CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Tasting fees

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tasting fees Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Tasting fees

<15 bucks
  16% (9)
Up to $20
  21% (12)
Up to $25
  25% (14)
$25-$50
  14% (8)
$50+
  21% (12)

Total Votes : 55

(last vote on : 9/16/2018 5:38:06 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 12:43:02 PM   
S1

As HRH and I wander through Napa and Sonoma valleys, I started to wonder about attitudes toward tasting fees. I realize that there are many variables such as fees waived for purchase, fees waived for club/list members, whether or not a vineyard tour and winery tour are included. So feel free to vote as many times as you like and then explain. What is your tasting fee tolerance level?

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 12:49:04 PM   
BRR

I voted for, "Up to $25." I have no problem paying for tastings, and even prefer to so I don't feel "obligated" to buy wine if I don't like it. That being said, if they don't credit the tasting fee toward wine purchases, even if it's for a minimum number of bottles, I'm out the door. This isn't a bar, and I don't treat it as such, so don't nickle-and-dime me if I buy a bunch of your wine.

Cheers!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 1:30:51 PM   
oskiwawa

We seldom do more than 2 tastings in a day and never more than three. For us an afternoon tasting with high end wines and some library selections is well worth the $50+ range in many cases. We usually mix a couple of these into a four day visit.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 3
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 1:31:08 PM   
CranBurgundy

There's a charge to take a few sips of wine that the producer hopes you'll buy? I thought that was filed under "marketing samples". Now, if the tasting comes with food pairings, then I'll pay a few bucks.

.... and I agree with BRR - the fee should be applied towards any purchase made while you're still in the tasting room..

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 4
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 1:32:34 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR
I have no problem paying for tastings, and even prefer to so I don't feel "obligated" to buy wine if I don't like it. That being said, if they don't credit the tasting fee toward wine purchases, even if it's for a minimum number of bottles, I'm out the door. This isn't a bar, and I don't treat it as such, so don't nickle-and-dime me if I buy a bunch of your wine.

Agreed, at a reasonable (up to $15) level I don't understand the details of the business model, but $50 + seems to be aimed at making the tasting a profit centre in its own right - just like a bar

But I still appreciate the general Australian practice of no fee (it makes it easier at those places which are pushing fees generally, and particularly for their premium offerings (like Penfolds charging $x00 for a Grange tasting with a $200 credit for buying))

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 5
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 1:36:48 PM   
DoubleD1969

I feel like you get what you pay for with the quality of the wine and tasting fees in Napa. I understand most wineries now are no longer owned by families from the 60s and 70s and that they need to somehow pay for the consultant winemakers. I do like the ones who will waive their fees if you purchase a bottle or two of their wines.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 6
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 1:37:48 PM   
GalvezGuy

I don't mind a fee as long as I can apply it toward purchase.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 7
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 2:10:30 PM   
vinopkm

+1

However, Napa tasting fees are pretty ridiculous at times... Paso is following suit, at least IMHO.... However, Sonoma, especially in the Dry Creek and Healdsburg area is still amazing, free or at max $10.

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

I don't mind a fee as long as I can apply it toward purchase.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 8
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 2:13:09 PM   
BobMilton

When I object to the fee is when they equal or exceed the cost of s typical bottle from that producer. Most of Paso and Santa Barbara are reasonable. Napa is getting insane ($65 for a two wine tasting at Alpha Omega? Really?) Haven't been to Sonoma in a while, but they used to be reasonable.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 9
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 2:56:05 PM   
PinotPhile

What's the response if you expect tasting fee to be waived with 1-2 bottle purchase or, at the least, applied to any purchases? I'm talking a standard tasting without tour, etc.

Asking as I pre-select all tasting room visits and we really don't visit unless we know we'll purchase.

And we surely don't need to keep the glass.

None of the above?

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 6/28/2018 2:59:19 PM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 2:59:30 PM   
oskiwawa

I think Bob has a good point. I will amend my vote and go for multiple categories

- show up into a generic tasting room and they poor 2-4 tastes from a $20-$30 wine - free to $10 and it should be refundable with a purchase

- You have a small meeting with a knowledgeable person and they pour higher end $40-$75$ wines - I have no issues with $20 type tasting fees. Should also be refundable

- It is an event tasting. Wines are high end $75+ and include library selections. The tasting is private or semi-private and last 90 minutes or more - I have no issues with $50+

< Message edited by oskiwawa -- 6/28/2018 5:08:11 PM >

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 11
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 3:44:01 PM   
musedir

Guess I’m cheap... I said up to $20 for the tasting. Maybe I was thinking about $30-50 wines. I can’t remember what a full range tasting at Rasa costs but its awfully darn good. So many of the WA wineries I enjoy are free since I’m a member (although currently in a hiatus).

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 12
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 5:34:34 PM   
mtpisgah

For me it depends on the experience and the wines we taste. We went to a winery in OR and did a walk in tasting which is mainly what they offered. For $5 each we were served four or five wines and given no explanation other than what variety they were. The tasting was worth what we paid, and that is it.

We we have been to a tasting where the fee was $75 each and featured eight or nine wines paired with cheese and charcuterie with a great discussion. It was worth what we paid for it, and more. They comped the fee since we bought a case of pricey juice.

We have been to tastings at wineries where we have been customers for years and the tastings are free, and we always buy more wine.

We went to Lewelling and had a private tasting with cheese and crackers, toured the site, a great presentation and were sent home with the bottle that they had opened for us. No fee. It was worth at least $50 each. And we are still on the waiting list.

A good experience is worth a fee, maybe a big fee. High end wines are worth a bigger fee. A tasting with an owner, winemaker, high level employee is worth something. A tasting that is more like bar service, is only worth a few bucks. Comped fee if we buy three or four bottles is good.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 13
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 5:55:06 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

A good experience is worth a fee, maybe a big fee. High end wines are worth a bigger fee. A tasting with an owner, winemaker, high level employee is worth something. A tasting that is more like bar service, is only worth a few bucks. Comped fee if we buy three or four bottles is good.

More or less my thoughts on the subject.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 14
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 6:00:16 PM   
Chip Merlot

quote:

+1 ... I clicked on all the choices because I've paid them all. Having said that, some free tastings were my favorite--not because they were free, but just because they were great. Paid $75 at Schramsberg because I was told it was a must and because two other places we went were free, so I figured it all evened out, and it was interesting but not worth $75 (full disclosure, I'm not big on bubbles).

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 15
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 6:08:03 PM   
S1

So far this week we have spent 15 bucks on tasting fees
(Combination of being on lists, purchasing at the tasting, and comped fees because of connections)

@mtpisgah, Haley tasted us on four wines, fed us snacks and apologetically sent us home with a bottle because she had forgotten to chill it. That’s a good way to get me to buy more. BTW, I am HIGH on Hayfork right now. Go long.
Copain poured 15 wines, including library selections (and gave us heavy snacks)
Alex Mc decanted our wine 8 hrs before an 11:00 a.m. tasting and then spent a couple of hours with us.
Karen and John T poured us everything they make.
Continuum gave us a full tour of the property and winery, and a tasting of 2 expensive wines (with food).

I will continue to support these places directly rather than trying to save a few bucks per bottle by searching for internet going out of business sales.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 16
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 7:42:33 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

More or less my thoughts on the subject.

My fees in Asheville and next trip to Oxnard just went up! 😁

My poll answer was up to $25. I like the freedom the fee provides to walk away. Since my “high end” purchase comfort level rarely exceeds $75 I’m not tasting wines above range either that warrants bigger fees for me. Only time we made an exception was at Trefethen in Napa. Maybe $100 and it an impersonal albeit private tasting that felt like cattle drive for wines the were good but not great. My most recent Napa trip had a $75 comped since was with a Napa winemaker, otherwise I would 180 and left when told the fee.

Washington passed a law banning free tastings maybe 5 years ago but some places mocked that with $1 fee, but $5-10 is mostly standard.

I’m actually ambivalent about waving fee with purchase because I seemed to have ended up with a lot of pity bottles that way that I’d later have to purge.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 6/28/2018 7:47:15 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 17
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 10:44:46 PM   
forceberry

It sure is a different culture there across the pond.

In most parts of Europe I'd give a weird look if someone asked for 5€ for a tasting in a winery and probably I'd just pass the whole thing if asked for more, since it's free in most parts here. Visiting Santorini, it was quite a shock to me that some wineries not only charged for the tastings, but a tasting set could be up to 20€ in some places. In other places it was completely free.

Of course I understand that there's a difference whether you are a small winery in the middle of nowhere in a non-touristic region vs. if you are a big and popular region in a touristic region with lots of daily visitors and a dedicated tasting room that's constantly staffed. In the latter case I find it perfectly understandable to charge for the tasting. However, seeing how I often visit something like 4-5 wineries a day for several days, I consider $15 already a ridiculous price - especially if it's only samples of something like 3 or 4 wines. $50 sounds like absurd to me and I don't understand why anybody would be willing to pay such a price for a winery tasting, unless it included a full winery tour, 6-course dinner and a foot massage.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 18
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 11:14:40 PM   
pclin

Always prefer to pay a fee so I don’t feel bad about not buying anything to bring home.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 19
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 11:25:08 PM   
Tanatastic

Tasting fees?!?! I already spend enough on wine without making it more expensive.

Outside the huge producers, its not something I've ever come across in Europe. I'd feel it was like being charged for a test drive of a new car. Or like those ridiculous clothes producers who charge you for their catalogues.

And I spit most of the stuff out when I'm driving anyway!

< Message edited by Tanatastic -- 6/28/2018 11:27:20 PM >

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 20
RE: Tasting fees - 6/28/2018 11:25:29 PM   
KPB

Agree with pclin and clicked $25-50. I’ve paid $75 but felt that it was just way too high...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 21
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 2:25:51 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanatastic
Tasting fees?!?! I already spend enough on wine without making it more expensive.

Outside the huge producers, its not something I've ever come across in Europe. I'd feel it was like being charged for a test drive of a new car. Or like those ridiculous clothes producers who charge you for their catalogues.

Tasting fees are more of a North America thing. In some cases, it is used to deter binge tastings. In Napa, supply and demand has driven fees to crazy levels.

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 22
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 2:37:25 AM   
pclin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

quote:

Tasting fees are more of a North America thing. In some cases, it is used to deter binge tastings. In Napa, supply and demand has driven fees to crazy levels.

You do need to pay for tastings in Germany and Australia too.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 23
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 3:26:22 AM   
musedir

A good experience is worth a fee, maybe a big fee. High end wines are worth a bigger fee. A tasting with an owner, winemaker, high level employee is worth something. A tasting that is more like bar service, is only worth a few bucks.

Paul, now that I think about this more, you are correct. A tasting just poured and saying this is our Chardonnay is really useless for people who want to know more. But to have a half-hour or more with the owner or winemaker (or both) and drink quality high end wines is an experience that you remember for a long time. And especially if you buy something and suddenly they say, your tasting fee is comped..

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 24
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 3:27:13 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

You do need to pay for tastings in Germany and Australia too.

Can't remember having to pay for any tastings during winery visits in Germany.

Of course it might have to do with me often visiting smaller unknown wineries and usually with a bunch of like-minded wine geeks, so it's pretty much given that they'll sell some bottles anyway. But still, no, haven't paid for tastings in Germany.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 25
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 3:28:41 AM   
forceberry

quote:

This pretty much sums it up.

The binge drinking part is aweird explanation. How can you binge wine when somebody is pouring you small samples?

My CT profile

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 26
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 4:41:11 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

The binge drinking part is aweird explanation. How can you binge wine when somebody is pouring you small samples?

Maybe "binge" was a little strong. I believe he's talking about going from winery to winery, drinking as much as you can for free. I've read stories of rowdy crowds out on tasting tours.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 27
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 5:37:08 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Maybe "binge" was a little strong. I believe he's talking about going from winery to winery, drinking as much as you can for free. I've read stories of rowdy crowds out on tasting tours.

I think binge is an entirely accurate description. Many times tasting room are clustered in close walking distance, 5-6 one ounce pours times 10+ tasting rooms within a couple of hours adds up to binge drinking. Limos or vans often shuttle people room to room just as quickly. Servers are trained to refuse service, but rarely enforce that.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 28
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 5:44:48 AM   
River Rat

I taste with the intention to buy so I prefer the fee be waived with purchase. Therefor the amount of the fee is moot. Then again I don’t go tasting often.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 29
RE: Tasting fees - 6/29/2018 6:27:39 AM   
S1

quote:

quote:

This pretty much sums it up.

While we at Copain yesterday, a limo arrived and a group of people stumbled into their fourth tasting of the day.

I've never paid a fee in Europe but tasting rooms have become money makers for many wines in the US. One simply needs to drive through Napa valley traffic on a weekend to realize that wineries would go broke offering unlimited free samples.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tasting fees Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI