CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

No Soup For You

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> No Soup For You Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:00:38 AM   
GalvezGuy

How many of us got the latest e-mail from Cayuse? A majority of the 15s will not be shipped to customers due to bad corks.

< Message edited by GalvezGuy -- 10/25/2017 10:22:52 AM >

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.
Post #: 1
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:07:59 AM   
musedir

Just silence... I’ve never made it into the soup line, let alone getting a bowl.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 2
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:08:50 AM   
mclancy10006

I guess I am not even in the first wave of no soup emails. :)

-Mark

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 3
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:13:25 AM   
dsGris

Saved a bit of money, but getting a magnum of the '14 WW.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 4
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:27:31 AM   
skifree

Here is the bulk of the email I just received.

Since 1997, we at Cayuse Vineyards have been dedicated to creating world-class wines. We are committed to biodynamic farming and our mission is to produce wine that is the best possible representation of our unique terroir. We simply will not release a wine that doesn't meet our rigorous standards.

Earlier this year, in preparation for the May bottling of many of our 2015 wines, we purchased the highest quality corks from our long time supplier. Despite taking every possible step to ensure that we are crafting the best wines possible, during bottling we discovered paraffin particulates caused by faulty corks.

We stopped bottling immediately and we contacted the cork supplier right away. They told us they knew what the problem was with the first lot of corks and they assured us we could proceed with bottling the rest of the wines using a second separate lot of corks.

After bottling, we checked periodically to be certain there were no problems and to see how the wines were developing. When we discovered the presence of paraffin and an oily film in the wines bottled with the second lot of corks we decided to bring in industry experts to help analyze the wines. Their analysis included a Military-Style Protocol Sampling which confirmed the entire bottling was defective. We agree with the conclusions of the experts and as a result we will not be releasing any of the wines from our May bottling.

We have been working diligently with our insurance company to ensure that each customer receives a full refund for the following wines as soon as possible:
2015 Bionic Frog Syrah
2015 Cailloux Vineyard Syrah
2015 Camaspelo
2015 En Cerise Vineyard Syrah
2015 En Chamberlin Vineyard Syrah
2015 Flying Pig
2015 Impulsivo Tempranillo
2015 Wallah Wallah Special Syrah #8 Magnums
2015 Widowmaker Cabernet Sauvignon
We are devastated at the loss of these wines which includes 2,995 cases (750ml) and 2,678 magnums. As you all know, there is considerable anticipation for the 2015 vintage from Cayuse Vineyards and the wines were outstanding prior to that bottling in May. In March, just two months before that bottling, Jeb Dunnuck of The Wine Advocate tasted barrel samples of these wines and scored them between 93 and 100 points. We are extremely disappointed to have produced such beautiful wines that we are now unable to release.

Not all is lost. The rest of the 2015 vintage (bottled in August 2016 and July 2017) remains pristine. The following wines will be distributed, as planned:
2015 Edith Grenache Rosé
2015 Cailloux Vineyard Viognier
2015 God Only Knows Grenache
2015 Armada Vineyard Syrah
2015 The Lovers
Cayuse Vineyards is passionately committed to creating world-class wines. We thank each of you for your ongoing loyalty, support and understanding. We know that you share our disappointment. Obviously this was beyond our control and we're very sorry.
We really appreciate your ongoing trust.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 5
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:30:56 AM   
Hollowine

Ho-ly-F*******CCCCCKKKKKKK

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 6
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:33:16 AM   
cartey

Oh wow.
That is most unfortunate...

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 7
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:58:24 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Wow. This is more like No Soup for Anybody. Admirable in my opinion of Cayuse to cancel an (almost) entire vintage of shipment, but remarkable the cork provider messed this up so badly.

Any news on No Girls, Horsepower?

Who else is possibly affected by using this same lot of corks that will deliver the wines anyway?

I heard a similar story to this in Napa back in January, a winery had a whole lot of bad corks, no seals was their problem discovered after distribution of most of the wine, and they recalled and rebottled ~20,000 cases of white wine. They were fortunate the wine was still okay, but the cost of recall and rebottle had to be adsorbed by somebody, cork company, insurance, or the winery itself.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 8
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 10:59:43 AM   
mclancy10006

that is more like a no soup for anyone... That sucks A LOT.

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 9
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 11:04:34 AM   
lockestep

Unreal. You see the problem and stop, get a second batch, get the OK to use them.
And then lose the whole batch.
Quick back of the hand estimate of 4.25 million dollars worth of wine.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 10
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 11:06:18 AM   
Slye

Yeah -- what a blow to them. Though I must say I am impressed that they are handling it the way they are. I assume the cork producer and/or insurance will cover their losses. In the long run it is smart customer service on their part (which has always been my experience with Cayuse).

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 11
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 11:16:55 AM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

Yeah -- what a blow to them. Though I must say I am impressed that they are handling it the way they are. I assume the cork producer and/or insurance will cover their losses. In the long run it is smart customer service on their part (which has always been my experience with Cayuse).

Agree, admirable choice on their part. Now comes the even harder part - getting the $$ to send us the refunds.

I wonder if it is worth the effort to save the bottles? Anybody know what one of these heavier Syrah bottles costs?

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 12
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 11:28:01 AM   
Slye

That is a good point about the bottles. I don't see why they could not reuse them.

I also wonder if the wine is irretrievably bad or whether they sell it to the generic wine market, or make a separate label, or who knows? I guess it depends on the effect of the paraffin on the wine. Some commentators on Wineberserkers think it would not be dangerous to drink -- which of course does not answer the question if it tastes pleasant or not.

Still, I feel bad for them. A lot of work gone down the drain (I did not intend the pun, but will take it).

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 13
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 12:19:02 PM   
WineGuyCO

Might be time for Cayuse screw tops???? Seems like this is something that shouldn't happen this day and age.

Rick

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 14
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 12:59:11 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Anybody know what one of these heavier Syrah bottles costs?
I estimate in the range of ~$1.50 a piece when bought by the pallet. Costs more to ship them empty individually than to buy new glass. And recycle handling costs are more than the bottle too.

I bought a pallet of mid weight Burgundy shape for $6.50/case plus shipping from Westside this fall, less than half what premium bottles cost and still more than some. My math on the glass has convinced me it is easier and much cheaper to buy new than recycle anything that has ever seen any wine, glue, cork, seal, etc... after doing both previously.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 15
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 1:04:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I believe a paper or resin filter following a bit of a chill would easily remove paraffin, and oil. But dumping bottles, then reblending and bottling would incur expense, and final product would for sure have a different profile vs. "normal" bottling then aging aging. There might be soluble organics that would be harder to remove and developing a selective RO membrane to target unwanted compounds vs. good wine flavors would be elusive to say the least.

We do this at my day job with fruit juices, but our apples are bit easier to replace than Rocks Syrah.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 16
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 1:10:30 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

Might be time for Cayuse screw tops????

Rick

👍

Would so love to see that.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 17
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 2:13:24 PM   
mye

Major bummer... Impressed with the way they handled it..

silver lining- unexpected wine fund opens up..

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 18
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 2:17:41 PM   
dsGris

A new Mystery wine coming soon to an etailer near you.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 19
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 2:40:45 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

A new Mystery wine coming soon to an etailer near you.

I guess if you see "waxy" in the critic's description you know it's 2015 Cayuse.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 20
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 2:54:26 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

Exactly my thought. Going to try to resist and not use it to purchase more!

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 21
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 2:57:19 PM   
Slye

Waxy and oily -- similar to the descriptions of some Rieslings. Perhaps the mystery wine will be described as "a red from a cult winery that crosses over the heretofore impenetrable divide between Syrah and Riesling." There will of course be more hyped up and flowery language.....

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 22
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 3:46:31 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

That's a VERY bad idea. The Wine Gods might smite you for redistributing funds that were already earmarked for wine purchases to any other area, even savings. I think mye has the right idea - simply buy another producer's product. Much safer that way since there's no risk of a stray lightning bolt frying you.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 23
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 4:23:17 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

Waxy and oily -- similar to the descriptions of some Rieslings. Perhaps the mystery wine will be described as "a red from a cult winery that crosses over the heretofore impenetrable divide between Syrah and Riesling." There will of course be more hyped up and flowery language.....

Paging Jon Rimmerman...paging Jon Rimmerman...

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 10/26/2017 6:30:59 AM >

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 24
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 6:45:06 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

That's a VERY bad idea. The Wine Gods might smite you for redistributing funds that were already earmarked for wine purchases to any other area, even savings. I think mye has the right idea - simply buy another producer's product. Much safer that way since there's no risk of a stray lightning bolt frying you.

Oh dear. Lions and tigers and bears, oh no!

Heading to winesearcher immediately! :-)

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 25
RE: No Soup For You - 10/25/2017 8:30:49 PM   
jmcmchi

Will they convert to screwcap? Maybe do a Grosset and get all the Rocks producers to switch at once?

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 26
RE: No Soup For You - 10/26/2017 1:01:03 AM   
forceberry

quote:

A little bit of off topic here, but actually that "impenetrable divide" has been already crossed before!

One of my friends who works in the wine business said that at some point in the early 2010's there were a few producers from Chile who made Syrah wines that showed very prominent and unmistakably Riesling-like petrol character. Served blind in opaque black glasses, you'd first guess would be a petrolly Riesling, not a Syrah.

We thought the culprit might be commercial yeasts. It is not a secret that most Chilean wineries are using commercial yeasts, which is why practically all the red wines from Chile taste like Cabernet Sauvignon, no matter what grape variety the wines are made from. We assumed that there must have been some kind of mix-up with the yeast packets there, and a "Riesling yeast" culture that accentuates petrol aromas in the wine was packaged into a packet labeled for red wine yeast cultures. At least that would be the most ligical explanation how and why some Syrah wines from a handful of producers would suddenly become Rieslings in one or two vintages.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 27
RE: No Soup For You - 10/26/2017 6:56:30 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Here is the bulk of the email I just received.

Since 1997, we at Cayuse Vineyards have been dedicated to creating world-class wines. We are committed to biodynamic farming and our mission is to produce wine that is the best possible representation of our unique terroir. We simply will not release a wine that doesn't meet our rigorous standards.

Earlier this year, in preparation for the May bottling of many of our 2015 wines, we purchased the highest quality corks from our long time supplier. Despite taking every possible step to ensure that we are crafting the best wines possible, during bottling we discovered paraffin particulates caused by faulty corks.

We stopped bottling immediately and we contacted the cork supplier right away. They told us they knew what the problem was with the first lot of corks and they assured us we could proceed with bottling the rest of the wines using a second separate lot of corks.

After bottling, we checked periodically to be certain there were no problems and to see how the wines were developing. When we discovered the presence of paraffin and an oily film in the wines bottled with the second lot of corks we decided to bring in industry experts to help analyze the wines. Their analysis included a Military-Style Protocol Sampling which confirmed the entire bottling was defective. We agree with the conclusions of the experts and as a result we will not be releasing any of the wines from our May bottling.

We have been working diligently with our insurance company to ensure that each customer receives a full refund for the following wines as soon as possible:
2015 Bionic Frog Syrah
2015 Cailloux Vineyard Syrah
2015 Camaspelo
2015 En Cerise Vineyard Syrah
2015 En Chamberlin Vineyard Syrah
2015 Flying Pig
2015 Impulsivo Tempranillo
2015 Wallah Wallah Special Syrah #8 Magnums
2015 Widowmaker Cabernet Sauvignon
We are devastated at the loss of these wines which includes 2,995 cases (750ml) and 2,678 magnums. As you all know, there is considerable anticipation for the 2015 vintage from Cayuse Vineyards and the wines were outstanding prior to that bottling in May. In March, just two months before that bottling, Jeb Dunnuck of The Wine Advocate tasted barrel samples of these wines and scored them between 93 and 100 points. We are extremely disappointed to have produced such beautiful wines that we are now unable to release.

Not all is lost. The rest of the 2015 vintage (bottled in August 2016 and July 2017) remains pristine. The following wines will be distributed, as planned:
2015 Edith Grenache Rosé
2015 Cailloux Vineyard Viognier
2015 God Only Knows Grenache
2015 Armada Vineyard Syrah
2015 The Lovers
Cayuse Vineyards is passionately committed to creating world-class wines. We thank each of you for your ongoing loyalty, support and understanding. We know that you share our disappointment. Obviously this was beyond our control and we're very sorry.
We really appreciate your ongoing trust.

I'm speechless. F*ck...

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 28
RE: No Soup For You - 10/26/2017 8:29:38 AM   
BRR

Kudos to the Cayuse team for treating this the way they have and making a tough decision. Like others, I'm disappointed, but I'm also pretty stoked to see an unexpected refund come through (at some point...not sure when)! I'm glad I have three GOK coming, however, as that apparently missed this batch of corks.

Cheers!

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 29
RE: No Soup For You - 10/26/2017 3:40:02 PM   
recotte

Son of a b.....

Stunning. As others have commented, this must have been a difficult decision for the winery to make, but certainly a classy one. Even if they're fully insured against this, it must be tremendously painful.

Someone up-thread asked about Horsepower & No Girls. I'm on both of those lists (but not Cayuse) and haven't received any notification that they were affected.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> No Soup For You Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI