CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus - 9/9/2023 7:29:02 PM   
Eduardo787

Never had either, want to order one and drink it to see whats all about. Regardless of vintage and obviously all the things that can be said about one and the other, which should I order ? Not interested in status, I just want to splurge myself and order something that I have been curious about but never tasted before.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus - 9/10/2023 1:04:18 AM   
Geerath

Figeac all the way. I’ve got to be in the mood for Pomerol, which isn’t that often. Figeac can be still powerful but to my palette more finesse and that lovely line from the CF. It may still be under valued as well depending on if the back vintages have caught up in your region to what’s happening with the newer releases.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus - 9/10/2023 11:17:09 AM   
Ibetian

Figeac changed style about 9 years ago. It used to be made in a more traditional way, a bit more modern recently. Those who liked the previous style bemoan the new wine making, but most critics and we denizens of CT clearly prefer the new approach.

(If you can’t stand scores, as many do, please skip this paragraph.) if you you look at the scores on CT, prior to 2014 Figeac was usually 90-92, 93 in the top Bordeaux vintages. Since 2015, however, Figeac has routinely garnered CT scores of 95 and above. The price has jumped as well, to close to $300.

I’ve drunk La Fleur Petrus several times, and I have several more bottles in my cellar. It is a very good wine, but it sells for a premium price because of the Petrus in the name. If I was strapped for cash, I’d probably sell my bottles at a substantial profit.

The only vintage of Figeac I have in my cellar is 2016, and I haven’t drunk any yet; nonetheless, I’d suggest a Figeac. From what you’ve said about your taste, a Figeac from 2015 or younger might appeal.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to Geerath)
Post #: 3
RE: Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus - 9/10/2023 1:49:30 PM   
KPB

I don’t often get to drink a mature Bordeaux, but when I can and do, I favor Margaux! Broadly from Bordeaux the wine that blew me away was the 2005 Cheval Blanc, but it needed to breathe overnight to really open up. Wow, what a bottle! A stunner….

< Message edited by KPB -- 9/21/2023 2:34:02 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 4
RE: Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus - 9/10/2023 5:07:27 PM   
khmark7

For your palate Eduardo I would suggest the Figeac. Well made but as others have pointed out the style these days is more up your alley as we say. I stopped buying both of these wines back around 2008

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Figeac vs La Fleur Petrus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI