CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christmas Bash 30th Nov or 1st Dec

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christmas Bash 30th Nov or 1st Dec Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/14/2012 10:58:33 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: garethpowell

though I am also preaching three times on Sunday and doing a spot of singing as well so I doubt I'll be up for a boozeathon

Don't worry we'll help with the Sunday Sermon: could turn out be the best and last you'll ever make
This is compulsory reading for the congregation before we meet.
http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html

L.

Paul I think it's going to be up to we two to keep the CT London reputation intact.
Now if Toby could just go AWOL a little early ;)

(in reply to garethpowell)
Post #: 151
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/14/2012 3:52:54 PM   
garethpowell

**** a duck that is one looooong article. But I WILL try and read it before Sunday

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 152
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/15/2012 11:29:04 AM   
pjaines

Well.......The Colonel and myself managed to maintain a stiff upper lip - Gareth was struck down by a plague of locusts and Khamen was stuck in Stockholm.

Nevertheless we had a bottle of Bolly rose...a stunning Huet Vouvray Moullex 86....an utterly superb 93 cos d'estournel (WOTN) and a cheesy stinky 2002 Drouhin Laroze Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru.

My new DJ stuff....

Post #: 153
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/15/2012 2:07:36 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

Well.......The Colonel and myself managed to maintain a stiff upper lip - Gareth was struck down by a plague of locusts and Khamen was stuck in Stockholm.

Nevertheless we had a bottle of Bolly rose...a stunning Huet Vouvray Moullex 86....an utterly superb 93 cos d'estournel (WOTN) and a cheesy stinky 2002 Drouhin Laroze Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru.

That's a pretty good start. So where to now?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 154
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/15/2012 2:15:21 PM   
pjaines

At home.....a massive Angry Birds Star Wars session with the boys.....Disney's Cinderella with my daughter ("we can do it, we can do it, we can help our cinderella") and now a Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin.......feeling chilled.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 155
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/16/2012 4:10:11 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Yes the Xmas season has now truly arrived, although a few CTers junped the gun with an early celebration.
They seem to have been struck down by plagues, been deported, or are in solitary confinement of the Wifely kind (even Superman couldn't escape).
We followed the CT Rule that when only a few meet the number of bottles must be at least double the number of attendees.
I, surprisingly, chose a Bollinger Rose.  "In the festive spirit" I hear you say, but no I just didn't notice that it was a rose.  Turned out to be a good slip, it was rather fine.
Paul was insistant that we next tried a highly praised Vouvray.  Not normally a fan myself as I never know how sweet-dry it will be.
This was thick, chewy, full of floral scents and with a delicious long, lingering finish.  Sweeter than I'd normally like, but I really enjoyed it.
Nice one Paul.
Then the sirloin - so good it had to be USDA - an it was.
What to choose as the accompaniment: bernaise, red wine sauce, or Cos d'Estournel 1993.
The Cos won hands down, and I concur - WOTN.
The best Bordeaux I've had for some time.
You Burg. chaps start worrrying I have more ;)
Then we tried the Clos de Beze.
I have never smelt anything cheesier, that wasn't cheese, and it persisted.
Luckily we'd had a drop or two to drink so could linger over this one.
Eventually the smell eased and you could detect some class.
But is it supposed to start out like this?
Treetops, Bryan - any thoughts?

Got home to a fine Bolognese and a cleansing VAT.

Today have friends around to mini-beef wellingtons, beef in Yorkshires,etc., etc.
All from Waitrose - easy and tasty.
Daughter is in town so it has to be Champagne, which can't be bad.

Great afternood Paul, enjoy the rest of Xmas with the family and all the best to Sandrine (thanks for letting him out).

L.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 156
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/16/2012 5:40:00 AM   
pjaines

Great to catch up - we certainly covered quite a few topics off during the afternoon - we went from tax men to gun laws to the merits of Brittany to children to cheese to Christmas traditions to Mrs Colonel's requirements for Sunday roasts (no washing up seems to be the main criteria) to watches (mine has too many dials, the Colonels has none) to the reality that once a case is opened it is fair game. I think we also debated the merits of not living in suburban hell or living in or near London.

The pumpkin soup with truffled creme fraiche was awesome as well.
After 4 hours of fine dining it was quite a shock for Colonel and myself to walk into onto Oxford Street in the middle of a chrtistmas shopping frenzy - it was like the 7th circle of hell.

< Message edited by pjaines -- 12/16/2012 5:45:57 AM >

My new DJ stuff....

Post #: 157
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/18/2012 6:55:24 AM   
Khamen

Crikey you chaps, monstrously sorry to miss the festive fun. Those pesky Swedes decided to keep me holed up in a very snowy Stockholm which completely trashed my perfectly planned weekend - lunch with you folk and then over to the West End to meet up with some friends for dinner and a pre-Xmas gathering.

Grr..

Oh well, sounds like you had fun. We will catch up in Cambridge, if not before

Chin-chin
K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 158
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/18/2012 11:25:15 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

Being all ex-ecclesiastical these vineyards then I'd have to say it was probably Stinking Bishop!

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 159
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/18/2012 3:19:25 PM   
garethpowell

quote:

ORIGINAL: treetops

quote:

Being all ex-ecclesiastical these vineyards then I'd have to say it was probably Stinking Bishop!

I presume you mean the whole of Burgundy, the Rhone and oh wait all historic vineyards

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 160
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/19/2012 4:29:45 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Just had to crack open another 1993 Cos d'Estournel.

Tasting Note:

WoW.............................................................

I think Cos is now my favourite Bordeaux, sorry Mr Barton.
Just counted and have 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006 as well as a few more 1993's.
Feeling rather pleased with myself.

L.

Post #: 161
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/19/2012 4:58:08 AM   
pjaines

I'm with you Colonel. I love Cos....although I have not tasted some of their more modern releases.

I will be more than happy to provide a 2nd opinion on those other vintages, Colonel

My new DJ stuff....

Post #: 162
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/19/2012 12:02:03 PM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: garethpowell

quote:

ORIGINAL: treetops

quote:

I presume you mean the whole of Burgundy, the Rhone and oh wait all historic vineyards

Depending on your definition of an historic vineyard I reckon you're a tad guilty of stretching things there ol' chap. Most of the Medoc was under water until the Dutch drained it in the 17th century for starters!

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 163
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/19/2012 12:13:37 PM   
garethpowell

Oh we all know Bordeaux isn't a historic wine producing region

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 164
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/20/2012 3:36:51 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Don't concede so easily

"The Bordeaux wine expansion comes from the European growing exchanges which started during the 12th century. European powers increased their demand in wine, stimulating wine makers to ameliorate their production."

http://www.brindco.com/index.php?cPath=1_2_9

L

Post #: 165
RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christ... - 12/20/2012 11:39:01 AM   
treetops

quote:

Don't concede so easily

"The Bordeaux wine expansion comes from the European growing exchanges which started during the 12th century. European powers increased their demand in wine, stimulating wine makers to ameliorate their production."

http://www.brindco.com/index.php?cPath=1_2_9

L

Maybe, but this would most certainly not have included all of the Medoc as it was still marshland back then. Now, of course, home to such lowly chateau as Latour, Lafite, Margaux et al etc. Come now Colonel, and you a bone fide Bordeaux lover

Post #: 166
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT London Xmas Bash *hopefully* the Colonels Christmas Bash 30th Nov or 1st Dec Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI