1. scw

2. jenmermaidia

jenmermaidia

3. brianofthevine

brianofthevine

• Not as good as my last bottle. I wish I had read my last note which implies it was best right after opening. I let this sit in the decanter for 4 hours without tasting—lesson learned.
    Very pleasant, smooth tannins, alcohol integrated, nice fruit but not very concentrated and not much else. Seemed like something was missing. Maybe getting past its prime. One bottle left and I will drink soonish with PnP.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (5)

• Very dark red/purple color. PNP, drank 2 glasses over 4 hours plus, served at cellar temp and maintained. The nose is very ripe, bursting with black and blue fruits, black currant, boysenberry, pencil and a bit of dried herb. The palate is full bodied, dense and I'd have to call it jammy with ripe black currant and bluish fruit, there's a little tart black cherry, lots of glycerin, some gravel, well integrated tannins and not much oak showing now either. The balance is there though I question the structure to age much further. Probably at or near peak.

I opened this thinking my dad would love this style of wine. Personally, I'm not blown away as it appears most are that drink this wine. Surprisingly, my dad wasn't overly impressed either. He echoed that pretty much everything we've had over the last couple months was better. Guess I'm influencing his palate after all :). Now that's not a diss to the wine. It's fine, but as my dad also noted, rather monolithic. Yup, there's a ton of fruit there, and it is well balanced presently, but I just don't find that much of interest after that. I'm happy to drink a glass, then I'll gladly move on, but I have a harder time drinking a larger portion of a bottle without getting bored.

• Deep color, nose a little subdued, as is the structure, even though it remains evident. A touch past its prime, still really good.

• Awesome, awesome, awesome. Beautiful fruit, structured yet just enough hidden to allow the fruit to shine. Depth and then some. Nose matches the mouthfeel.

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• I did an experiment last night, tasting both the ‘08 and the ‘17 Myriad Dr Crane. A better scientist would have taken notes, but unfortunately I only have less detailed impressions to share.
    First of all, both were excellent. Much to my surprise, the ‘17 was by far better and very drinkable.
    But the ‘08 was still fantastic. Lovely big fruit aromas on pnp and hadn’t lost the big fruit despite the decade of age. The fruit was more mature but a nice mixture of red and black and plenty of spice and complexity. After an hour of drinking really well, it started to go downhill. After several hours the fruit was much more dilute with not so much to back it up. I think this still has a few years left, but it isn’t going to evolve into something better. And ‘dilute’ is a relative term, given that we were also drinking the ‘17 which was a ripe and luscious berry salad.
    This ‘experiment’ challenged a number of my assumptions:
    1. A wine with a few years on it will always be preferred to a super young one (esp Cabernet)
    2. Napa cabs are always better with air vs PnP. In this case, both wines were at their best immediately after opening.
    3. There were no great wines in ‘17, just ‘good considering the vintage.’ I think the ‘17 Dr Crane qualifies as a great wine regardless.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• By Stephen Tanzer
    Vintage Retrospective: The 2008 Napa Valley Cabernets (May 2018), 5/18/2018, (See more on Vinous...)

(Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard Napa Valley Red) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    New Releases from Napa Valley (Dec 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard St. Helena) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2011, IWC Issue #156, (See more on Vinous...)

(Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard Napa Valley) Login and sign up and see review text.