CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 6:55:29 AM   
pjaines

I have just been ordered by the wife to take a holiday and she has booked a place south of Tours in the Loire valley. Any suggestions/ recommendations etc etc for restaurants, wines, etc etc. You know the drill.

My new DJ stuff....
Post #: 1
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 7:38:30 AM   
ROEL

Don't know how much you want to travel around, since these are not exactly close to Tours, but they are among my favourite (sweet) Loire producers

(Funny you should ask that by the way. Just mentioned Moulin Touchais in another thread. I'm not sure they do cellar tours, but Ik know the cellars are impressive and so are the wines. Better call beforehand)
http://www.vinogusto.com/fr/adresse/24329/producteur-vignobles-moulin-touchais

and

http://www.vinogusto.com/fr/adresse/3112/producteur-chateau-pierre-bise
Very terroir driven, high quality.

See also
http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=83908&mpage=1𞺓

< Message edited by ROEL -- 8/3/2011 7:41:18 AM >

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 2
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 7:48:42 AM   
hamishwm

You could always pop out to get the bread.......and then drive the 3 hours down to Saint Emilion to join me for lunch!!! I am sure that we could get in to La Conseillante, VCC, Beausejour Becot and a few others.
Alternatively an old UK wine trade acquaintance runs a business called Le Tasting Room www.letastingroom.com near Angers/Saumur. Cathy runs tastings and wine tours and could be a good reference point.....or half a day getting your head around the area whilst having your nose in a glass or three.

www.bellawinetours.com
@hamishwm
Blog: http://bellawines.blogspot.com/

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 3
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 8:10:13 AM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamishwm

You could always pop out to get the bread.......and then drive the 3 hours down to Saint Emilion to join me for lunch!!!

You have never met me, yet seem to know me so well !!!!!! This sounds like the kind of idea I like. Not sure what Mrs J would think though.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to hamishwm)
Post #: 4
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 6:21:15 PM   
Kermadur

Call and make an appointment with Jacky Blot (actually will probably be with Mme Blot) for sure:
http://www.jackyblot.fr/
His 2008 Mi-Pente of the Domaine de la Butte is terrific.

Another good visit is chez Charles Jouget
http://www.charlesjoguet.com/index.php

I'll be there next month, and I'm going to try to visit Yannick Amirault - his wines are lovely. http://www.yannickamirault.fr/

For food, in order of deliciousness:

Auberge de l'Ile in L'ile Bouchard - worth a detour 02-47-58-51-07 www.aubergedelile.fr
Les Annees 30 78 rue Voltaire in Chinon 02-47-93-37-18 www.lesannees30.com
Restaurant Val de Vienne in Sazilly - almost across the street from Charles Jouguet so a good place to have lunch after tasting there. 02-47-95-26-49 www.aubergeduvaldevienne.com
In Tours, Restaurant La Ruche 105 Rue Colbert is OK
There used to be a restaurant in Tours on Rue Colbert that was very good. It was sometimes called Chez Michel, sometimes called Charolais. But I'm not sure it is still in business. The patron would get pretty sauced which may have contributed to its downfall (also probably to its initial success).

< Message edited by Kermadur -- 8/3/2011 6:36:57 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=60097

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 5
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/3/2011 6:27:47 PM   
khmark7

Have fun and do report back!  I wouldn't be surprised if they start picking the white grapes by then. 

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 6
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 2:20:04 AM   
pjaines

Looking forward to it - it is not an area of France I know very well and Loire wines are a blind spot for me so looking forward to embellishing my knowledge ....and punishing my liver

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 2:34:03 AM   
musedir

Paul, Sancerre was one of the great wine discoveries from the few days we spent in the Loire Valley having drunk only bad examples in US prior to visit. However, I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to visit two marvelous pieces of French architecture there - Chambord Chateau and Chartres Cathedral... Both wonderfully impressive in their own way. Enjoy your vacation but don't take 3-hr drives to buy bread... Mrs. J will brain you!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 8
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 4:11:16 AM   
dustbuddy

A good starting point is the overview of the Loire on this website (Wine Doctor Loire Profiles). An obvious starting point for Touraine Chenin as you will be in Tours is Domaine Huet. They have an open tasting room which doesn't require an appointment.

If you are a fan of sweet wine, you should head west to Coteaux du Layon and Quarts de Chaume in Anjou, possibly calling in at Le Pot du Lapin in Saumur en route. My favourite producer there is Domaine Juchepie which is run by Eddy Oosterlinck. If you call him in advance he will be happy to spend a morning with you walking in his vineyard and cellar talking about the way he makes wine. You can't buy Juchepie in England so if you are interested you will need to pay a visit.

While you are west you should also call in at Savennières which is close to Angers. This area (again Chenin) provides excellent, age worthy whites. My favourite is Domaine aux Moines. It is particularly good to visit because i) the mother and daughter who run the estate are charming and ii) they have lots of older vintages available to taste which is helpful if you are new to the region.

Hope that provides some food for thought. My parents-in-law live close to Saumur so please feel free to PM me if you would like a few more tips.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 9
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 4:34:58 AM   
Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Paul, Sancerre was one of the great wine discoveries from the few days we spent in the Loire Valley having drunk only bad examples in US prior to visit. However, I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to visit two marvelous pieces of French architecture there - Chambord Chateau and Chartres Cathedral... Both wonderfully impressive in their own way. Enjoy your vacation but don't take 3-hr drives to buy bread... Mrs. J will brain you!

nerdy Surrey architectural info for your visit - Chateau de Chambord was the inspiration for Royal Hollway College on Egham Hill.......in good Victorian brick, of course...

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 10
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 9:48:15 AM   
PSirah Tampa

I was in Loire for a week back in May. I found the Chinon area to be of most interest; there are many fascinating reds & whites. My favorite producers:

• Bernard Baudry (exceptional)
  • Olga Raffault
  • Pierre Sourdais
  • Charles Joguet
  • Fosse Seche (exceptional)

I stayed in old town are of Chinon- it's absolutely lovely. An authentic medeival village to wander around in- how cool. The hotel was Hotel Agnes Sorel; very nice botique place at a very good price and a great location. The best restaurant in the area- Restaurant Le Annes 30 (in Chinon).

I went to several other ares in the Loire, but neither the wine or place could compare to Chinon.

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 11
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 12:54:22 PM   
Grandvinrouge

Hi Paul,

Spent two great weeks in Loire during the last Rugby world cup, very special place and lots to do for both the wine lover and family.

On the wine front my particular favorites where :

Vouvray - Bit Cliche but in my mind still the best Chenin there is , Huet to my palate is supurb and well worth a visit.

Jasnieres - Between Tours and Le Mans - Interesting area , bit of the beaten track but search out http://www.gigou-jasnieres.com you wont be disapointed.

Chinon south east of Tours which was very pretty and offered interesting wines for both red and white (if you visit make sure to also try the sparkiling Saumur) also close to a few chateaux

Sure you will have a great time, let me know if you need any other ideas for things to do.

Dave

< Message edited by Grandvinrouge -- 8/4/2011 12:56:07 PM >

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 12
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 11:47:17 PM   
pjaines

My tastes buds are getting quite excited by all these recommendations. I'll be printing this thread off before I go on holiday and report back on the deterioration of my liver

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Grandvinrouge)
Post #: 13
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/4/2011 11:49:45 PM   
Bryan Collins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

nerdy Surrey architectural info for your visit - Chateau de Chambord was the inspiration for Royal Hollway College on Egham Hill.......in good Victorian brick, of course...

Indeed, Ricardo. Did you go there too?

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 14
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/6/2011 8:08:34 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Well it's a couple of decades back, but I think La Baule was fun for kids?
Loved the Chateaux along the Loire as well - a bygone era.
L.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 15
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/11/2011 9:21:24 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Paul,

As a traditionalist, I really enjoyed meeting with and tasting the wines of Sébastien Bobinet, in Saumur-Champigny. A true reflection of the land, varietals and people and a very humble man with great talent. Afterwards, travel over to Candes St Martin and say hello to Damien at cave / Bar à vin, Enfin du vin. Think of me when you start drooling over the selection he offers...

I have some pictures of Sébastien and his caves on my website, FWIW. He only speaks French, as I recall.

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 8/11/2011 9:22:33 AM >

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 16
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/12/2011 5:44:47 AM   
Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Indeed, Ricardo. Did you go there too?

no, but one of my former GFs did...back in the days when the undergraduates were predominantly female....I live a few miles up the road, in part of a house built by the man who sculpted the statue of Queen Vic. in the RHC quadrangle, in 18-80 something....[I've also been to Chambord!]

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 17
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/12/2011 7:51:00 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

East Enders was running that far back?

L.

We do Grand very well

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=royal+holloway+college+egham&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4SNYK_en-GBGB273GB273&biw=1680&bih=827&tbm=isch&tbnid=CcxDVxqNQzQSIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.egham.co.uk/info/rhbnc.html&docid=a3h4PcJj7Kc8gM&w=426&h=217&ei=fz1FTreEMNSr8QPLnNzDBg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=156&page=1&tbnh=110&tbnw=216&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=95&ty=72

Sorry I still can't link pic's and Eric doesn't seem to think it's an important sideline

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 18
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/12/2011 7:20:37 PM   
wadcorp

Jeez, Colonel. The length of that link really jacks the page.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 19
RE: Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please - 8/12/2011 9:45:01 PM   
Hollowine

Had a great Domaine Baumard Savennieres with dinner tonight, loved it and love the QdC wines.

http://www.baumard.fr/

Huet is a must...

http://www.huet-echansonne.com/Accueil/indexen.html

For nice Cab Franc (Chinon) try Olga Raffault...

http://www.olga-raffault.com/

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Going on Holiday to the Loire - suggestions please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI