CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Are these truly fighting words?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Are these truly fighting words? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 8:04:49 AM   
mgriffith

This would seem to be a slap to every Somm and hard-core wino.

What do you folks think?

The Wine Expert is a Myth
Post #: 1
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 8:38:43 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Seems like a validation of CellarTracker where the common folks can taste, drink, enjoy, and assign rank if they wish with just as much accuracy as the "experts".

I've seen reference to the wine competition study and judges consistency before.  A few things about that, 1) wines in the upper, upper echelon generally do not get entered into the contests and 2) the judges are expected to judged several hundred wines in a day, which is perhaps the most non-representative way to drink wine, imo. 

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 2
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 9:30:49 AM   
khmark7

It does show how subjective wine can be, which is why blind tasting can be tricky and very revealing. Perhaps someone could explain to me a wine "expert"?

Wine is a complex product and not everyone identifies each particular character in the wine, or each character evenly.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 9:35:47 AM   
brigcampbell

Wine is like food. I don't need someone to tell me if Indian or Mexican food is good.

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 9:44:29 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: brigcampbell

Wine is like food. I don't need someone to tell me if Indian or Mexican food is good.

+1

-- Jeremy

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 5
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 10:02:33 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

True, but some are better than others and if I want a recommendation on which restaurant to visit, I'd value someone else's opinion who I trust before trying.   Same as wine.

FWIW, Xochimlico is the best Mexican Restaurant, out of about 20 choices, in Yakima.  Great Mole.  In my opinion.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 6
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 10:11:30 AM   
brigcampbell

Great example. I love Mexican food but not mole. Doesn't mean that isn't the best mole on the planet.

I'm not anti critic, I take input from anyone, but I let my palate decide which foods I like.

I use the food example all the time because it's much less emotionally charge and it takes the mystery out of it.

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

Post #: 7
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 10:18:23 AM   
Sourdough

Interesting article!

Not too surprised if it is true for wine is quite complex and how a wine "tastes" depends on so many factors. I would like to see the details of the research/peer review of the research before I took the articles premise too seriously/literally.

WRT variability of judges...I think it is reasonable to consider that sometimes you want a hamburger and sometimes you want fried chicken. I would strongly suspect that your tasting profile shifts with your desires and that those wants could influence how you react to a wine.

There is lots of research that shows environment, biases, and intangibles affect how an individual rates things that should be "the same" such as the same wine with red food color!

Post #: 8
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 11:03:01 AM   
schwank

I agree that ultimately wine is subjective and each person can decide what they like and what they don't.

However I do not believe that means expertise is mythical. Just creating good wine takes an expert hand with knowledge of the grape and the various specific processes. Even for the consumer, knowing information about the grapes and regions allows one to purchase wines that are likely to satisfy their tastes.

As for blind tasting, I don't believe it alone is the ultimate knowledge. It is a tool to help the consumer train their palate, like rote ear training sessions are used in music education to help the brain identify intervals and chords.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 9
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 11:03:50 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

True, but some are better than others and if I want a recommendation on which restaurant to visit, I'd value someone else's opinion who I trust before trying.   Same as wine.

True, but I look to Yelp (a la CellarTracker) and to my friends whose palates I trust before I read the LA Times Food section.

-- Jeremy

Post #: 10
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 11:51:37 AM   
Sourdough

Hi Schwank!

I agree that expertise is not mythical. There are plenty of educated palates that are amazing. You didn't reply to me but I wanted to wrap my comments around that point, hopefully a bit more clearly. With something as subjective as wine it is hardly surprising that people (and even experts) would have some inconsistency. As I indicated, I would like to see the studies and experimental procedures for those could easily induce a good deal of variation/inconsistency also.

Salud!

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 11
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 12:44:44 PM   
PinotPhile

I agree with the wide variability/inconsistency among "judges" and view most competitions with some skepticism. A few in my circles consider me to be a bit of an expert; my focus has always been on encouraging people to enjoy any and all wines that taste good to them. Palates are personal. But it is rewarding to get folks to move just a bit outside of their comfort zone. Such as my friend, normally a hard-core Chard person, who actually agreed to try a Spanish Monastrell.

Cheers!

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 12
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 1:13:31 PM   
BoCron

I have come to the conclusion that I will never have a sophisticated palate (or whatever the correct term would be), but that doesn't mean I can't taste and decide what I do and don't like. For this reason, I tend to "believe" the ratings, or at least take them into consideration when choosing a wine. I also go by fellow CTers tasting notes. I have found a few people who have rated a wine I personally really liked and if they liked it I will go look at their other tasting notes and will seek out stuff that they like. Usually works well for me. A few times this has not worked out, a wine with a good score from some expert source has struck me as totally not worth the calories (sorry, but I do worry about that, so if I don't like it, down the drain it goes). As someone here told me in one of my first posts, a reliable source at a local wine store is worth their weight in gold, so that is my "expert" wine rater LOL.

Annette

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 13
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 2:06:47 PM   
Jack667

I think these studies about variability are skewed to produce the conclusions in this article. Good point that some of these local or regional wine competitions have mediocre judges (somebody's Uncle who's "really into wine"), so they should be taken with a grain of salt - and they are!
And it's funny how they say someone can't tell the difference between an $8 bottle of wine and a $16 bottle! Ha! That can be marketing, or any number of variables. What about an $8 bottle and an $80 bottle? You don't see that often, bc you'll find that people CAN tell the difference.
/rant off

< Message edited by Jack667 -- 5/27/2014 2:07:28 PM >

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to BoCron)
Post #: 14
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 2:32:13 PM   
mgriffith

Based on the responses thus far I consider the pot well and truly stirred.

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 15
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 2:32:27 PM   
Sourdough

I agree about the studies which is why I would want to see the research! And using price as an interchangeable substitute for quality is a pretty weak proposition!

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 16
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 2:34:09 PM   
mjobtx

If you watched the movie Somm, you saw how several highly skilled and educated wine tasters can draw completely different conclusions in their tastings. No surprise. We are after all unique individuals. That in now way serves to diminish the value of a good Sommelier. I have enjoyed many a great bottle of wine after a brief discussion with them. Perfect pairings that I never would have made on my own.

PlanoWino

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 17
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 2:56:00 PM   
Sourdough

+1

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 18
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 4:31:36 PM   
champagneinhand

If we are throwing down over wine, then we are not getting the whole point of wine. However, with increased alcohol consumption, the beer muscles seem to increase, and probably similar with Wine as it is with distilled spirits.

a Wine Bar fight. Something I have yet to see, but might actually pay to watch. I know that wrong, but "Go Time" with long stems and red juice would be interesting.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 19
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/27/2014 4:33:32 PM   
mc2 wines

If I enjoy a wine better because I believe in the Somm who paired it than I would if I'd just tasted it on my own, does it matter?

I'm sure there's so much to this that is subjective. Heck - two bottles of the same wine from the same vintage can have major variations if opened at the same time, let alone at different times. And then once you factor in personal taste... well... it's an art, not a science. I still appreciate there are ppl who know vastly more than I do and those friends who can call a Chilean Carminere rather than an Argentinian Malbec in a blind tasting definitely have a skill I don't possess.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 20
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 5:39:01 AM   
asajoseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

+1

Then again, I'm sure most people can spot a qualitative difference between (for example) Taco Bell & Mexique (Michelin-starred Mexican restaurant in Chicago). Likewise, I’m sure anyone who’s ‘into’ wine could fairly easily spot the difference between a Yellow Tail Shiraz & a Penfolds Grange.

This discussion happens a lot, and it always seems to seem to diverge into two streams of argument which aren’t actually mutually exclusive.

On one hand, you have people who’ll tell you that as a consumer, or as a oenophile, you should just drink whatever you like, regardless of the costs or the critics, so long as you enjoy it. If that means you’re drinking a case of Apothic every week, then so what? It’s what you enjoy that counts, and who can really disagree with that?

On the other hand, there is a clear qualitative spectrum when it comes to making wine. We could all (I’m sure) tell the difference between the Grange & the Yellow Tail. They’re on opposite ends of the spectrum. The trouble is, the closer you get to the centre, the more the lines blur, the more subjectivity takes over, the more external environmental factors come into play, essentially the harder and less meaningful the ‘judging’ becomes. Imagine 100 ‘wine experts’ are tasting 100 wines, ranging from the Grange to the Yellow Tail in quality, and asked to rank them from 1-100. How often do you think the Yellow Tail would end up in the bottom 10? How often would the Grange end up in the Top 10? Personally, I think the results here would show some consistency.

The real question, I suppose, is what happens when you start dealing with the middle ground. No wine taster is ‘perfect’. Nobody really pretends they are (even Parker). At some point, when drinking up the spectrum, things will start to blend into one another, memories will fade, perceptions will become clouded, and essentially things are going to become arbitrary. But that doesn’t mean that, on the way there, these ‘experts’ don’t come up with some useful insight. I’d trust most experts to pick an excellent wine, and I’d trust most to flag up an awful one. Where it gets difficult, in my opinion, is working out who to trust when it comes to that blurry middle ground. And that can’t be a hard job. Can anyone really taste 150 Cru Classes Bordeaux and come up with meaningful scoring for all but the best and worst?

So for me, the mark of a good taster is not someone who can effectively score wines that occupy the middle-ground of any grouping. It’s those who can pick the largest number of ‘top wines’ out of any tasting, and produce consistently good lists. I buy lots of claret, personally, and in my experience I think it’s worth trusting Parker over (for example) Jancis (though I find the latter far more engaging generally). The key thing to remember, in my opinion, is that not everybody is right all the time, and whilst you can find better ‘tasters’, the best experience to trust is, generally, your own.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 21
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 9:38:56 AM   
Stirling

I do think that there are different levels of expertise in wine appreciation, just as there are in every other form of appreciation, be it art, or food, or film, etc. The key thing is to understand there are two aspects to appreciation: objective and subjective.

The objective side of appreciation deals with the "facts", so to speak. If you hand two tasters a glass of say, Riesling, and one tells you they get apple, petroleum and crisp acidity and the other tells you they get blackberry, fudge and soap, well who do you think has the greater "expertise"? That does not mean that the second taster's interpretation was wrong, for them, but it simply does not translate for the rest of us.

The subjective side is quality focused: how good is the wine. If a taster has spent years tasting a multitude of different wines from different regions, and has been paying real close attention to what is in the glass, their qualitative assessment is likely to provide you better guidance than someone who does not drink wine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but an opinion that is formed after years of intensive study is one that is of greater interest to me. But at the end of the day, you and I will still end up liking what we like, whether that agrees with the expert or with the novice.

I, for one, pay attention to winemakers, sommeliers, critics, bloggers and others with experienced palates. I learn from them and I enjoy the discussion. I sometimes agree and sometimes disagree with their conclusions. But I recognize and value their experience and their comments that arise from that experience.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to asajoseph)
Post #: 22
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 9:50:13 AM   
brigcampbell

Stirling, nice post.

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 23
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 9:53:55 AM   
Sourdough

+1

Post #: 24
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 10:06:30 AM   
Blue Shorts

Two words..... BLIND TASTING

Have you ever been to a blind tasting, preferably double-blind? The results that I have seen mimic the results in the article. "Good" wines were disliked in many cases and "average" wines were lauded. I have gotten fun results when I put a mediocre wine in a bottle that previously held very expensive wine, secretly of course.

While there are some wines that are easily heads and shoulders above others, many wines in the 90-point range have more to do with the label than the contents when rated.

I haven't done blind tasting in a long time, but I fear that I may fall into the category of "can't tell **** from shinola". My biggest fear is that I'll find out that most of my collection is just "average".

Blind Tasting Offline anyone?

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 5/28/2014 10:07:07 AM >

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 25
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 10:31:10 AM   
PinotPhile

+2. Seriously.

Post #: 26
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 11:18:51 AM   
asajoseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

The objective side of appreciation deals with the "facts", so to speak. If you hand two tasters a glass of say, Riesling, and one tells you they get apple, petroleum and crisp acidity and the other tells you they get blackberry, fudge and soap, well who do you think has the greater "expertise"? That does not mean that the second taster's interpretation was wrong, for them, but it simply does not translate for the rest of us.

Probably means they'd fail a standardised tasting qualification (like WSET), however...

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 27
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/28/2014 7:46:51 PM   
geppetto

I've been drinking wine "seriously" for about 8 years now. I consider myself to be in the infancy of my wine knowledge. At this point I can tell you I like Vintage Port, CdP, Cali Cabs, and Zins. The list grows as my experience grows. I brought a wine that I really enjoyed to a blind tasting and eventhough I had consumed numerous bottles in the past, I couldn't identify it. I thought it was a Pegau. I love vintage port, but I find six grapes to be quite tasty, so what's up with that?

Recently I was in a wine maker's cellar doing barrel tastings of the 2012 California wines. He pulled a clone 7 cab and it was doing great, then he pulled a clone 4 cab and it was obviously different and also very good. Then he said, "this next one will knock your socks off", but he didn't tell me what it was. It was amazing, but for the life of me, I could not identify the varietal. Turned out it was a Stagecoach Zin. I love Zin, but I couldn't even identify it blind.

I have so much to learn! I still trust those with an experienced palate to give me some advice and I have virtually never been steered wrong by the product consultant at my local government store. Wine is a fun journey, and I leave it at that.

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to asajoseph)
Post #: 28
RE: Are these truly fighting words? - 5/29/2014 4:13:22 AM   
JGerbasIII

Living in a vineyard and being surrounded by other wine lovers, we hold blind "competitions" all the time. At the end of the evening we compare scores and funny enough they are almost similar around the table from most experienced to the novice.

Cheers,
John

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Are these truly fighting words? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI