CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

I have not had wine in more than a month !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> I have not had wine in more than a month ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 6:30:08 AM   
Eduardo787

I think this is the first time in many years I have not drank wine in more than a month. When I returned to Monterrey from Rochester all I did was drink wine every single day for weeks, then suddenly all came to a halt because I turned on my beer refrigerator that I turn off between nov-march and then 1st of April I turn it on again for beer season. I been drinking beer like crazy since it´s been hot around here and I am doing 2-3 bbq a week since I have nothing else to do.

BTW, there is STILL no beer anywhere to be found in Mexico and there is somewhat of a black market of people selling beer from their homes at x 3 the normal price. When this thing hit I thought I was prepared with about 300 or so bottles and cans of beer ( something like that) , now I am to my last 24 case and I feel extremely anxious. There are some Belgian and weird ales at the supermarket still left, but with temps above 85f you don´t want a stout/porter/or Belgian style beer....you want piss water, Pabst style ( which I love btw)

Still trapped at home....still paying all my employees full salary even when closed..... I am losing thousands and it does not look good in the horizon.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 6:48:05 AM   
annerk

So sorry to hear that. We haven't seen a shortage of alcohol here in the States, although I have a feeling that imports will begin to be affected as time goes on. Most distributors had several months of imported wines and booze in their warehouses. Our local microbreweries are making beer, and while their taprooms aren't open, they're doing a killing in crowlers with curbside pickup. My husband has bought more beer from our local micro brewery in the past six weeks than he did in the past year.

Where I can envision a shortage over the next two harvests is in the auxiliary things needed to make wine--barrels are first and foremost.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 7:25:58 AM   
DoubleD1969

"there is somewhat of a black market of people selling beer from their homes at x 3 the normal price."

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 7:32:26 AM   
DoubleD1969

When the weather gets warmer here, I switch to cocktails - G&T, Negroni, etc. I'm not a big IPA fan but will drink them too as part of the rotation.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 7:46:41 AM   
racerchris

With 4 craft breweries in town, and three of them canning their products so able to stay in production right now, I don't have to drive more than 10 minutes to find all the local IPA and such that I want. Add to that, a friend only 20 miles away is a craft beer connoisseur and he likes to share the fruits of his adventures with me. Just this week I consumed two different 16oz India IPAs canned in his town which he dropped off a couple weeks ago. Both were quite tasty so I think I'll ask him to stop by again soon.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 8:33:05 AM   
lockestep

Eduardo, these guys might be able to help you out:

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 6
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 6:53:19 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

With 4 craft breweries in town, and three of them canning their products so able to stay in production right now, I don't have to drive more than 10 minutes to find all the local IPA and such that I want. Add to that, a friend only 20 miles away is a craft beer connoisseur and he likes to share the fruits of his adventures with me. Just this week I consumed two different 16oz India IPAs canned in his town which he dropped off a couple weeks ago. Both were quite tasty so I think I'll ask him to stop by again soon.

I can walk 5 minutes to my nearest local craft brewery. Somebody beat that! Boom!

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 7
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 7:31:16 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

I can walk 5 minutes to my nearest local craft brewery. Somebody beat that! Boom!

When we had an apartment on 6th & Lombard, there were at least a half dozen craft breweries within walking distance. Can't compete with you now though since we don't have that place anymore.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 8
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/8/2020 10:06:29 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

I'd guess ten minutes walk to the gates of my two nearest wineries, another three minutes to the next nearest. Probably 30-40 minutes back

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/9/2020 5:15:20 AM   
racerchris

quote:

quote:

That used to be true for me but the place was mis-managed and went out of business last year. Too bad, because it was an evolution from the first one that opened up in town many years ago, and I really liked the place.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/10/2020 4:51:25 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787
There are some Belgian and weird ales at the supermarket still left, but with temps above 85f you don´t want a stout/porter/or Belgian style beer....you want piss water, Pabst style ( which I love btw)

Personally I'm happy to drink ales and porters even in warmer weather . Lambic ale would be ideal if you could find it, but that might be too esoteric .

I hope things improve for you soon. It's been a difficult time!

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 11
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/10/2020 4:57:05 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787
There are some Belgian and weird ales at the supermarket still left, but with temps above 85f you don´t want a stout/porter/or Belgian style beer....you want piss water, Pabst style ( which I love btw)

Personally I'm happy to drink ales and porters even in warmer weather . Lambic ale would be ideal if you could find it, but that might be too esoteric .

I hope things improve for you soon. It's been a difficult time!

Completely agree on the Lambic beers. I stocked up back in early March.

Hopefully brewing and many other industries get back on track here soon.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 12
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/11/2020 3:37:06 AM   
Hooters

quote:

quote:

I used to have a brewery in my garage, having kids put a stop to being able to spend a day making beer :-(

“I love everything that is old; old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines.”
― Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/12/2020 2:06:10 PM   
wadcorp

In warmer weather, we switch over to whites & rosés predominantly.

Wife isn't big on beer, though I like having a few during the week.

If we're out on the porch, a nice white or rosé does the trick.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 14
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/12/2020 2:22:43 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

quote:

There's a local brewery about five minutes' walking distance from us...if I jaywalk. Due to its particular location and the way the streets are laid out near where I live, though, it's probably more like 15 minutes if I don't.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: I have not had wine in more than a month ! - 5/13/2020 6:31:31 PM   
khmark7

Just read that Mexico is beginning to open back up starting next week. Not sure how well that will work, but i am hoping for the best.

Also didn't realize that 130 million people live in Mexico.....double what i expected. Wow.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> I have not had wine in more than a month ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI