CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

do you prefer aged wines or younger wines?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:15:33 AM   
galkim

i haven't had a LOT of experience with older, 15-20+ years-old wines, but I have to admit that I don't think that the aged wines taste profile is my thing... they all were special, the aromas were very clean, and I certainly detected the common tobacco/vanilla/cigar box aromas in them, but the palate in all of them had too much similarities with good aged balsamic vinegar... which is don't find appealing at all. Younger, 5-8 year old's with bolder taste profiles are more to my personal taste...
I admit - I did not do the proper comparison of having a vertical tasting of the same wine - maybe that should bring more light into this....

I would still like to hear some thoughts about this...
Post #: 1
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:34:25 AM   
Slye

I do think some of this comes down to personal preference. I lean towards liking older wines, but I have had younger wines (inculding those I think would benefit with age) that I have really enjoyed.

I have also had wines that I have waited too long to drink -- so definitely a level of that balsamic vinegar, prune, stewed fruit flavor that I can probably tolerate in small amounts but not as the main flavor profile.

Why do I like the taste of aged wines? I think in part it is the taste -- I find good ones to be more subtle, with a lighter but complex taste profile that I find appealing. I do think a good aged wine reveals new flavors that are either hidden or overwhelmed in a younger wine. I also like the historical part of it -- this wine is from xx year -- what was I doing then; what was going on in the world then. Now that I say this I think I may not want any 2020 wine -- better to just forget the whole year.

Edit : I should add on the last, history, point. That when a wine is less pleasing taste-wise, I can still find some interest in drinking it because of the history angle. But there are always, of course, limits!

< Message edited by Slye -- 10/18/2020 10:35:28 AM >

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 2
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:38:57 AM   
Eduardo787

There are wines meant to be cellared and forgoten for a long time and others are made for early consumption. If you are going to spend $100 on a very young Bordeaux you might be better of buying another style/region wine. I have very limited experience with older Bordeaux because I started buying them maybe 12.14 years ago, but I can tell you that I have opened a few of the 2005´s and they are way more interesting now than 5- 8 years ago. If you enjoy the fruit and vibrant style, hedonism, you are better of buying new world wines ( that I love so so much). I have some Argentinian malbecs of 2002,2004 vintage and frankly they were more delicious a few years ago, they were made for maybe a cellar time of 10 years. Buying an expensie Bordeaux and opening it before it "awakens" is frankly like leaving money on the table.

There is nothing wrong to like whatever you like, it´s your money , your taste buds, and your opinion, I am just concerned that some wines do get better with time and if you open the early you are simply paying for an experience that is not going to happen unless you wait.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 3
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:43:21 AM   
DoubleD1969

Not all wines age beautifully by 15-20 years. It’s important that people understand it. IMO balsamic vinegar notes are not a good thing to detect in wine; it’s a combination of poor storage and/or new style that doesn’t age well. With that said, I’ve had a lot more Wow wines with older bottles than newer vintages.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 4
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:48:27 AM   
galkim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

I do think some of this comes down to personal preference. I lean towards liking older wines, but I have had younger wines (inculding those I think would benefit with age) that I have really enjoyed.

I have also had wines that I have waited too long to drink -- so definitely a level of that balsamic vinegar, prune, stewed fruit flavor that I can probably tolerate in small amounts but not as the main flavor profile.

Why do I like the taste of aged wines? I think in part it is the taste -- I find good ones to be more subtle, with a lighter but complex taste profile that I find appealing. I do think a good aged wine reveals new flavors that are either hidden or overwhelmed in a younger wine. I also like the historical part of it -- this wine is from xx year -- what was I doing then; what was going on in the world then. Now that I say this I think I may not want any 2020 wine -- better to just forget the whole year.

Edit : I should add on the last, history, point. That when a wine is less pleasing taste-wise, I can still find some interest in drinking it because of the history angle. But there are always, of course, limits!

quote:

Why do I like the taste of aged wines? I think in part it is the taste -- I find good ones to be more subtle, with a lighter but complex taste profile that I find appealing. I do think a good aged wine reveals new flavors that are either hidden or overwhelmed in a younger wine. I also like the historical part of it -- this wine is from xx year -- what was I doing then; what was going on in the world then

a great comment! thanks

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 5
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 10:52:28 AM   
galkim

quote:

if you open the early you are simply paying for an experience that is not going to happen unless you wait.

quote:

Not all wines age beautifully by 15-20 years. It’s important that people understand it. IMO balsamic vinegar notes are not a good thing to detect in wine; it’s a combination of poor storage and/or new style that doesn’t age well. With that said, I’ve had a lot more Wow wines with older bottles than newer vintages.

I'm writing this after opening a 1990 Brane-Cantenac, which has been properly stored.... according to the taste notes in CT... it should be great... it is certainly special... but I've had much better, younger wines...

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 6
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 11:35:55 AM   
WineGuyCO

I made this suggestion to a friend a while back so here goes. Put together a mini vertical and invite some friends. Pick a Bordeaux you like. Buy each of the following years : 2015, 2010, 2005 & 2000. Which one did you like the best? If you want throw in 1995 and 1990 also. I think you’ll get an idea over time how much age you like on your wines.

If you do this experiment with Left Bank wines, next time do it with Right Bank wines that mature earlier because of the higher amount of Merlot. 2005 Left Bank wines are barely entering their drinking windows while 2010 Right Bank wines are drinking beautifully right now. IMHO. Good luck.

Rick

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 7
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 11:39:01 AM   
Jenise

I would posit that there's a third category in the middle, neither young nor fully mature, wherein the baby fat's long gone but the primary character of the underlying fruit still shows amid the secondary nuances that come with bottle age. Call it middle age, like (warning! girl point of view!) a fit man in his late 40's to early 50's whose hair is just starting to turn gray. Of course it depends on the wine, but--as with men!--that stage is often the most interesting. A First Growth Bordeaux might take 20 years to reach that point, where a CalCab can get there in 5-10.

You might also find with time that your preferences differ by grape. For instance, I love very mature pinots, but can't stand old zin.

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 8
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 11:50:08 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

I would posit that there's a third category in the middle, neither young nor fully mature, wherein the baby fat's long gone but the primary character of the underlying fruit still shows

You might also find with time that your preferences differ by grape

Yes and yes

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 9
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 11:54:44 AM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

I would posit that there's a third category in the middle, neither young nor fully mature, wherein the baby fat's long gone but the primary character of the underlying fruit still shows

Yes and yes

+2. I think of aged Bdx blends as having lots of forest floor, mushroom, and woody notes as opposed to balsamic notes, but I prefer now for my wines to keep their fruit profile up front, as Jenise describes.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 10
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 11:58:44 AM   
WineGuyCO

Agreed because this is how I like to drink my Cabs and Bordeaux. I like them as follows:

California Cabs: 7-10 years (except for Dunn Howell Mtn, Montalena Estate, Philip Togni etc. which require 14-15 years)
Bordeaux Left Bank: 10-15 years
Bordeaux Right Bank: 8-12 years

California Pinot Noir: 3-5 years
Red Burgundy: 10-20 years

Rick

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 11
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 12:31:48 PM   
galkim

great comments!
does anyone in here actually drank a 1990 left bank recently?

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 12
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 12:37:06 PM   
mclancy10006

I lean toward older, but there are a few I like young as well. For Pinot Nior they are either young 2-3 years or old 10-20-30 depending. I find most cabs needn10 years for me. Syrah I like 5++

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 13
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 12:50:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

Syrah I like 5++

For Domestic Syrah I agree. A 5 year old Cornas, CdP or Hermitage can be pretty rough. Alban Syrah’s need more than 5 years too except for maybe Patrina.

Rick

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 14
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 1:02:26 PM   
mclancy10006

There are plenty of syrahs I won't touch for 15-20+ like La La's ,

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 15
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 1:50:50 PM   
racerchris

quote:

ORIGINAL: galkim

great comments!

Nothing from 1990 but I've had 3 of 1989 Haut Marbuzet over the past 5 years. I've also had a number of 1986, some earlier '80s and late '70s.
The Haut Marbuzet were all excellent, maybe would have been better a couple/few years earlier. Most of the '86s have been excellent, as have some of the '70s bottles, but some of the older Bordeaux I've had gave me the impression they would have been better off consumed 5-10-15 years earlier.
All came from the cellar of a friend who bought them on release.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 16
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 6:37:59 PM   
djlevin

I structure the inventory in my cellar, so that I can drink CA wines at 5-10 years of age. Italian and French wines at 10-15 years... and keep rotating them. Once you are hooked on aged wines, there is no going back!

What if there were no hypothetical questions? - Anonymous

Didn't I ever tell you? Bumbles Bounce! - Yukon Cornelius

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 17
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 8:01:53 PM   
Paul852

As always on CT, the discussion here seems focussed on the ~50% of the world's wine production which is red wines. For the other 50% things may be different...

Most (still) whites are made to be drunk fairly young, but some age well. The oldest in my cellar currently is from 1992 (Chateau Musar); last night I enjoyed a vermentino from 2007 (only released in 2018). Champagne is sometimes 10 or more years old on release, and ages for longer.

Rosés are almost all made to drink young (but again there are exceptions). My perception is that rosé champagnes tend to be made to be drunk soon after release, but again there are, no doubt, some exceptions.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 10/18/2020 9:08:08 PM >

(in reply to djlevin)
Post #: 18
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/18/2020 8:54:04 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

do you prefer aged wines or younger wines?

YESSSSSSSSSSS

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 19
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 3:01:41 AM   
pclin

Red Burgundy - Less than 4 years or over 10 years.

Bordeaux - More than 10 years.

Northern Rhône - More than 10 years.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 20
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 9:14:00 AM   
Chip Merlot

quote:

Call it middle age, like (warning! girl point of view!) a fit man in his late 40's to early 50's whose hair is just starting to turn gray. Of course it depends on the wine, but--as with men!--that stage is often the most interesting.

Very refreshing to have some objectification of men on here for once, although I'd rather this comment had been made when I was still in that window!

quote:

I don't know your definition of recent, but about four years ago I was at a dinner where we had bottles of 1990 and 2004 Ch. Leoville Barton. Both perfectly cellared. The 1990 was absolutely lovely but very little energy. The 2004, not exactly a heralded vintage, danced around it. Another bottle of the '04 that I drank this summer was still very nice but had lost a step, so I'll be looking to finish my last bottle before the end of the year.

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 21
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 10:07:06 AM   
tubulus

Aged, but not too old. I've had proper 60s Barolos that really didn't do much for me and similarly champagne beyond 20-30 years can be hit or miss for me as I don't like the change in texture. But 20-40 y/o 1er burgs, bordeaux, old-school napa, rioja, northern rhone...love em. Village burgs at 10-20 area great too.

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 22
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 11:07:29 AM   
galkim

quote:

Nothing from 1990 but I've had 3 of 1989 Haut Marbuzet over the past 5 years. I've also had a number of 1986, some earlier '80s and late '70s.
The Haut Marbuzet were all excellent, maybe would have been better a couple/few years earlier. Most of the '86s have been excellent, as have some of the '70s bottles, but some of the older Bordeaux I've had gave me the impression they would have been better off consumed 5-10-15 years earlier.
All came from the cellar of a friend who bought them on release.

I'm quite surprised that Haut Marbuzet from 1989 still had vigor.. I havent tried it but it is priced as an "entry level" Bordeuax...

quote:

I don't know your definition of recent, but about four years ago I was at a dinner where we had bottles of 1990 and 2004 Ch. Leoville Barton. Both perfectly cellared. The 1990 was absolutely lovely but very little energy. The 2004, not exactly a heralded vintage, danced around it. Another bottle of the '04 that I drank this summer was still very nice but had lost a step, so I'll be looking to finish my last bottle before the end of the year.

Leoville Barton is probably going to be my next try... that and Ch. Canon

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 23
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 2:00:12 PM   
KPB

I definitely prefer aged wines, but with a complicating factor, noted by others above: not every wine improves with age, and I will go further and say that modern wines tend to fall into two groups. Some are much, much better on release and for a few years after, even among the very best (and most expensive) bottles. Others do age and improve, but it can be challenging to know which are safe to age.

The core issue is that the modern palate seems to favor sweet, lush styles of wine. But to get that effect, you end up with a wine that can be pretty unstable. Some winemakers pull it off, but the majority are best in this style fairly soon after you buy them, within say four years, and then they hold for a little while, and then they can collapse shockingly quickly.

The other style often is hard to drink on release and may not even be approachable for ten years. But these are less common because people don’t buy them. Bordeaux used to favor this second style.... now only a handful of wineries aim for it.

So I do have wines that really need to age, like Chave red Hermitage for example. Those are best at age 20. Many of my wines need five or eight years to reach their peak. And honestly, quite a few are wines I will (and should) drink young! For example, I hardly ever hold white wines these days: I buy them for drinking young. In the past I would always have had a few bottles of white burgundy held to drink at age 10 or 12... I don’t risk it anymore. And if I buy Bordeaux I generally go for a wine that should be drinking we’ll within 8 or 10 years. Not safe to bet on really long aging anymore...

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/19/2020 2:02:38 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 24
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 5:03:34 PM   
BenG

Interesting discussion. From my memory of being a wine tragic In Australia, around 15 years ago after winemakers realized that 90% of their wines were drunk very soon after purchase (some would say within 24 hours), there was a push towards a drink now style. I suspect it started even earlier in the US. Techniques such as micro oxygenation were introduced so that you no longer had to wait for a wine to be at least 5 years old to show well.

Concurrently, there was a push for cleaner wines; to stamp out wine faults. The use of screw caps was probably the most noticeable change to solve this. Wine labels that had thrown decent amounts of crust in the 90s were now filtered and fined so much in order to avoid wine faults that after several years in the bottle it still wouldn't produce sediment. Quaffing labels that in the 90s might produce some interesting tertiary flavors after a few years were now pleasant with no hope of improvement.

This means if you think that sediment in wine is helpful in developing tertiary ("aged") flavors it's getting a lot harder to find modern wines that are not overly fined/filtered. I get excited on the rare occasion when I see wine throw sediment after only a handful of years in the bottle. It doesn't necessarily mean it will definitely age well, but it does give it a better chance. It used to be relatively easy to find sub-$15 wines that would age well - now it’s difficult to find sub-$50 wines that will.

I now read many tasting notes where it is declared that a wine is past it because it had lost its primary fruit. Years ago that would have made no sense as the wine was just entering its most interesting phase. Sadly, it’s now true for the vast majority of wines.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 25
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/19/2020 6:18:03 PM   
Jenmermaidia

Wines from St Estephe tend to be quite rustic and tannic. They often need more cellar time time than other left bank wines. So I am more surprised that a 1989 Haut Marbuzet would be fading at this point. I would expect a few more good years from that vintage and that producer. You can’t judge everything on price.

(in reply to galkim)
Post #: 26
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/20/2020 10:06:16 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

Yes and yes

this is my lane too - wines that are well-resolved and showing some early tertiary character, but not yet dominated by tertiary character, still some significant primary aspects. So yes I do prefer aged wine but not old wines.

And does of course vary by grape and even wine maker. Cayuse, for instance, is funky/gnarly enough for me when it's relatively young; old age makes it much too strongly dominated by low acid poopy sulfurous funk for my palate. Initially austere Burgundies, on the other hand, are sometimes made magical by deep tertiary character.

Just for reference

"primary" = aroma/palate aspect from grapes w/o aspects of age - fruit, skin tannin, mineral, etc

"secondary" = character picked up in barrel and/or winery processes - so vanilla, coconut, toast, carbonic aspects, malolactic aspects, etc

"tertiary" = bottle-aged character - mushroom, sandalwood, balsamic and other acetic aspects, decaying alcohol funk, potpourri, etc

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 27
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/20/2020 10:09:30 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

Interesting discussion. From my memory of being a wine tragic In Australia, around 15 years ago after winemakers realized that 90% of their wines were drunk very soon after purchase (some would say within 24 hours), there was a push towards a drink now style. I suspect it started even earlier in the US. Techniques such as micro oxygenation were introduced so that you no longer had to wait for a wine to be at least 5 years old to show well.

Concurrently, there was a push for cleaner wines; to stamp out wine faults. The use of screw caps was probably the most noticeable change to solve this. Wine labels that had thrown decent amounts of crust in the 90s were now filtered and fined so much in order to avoid wine faults that after several years in the bottle it still wouldn't produce sediment. Quaffing labels that in the 90s might produce some interesting tertiary flavors after a few years were now pleasant with no hope of improvement.

This means if you think that sediment in wine is helpful in developing tertiary ("aged") flavors it's getting a lot harder to find modern wines that are not overly fined/filtered. I get excited on the rare occasion when I see wine throw sediment after only a handful of years in the bottle. It doesn't necessarily mean it will definitely age well, but it does give it a better chance. It used to be relatively easy to find sub-$15 wines that would age well - now it’s difficult to find sub-$50 wines that will.

I now read many tasting notes where it is declared that a wine is past it because it had lost its primary fruit. Years ago that would have made no sense as the wine was just entering its most interesting phase. Sadly, it’s now true for the vast majority of wines.

Very interesting analysis here Ben, seems to ring true

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 28
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/20/2020 8:40:31 PM   
BenG

Thanks hankj. On a related note, perhaps not totally on topic, in this "drink now" era, there is an expectation that the wine will be ready to drink within minutes of opening the bottle. Some winemakers didn't get the memo, so I've found a few wines that don't transform to something excellent until after four hours in the decanter (or the equivalent of pouring a glass off and leaving the bottle open for four hours). Perhaps five years of ageing would do the same thing but once this transformation has happened they become stunning wines. I've experienced this with wines that on opening would rate an 85, then four hours later transform to a 92.

I wonder how often these bottles even make it to four hours of opening? Not many, if they're bought at the restaurant or brought to the restaurant/dinner party unopened. How many people decant their wines at home before bringing the wine to the restaurant/dinner party? I read the tasting notes and sure enough, the same flavors that I experienced on opening are described with a result of 85 points. Then I'll see some other tasting notes that have the same flavors I experienced after being open for several hours and consequently a higher score.

Perhaps there could be some airing recommendations on the bottle. Meanwhile, I'll keep bringing pre-opened bottles of wine with the cork stuffed back in to restaurants (which apparently is against the law in Idaho).

< Message edited by BenG -- 10/20/2020 8:45:42 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 29
RE: do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? - 10/20/2020 9:09:34 PM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

For better or worse, I've heard that too — I think I was told something similar at Waite as part of their winemaking course. Sadly, it makes sense for winemakers to make wines with this in mind, unless they're quite specifically making more premium wines that are known to age well. I don't think this would be true for Grange or Hill of Grace, for example.

I have to admit that I rarely age wines myself, as I'm not really able to at the moment. Nonetheless I do prefer aged wines, as I love the tertiary character that can emerge....

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> do you prefer aged wines or younger wines? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI