CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Bordeaux or California?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bordeaux or California? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/5/2011 1:19:15 PM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

most of the world lacks the patience to let a well structured, austere wine come into balance (98 Monte Bello, anyone?).

Amazingly enough Khamen and myself raved about the 98 Monte bello at a recent tasting and I was shocked to see it got such a pasting on CT with genuinely low scores.

To be fair, of the older Cali wines I have had they were all generally excellent - Mondavi Cab Cab 83 was stunning, and the Monte bellos 95 thru 2000 were excellent - I just think they seem get drunk much younger than Bdx - you dont see many tasting notes for Cali wines

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 31
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/5/2011 3:47:04 PM   
Bryan Collins

Monte Bello is, to my mind, nothing short of magnificent.

Paul Draper hosted a dinner in London back in November and I spent the evening chatting to him - what a genuinely humble and charming gentleman. There's some more info here if anyone's interested.

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 32
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/5/2011 5:34:44 PM   
Stirling

If these recent ripe BDX vintages have been producing CA - like wines, CA has produced a number of wines that were very Bordeaux-like (elegant, complex, age-worthy). A few I have tasted over the years that could have passed for top classified growth Bordeaux: 94 Mondavi Res; 76 and 85 Heitz Martha's; '81 Johnson Turnbull; '78 Diamond Creek; '82 BV Georges de Latour; to name a few. I think after 10 or 15 years the wines tend more toward similarity. Cabernet lovers who seek the typically BDX style (meaning more elegant and complex) have a number of good producers to choose from who make elegant food freindly wines in a "Bordeaux style". Not that they will neccessarily fool you into thinking you are drinking something from the left bank, but they will probably impress you with their finesse and complexity.

On the other hand, I have never drank Bordeaux that I thought was Californian. Perhaps the 2003's fit that bill?

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 33
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/5/2011 5:59:49 PM   
Zweder

Many wise words said already. And I will just add my 2 cents.

Two different regions two different wines. Maybe not the same as comparing beef with lobster, but certainly as comparing two different types of very good meat.

In both regions beautiful wines are produced.

In my case it depends on the food, the mood and the weather (the moment) what I prefer most. I can appreciate both type of wines, and both can be great.

In general, imho, the lower high end of Bdx is a little more interesting than the lower quality wines from CA. In Bordeaux terms 5th Growths (with a few exceptions like Lynch Bages and Pontet Canet), and wines like Chasse Spleen and Poujeaux, offer a more interesting drinking experience than the same price level Californian wines.

FWIW,
Cheers,
Zweder.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 34
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/5/2011 8:57:06 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

Amazingly enough Khamen and myself raved about the 98 Monte bello at a recent tasting and I was shocked to see it got such a pasting on CT with genuinely low scores.

I think I've seen you comment on the '98 Monte Bello elsewhere, as well.  In general, I think the '98 Cali vintage got undersold.  It was bookended by '97, a great year, and '99, a really good year, and suffered in comparison.  In '97 & '99, everyone had, minimally, a really good product.  In '98, though, the great winemakers worked their magic and still produced a really good wine.  Dominus, Monte Bello... it's hard to go wrong with these in any year.  Beachrooster had a thread a month or so ago on the '98's.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 35
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/6/2011 12:27:38 PM   
Khamen

There is one other point worth making here tho imho...

The "best" wines of Bordeaux from a recent vintage may cost a lot of money - if you exclude Lafite's little world then a 1st is going to cost you $500 or so tax paid from a decent vintage.

In Europe the most prestigious Californian wines (again let's forget Screagle) are frequently priced 40-50% HIGHER than this.

You can generally pick up a whole case of some 2nd and 3rd growths for the price of 1 or 2 bottles of a premium offering from California.

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 36
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 4/6/2011 3:11:23 PM   
Stirling

What a difference being over the pond makes! In Canada, a first growth will set you back over $1,000. Harlan goes for $800 (if you can find it), Phelps Insignia for $265, Quilceda for $175. In the US both Harlan and Insignia are about $100 cheaper and Quilceda about $50 cheaper. I did not know we getting so badly screwed on BDX pricing here.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 37
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 8:37:06 AM   
racerchris

I'm bringing this topic out of hibernation to add a data point wrt Cru Bourgeois level wines.

Last night I did a side-by-side comparison of 2010 Chateau Senejac and 2010 Merryvale Cabernet Napa Valley.
The two were very similar in primary fruit (Merryvale being a little more forward), acidity and length of finish.
Both carried very noticeable cedar and spice secondary flavors with little to no green or bitter herbal notes.
The Merryvale had a more prominent fruity nose, with a hint of eucalyptus.
The Senejac had a reserved nose, a dustier mouthfeel, and more noticeable tannins on the finish.

A half a bottle each was shared over dinner with my father.
Both wines were a very satisfying accompaniment to NY strip, grilled vegetables, Pesto Penne pasta and green salad.
We gave a slight edge to the Merryvale (93), but at more than twice the price.
However Chateau Senejac (92+) is the clear QPR winner between these two.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 38
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 8:53:29 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

most of the world lacks the patience to let a well structured, austere wine come into balance (98 Monte Bello, anyone?).

To be fair, of the older Cali wines I have had they were all generally excellent - Mondavi Cab Cab 83 was stunning, and the Monte bellos 95 thru 2000 were excellent - I just think they seem get drunk much younger than Bdx - you dont see many tasting notes for Cali wines

I agree completely. Let those Napa cabs age (and Ridge too!). One of the regrets of my life was that I didn't become interested in wine early enough to load up on '95 Monte Bello and '95 Napa (not to mention '89 Bordeaux...... )

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 39
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 9:39:05 AM   
S1

If it is a contest, California for me and my palate.

And as for the OP, have prices "sustained" since 2011?

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 40
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 9:44:44 AM   
Sourdough

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

I'm bringing this topic out of hibernation to add a data point wrt Cru Bourgeois level wines.

Last night I did a side-by-side comparison of 2010 Chateau Senejac and 2010 Merryvale Cabernet Napa Valley.
The two were very similar in primary fruit (Merryvale being a little more forward), acidity and length of finish.
Both carried very noticeable cedar and spice secondary flavors with little to no green or bitter herbal notes.
The Merryvale had a more prominent fruity nose, with a hint of eucalyptus.
The Senejac had a reserved nose, a dustier mouthfeel, and more noticeable tannins on the finish.

A half a bottle each was shared over dinner with my father.
Both wines were a very satisfying accompaniment to NY strip, grilled vegetables, Pesto Penne pasta and green salad.
We gave a slight edge to the Merryvale (93), but at more than twice the price.
However Chateau Senejac (92+) is the clear QPR winner between these two.

Hi Racerchris!

I agree. While, in general Cali wines are a different style there are some that are close in profile. And by developing a familiarity with a few lower end chateaux I feel I can reliably beat all but the best on QPR by choosing BDX. There are a bunch of really good BDX in the $17 to 25 range (like Senejac) that are outstanding for the price.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 41
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 11:33:02 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

What a difference being over the pond makes! In Canada, a first growth will set you back over $1,000. Harlan goes for $800 (if you can find it), Phelps Insignia for $265, Quilceda for $175. In the US both Harlan and Insignia are about $100 cheaper and Quilceda about $50 cheaper. I did not know we getting so badly screwed on BDX pricing here.

Personal comparison data; 2005 Pontet Canet was $270ish on release in BC - $75ish on futures in the US.
But Pedestal (Longshadows merlot from WA) is currently priced similarly in both countries. And anything that was imported over two years ago is likely cheaper in Canada because of FX movements

Generally neither is well priced in Canada

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 42
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 11:35:47 AM   
PinotPhile

No experience with Bordeaux here. Napa Valley purchases are rare as the QPR criterion for me is not typically met. Tend to gravitate to other areas that can deliver value, such as Sierra Foothills, Paso, even some areas in Santa Barbara.

Looking up Ch. Senejac on winesearcher, I noted that WinEx has futures of the 14 and 15 vintages.

My only experience w/futures was not good. So, 2 questions for the more experienced:

Is <$15/bottle a good price for Senejac futures?
Is WinEx reliable in terms of delivering within the futures program?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers!

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 43
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 11:37:47 AM   
jmcmchi

I agree. While, in general Cali wines are a different style there are some that are close in profile. And by developing a familiarity with a few lower end chateaux I feel I can reliably beat all but the best on QPR by choosing BDX. There are a bunch of really good BDX in the $17 to 25 range (like Senejac) that are outstanding for the price.
[/quote]

Violent agreement....just caveat that vintage is important for these - there is a lot of variation in the relative value to me

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 44
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/18/2016 12:21:33 PM   
midpalate

I think that, in good vintages, there's lots of really nice BDX in the 20-30 USD range.

I'd put those bottles up against bottlings of the same varietals from basically anywhere at the same price point and expect the BDX to be really competitive.

So, if I have $20 to spend and I want a bottle of cab or merlot (or a blend of these)? I'm gonna pull out a '09 Lillian Ladouys and feel great about it.

[EDIT: I just read some of the other replies... and it seems like lots of us have figured out this same thing :-) ]

< Message edited by midpalate -- 6/18/2016 12:22:11 PM >

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 45
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/19/2016 8:05:33 AM   
dbg

Winex is reliable.

Why tie up your money in futures when it is likely the wine will be readily available at similar pricing on release? I used to buy futures but the Bordeaux system has eliminated the financial incentive to do so. Now the only reason to buy futures is to lock up a rarity (Senejac is not one) or to order sizes other than 750s.

David G

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 46
RE: Bordeaux or California? - 6/19/2016 11:36:15 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

Winex is reliable.

Why tie up your money in futures when it is likely the wine will be readily available at similar pricing on release? I used to buy futures but the Bordeaux system has eliminated the financial incentive to do so. Now the only reason to buy futures is to lock up a rarity (Senejac is not one) or to order sizes other than 750s.

Just did a quick check on Wine Searcher. It appears that pricing in CA for Ch. Lanessan, also mentioned elsewhere on this forum, is similar for both available and futures. Pricing for Ch. Senejac futures is clearly lower than currently-available wine. Interesting.

I am not enamored of futures, but had only one experience. That was negative. Ownership change resulted in my never receiving a wine for which I had paid.

That was not WinEx, though. Good to know that they are reliable, just in case.

Thanks for your insight. I have followed Bordeaux pricing issues a bit. They have their problems, so maybe more value options for us frugal ones will materialize.

Cheers!

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bordeaux or California? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI