CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (among choices)?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (among choices)? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (among choices)?

Chimney Rock
  0% (0)
Hall
  7% (3)
Silver Oak
  5% (2)
Pine Ridge
  5% (2)
Stag's Leap
  17% (7)
Shafer
  45% (18)
Rombauer
  0% (0)
Round Pond
  7% (3)
Duckhorn
  12% (5)

Total Votes : 40

(last vote on : 10/9/2018 1:56:01 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (among ... - 9/25/2018 4:11:56 PM   
Wine Grove

Among the somewhat larger scale , or more well known producers, which Winery makes the best wines, at a reasonable QPR, or the best overall wine (not the experience going there and tasting necessarily). I perceive these places as all being accessible to everyone in CT. Excluding smaller production, wine list / cult like type wineries.
Post #: 1
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 4:41:17 PM   
wdcwineguys

I think Hall makes more *different* wines than most on this list, not that it equals best, but their higher end cabs are consistent and have some dimension. I'd say Stag's Leap is a close second.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 2
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 5:17:48 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove

I perceive these places as all being accessible to everyone in CT.

Is accessible defined as ppl across the many states could prob find in their wine store? I find some of these are still pretty overpriced for what they are.

Don't know that I have a great POV on this. Often feel like I get better value/quality from some of the smaller ones, but agree they are not easy to find on the average store shelf.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 3
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 6:03:40 PM   
CranBurgundy

Sooner or later somebody would say this, so it might as well be me: flawed poll.

Of the choices, I like Shafer the most, but that's because I've never tasted anything from half the producers on that list. It might have been better to ask an open ended question. Well, that's my 2¢ worth.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 4
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 6:05:37 PM   
GalvezGuy

Give me Round Pond and their dust any day.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 6:07:04 PM   
hankj

Are we not allowed to choose off the list? Dunn and Mt. Veeder are probably big enough production and widely available to make the list too?

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 6
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 6:17:37 PM   
DoubleD1969

I haven't had any of these wines recently, but I liked the way Duckhorn handled their Wine Spectator WOTY award.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 7
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 6:30:28 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Give me Round Pond and their dust any day.

ftw

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 8
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/25/2018 7:49:45 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I haven't had any of these wines recently, but I liked the way Duckhorn handled their Wine Spectator WOTY award.

Details?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 9
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 6:24:04 AM   
wdcwineguys

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Sooner or later somebody would say this, so it might as well be me: flawed poll.

Of the choices, I like Shafer the most, but that's because I've never tasted anything from half the producers on that list. It might have been better to ask an open ended question. Well, that's my 2¢ worth.

I agree with this. I've had half the wineries on this list, but I can't rate the ones I haven't had. I picked Hall because I've had more of their wines than anyone else on the list and they make a consistently good product on the higher end range. Stag's Leap does as well.

Post #: 10
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 6:42:06 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Details?

I believe wine club members could purchase 1 bottle of the 2014 Three Palms Merlot as part of a 3-bottle purchase. No price increases as far as I understand. No hoarding. Wasn't allocated to a few people.

Post #: 11
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 7:13:54 AM   
fingers

Stag’s Leap Winery or Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars?

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 12
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 8:56:06 AM   
desertwine

Heitz

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 13
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 10:00:03 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: desertwine

Heitz

Mondavi or Chateaux Montelena?

(in reply to desertwine)
Post #: 14
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 10:20:18 AM   
CranBurgundy

It's surprising to see Silver Oak and Duckhorn with no votes.

....or maybe it's more apropos to say Duckhorn has a goose egg.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 15
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 3:42:09 PM   
desertwine

and Silver Oak
And Hall
and Shafer

Post #: 16
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 3:57:41 PM   
mye

quote:

which Winery makes the best wines, at a reasonable QPR, or the best overall wine

The best overall wine from that list of producers, in my opinion, is Shafer - Hillside Select.
It's not a reasonable QPR, but it's the best overall wine.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 17
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/26/2018 5:39:22 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

I agree that not listing Mondavi is a big miss.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 18
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/27/2018 6:20:23 AM   
Margaux Bro

BV gets my vote

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 19
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 9/27/2018 8:31:03 AM   
BRR

I voted for Duckhorn. I would have added Pride, but I'm not sure they're large enough to be in the poll.

Cheers!

(in reply to Margaux Bro)
Post #: 20
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/1/2018 7:21:27 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

What about Beringer? Of the larger wineries I’ve always loved Beringer because of the winer and location. It is just a fun experience. I haven’t voted but I agree with Cranburgundy that this is an interesting list, none of which have great QPR. I’m leaning toward Hall because they do have some good QPR wines.

Rick

Post #: 21
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 4:01:43 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

quote:

What about Beringer? Of the larger wineries I’ve always loved Beringer because of the winer and location. It is just a fun experience. I haven’t voted but I agree with Cranburgundy that this is an interesting list, none of which have great QPR. I’m leaning toward Hall because they do have some good QPR wines.

Rick

Yep, that's another one that would be on the list. But then again, I'm not sure anyone can put up this type of poll and not have 30 others point out Wine X that should be there, or Wine Y that shouldn't be there. Guess that's what make this such a fun hobby.

< Message edited by RedRedMoreRed -- 10/2/2018 4:02:44 AM >

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 22
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 6:07:00 AM   
MaineMark

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Stag’s Leap Winery or Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars?

I had the same question....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 23
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 6:43:40 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaineMark

quote:

Stags' Leap Winery or Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars?

FIFY

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 24
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 6:52:45 AM   
fingers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaineMark

quote:

Stags' Leap Winery or Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars?

FIFY

And yet, the district is merely Stags Leap. go figure

Post #: 25
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 11:04:18 AM   
Wine Grove

Yea, probably should've had Beringer , Heitz, and Mondavi rather than Rombauer and chimney rock. It's hard to boil it down to 10 or less.

Didn't mean for amazing QPR, just fair per say.

Definitely intended for these options to be accessible to most.

Stags leap.....has 2 wineries named the same? Shame on me!

Can't say that I'm surprised to see Shafer dominating the poll, however i too am surprised not more votes for Hall or SO......Cheers everyone - thanks for participating

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 26
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 11:24:39 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Yea, probably should've had Beringer , Heitz, and Mondavi rather than Rombauer and chimney rock. It's hard to boil it down to 10 or less.

Didn't mean for amazing QPR, just fair per say.

Definitely intended for these options to be accessible to most.

Stags leap.....has 2 wineries named the same? Shame on me!

Can't say that I'm surprised to see Shafer dominating the poll, however i too am surprised not more votes for Hall or SO......Cheers everyone - thanks for participating

Not surprised on Silver Oak. Especially on this forum. Most experienced wine drinkers find it to over oaked and the American Oak is very strong and over the top. The wines can be good, especially the Napa bottling but fort me there isn't a lot of nuances in the wine. Others I'm sure can chime in on why it's not a favorite. I am going to vote for Hall so one vote is coming.

Chimney Rock would be my 2nd pick. One because the wines are good, especially the single vineyards and the Winery is beautiful and a great place to tour and hang out. It is also right next door to one of my long time favorites, Clos Du Val.

Rick

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 27
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 11:36:11 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Not surprised on Silver Oak.

There was a time when I really enjoyed Silver Oak. Both the Alexander and Napa Valley bottlings were very good in '99 and '01. The last vintage I liked from them was 2006, which was during a change in their style. If you put a bottle of their pre-2006 next to a post-2007, the difference would be readily apparent.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 28
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 6:23:22 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

quote:

There was a time when I really enjoyed Silver Oak. Both the Alexander and Napa Valley bottlings were very good in '99 and '01. The last vintage I liked from them was 2006, which was during a change in their style. If you put a bottle of their pre-2006 next to a post-2007, the difference would be readily apparent.

It’s nothing like the change in Caymus.

Rick

Post #: 29
RE: Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (am... - 10/2/2018 7:35:09 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

quote:

It’s nothing like the change in Caymus.

Rick

True - and the Wagner family is laughing at every wine forum all the way to the bank. '01 Special Selection was one of my favorites of that vintage.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Which larger-scale NAPA Winery do you like Best (among choices)? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI