CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized wine glasses!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized wine glasses! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized wine ... - 12/14/2017 6:11:51 AM   
KPB

This article surveys wine glass sizes, and concludes that the trend favors really big ones (keep in mind, this is the UK, where beer is served by the pint, even as their version of the "surgeon general" claims that 3 glasses of wine, per week, is the absolute max one should consume...)

Anyhow, they do show that glasses are getting larger, and they claim that restaurants routinely pour 1/3 of a bottle per glass (250ml). I was in Cambridge UK last fall for three months and wouldn't say that I noticed these large pours. My restaurant experiences tended to be more of a standard 125ml or so glass of wine (6 per bottle). But in Germany, I was actually served a 1.5L glass of white wine at one point, in Kaiserslautern.

Seems to me that this is a European/UK thing? Or do people notice it in the US too? In Ithaca, I don't really see any sign of a trend towards large glasses and generous pours...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology
Post #: 1
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 7:32:13 AM   
CranBurgundy

So if your doctor says you can only have 1 serving of wine or beer a day, a 1L glass is the end-around. I like it!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 8:05:58 AM   
jmcmchi

Pours getting larger in the UK....yes, but they used to be 3-5 oz before decimalization if I recall correctly (not many wines in pubs those days)

Whereas Germany - I remember along the Rhine that a Viertel (250ml) was a standard pour for (low abv) white

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 3
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 9:18:36 AM   
Jenise

Boy have things changed. I lived in England a few decades ago, and in pubs wine was served in small glasses with a white line printed on them to limit pours. They were tiny portions, maybe four ounces at best.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 4
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 9:43:20 AM   
KPB

The glass of wine in Kaiserslautern was absurd -- it wasn't full, but certainly had at least a full bottle of white wine in the single glass, and probably more like a liter. Who drinks a full liter of "new" white wine as a single serving? And the hostess seemed keen to bring a second round. For beer, yes, you do see that -- here at Cornell, mostly at frat parties. But wine? People must get seriously sick...

As I mentioned, the real oddity is that when you live in the UK even for a short period, you run into the Surgeon General's warnings, and those are at a level where even thinking of wine more than once a week or so is considered to be proof that you have fallen into perdition and are cursed to burn in hell, after dying when your liver fails. Naturally, this is so extreme that everyone ignores it, and the pub life of Britain is undeterred. The UK even seems to have a kind of fake medical reporting, where they do studies purporting to prove that more than a few glasses of wine per week, total, will lead to insanity and death, plus bad breath and other nasty problems. A really bizarre and very contradictory world.

From which, as it happens, this wine-glass study emerges.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 5
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 10:00:50 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

This article surveys wine glass sizes, and concludes that the trend favors really big ones (keep in mind, this is the UK, where beer is served by the pint, even as their version of the "surgeon general" claims that 3 glasses of wine, per week, is the absolute max one should consume...)

We're all doomed....

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 6
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 10:04:25 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Who drinks a full liter of "new" white wine as a single serving?

That's a veteran cougar size serving!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/14/2017 10:33:23 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

As I mentioned, the real oddity is that when you live in the UK even for a short period, you run into the Surgeon General's warnings, and those are at a level where even thinking of wine more than once a week or so is considered to be proof that you have fallen into perdition and are cursed to burn in hell, after dying when your liver fails.
The UK even seems to have a kind of fake medical reporting, where they do studies purporting to prove that more than a few glasses of wine per week, total, will lead to insanity and death, plus bad breath and other nasty problems. A really bizarre and very contradictory world.

Funny, switch "US" for "UK" and this is what I observed when we moved here

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 8
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/17/2017 6:27:15 PM   
WineGuyCO

The smaller the a Government the better. There is no interest here in anybody telling me how I should live, what is good and what is bad. People aren't stupid. We have one life to live and mine will be filled with lots of great food, lots of great wine and lots of whatever the hell I want. If I live to 78 and not 85, it's not like those years are going to be that great anyway.

Rick

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 9
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 12:13:43 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

the pub life of Britain is undeterred.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/07/daily-chart-4

Since the great wine vintage year of 1982, Britain's population has risen by 16% while the number of alehouses has fallen by 25%.

An English pint is a great thing.

When I was in Canada, my best friend was a guy from the north of England, up past Sheffield, northeast of Manchester, south of Leeds, little place called Dewsbury. He recounted his young adulthood there, lunches with his mates, 5 to 8 pints per man, followed by an afternoon of reduced performance.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 6:02:42 AM   
KPB

What bugged me last fall was to walk the streets in Cambridge knowing the treasures in those college cellars under the ground, but somehow never able to get anywhere near them! The stores are good at beer and whiskey, but mostly sell cheaper reds from Portugal or Spain, with a handful of Bordeaux reds, and that’s it. You can order from London, of course, but to be in a city rich in wine that’s mostly doesn’t drink wine anymore... tragic! How the mighty have fallen...

Ken Birman

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 11
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 3:12:14 PM   
chaz91

quote:

What bugged me last fall was to walk the streets in Cambridge knowing the treasures in those college cellars under the ground, but somehow never able to get anywhere near them! The stores are good at beer and whiskey, but mostly sell cheaper reds from Portugal or Spain, with a handful of Bordeaux reds, and that’s it. You can order from London, of course, but to be in a city rich in wine that’s mostly doesn’t drink wine anymore... tragic! How the mighty have fallen...

I studied in Cambridge and it’s true that the college cellars are full of wonders, and that they are usually closer than you think. Two of my college’s cellars are practically hiding in plain sight. I’ve been down there twice, but was unfortunately unable to sneak any of the 19th century port out.

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have a good experience with the wine shops. There are good places, though! If and when you go back you must check out Noel Young in Trumpington. It’s a fantastic store with an extremely varied list, and his tastings are what really got me into wine.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 12
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 6:27:40 PM   
KPB

I visited that store once. I was cycling and noticed it. Seemed ok,and I bought a bottle of wine, but it wasn’t really all that remarkable... didn’t attend any tastings, though.

Ken Birman

(in reply to chaz91)
Post #: 13
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 8:40:22 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

KPB
What bugged me last fall was to walk the streets in Cambridge knowing the treasures in those college cellars under the ground, but somehow never able to get anywhere near them!

You need to get an invitation to dine at High Table - but generally the Oxbridge colleges are much more into value buys than in the old days, so stuff they are drinking day to day is not super special

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 14
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/18/2017 10:59:33 PM   
penguinoid

I always think the overly restrictive suggestions as to how much one should drink are counter-productive. They are so obviously absurd that most people just ignore them. More sensible advice might actually be followed. From what I can gather, they are not based on any research or medical data, either.

They also seem to miss the point that the benefit of a larger wine glass isn't that you can pour half a bottle into a glass, but that it allows for better appreciation of flavour & aroma -- there's headspace for the aroma compounds to build up in the glass.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 15
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/19/2017 5:02:40 AM   
Yossarian

The article talks about wine glass size - isn't that surely a reflection on the rise of Riedels and proper wine glasses rather than goblets. No sane person would fill up a riedel burg glass to the top?

Just because the glass in getting bigger doesn't mean the pours are!

Of course, it is true we all drink like fekin fish in England, so there is probably merit in the observation that we are borderline alcoholics.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 16
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/19/2017 2:45:43 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

The article talks about wine glass size - isn't that surely a reflection on the rise of Riedels and proper wine glasses rather than goblets. No sane person would fill up a riedel burg glass to the top?

Cranburgundy's Niece did?? Ask him.............

Rick

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 17
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/19/2017 3:33:33 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

Cranburgundy's Niece did?? Ask him.............

Rick

Yossarian said no "sane" person. My niece is blonde, and I think that might qualify as not sane. Sweet kid, but she surely qualifies as not so bright most days.

..... and it was a Spiegelau 28.5 oz Burgundy Hybrid glass, which I believe is bigger than a Riddle Burgundy glass.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 18
RE: British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized w... - 12/19/2017 4:06:00 PM   
KPB

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid
— there's headspace for the aroma compounds to build up in the glass.

... it to mention, you can fit your entire head in, to best appreciate those concentrated aromas. Or at least, your whole nose.

Ken Birman

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> British Medical Journal: Opposed to 1-Liter sized wine glasses! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI