CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Sassicaia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sassicaia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sassicaia - 5/3/2023 11:37:20 AM   
MB1991

What's the best place to buy a couple of bottles of Sassicaia? I know wine-searcher can help me out but given the price of a bottle (high for me) I'd like to make sure to use a reputable seller for bottles where overall risk is lower.
Post #: 1
RE: Sassicaia - 5/3/2023 11:44:26 AM   
DoubleD1969

Where are you located? If you can get them down the street for $30 more than an online retailer that has to ship it to you, I’d pay the premium.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 2
RE: Sassicaia - 5/3/2023 11:51:16 AM   
MB1991

Charlotte NC.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Sassicaia - 5/3/2023 2:50:15 PM   
S1

It’s worth a call to Eric at Apex.
Sassicaia is not rare—should be easy to find.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 4
RE: Sassicaia - 5/4/2023 9:39:14 PM   
peeks13

It's Bordeaux blend grapes, it's red, it's Italy. Does anyone not like Sassicaia? It's like what a journalist wrote 15 years ago: if you can be watching The Wire, and you're not, then I can't be friends with you.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 5
RE: Sassicaia - 5/5/2023 12:02:03 AM   
ericindc

I dunno. I generally oppose super-tuscans in principle. Why drink spoofilated Bordeaux blends from Italy when you just get it from Bordeaux and then get the hundreds of other actually interesting wines from all the different Italian native grapes.

Having said that, I do have some San Leonardo.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 6
RE: Sassicaia - 5/5/2023 7:02:53 AM   
MB1991

It's a bottle I recall my dad growing up continuously talking about that he got a case of through some work relations and was 1 of his absolute favorites. Has more sentimental value than it does the actual wine. Would love to share a bottle with him when he hopefully finally becomes a grandfather. Either that or Cheval Blanc though that's a bit too rich for my blood.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 7
RE: Sassicaia - 5/5/2023 10:16:19 AM   
peeks13

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

I dunno. I generally oppose super-tuscans in principle. Why drink spoofilated Bordeaux blends from Italy when you just get it from Bordeaux and then get the hundreds of other actually interesting wines from all the different Italian native grapes.

Having said that, I do have some San Leonardo.

Agree with you there. But, Bordeaux blends + sangiovese is a pretty interesting blend.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 8
RE: Sassicaia - 5/5/2023 6:23:37 PM   
KPB

On my birthday ten or fifteen years ago, I happened to be in Italy and decided to spend the day in Sienna. Lovely city, and I found a good restaurant, and had fettuccini with white truffles and a bottle of Sassicaia. What an amazing meal, and day! Your dad has good taste…

< Message edited by KPB -- 5/5/2023 6:24:07 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 9
RE: Sassicaia - 5/6/2023 9:04:17 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

On my birthday ten or fifteen years ago, I happened to be in Italy and decided to spend the day in Sienna. Lovely city, and I found a good restaurant, and had fettuccini with white truffles and a bottle of Sassicaia. What an amazing meal, and day! Your dad has good taste…

Sounds like a great meal! I was lucky enough to visit Sienna recently, and ate and drank very well while I was there -- but sadly not quite that well. Now I know what I want to do for my birthday!

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Sassicaia - 5/6/2023 7:01:35 PM   
KPB

https://www.wineexpress.com/sassicaia-2020-tenuta-san-guido-bolgheri-sassicaia

Ken Birman

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 11
RE: Sassicaia - 5/6/2023 7:09:44 PM   
KPB

Sienna: so my story actually had a mean or funny or sad dimension, depending on your approach to the world.

To get to Sienna I got up at 6am in Pisa that day, and took a train. Very annoying interaction with some Mormon missionaries on the platform — I’m Jewish, which they took to mean “a potential customer”. To make matters worse they turned out to be in the train as well.

Then I had my fantastic day off in Sienna. While wandering around in Sienna, the same missionaries approached me, but I brushed them off.

The day actually ended with even more wine, and grappa, at an enotecha (regional wine library) that seems to have closed during Covid. A terrible loss if so: it was a five-star vaut-le-voyage kind of place. Just off scale amazing.

So, I’m on my train back to Pisa and yes, you guessed it, they approach me for what must have been the fifth or sixth time to share the good news. Seemingly no memory at all that they ever tried me out earlier... And I am very, very sorry to say that I seem to have been possessed by a daemon from hell right at that moment…. I fear that I may have left them with PTSD.

< Message edited by KPB -- 5/6/2023 7:12:47 PM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 12
RE: Sassicaia - 5/7/2023 3:33:30 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

Sienna: so my story actually had a mean or funny or sad dimension, depending on your approach to the world.

To get to Sienna I got up at 6am in Pisa that day, and took a train. Very annoying interaction with some Mormon missionaries on the platform — I’m Jewish, which they took to mean “a potential customer”. To make matters worse they turned out to be in the train as well.

Then I had my fantastic day off in Sienna. While wandering around in Sienna, the same missionaries approached me, but I brushed them off.

That would have been an awful start to the day. If you managed to brush them off as a humorous annoyance, then you'd be doing better than me.

quote:

The day actually ended with even more wine, and grappa, at an enotecha (regional wine library) that seems to have closed during Covid. A terrible loss if so: it was a five-star vaut-le-voyage kind of place. Just off scale amazing.

Was that the enoteca in the old city wall discussed in another thread? Yes, a great shame it closed. I had a few good meals in Sienna, but nothing revelatory.

quote:

So, I’m on my train back to Pisa and yes, you guessed it, they approach me for what must have been the fifth or sixth time to share the good news. Seemingly no memory at all that they ever tried me out earlier... And I am very, very sorry to say that I seem to have been possessed by a daemon from hell right at that moment…. I fear that I may have left them with PTSD.

Understandably, I hate to say. I'm normally a very quiet, patient person, but I think I'd have lost my temper with them at that point too. Or possibly retreated and hid somewhere. Either way, I don't think I'd have coped well with it. Hope it didn't spoil what otherwise sounds like a great day.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sassicaia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages