CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Vinous buys out IWC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Vinous buys out IWC Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 6:55:41 AM   
River Rat

This just hit the inbox. Big news.

Dear Friends,

This morning I am thrilled to announce that Vinous has agreed to acquire Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar. You, our loyal subscribers, are the first to hear the news. The press release is here.

One of the most admired and respected tasters in the world, Steve Tanzer has set a high bar for independent wine criticism since he founded IWC in 1985. I have known Steve for over a decade, first as a reader of IWC and later as a colleague. I am delighted to welcome Steve to Vinous and am confident readers will find tremendous value in his insights and considerable experience.

I will continue to review the wines of Italy, Napa Valley, Champagne, Bordeaux, Sonoma, Santa Barbara and the Santa Cruz Mountains. Steve will take over primary responsibility for reviewing new releases from Burgundy (including Chablis), Washington, Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand, Port and Tokaj. I plan to spend a good amount of time in Burgundy, but my focus over the near and medium term will be on our interactive map project, although I will continue to visit domaines Steve has historically not covered. In a similar vein, Steve will continue to write about Napa Valley, where his focus will be on vertical and retrospective tastings. Steve's first article for Vinous will be on Washington.

Along with Steve, we will be welcoming the entire IWC editorial team to Vinous. Josh Raynolds will cover Spain, Rhône, Languedoc, Roussillon, Provence, Oregon, Australia, Paso Robles, Santa Lucia Highlands and Chile. Josh’s passion, enthusiasm and knowledge are incredibly wide-ranging. I am sure Vinous readers will feel the same way. Josh’s first article for Vinous will focus on new releases from the Rhône Valley.

When it comes to Italy, there is no one I hold in higher regard than Ian D'Agata. I have asked Ian to take over Central and Southern Italy, where the proliferation of top-flight wines now requires more time and attention than I have been able to dedicate. Ian’s first new article for Vinous will be on Alsace, a long-standing passion and a region Ian has visited regularly for the last 30 years. Ian will also be reporting on the wines of his native Canada.

Joel Payne will cover Austria, Germany and the Loire, three world-class regions that deserve more attention. Personally, I am looking forward to learning from Joel, as I adore those wines, but don't get to spend as much time with them as I would like to. Joel’s first article for Vinous will focus on Chenin Blanc, and will be followed by three verticals of Germany's greatest Rieslings.

Over the coming days and weeks we will be adding IWC's archive of 150,000 reviews and more than 500 articles to the Vinous database. During this time, the existing IWC website will continue to operate. We will also be publishing the entire contents of IWC Issue 177 on Vinous in the near future, including Josh on Santa Barbara and Champagne and Ian on Tuscany. There are bound to be some hiccups during this time of transition, so we ask for your patience. Be sure to consult this FAQ, where we will post updates.

In closing, I believe we now have one of the best and most experienced teams of wine critics in the business. I have never been more excited about Vinous than I am today. Please join me in welcoming Steve, Josh, Ian and Joel to Vinous.

Antonio

< Message edited by River Rat -- 11/18/2014 6:57:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 7:02:53 AM   
Eric

I am so happy for Antonio, Steve, and their respective teams. Integration with CT will of course continue undisturbed.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 2
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 7:03:12 AM   
cigar52

And it appears for those of us who subscribe to either via Cellar Tracker that we will now receive both. It also appears if you subscribe to both your subscription will be extended for the remaining months so you will not have any duplication of fees.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 3
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 8:05:06 AM   
BRR

Thanks for posting. I had asked a few weeks back about the details for IWC: who reviews what. Now that they are part of Vinous, I've just signed up for a subscription. This, to me, now appears to be the gold standard for wine criticism and journalism.

Cheers!

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 4
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 8:11:25 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

Sounds like a great marriage...Galloni naturally takes Piedmont, Tanzer Burgundy, and just fill in everywhere else.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 5
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 8:14:51 AM   
shemmy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

Sounds like a great marriage...Galloni naturally takes Piedmont, Tanzer Burgundy, and just fill in everywhere else.

Raynolds on the Rhone is no piker.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 6
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 8:16:54 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Thanks for posting. I had asked a few weeks back about the details for IWC: who reviews what. Now that they are part of Vinous, I've just signed up for a subscription. This, to me, now appears to be the gold standard for wine criticism and journalism.
+1

I'm going to wait a month, but will likely add Vinous too.  Of course if anyone wants to send it to me as a gift, I will happily accept.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 7
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 8:19:59 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: shemmy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

Raynolds on the Rhone is no piker.

Yeah, obviously he's a big piece of the puzzle.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to shemmy)
Post #: 8
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 11:10:55 AM   
GalvezGuy

Great news for everyone but WS and WA.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

Post #: 9
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 11:50:57 AM   
periko

Good news for their subscribers.

IMO the other interesting parts of this deal are:
1) IWC name/brand is lost despite being a popular publication with a long track record and, for me, synonymous of quality.... hence surprised to the little value of the IWC brand vs Vinous. But I guess someone has to give up.
2) Proves wrong those who predicted little to no pro-future to Galloni after his departure from TWA and his ability to run a publication by himself.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 12:08:54 PM   
ericindc

I know Galloni reviewed Napa stuff, but I don't know his palate for cabs/bordeaux. Considering that those two locations are the prestige center of wine, obviously galloni is going to do it.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to periko)
Post #: 11
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 1:02:07 PM   
smahk

Incredible news. I subscribe to vinous and enjoy the integrating with CellarTracker. No more flipping between websites, no cutting and pasting.

I said goodbye to WA long ago, and just canceled my automatic renew for WS.

Totally rewarding when searching for a wine and seeing both CT reviews and professional reviews.

Cin Cin!

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 12
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 6:38:36 PM   
jerry6

Been at IWC for years , not happy about this at all , IWC was my go to place because it was independent , not so sure the new site , now just another Parker want to be wine site , bigger does not mean better .
Good for Steve though , hope it pays off big .

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 13
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 7:04:35 PM   
petitblanc

Agreed. I've not found bigger to mean better in most things related to wine.

Tom

(in reply to jerry6)
Post #: 14
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/18/2014 7:31:35 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

I know Galloni reviewed Napa stuff, but I don't know his palate for cabs/bordeaux. Considering that those two locations are the prestige center of wine, obviously galloni is going to do it.

That would be interesting to watch, but I expect the ratings to be very even and consistent with what we've seen from IWC, etc. perhaps with a little extra enthusiasm mixed in.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 15
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/19/2014 5:49:23 PM   
skifree

I read my note from Steve Tanzer today announcing what this means for us IWC subscribers.

I am sorry that Ian D'Agata will no longer taste Bordeaux EP, I thought his reports were very good. I guess I will learn how Galloni does risk-free, since am not planning to buy 2014 EP at this point.

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 16
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/19/2014 5:53:08 PM   
Chip Merlot

I'm not happy about this at all. Mergers always suck (Exhibit A: Continental and United Airlines). Tanzer seems much more independent to me than Galloni, who seems like more of a cheerleader. I will miss Tanzer's ratings in the regions he'll no longer cover.

Post #: 17
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/19/2014 6:22:24 PM   
jerry6

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I'm not happy about this at all. Mergers always suck (Exhibit A: Continental and United Airlines). Tanzer seems much more independent to me than Galloni, who seems like more of a cheerleader. I will miss Tanzer's ratings in the regions he'll no longer cover.

Agree 100% . And just as IWC was gaining traction , example , his ratings included on the SAQ site , Quebecs gov wine importer , I was so glad to read the IWC ratings , they were ratings I could trust , Steve was no cheer leader , I found more often than not I agreed with his ratings . Others that I will not name not so much . I've gone trough a bit of the vinious site , does not interest me , to each his own . I'll miss your reviews and ratings Steve , Ian and the rest of the crew at IWC .

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 18
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/20/2014 8:45:50 AM   
joegish

Agree. Love the unbiased way IWC reviews wines and am concerned about this relationship going forward. I feel like I am losing an old friend....

Life is too short to drink bad wine

(in reply to jerry6)
Post #: 19
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 11/20/2014 2:55:15 PM   
KPB

I think you guys are worrying prematurely. Antonio has a great reputation and from what I've seen of his work, he has a high standard. Parker is quite the cheerleader and when Antonio worked for WA, sure, his writing sounded like WA writing.

But from what I've seen since he departed from WA he's toned that down a lot. And there isn't any concrete reason to think that IWC staff will change their approach in even the slightest way with this new business arrangement. Change isn't always a bad thing.

< Message edited by KPB -- 11/20/2014 2:56:23 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to joegish)
Post #: 20
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/11/2014 3:56:10 AM   
Eric

There are a number of technical issues to sort out on the CellarTracker side to fully merge IWC & Vinous, but meanwhile we are synchronizing the subscription dates (every few hours) on the CellarTracker side until this is fully integrated. So for ANY Vinous subscriber to see all of the IWC content on CellarTracker, they simply need to go here and ensure that they have properly activated their Vinous content: http://www.cellartracker.com/getcontent.asp

We have also taken the step of activating Vinous content on CellarTracker for any user who currently had IWC activated on CT.

< Message edited by Eric -- 12/11/2014 3:00:40 PM >

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 21
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/11/2014 9:25:53 AM   
skifree

Thanks for the post, Eric. I was one of the people who had issues; my IWC subscription expired December 4th and I renewed with Vinous - only to find that I had lost access to both the IWC web site as well as IWC content on CellarTracker.

When I went to the subscriptions page, there was no button to "update" my IWC subscription date. Had to contact Vinous technical support for help.

For those in the same boat as me, I can access IWC content from the Vinous site (their is a "pick" at the top of the page) but cannot access the IWC site itself any longer. They have 64 articles from IWC available that you scroll through to access. Very basic look and feel.

Mergers happen - sigh......

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 22
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/11/2014 9:55:12 AM   
bacchus

Tried following link, GT message "page not found"

Subscribed to vinous last month when merger was announced.

Thanks, in advance, for your help with this.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 23
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/11/2014 2:26:05 PM   
KPB

I went to "manage subscriptions", which is what https://www.cellartracker.com/getcontent.asp was supposed to link to, and indeed am shown as being a subscriber to Vinous. So I think the transition worked even though somehow the link Eric posted doesn't work.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 24
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/11/2014 3:01:13 PM   
Eric

Just a typo in my post with an extra slash on the end.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 25
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/15/2014 9:04:16 AM   
bacchus

My subscription is still not showing and I don't see the update button mentioned in FAQ on either classic or new version of manage subscriptions page.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 26
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/16/2014 2:59:35 AM   
Eric

Guys, absolutely nothing has changed in CellarTracker. Go here: https://www.cellartracker.com/getcontent.asp?FF=1

Next to both the IWC and the Vinous logo, you will see a button that either says UPDATE or SIGN UP depending upon the state of account linking in your account. Click it and login to the partner site with the login information you use for that partner.

Cliff, you have not activated EITHER publication. This is on you. There are SIGN UP buttons in your account. Please try them.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 27
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/16/2014 7:57:31 AM   
skifree

Hi Eric and Cliff,

The first time I pressed the "sign up" button for IWC on the subscriptions page, I was taken to the IWC web site - which of course did not let me sign in. That prompted my requests for support from the Vinous folks.

It did work the first time for the Vinous site itself, so I could see the Vinous content immediately.

I never thought this was a CT issue, btw.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 28
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/16/2014 10:15:48 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus

My subscription is still not showing and I don't see the update button mentioned in FAQ on either classic or new version of manage subscriptions page.

Looking through my email logs, you have never, once, ever activated IWC over the many years it has been integrated into the site. My earlier reply as well as our FAQ do explain exactly how to do this.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 29
RE: Vinous buys out IWC - 12/16/2014 11:36:19 AM   
bacchus

eric-

in reply to this post and your subsequent one:

1. correct- i never signed up for IWC.

2. i did sign up for vinous a few days after they announced the merger.

3. yesterday- i clicked on sign up again and successfully logged into the account.

4. today, i still do not see content on CT.

is it possible that if two different email accounts were used, the two accounts are not recognizing each other?

sorry you think i am a pain in the neck but i would like to be able to put this to rest.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Vinous buys out IWC Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI