CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Beserkers Day 2020

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Beserkers Day 2020 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/6/2020 4:39:27 PM   
Wine Grove

I believe a lot of you guys on here are also visitors of winebeserkers? I am wondering about the upcoming Beserker day 11 (Jan.27th) , and 2 questions specifically, if any of you have experience and feedback.

1) Are there really amazing deals on wine sales, on Beserker day?

2) Is being a GCC Member worth it, as relates to making advanced purchase on Beserker day?

I believe that Wine Beserker community, like CT here , has a lot of value for people whether ITB or casual partakers like myself. I have personally just had no real involvement other than reading a few threads on there.

Post #: 1
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/6/2020 5:28:37 PM   
S1

1) Yes
2) Yes

I bought 8-10 cases last year, plus Grassl stems, plus olive oil/vinegar/fish/shellfish from Veleta. I don't regret any of my purchases.

Plus, Ridge is 'IN' this year...

LOTS of knowledge on Berserkers; I wish more winemakers, winery owners, and other ITB people posted on CT.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 2
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/6/2020 5:46:21 PM   
CranBurgundy

Berserker Day is very popular because of the deals. It sucks me in, kicking and screaming, almost every year despite my vow to avoid it.

The Berserker forum, however, is replete with members who nitpick mundane minutia, even as trivial as grammar and punctuation. This place is much nicer and fun. Like Scott, I wish we could get more posts here from the Roy Pipers and Karen Troisis ( i.e. the good people) of the wine world so I wouldn't have to slog through trite arguments in threads on Berserkers to see their contributions.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/6/2020 8:12:50 PM   
skifree

Just to add some diversity of thought:

1) Yes, good and interesting deals.
2) No. Last year I bought what I wanted late on the 27th, once I could see all deals. As I recall, you don't see all the deals on the preview - just a select number. That wasn't worth $25 to me. Since I rarely look at Berserkers and almost never post, removing the ads is not a big benefit to me.

Good hunting on the 27th!

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/6/2020 8:38:44 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove
1) Are there really amazing deals on wine sales, on Beserker day?

2) Is being a GCC Member worth it, as relates to making advanced purchase on Beserker day?

1) Yah, more and more diverse with the deals, so bound to find something interesting. Used to buy more of the wine, now more of the food/random stuff as the deals tend to lean new world (Cali/OR) more so than say high end burg/rhone deals.

2) It's not worth it for making advanced purchases.. not for $25, as you'll find most deals are still available the next day.
that said having been a member of the forum for 10 years, i've learned a ton from it, gotten travel advice etc.. so to pay $25 to support it is worthwhile to me.. but that's really more a personal decision, not hinged upon Berserker day.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 5
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 6:59:22 AM   
wineismylife

On the flip side it doesn't do anything for me. I think I've bought something one time in all these years that I was planning on buying anyway and bought it via Berserkers instead for the added discount.

I still donate to the site. I enjoy posting and reading over there.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 6
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 7:41:33 AM   
markandsusanw

I've had mixed results on Berserker Days. The deals are sometimes great, sometimes mediocre, but I've never had an issue missing out on something (at least not that I know of) as a non-subscriber. And given how the last thing I need is more wine, it's fine if I do miss something.

Can heartily recommend the Grassl stems. They're great glasses, my favorite by far and we also own Zalto and Gabrial Glass, two other forum favorites. Chris Freemott had an extraordinary deal last year, and always provides exemplary, above and beyond service.

I've found some great wines, and excellent producers via Berserkers buys, including Virage, Laiger Meredith and EMH Black Cat. As well as non-wine producers like Holy Grail steaks (another that has stellar products and service to match) and Veleta Spanish imports.

There are some past forum threads here talking about what people bought on Berserkers' Day. Here's last year's: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=464309&mpage=1&key=berserker񱘔

< Message edited by markandsusanw -- 1/7/2020 7:43:47 AM >

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 7
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 7:43:53 AM   
GalvezGuy

I usually get something from Veleta. Might bite on some Ridge if the price is right.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 8
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 9:15:32 AM   
brettlaurvick

I wasn't impressed with the Veleta Olive Oil. Thought it was average and waited about 7/8 months after Berserker Day to get it.
Love my Grassl glasses though and bought 2017 Riverain Cab for $85 each. I'm sure something will suck me in again.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 9
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 9:29:39 AM   
Slye

I agree that the deals vary in quality -- some are marked down substantially, and others a bit but not more than you might get in sales throughout the year.

I will echo the Grassl stems praise, and Chris Freemont's stellar customer service. The glasses are first rate and he has given some great deals on them in the past. I also like the Veleta foods -- particularly the olive oil, tuna, and sardines. It is also a good way to get a sampler of a new producer (if only new to you) to see if you like their wine or not.

I would guess that those who say you do not miss out by getting the day preview are probably right. I contribute $25 for two reasons. First, as others have mentioned, to support a service and forum that I generally like (though CT is a much more friendly community; some of the people on WB may have too much time on their hands and view some comments as directed against them personally when they are not, or who like to spark controversy -- but that is the new norm on the internet I guess). Having said that (and to echo Bob below which I am doing by editing my post!), there are people there who have enormous knowledge and experience. I have learned tons about different wines, how they are made, when best to drink them, and which ones are gems that are worth seeking out. Second, I like to have a bit more time to search through the deals to come up with a plan and priority list of what I want. So I spend part of the day before looking at the deals and coming up with a list -- and then letting it sit for a day helps me to avoid impulse buys (though I might be fooling myself here!).

< Message edited by Slye -- 1/7/2020 2:31:54 PM >

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 10
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 10:04:53 AM   
MaineMark

I will make a plug for one of the new producers that is going to be offered this year: Terrien Chardonnay

(Note: I have zero affiliation, and no benefit. I just like the wine, and had a nice email exchange with the owner.)

Terrien Wines is a very small Chardonnay producer in Sonoma that makes a very old-world style Chardonnay, that is really built for aging (they are great at 10+ years). The prices are already very reasonable for the quality (around $3$40/bottle on his website), and I believe he is going to offer some major discounts for Berserker Day to try to introduce more people his wine.

To make a more generic point, a number of small producers use BD as a good way to introduce a large audience to their product, and some of them have become quite successful as a result.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 11
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 1:19:21 PM   
BobMilton

I joined WB a few months after sending Eric my first payment for CT (about 10 years ago). BerserkerDay deals are worth it, but choose carefully else your credit card melt. GCC not only supports the community, and gives you a one day head start on most of BerserkerDay, it also gets rid of the ads.

As to the community, there are folks over there who are, not to coin a phrase, berserk. But there are also quite a few winemakers/grape growers who provide some interesting information on the business. Two who come to mind are Larry Schaffer from Tercero and Merrill Lindguist from EMH Vineyards. So go give it a look and see what you think.

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 12
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 2:57:47 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

If you make a wine purchase on Berserkers day will most vendors/wineries hold the shipment until spring or is that something that needs to be worked out on a case-by-case basis?

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 13
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 3:47:40 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: ImUrHuckleberry

If you make a wine purchase on Berserkers day will most vendors/wineries hold the shipment until spring or is that something that needs to be worked out on a case-by-case basis?

They'll ship when shipping windows open... most places you buy from are used to selling quite a bit of wine and have the whole shipping thing down.
it's not the same as buying from private individuals so i wouldn't worry too much.

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 14
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 3:56:49 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

I joined WB a few months after sending Eric my first payment for CT (about 10 years ago). BerserkerDay deals are worth it, but choose carefully else your credit card melt. GCC not only supports the community, and gives you a one day head start on most of BerserkerDay, it also gets rid of the ads.

As to the community, there are folks over there who are, not to coin a phrase, berserk. But there are also quite a few winemakers/grape growers who provide some interesting information on the business. Two who come to mind are Larry Schaffer from Tercero and Merrill Lindguist from EMH Vineyards. So go give it a look and see what you think.

and
Kevin Harvey, TRB (occasionally), Jeremy Seysses, Kurt Beitler, Justin Smith, Adam Lee, Marcus Goodfellow, Morgan Twain Peterson, Mike Smith (occasionally), Dan Kravitz...
plus
lots of small, boutique winery owners.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 15
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 4:02:37 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1
Mike Smith (occasionally)

When has Mike Smith chimed in on a WB thread? can you shoot me (PM if preferred) a link?
when i met him he said he lurks but never posts.. i've been looking to see if he ever changed that practice :)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 16
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/7/2020 7:24:48 PM   
PSUSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1
Mike Smith (occasionally)

When has Mike Smith chimed in on a WB thread? can you shoot me (PM if preferred) a link?
when i met him he said he lurks but never posts.. i've been looking to see if he ever changed that practice :)

I don’t think Mike has posted but it looks like Leah has posted 21 times.

Good wine is a necessity of life to me. - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 17
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/8/2020 10:12:38 AM   
ckinv368

Have never purchased anything on Berserkerday. Have friends who swear by it, but I don't feel like I've missed out on a whole lot . . . change my mind??

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 18
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/8/2020 10:15:32 AM   
GalvezGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckinv368

Have never purchased anything on Berserkerday. Have friends who swear by it, but I don't feel like I've missed out on a whole lot . . . change my mind??

Next time we are together I will produce a bottle of EMH Black Cat Cab. That might change your mind.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 19
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/8/2020 10:26:29 AM   
ob2s

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

I usually get something from Veleta. Might bite on some Ridge if the price is right.

Seems to me that Suntory woudn't let the prices go too low.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 20
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/8/2020 1:16:07 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Seems to me that Suntory woudn't let the prices go too low.

I don't follow. What does Suntory have to do with it?

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 21
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/21/2020 7:31:29 AM   
Mike Evans

My two cents:

While there are some terrific deals on BD, the more compelling reason for me to participate is getting exposed to producers I wouldn’t otherwise know about. Several producers who I tried for the first time because of BD are now regular purchases, including Briceland, EMH, Vincent, Goodfellow, Riverain, and Paetra, and there are many others that I have tried and enjoyed. After drinking almost 70 bottles acquired on various BDs I can report that I have rarely been disappointed.

I find that GCC status is worth it even if only for BD for two reasons. First, there have been offerings from Berserker Businesses that have sold out or only been available to subscribers on the preview day. Second, and far more valuable, is that it gives me the opportunity to review all of the offers in advance and prepare a strategy and budget. It can be easy to buy too much too soon by getting caught up in the excitement of early offers when you don’t know what is coming next. Lack of planning can also lead to buying more of a particular style or variety than you really want or need. Finally, planning helps to avoid busting your budget and/or storage space in a storm of irrational exuberance. The deals can be compelling, but $150 for 6 bottles here, $100 for 4 bottles there, and both the dollars and number of bottles can add up quickly.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 22
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/21/2020 10:20:13 AM   
BobMilton

Exploring new producers is my main reason for BD as well. Have never had a dog, and some become repeat buys. This year seems to have a bunch of new producers, so I fear my credit card will burst into flames!

(in reply to Mike Evans)
Post #: 23
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/21/2020 1:23:57 PM   
recotte

BD is a fun event. I don't typically get carried away with the wine, but I have used it as an opportunity to selectively sample new (to me) producers, like EMH and JB Neufeld. I've also purchased Gabriel Glas stems.

But for me, the main attraction is the Flannery beef. I've made it a personal annual tradition to buy some truly top notch steaks. Not that you can't get them other times of the year, but it's nice to save a few bucks.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 24
RE: Beserkers Day 2020 - 1/21/2020 6:02:03 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Evans

My two cents:

While there are some terrific deals on BD, the more compelling reason for me to participate is getting exposed to producers I wouldn’t otherwise know about. Several producers who I tried for the first time because of BD are now regular purchases, including Briceland, EMH, Vincent, Goodfellow, Riverain, and Paetra, and there are many others that I have tried and enjoyed. After drinking almost 70 bottles acquired on various BDs I can report that I have rarely been disappointed.

I find that GCC status is worth it even if only for BD for two reasons. First, there have been offerings from Berserker Businesses that have sold out or only been available to subscribers on the preview day. Second, and far more valuable, is that it gives me the opportunity to review all of the offers in advance and prepare a strategy and budget. It can be easy to buy too much too soon by getting caught up in the excitement of early offers when you don’t know what is coming next. Lack of planning can also lead to buying more of a particular style or variety than you really want or need. Finally, planning helps to avoid busting your budget and/or storage space in a storm of irrational exuberance. The deals can be compelling, but $150 for 6 bottles here, $100 for 4 bottles there, and both the dollars and number of bottles can add up quickly.

Mike knows what he's talking about.
Stay strong, champ.

(in reply to Mike Evans)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Beserkers Day 2020 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI