CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How many wines do you all celllar?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How many wines do you all celllar? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 9:48:13 AM   
#winewithryan

My wife and I are getting more serious into wines. Previously only enjoying reds...now we're enjoying white, rose and reds. When we find a good/great vintage we'll pick up a couple bottles and have amassed around 450-500 bottles so far but running out of space in our basement cellar.

How many bottles do you all have approximately?
Do you replenish as you enjoy or just keep adding?
What new wines are worth buying and holding onto for a couple years that you've come across in the sub $50 range?

Here are some pics of our mini storage/cellar area..trying to figure out what next to do with everything.

Ryan & Cindy
Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Instagram: ryan_baliski
Youtube; https://www.youtube.com/@musclecarfan1/shorts
Tiktok:@winewithryan
Post #: 1
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 10:06:56 AM   
Eduardo787

Wooow, seeing those pictures reminded me of the first row at the movies

In all seriousness, your question is unaswerable. Many drink a lot, some others just on special ocasions, and then you have collectors. I guarantee that there are many around here that have 100 bottles in their cellar that drink much more often than someone that has 1,000 bottles. Some others have large groups of people that they have to entertain while others might be just the couple and enjoy having a bottle of wine now and then. The only rule that I can think about is that if you want to collect there will be no enough is enough. There will always be new exciting vintages , a new wine you tasted at a venue, and just plain ego. I started with a 40 bottle costco wine fridge 20+ years ago, then a 150 bottle fridge, then a big coat room that I converted into a cellar, and just recently I had that room expanded to double the size while also buying 2 new wine fridges for the most praized wines.

It is an extremely beautiful hobby I might add, and for me personally it makes me have wonderful times with friends. Many are not like me and most of the times enjoy a quiet dinner with their spouse at home, while for me its an excuse for party time with friends and very rarely I open a wine to drink it alone ( wife does not drink)

What I do recommend is not to cellar junk, I mean, cellaring a $15 Paso Robles cab for a few years is a waste. Those wines and many others are not ment for cellaring.

Last but not least try new things, during MANY years I was focused only at big Napa cabs and never bought any French wine till maybe 10 or so years ago. Today my cellar is 60% Pomerol and St Emilion. I also have wines from Armenia, Greece, Mexico, Lebanon, Uruguay, etc, and while they are not my favourites they bring interesting conversations.

Cheers!

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to #winewithryan)
Post #: 2
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 10:14:18 AM   
Eduardo787

Sub $50s wine ? Have found none lately from Napa. Found great ( amazing wines) from France and Rioja. If you want to cellar some I would highly recommend the Tondonia, Vina Ardanza, Faustino I Gran Reserva, among others. From France I love second wines a lot, but of course there are X different answers for France and everyone has different views. I know what I am going to say is not a rule, but Napa new $50 is now $125. There are tons of boring and uninspiring wines from Napa in the $50s .

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 3
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 10:57:16 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

What new wines are worth buying and holding onto for a couple years that you've come across in the sub $50 range?

Hi Ryan, and welcome to the CT Forum. You have come to the right place! Your cellar looks great and in a few short months it will become completely overflowing with new wines because you have found the most enabling community of wine geeks on the planet!

a. I currently have approximately 1800 bottles of wine. About 1400 in my CT inventory (an all-time high for me), and another 400 or so of homemade wine, some in bottles, more still in carboys (5-6 gallon jugs).

b. Yes! Drink a lot, buy even more, grow and make my own, so the cellar continues to expand, rather exponentially. I have skipped making wine for a couple of years, but plan to try again in 2024, I have an acre of vineyard that needs some attention, but that part of my hobby is one of the exponential growth drivers for sure.

c. This depends a LOT on what you have access to. I see you are in Canada, so not sure which US wines you see or have access for direct shipment. That said, many, many Washington state producers, some other west coast US, sell in the sub $50 range. A few across the spectrum I buy from include:

Washington: JB Neufeld - Cabernet Sauvignon mostly, with occasional other wines, almost all sub $50. Rotie Cellars -Rhone varieties, red and white, most purchases I buy are less than $50 due to club discount, but retail hover around $50-60 for reds, $30 for whites/Rose. Cairdeas - similar portfolio and cost to Rotie. Orr - Chenin Blanc at ~$30, plus some reds -$30-40 range.
California producers - Turley Zinfandel - $30-60+ range. Others in Central Coast, Paso, Santa Barbara often in the $50 range. Herman Story, Ojai are a couple of producers that stand out for me.
Oregon - Patricia Greene, De Ponte, both very good Pinot Noir imo, not as austere as some, pricing in the $40-75+ range.

Kind of a snapshot of what came to mind of wineries I've bought, mostly winery direct, in or near the $50 mark recently. Import wines I enjoy to look for in the $50 range include many Italian wines, Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino (both Sangiovese), Barolo and Barbaresco (Nebbiolo). Spanish Wines - I don't have much experience there but enjoy what I've tried and always good value it seems. I tend to stay away from the "big name" French regions, Bordeaux and Burgundy, but others here can give good advice on those. I buy some Rhone Syrah and CdP, Grenache blends, though not much lately. For whites, you need to explore German Riesling, I dabbled for a while and need to get back there, but only so much bandwidth. (see my growth reasons above)

Again,welcome and enjoy the ride!

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 2/16/2024 11:13:19 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 4
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 10:58:53 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

dupe aack!

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 2/16/2024 10:59:16 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 11:02:09 AM   
Redrunners

Creative use of space.
I don't think I have ever seen wine storage that incorporated the rafters.

There are so many wonderful wine regions around the world in addition to Napa, that are at a much better price point -
Many nice wines to try under $50 from many regions - Italy, Spain, some parts of France (e.g. Loire Valley), Greece among others.

You can pretty easily create some reports on cellar tracker to find the highly rated wines, producers and regions.

I am at the stage of more focused on maintaining, rather than growing my cellar. (the mix of wine changes, but not the totals)
I generally buy at the same rate that I consume - often between 700 - 800 bottles most of the time.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 6
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 12:13:18 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: #winewithryan
My wife and I are getting more serious into wines. Previously only enjoying reds...now we're enjoying white, rose and reds. When we find a good/great vintage we'll pick up a couple bottles and have amassed around 450-500 bottles so far but running out of space in our basement cellar.

Welcome to the boards! Seeing you guys are from SK Canada, how is the wine selection and prices up there? I know a few wine collectors in Ottawa and Toronto areas that complain about the LCBs.

I have just north of 125 bottles, down from a high of 300, which are mostly special occasion wines. I replenish my weekly drinkers when funds are available, and if the stars align, will hit the auction sites for older, collectible bottles.

Having drank some unicorn bottles and high end wines (north of $100), I am now focused on reds and whites with low ABV — 13.5% or less for reds and 12.5% or less for whites.

Post #: 7
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 1:08:14 PM   
Jenise

Welcome, Ryan! To answer your questions:

How many bottles do you all have approximately? High 1300's, down from about 2000.

Do you replenish as you enjoy or just keep adding? Once upon a time I had 300 bottles but never seemed to have the right wine when invited to themed offlines. Thought when I got to 500 I'd be set. Got to 500 and was no happier, but figured 800 would be the magic number. Eight hundred didn't work out either, in part because a) I was still learning b) the wine world is so diverse and c) my tastes/fascinations kept evolving. Plus, I found I preferred aged wine--many I had needed more time, and some I realized weren't worth waiting for. This will happen to you.

What new wines are worth buying and holding onto for a couple years that you've come across in the sub $50 range? Impossible to answer as all wines are not created equal. I/we have no idea whether you prefer traditional wines or polished/slick new world wines. Do you like higher alcohol modern fruit-forward wines (Orin Swift wines, for instance) or are you into subtley and elegance? Which do you prefer: Bordeaux or Napa? And what do you have access to? There are millions of different labels on this planet, and new ones come and go all the time. Even when I/we know your preferences, chances are not great that the wines we might recommend are also available to you.

But hell, we're winos so we'd love to try. Tell us about the wines you're smitten with.

Post #: 8
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 2:07:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

1. Currently cellaring 811 bottles soon to be 810 after tonight.

2. Trying to keep it at 800. As we drink I will add new bottles to maintain the cellar around 800.

Favorite sub $50 bottles that you can store or a year or two or more:

Tenuta di Arceno Valadorna
Ch Barde Haut
Ch Berliquet
Ch Cantemerle
Ch Carbonnieux
Ch Clos de L’Oratoire
Ch Clos de Jacobins
Ch Corbin
Familia Nin Ortiz Planetes de Nin
Ch Faugeres
Ch De Fieuzal
Ch Fonplegade
Fontanabianca Barbaresco
Tornatore Etna Rosso
Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir
Kelly Fox Mirabai Pinot Noir
Lagier Meredith Syrah
Kynsi Saloman Hills Pinot Noir
Ch Laroque
Ch LaTour Martillac
Lopez de Heredia Bosconia and Tondonia
Bodegas Mas Alta Cirerets Priorat
Mas Doix Salanques Priorat
Merum Priorati Desti
Bodegas Ordoñez Vatan Toro
Patricia Green Freedom Hill Pinot Noir
Ch DePressac
PSI Ribera Del Duero
Tenuta Delle Tere Nere Etna Rosso
Ch Tour Saint Christophe
Vincent Single Vineyard Pinot Noirs

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 9
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 2:29:21 PM   
BenG

I quickly looked up Saskatoon Co-op. Wynns Black Label Cab Sav cellars very well and an excellent vintage will fetch two or three times the current release price on the Australian secondary market once it's a decade or two old. I've also had Wakefield Shiraz (I believe it's labelled as Taylors in Australia) as a 20 year old a few times and it is stunning. Pewsey Vale Riesling might be worth putting down for a few years but I can't speak from experience.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 10
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 3:26:45 PM   
DoubleD1969

Just to be clear, 99% of the wines will last several years after purchase. If they’re not good (for your palate), the chances are it wasn’t good to begin with; there are exceptions however which are mostly on the high end wines.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 11
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 6:33:15 PM   
jmcmchi

Welcome Ryan

To the questions:
About 1000 in CT plus a hundred or so not yet released

Continuous replenishment at 4-500 a year

I’m guessing Saskatchewan is similar to Alberta for pricing, so I would second BenG on his Australian selections. Also, Thorne-Clark’s William Randell was around that price range, and Elderton’s Ode to Lorraine

From Ontario, I’d look at Stratos

I’ve seen Washington wines cheaper by you than at the winery here, so that is verymuch a crapshoot

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 12
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 7:37:54 PM   
ericindc

I'm just under 4k, but I generally hold even basic Bourgognes until year 10 to drink, daily drinker Bordeaux closer to 15 or 20, and varying different times for other regions.

I have a complex chart based upon each region, when the wines will be ready, how much of each we drink each year both now and in the future. With the end date based around the average male American lifespan.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 13
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 7:51:01 PM   
#winewithryan

Jesus...i think I've entered a vortex of wines and wine lovers that will be hard to escape from!
I remember years ago going to weddings and people would serve home made wines...and they were vinegary and weird...not palatable or enjoyable. Turned me off completely.

A trip to Italy in 2016 sealed the deal for us and fell completely in love with red wines.
Now we are completely hooked. There are always bottles of wine in the fridge and queue to be consumed.
We are trying to snap quick sub 60 second wine videos of wines we've sampled and trying to assemble a wine library of sorts for reference. I'm sure our videos will change down the road but will come with time, learning and feedback.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 14
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/16/2024 7:52:41 PM   
#winewithryan

I want to see cellars of 1k - 4k bottles of wines and the types people store...something very intriguing about this.
Our wine selection locally is garbage...but travel allows us to access a smaller piece of the pie. I couldn't imagine being in a larger center like Napa and the selection people would have.....some day!

Post #: 15
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 4:10:44 AM   
khmark7

quote:

Jesus...i think I've entered a vortex of wines and wine lovers that will be hard to escape from!
I remember years ago going to weddings and people would serve home made wines...and they were vinegary and weird...not palatable or enjoyable. Turned me off completely.

A trip to Italy in 2016 sealed the deal for us and fell completely in love with red wines.
Now we are completely hooked. There are always bottles of wine in the fridge and queue to be consumed.
We are trying to snap quick sub 60 second wine videos of wines we've sampled and trying to assemble a wine library of sorts for reference. I'm sure our videos will change down the road but will come with time, learning and feedback.

Cellaring wine is a kind of black hole if you will....

Some of us actually make drinkable home made wines....made from real grapes, not some kit. It's fun, but also a little messy.

Many of us cellar a large variety of wines and you can reference other threads discussing this topic. I'm a fan of Bordeaux, Burgundy and other exotic locations such as....Michigan.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 16
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 4:39:09 AM   
KPB

There is a tension between collecting versus cellaring wine to drink. For me (and many of us) the challenge is to not fall into the trap of collecting more and more wine without really having a concrete plan that you would drink it at such and such an age. You can end up with wines that scored lots of points yet don’t really give you much pleasure, which is wasteful in many senses. You have more and more bottles but no idea what to do with them. Eventually, they go bad.

On the other hand, among wines I genuinely do enjoy and drink, there is still a question of when to buy them. Often you are forced to buy wines on release (at least if you want them at a sensible price, or if they are limited-access “allocated” wines), yet they may not reach the stage of aging you are after for ten or fifteen years. So, this is one main purpose in cellaring wine: to have mature bottles to enjoy at sane acquisition pricing. Yet it is still easy to overbuy, because allocated wines tend to be in cases of six or twelve.

It helps to have a friend who lives in some very different wine region, and exchange or sell bottles to think the cellar for those excess bottles. You love them but simply have too many. And maybe your friend has stuff you would love to have, yet cannot source.

I prefer to buy my wines online, so even for near term drinking I usually find that buying a few bottles of something good and then drinking it within a few years is appealing. This way I can grab a bottle from the cellar spontaneously without heading to a local store and perhaps hunting in vain for what I want. But don’t buy more of these kinds of wines than you plan to drink in the next few years, because they may not age terrifically well!

Last comment: as you age, your ability to drink will vary. When young perhaps you drink a half bottle every night and burn the calories off cycling every day. At my age, nearly 70, calories are harder to burn and my limit has dropped a bit because my metabolism has changed. Don’t build a cellar predicated on being superhuman forever… there is no reason to have more wine in the cellar than you really need, for sure. You can’t take it with you. And even if you entertain 20 friends for dinner every night right now, your approach could evolve someday. Don’t assume that your consumption rate will be two cases per week indefinitely!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 17
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 4:59:02 AM   
KPB

PS: I have about 750 bottles now. Should really have maybe half this many. And the excess is mostly due to signing up for allocated wines via mailing lists. There is a psychological effect that causes you to rapidly own far more wine from that producer than you would if you purchased now and then.

For example, I love Pegau and generally want a few bottles each from a few vintages. The best of those will be insane at age 15 yet also delicious at age 5. How many should I own? This is math, you can work out an answer if you set out to do so. And my local retailers certainly can sell me a mixed case of Pegau currently on the market, spanning maybe three to five vintages.

But now think about your favorite Napa producer. For me that might be Bond, VHR, Abreu. Those wines will set you back $550 to $750 per bottle and they tend to be sold in cases of three or six. You hav3 to buy them via the lists. Same if you would have listed first growth Bordeaux or famous burgundy producers but not Napa.

So there is a pressure to buy, and to buy every year. Soon, you have ten or twelve vintages of VHR, three bottles each. That point is when you wonder: when will I be drinking these?

I happen to dip into those bottles for family events, which used to be mostly at our house. But these days, such events are mostly in Seattle, Tucson or France. So instead of people gathering here at our lake house for a week during which I would open three bottles per meal, I’m still providing the wine but the event itself might be quite far away! My VinValise holds seven or eight bottles, and I have to check it in of course.

For a while we just opened a lot of amazing wines for big parties in the summer. But it is actually very tough to throw a big party. We decided we kind of prefer smaller events, just one couple or maybe two visiting. But that won’t be an opportunity to liquidate much wine!

So I end up perhaps bringing those eight, but mostly, the VHR for me to drink with my wife, who rarely takes more than a half glass and certainly not every night. You can see how the logic of being on that allocated list (which made sense at the start) somehow broke down! And in fact it broke down even at a time when we still hosted big dinners pretty often.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 7:00:56 AM   
dad300

Currently sitting at about 100 bottles top was about 400 bottles before we picked up and moved back to our home state of Maine last summer.
as we consume a fair amount on a regular basis. averaging about 250 bottles a year.. our goal is to have abut 1000 bottles on hand as we head into retirement. 10 ish years
I am scattershot as to what i buy but truly prefer Northwest wines.. particularly Washington state. Riesling and sparkling wine enter and leave my cellar often and quick.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 4:11:09 PM   
sastewart

My wife and I have about 1,700 bottles in total with an average age of 10 years. We are retired and drink about 300 bottles a year - 70% red with the majority being old world and tend to like our wines with some age on them.

For us it is important to have a pipeline of wines that are ready to drink. We have been drinking wine for more than 35 years and have maintained a pretty good pipeline for the last 20. To me, this is the most important reason to have a larger cellar. We get together with wine friends often and always want to be able to pull an appropriate bottle or two from the cellar to share. I have purchased the vast majority of my wine as futures or on release but you might try purchasing a few older bottles at auction to see what you think.

Most importantly, Enjoy the Journey!

(in reply to dad300)
Post #: 20
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 4:38:32 PM   
#winewithryan

sastewart...out of curiosity...what would be wines you have ready and avail to drink?

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 21
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 6:38:47 PM   
daviladc

Ryan,

I am going to agree with @sastewart about gettting aged wines. If I could start over collecting I would mix up the purchases between abck vintage and club purchases. Sometimes you can even get back vintage wines cheaper than new releases!

Oh, we have about 1800 bottles and open 300-500 bottles a year.

John

< Message edited by daviladc -- 2/17/2024 6:39:30 PM >

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

Post #: 22
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 6:49:30 PM   
sastewart

Probably a little over half of my wines are in their prime drinking range for me.

We were traveling the last couple of weeks but we brought these with us to share with friends:

2002 and 2003 Leoville Barton, 2003 Pontet Canet, 2005 Kirwan, 2002 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet, 2009 Vieux Donjon CDP,
2006 Il Poggione Brunello, 2015 Capaiux Starscape Pinot, 2018 Etude Hallberg Pinot, 2017 Domaine des Malandes Chablis Montmains,
2018 Domaine Servin Chablis Montée de Tonnerre, 2016 Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon Viré-Clessé and a Vilmart Champagne Grand Cellier

Post #: 23
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/17/2024 7:37:16 PM   
#winewithryan

Much appreciated...as we come across great wines my hope is that we can pick some of these up. My wife and I have been making wine videos for the past 18 months or so trying to capture an online wine library of sorts. It seems based on views that most people viewing wines online are consuming the $10-20 wines and some into the $50 range. Regardless we are going to continue filming some of the new wines we enjoy hoping others will follow suit!

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 24
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/18/2024 2:16:34 PM   
grafstrb

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum!

You commented, "trying to figure out what next to do with everything." In response to that question/comment: What are the conditions like in your basement cellar? Specifically, temperature range; how quickly the environment swings from one end of that range to the other, and how often; and humidity. Depending on the answers to those questions, "what next to do with everything" *might* be to upgrade your storage situation.

Absent storage upgrade, I'd strongly suggest tasting through what you have, unless you've already done that. I, like most wine collectors/cellar-ers, made lots of mistakes when I started-out amassing our cellared wine collection. I learned of/from those mistakes only once I started tasting, and once enough time had passed to reveal those mistakes (i.e.: "Well, that certainly didn't age well!"). Some of those mistakes could have been avoided/mitigated had I tasted first, before buying heavily.

As for sub$50 wines that improve with age: there's a ton of them in the world. My favorites include Cabernet Franc from the Loire valley, Bordeaux, German Riesling, Rioja, and some stuff from Portugal. There are plenty others, but those pop into my mind immediately. We currently cellar about 1500 bottles, and that's about where I'd like to keep it, if not at a figure 20% - 30% less than that, so I don't have anxiety about buying more when we already have too much.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 2/18/2024 10:56:40 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 25
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/18/2024 8:28:19 PM   
#winewithryan

We keep humidity in our home and cellar to 20-30% and temps there never exceed 17 degrees celsius. We aren't storing wines long term there...anything we want to keep longer term we'll put into our wine cooler where we can better regulate temps consistently.

We'll keep watching to see what people are cellaring...but it seems most wines you all chose are not USA/California based. Our local wine stores don't carry a ton of variety in the European areas which is frustrating at best...,but as we travel we'll buy what we can and store for future enjoyment.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 26
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/18/2024 10:01:42 PM   
jmc167

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Forum and to dare I say the obsession?

I have about 2000 bottles primarily in my offsite storage and a EuroCav at home that holds about 75 bottles.

At this point, I am really focused on only buying what I feel are amazing stand-out bottles, that I know will age wlll age, but am not basing my purchases on consumption.

I am also working on gifting the wines I purchased larger qtys of when I started collecting as well as opening multiple bottles all the time to help continue to train my pallet.

While I know this is really difficult, if I had to do it all over again, I would only purchase wine that I had tasted, and limit my purchases to 3 bottles unless I know the wine can age.

Good luck and have fun!

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

Post #: 27
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/18/2024 11:00:42 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

We keep humidity in our home and cellar to 20-30% and temps there never exceed 17 degrees celsius. We aren't storing wines long term there...anything we want to keep longer term we'll put into our wine cooler where we can better regulate temps consistently.

Nice! That sounds like ideal temperature range. Humidity is lower than what is typically recommended, but I'm personally a believer in the idea that if you store corked wines on their sides, thereby keeping cork wet, cellar humidity isn't a huge deal. If you are, however, concerned about humidity I'd suggest buying a humidifier to use in your cellar space.

quote:

We'll keep watching to see what people are cellaring...but it seems most wines you all chose are not USA/California based. Our local wine stores don't carry a ton of variety in the European areas which is frustrating at best...,but as we travel we'll buy what we can and store for future enjoyment.

*Just my personal opinion* Warning!! Most USA/CA wines don't age well over the long term. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions, but I stand by "most." YMMV.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 28
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/19/2024 3:03:44 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

My wife and I have about 1,700 bottles in total with an average age of 10 years. We are retired and drink about 300 bottles a year - 70% red with the majority being old world and tend to like our wines with some age on them.

For us it is important to have a pipeline of wines that are ready to drink. We have been drinking wine for more than 35 years and have maintained a pretty good pipeline for the last 20. To me, this is the most important reason to have a larger cellar. We get together with wine friends often and always want to be able to pull an appropriate bottle or two from the cellar to share. I have purchased the vast majority of my wine as futures or on release but you might try purchasing a few older bottles at auction to see what you think.

Most importantly, Enjoy the Journey!

This is an important consideration - what is your drinking rate. Here we see sastewart has about 6 years of drinking in stock.

I have about 10 years drinking in stock. But since I only started restocking with the 2015 vintage, rather less of my wine is ready to drink. A lot of the wine I buy is fine to keep for at least 15 years, and a lot of it isn't really at peak until at least 10, sometimes more. And there is a lot of sub-$50 wine in that category, especially if you are buying Italians and French. In general, I find there isn't a lot of red wine of much quality of the kind I like that doesn't need keeping for 7+ years. And that goes for whites too. The chardonnays, chenins, rieslings, semillons, rhone blends, etc, I like need often also benefit from keeping 7+ years, and can be a lot more for some.

For example, I pretty much find reserva Chianti from reputable growers undrinkable, or at least not worth drinking, even with an 8 hour decant, until it is at least 10. It is so tannic and acidic, and I like it to have developed and softened out. And even normale chianti in a good year, like 2016, from a good producer will reward being kept for 10 years, even if I might start drinking it at 7. In lesser years I might start at 5. I don't even buy Barolo any more as I'm getting too old to wait 25 years to drink something, as that has been my experience of Barolo of any pretension. But even the Nebbiolo delle Langhe or d'Alba and Barbera that I buy from good producers benefit from keeping 10 years, and I have a few bottles of Barbaresco too, which can need a bit longer. And then there's Etna and Aglianico, and weird stuff like Freisa and Grignolino.... Italy is so diverse and fascinating.

So with this appreciation, 10 years isn't a ridiculous quantity to have in stock given the waiting time that is appropriate. (He tries to persuade himself.) Though I do keep about 70% of my wine in professional remote storage, where it is very easy to sell it if I drop dead or lose interest or whatever.

People have been mentioning Tondonia, for example, and that is generally released at about 10-12 yrs old already, which might seem they've already done the aging. And it is generally quite attractive to drink on release. But then it closes up, and you need to wait till about 20+ years for it to open out again. So even that is not very different from all the clarets, northern rhones, etc, that I buy that need 10+ years to get to good drinking condition....

And claret is a real bargain, btw. At least I think so. At least here in Britain there are clarets - if you choose carefully - even as cheap as $15 ex tax that are worth buying and cellaring. And by the time you get up to $30 there's some really excellent wine. Laroque, a St-Emilion, was mentioned. St-Estephe, Haut Medoc and the Cotes (Castillon, Francs) are good hunting grounds for high quality wines where you aren't paying a huge premium for the name. But there is also a lot of rubbish, and a lot of paying-for-the-name (eg Pomerol) so do your research. And see recent threads on second wines - some are excellent value, others you are paying too much for the name.

After France, my second largest area of purchase is South Africa, a little ahead of Italy. South African wine is hugely undervalued, especially the whites.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 29
RE: How many wines do you all celllar? - 2/19/2024 3:41:51 AM   
lockestep

Welcome. A word of warning - this site is an enabler of wine buying. When you find yourself remodeling the house to create better storage, you might be addicted,
That being said, I have about 1000 bottles in the cellar. Which is my target number, and in theory a great base for retirement.
A ton of good suggestions above, try bottles to see what you like, seek out older vintages, use caution with wine clubs (though as stated to get allocated wines they are often the only 'affordable' route.
I would add that (IMO) you should check out the professional reviewers. I subscribe to Vinous, have been a Wine Advocate subscriber, Spectator, etc. The idea is to find a reviewer/s whose palate aligns with yours. It will not be a perfect match, obviously. But you learn those differences and account for them. Back in the days when I got the Advocate I quickly figured out that Parker liked his wines big and with tons of fruit, and was not great at his Burgundy reviews. I like Neil Martin at Vinous for Burgundy (Burghound is probably the best, but I try not to get too deep into the Burgundy Black Hole) and Anthony G for Cabernet based blends. Whichever you settle on, use them as filters. They will taste 100s of Bordeaux wines, give you reviews, and you can select the ones that fit your budget, taste and plans.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How many wines do you all celllar? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI