CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What BEER are you drinking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/7/2015 9:19:42 AM   
neruda11

Broke out a Straffe Hendrik Tripel Bier 9° Sunday for the Tour of Flanders...sorry, Ronde van Vlaanderen...figured it'd be appropriate since it started in Bruges! I don't often drink Tripel, but when I do, I'd stick with Westmalle Trappist Tripel....

All hail Alexander Kristoff!

Straffe Hendrik Tripel Bier 9° 3.84/5
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(in reply to Beachrooster)
Post #: 2191
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/9/2015 5:38:34 PM   
fasteddie35

Just tried a Due South Calling All Cars Porter ! YUM ! Then went back to my old favorite, the Ten Fidy Stout. All Good ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to neruda11)
Post #: 2192
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/9/2015 5:40:30 PM   
fasteddie35

Neruda - Just saw that you are in Poulsbo. My inlaws were there for 30 years. No longer with us. Love that part of Seattle. We have to meet for beers soon. Ed

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 2193
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/9/2015 7:10:15 PM   
recotte

Beachwood Brewery Citraholic IPA; this is good stuff.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 2194
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/9/2015 8:12:04 PM   
hankj

Really love the Destihl Abbey's Single - great light-bodied clean American micro version of a Trappist Single. Nice Belgian ester profile but drinks like a poundable summer beer right from the can. Cool color scheme and fun graphic too.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to neruda11)
Post #: 2195
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/9/2015 9:22:52 PM   
champagneinhand

Split a pitcher of Souther Tier (NY) IPA with a friend tonight from the tap. It was nicely floral with a great mouthfeel and a very pleasant bitters as the beer went down the throat. Good stuff in a PO dunk town bar and grill.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 2196
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/10/2015 11:13:16 AM   
slaughterer

Been very partial to the "Knee Deep" IPA range lately.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 2197
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/10/2015 11:17:24 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

Been very partial to the "Knee Deep" IPA range lately.

I've seen these but haven't sampled. Sounds like I need to.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 2198
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/10/2015 11:32:21 AM   
slaughterer

Funny how Knee Deep does not make the top 100 in the beer press very often, but they are pricing at same level as high-end craft beers. "Hop Shortage" is a nice entry, but things get interesting quickly with the "Hortologist DIPA." The road to excess is clearly paved in the direction of their very powerful and impressive "Hoparillo" Triple IPA. Highly recommended. I was drinking these over Ballast Point and Stone for three weeks recently in San Diego.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2199
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/10/2015 1:38:31 PM   
neruda11

quote:

ORIGINAL: fasteddie35

Neruda - Just saw that you are in Poulsbo. My inlaws were there for 30 years. No longer with us. Love that part of Seattle. We have to meet for beers soon. Ed

Ciao Ed...and I'm quite partial to Chicagoland! Did 12 years in a row there between undergrad, gradschool and then stationed up at Great Lakes...good times!

Post #: 2200
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/10/2015 4:46:54 PM   
Old Doug

Oculto - beer made with blue agave, and blended with beer aged in wood from tequila barrels. Silky smooth, not much tequila taste, a good bit of blue agave sweetness and coolness on the back end. Not bad for a summer drink. 6.8 out of 10.0 I would shoot some hops in there to give it a little bit of bitter "bite," but what the hey....

It started out that way with the first couple, but now with four gone, it's too sweet, and too watery; won't get it again. The tequila/agave influence seems sort of cumulative, and for me it's ended up being faintly nauseating.

(in reply to neruda11)
Post #: 2201
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/16/2015 5:38:34 PM   
recotte

ThFP: Russian River Pliny the Elder

I also picked up a couple of bombers from Knee Deep. I'll report back.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2202
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/18/2015 9:32:23 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night with a nice Partagas Robusto, Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout ( not as big / bold as I was hoping ) and Fremont Brewing's The First Nail Imperial Stout ( absolutely wonderful ). I am going back for more of this bad boy. Yum ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2203
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/18/2015 1:17:32 PM   
slaughterer

Recotte. Curious what you make of he Knee Deep next to a RR Pliny.

Post #: 2204
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/18/2015 5:42:17 PM   
champagneinhand

So an afternoon celebrating the new nephew and the princesses volleyball team finally made it to a bronze in a regional tournament. She scored the final point and will nonetheless be insufferable until the Penn State Tournament in late May. I'm happy for her. Looking forward to varsity level play in Autumn.

Anyhow I've been drinking Newcastle and more Boddington pub ale. I'm a bit frightened by this voodoo love child, knowing wine was in the to do list later. I will have it another day if somebody has it on tap. High ABV at 9,5%.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 2205
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/18/2015 7:28:37 PM   
Old Doug

4 IPAs, all at the same time, 4 glasses. No real rhyme or reason, just what was easy to get. Had 2 of them before. Liked all 4, and I'm an easy sell for India Pale Ales, to begin with, but there is still quite a range within that.

Harpoon Leviathan. 8.0 out of 10. Speaking of that: 10% alcohol is evident. Caramel malt doubly so - despite the 471 being well darker in color, this one stood alone from the other 3 for more sweetness, dark spice aroma and taste, and in the end it was my least favorite. It's more "centered" around what really seems to me to be a "brown" malty nature, rather than giving that three-dimensional feeling that some IPAs do - that base of broad hoppy, bitter flavor, then the rise to the top of your palate with piney aromatics and relatively light, "golden" taste, perhaps with some green and/or yellow fruit aspects.

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter. 9.5 Yes, got some good stuff here. "The first beer to feature oil from wet hops steam distilled directly in the field, minutes after harvest." Gimmick? Maybe, but Holy Crow this one does deliver the goods, if you like that bitter hops taste. I make no claim to be able to differentiate between multiple hop varieties or anything, but there is a complexity in this one, if you will, and a glorious ascendancy in taste through the finish, toward the less-bitter tastes. At 6.2% alcohol, this is the "lightest" one of the four, and also the lightest in color. Would be great on a hot day, or any other day. Superb.

Breckenridge 471 Small Batch. 9.5 Different than the Hop Hunter, less of pure hop glory and more 'other' good stuff, multiple varieties of malts and hops. This was one of my absolute top beers last year, and figured it would win out among the 4. Relatively dark color for an IPA, but this one is light on its feet, especially at colder temperatures. When it gets warmer, the 9.2% alcohol becomes more apparent, and the whole package becomes a raging monster of flavor, the "wheels of balance" start coming off the axles. Any criticism here from me can only be faint - an absolute dynamite brew, supposedly created from the brewmaster's desire to do something different and cut loose, so to speak. Success, there.

New Belgium Ranger. 9.9 Just have to shake my head in wonder. Quite a few people would say this is a "middle of the road" IPA, but Dang - this one was firing on all cylinders tonight. This is an "AFWE" IPA brew, from this six-pack, anyway, subtle, refined, reticent - just be patient and adopt the "thousand yard stare" while your senses slowly realize what you've got. What you've got is an oncoming mountain of hop bitterness that spreads out across your tongue and the floor of your mouth, an ethereal citrus and piney aspect beginning to lift your consciousness away, up, up, and away. Herbal richness and sweetness appear, but in small measure, just the right measure. Even at nearly room temperature, this is that warm spring sun on your face after a long winter. I'm going back to the store and buy everything they have left of this.

Post #: 2206
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/19/2015 12:53:01 PM   
PinotPhile

I am not drinking any beer, but I buy it for DH and as gifts. DH received a four-pack of Iron Fist Renegade Blonde yesterday, from the craft brewery in Vista, CA. As a gift for his sister, who likes what I call "big beers" (high-alcohol), I got Iron Fist Dubbel Fisted. At 8.1% alcohol, it is likely to please. Or, at least, she will enjoy trying it.

DH describes the Renegade Blonde as having more character than most blonde ales; it compares favorably to Firestone 805 to him.

Cheers!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2207
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/20/2015 5:52:59 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

Recotte. Curious what you make of he Knee Deep next to a RR Pliny.

I picked up (and have since consumed) the Lupulin River and Simtra Triple IPA.

The Lupulin River, a Double IPA, started out strange. It had a very distinct taste of burnt rubber, which was odd but not entirely unpleasant in context. After warming up slightly, this dissipated and settled into a really good double. On par with Pliny? No. Really good in its own right and worth revisiting at some point? Yes. If it hadn't started out with that burnt rubber thing, this would be truly rockin'.

The Simtra, according to Untappd, I've had before, although I don't remember it. It may have been that kind of night when I had it before. I find this more in my wheelhouse, as IPAs go, than the Lupulin. I'd still take Pliny over this, no question.

In general, I think we've gotten to a point with craft brews that you really have to go out of your way to find one that's really poorly made. Whether or not something appeals to your personal preferences is another matter entirely, but the state of the art, and the available body of knowledge is such that the range of enjoyability in my recent experience goes from pretty darned good to excellent. This one is a little better balanced, that one a bit more citrusy... it all comes down to personal taste. Hard to go wrong, so long as you're getting your brew from a respectable source of one sort or another.

That said, there seem to be those handful of breweries that have found that extra something that really delivers. Russian River, Societe, Kern River, Bear Republic, Beachwood, Goose Island... these are few that immediately come to mind, and the list could quickly expand.

Post #: 2208
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/21/2015 4:07:56 PM   
JGerbasIII

st. bernardus abt 12 .... Never had a better abbey beer ever.

Cheers,
John

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2209
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/27/2015 8:31:56 AM   
Old Doug

Founders All Day IPA (Michigan) 9.4 and the best of the day, sad to say I only got half a glass as the keg blew empty. Beautiful, and at 4.7% alcohol you could indeed drink it all day. Hops, malt and grain tastes in miraculous harmony. Easy, fairly light, totally centered. No replacement keg was at hand, to my sorrow.

Coronado Islander IPA. 7.2 (California) A tad harshly bitter, over-balanced on the pine/citrus side.

Dogfish Head 61 Minute IPA. 8.8 (Delaware) This one is brewed with Syrah grape must, and is a bit different. Not for everybody, I am sure, but I liked it quite a lot, and you can smell and taste some "red wine" all along. A good, hoppy IPA with warm peppery spices and red fruit.

Alaskan Hopothermia Double IPA. 8.9 (Alaska) Not one to chug down; patience is rewarded here. There are many hop varieties used, and a great melange of tastes and aromas - I think it smells better than it tastes, marginally, but very pleasing and interesting. Bitterness and restrained sweetness interplay while malt, caramel, citrus, pine and yeasty flavors make themselves known.

Left Hand Milk Stout. 9.2 (Michigan) "English Style" or "Sweet Stout" or "Cream Stout," wonderful dark, fragrant delight with tar, chalk, mineral slate and dry liquorice on the nose, sweeter dark palate swirling down through malt-caramel wormhole. I drank a second one of these later on - just so darn good.

New Belgium 1554 Black Lager. 8.4 (Colorado) Seemed a little thin and one-dimensional, smells darkly malty, tastes of malt, faint chocolate, coffee. Not bad by any means but didn't really grip me.

Great Lakes Burning River American Pale Ale. 8.4 (Ohio) I found it under-powered, otherwise good. Hops and spicy citrus on the nose, smooth mouthfeel, good hop bitter taste with background spice.

B. Nektar Dwarf Invasion Mead. 8.3 (Michigan) Rich red color, cherry tartness, pine resin, honey on the nose. Palate is quite tart with restrained sweetness, cherry, piney spice, citrus. Very "clean," overall.

Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale. 8.0 (Michigan) Errs to the too-fruity, medicinal side, in my opinion. 9.5% alcohol yee haa.

Smokehouse Fortune Teller East India Imperial Porter. (Ohio) I cannot decipher what I wrote.

B. Nektar Zombie Killer Mead. (Michigan). 9.0 I must have liked it.

(in reply to JGerbasIII)
Post #: 2210
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/27/2015 5:08:28 PM   
Old Doug

Dos Equis Amber Lager 7.6 (Mexico) Almost no smell at all, and the taste is not all that much, though very good with Mexican food. I squeezed my lime wedge into the beer, and that was really good. A little bit malty, and fruity - it tastes "lighter" than it looks with the relatively dark color. Doesn't knock you over with flavor, but somehow ends up being very pleasing.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2211
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/27/2015 9:05:49 PM   
Chris D

Boulevard Brewery Smokestack Series "Bourbon Barrel Quad". It's as much of a mouthful to drink as it is to say. Good stuff, crazy big flavors but high octane and one glass is plenty.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2212
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/28/2015 9:31:34 PM   
fingers

Rogue Chocolate Stout. I can't remember the last time I had a flavored or infused beer, but I was never a fan. This, however, is delicious. Very nice dark cocoa flavor and overall it is sooooo smooth all the way down the gullet, with nothing harsh or bitter at the back end.
Yum, and a definite re-buy.

(in reply to Chris D)
Post #: 2213
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/30/2015 7:17:31 AM   
champagneinhand

I had some fun stuff while I spent some time in Texas earlier this week. From draft the most memorable was the Dirty Bonde lager. Very crisp and enjoyable. My buddy took me to a beer place and this was a draft special during happy hour. I wish I knew the maker but alas I wasn't in the mood for formal notes.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 2214
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/30/2015 8:54:37 AM   
Old Doug

Bell's Two Hearted Ale. 9.6. Have had it from bottles, but it was glorious from what seemed like a very fresh keg.

Citrus, apple and ginger in an overall floral aroma, backed up by a wide pantheon of warmer notes.

Full and inviting taste - waves of fruit and hops with a malt background; as the bitterness of the hops fades, a silky, buttery "higher-spectrum" rainbow of flavor comes in - orange, yellow, white and green fruit.

A very "busy" thing - I'd say just about perfect for what it is, an "American Pale Ale." If anything, I prefer a slightly leaner, more strongly hoppy brew, and thus didn't rate it higher.

Post #: 2215
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/1/2015 9:16:35 PM   
Old Doug

New Belgium 'Ranger' India Pale Ale. 9.9 New Belgium has totally and absolutely cracked my code.

I read the tasting notes on RateBeer and BeerAdvocate, and many people really like it, but rate it lower. Some people don't like it, although most of them are not IPA fans. Gotta like the bitter, gotta like the pine.... Some give it 5 out of 5; they must be like me.

Zymurgy Magazine, the publication of the American Homebrewers Association, recently had its readers vote Bell's Two Hearted Ale as the 2nd best beer in America. Russian River's Pliny the Elder was #1.

Well, I've never had the mighty P the E, though I'm a psychic Pisces and I bet there is some out there for me, somewhere, sometime. Just had a sizable quantity of Two Hearted Ale, two nights ago. It is excellent, it is full and engaging, to me it's like music produced as Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" - so many instruments in a cunningly dense arrangement, no gap unfilled. Intriguing, able to carry one away, but still, in the end, a little too much for me, too busy, no room for the more pure elements to run, no room for the dreams to really get going. Give me that single cello.

Or just give me that initial hard hit of pine resin - the old Ranger doesn't really bring the hops to you until you swallow, until there's air in your mouth. Oh, you know you're drinking an IPA just from the smell and the first taste, but the bitter doesn't really arrive until you swallow.

You swallow, and that's when you really taste and smell the whole deal - it's a smooth curve with the bitter hoppiness rising, plateauing, then falling, as citrus comes in, prominent lemon, fresh grass, and then honey and butter.

I don't know if it really tastes like honey and butter. Maybe this is but a "reflection," a reaction to the bitterness fading on the taste buds. Taste is relative, and can be affected by other things than one chemical or one present chemical group's nature. Example: I once got a six-pack of beer and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream; (yeah - that new diet didn't work out).

After eating the sweet ice cream - which really is just *so sweet* - they have to have a huge amount of sugar in it, as people almost always eat it cold, and cold things don't rock our sweet-sensing tastebuds so readily - after tasting the big sweet, then the beer tasted incredibly bitter by comparison, and this was not a bitter brew at all, by any means, to start with.

The beer's taste was altered, massively, by what I'd tasted before - nothing to do with the actual nature of the beer itself.

I think that is what's happening with the Ranger, it is the decline of the Bitter that accounts for some of the perceived tastes, they are not all there "on their own." It's all part of the magic, and I would think this principle has application in the wine world as well.

So, yeah, a long, wordy post. Well, as I've said for a long time - I like my prolix verbosity as well as my periphrasic circumlocution. In the end, I have to put Ranger as a full magnitude better than the Two Hearted Ale. They must have made it just for me.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2216
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/2/2015 6:56:01 PM   
champagneinhand

Doug, you being a Pisces makes perfect sense. What animal on the Chinese Zodiac?

You know me quite a bit and I'll bet you wouldn't be surprised to know I am a Sagittarius born in the year of the Minkey. My oldest brother and father are year of the Minkey as well.

For beer I'm back to the Murphy's Irish Stout, Boddingtin's Pub Ale, from which I've grown quite fond of lately and the leftovers of the 12 pack my spouse buy of Stella Artois. Not a horrid mass made lager. Nothing to write home about either.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2217
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/2/2015 7:30:49 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Doug, you being a Pisces makes perfect sense. What animal on the Chinese Zodiac?

Pig. (Heh, makes sense, eh?) Like Pisces, it's the last in the series. There is also the 'Element' associated with a given birth year - the repeating sequence of Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, each one lasting for two birth years, making for an overall greater cycle of 60 years. I'm an "Earth Pig," and for 1968/1969, you'd be an "Earth Monkey." My Earth brother Dave.

Once in a great while, this will come up for my wife and I, and she doesn't really like being a "Metal Ox."

quote:

You know me quite a bit and I'll bet you wouldn't be surprised to know I am a Sagittarius born in the year of the Minkey. My oldest brother and father are year of the Minkey as well.

For beer I'm back to the Murphy's Irish Stout, Boddingtin's Pub Ale, from which I've grown quite fond of lately and the leftovers of the 12 pack my spouse buy of Stella Artois. Not a horrid mass made lager. Nothing to write home about either.

Aww... Look at that cute little Minkey....

But seriously, yeah, Sagittarius - " a traveler of the body and mind," that's you, Dave. I have always liked Boddington's a ton. On stouts - there are so many good ones now coming from the craft brewers around the US, I have barely scratched the surface. Recently have had good ones from Colorado and Michigan.

Post #: 2218
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/5/2015 10:05:39 PM   
champagneinhand

Some fun stuff. I couldn't pass this stuff up as it has the local reference. Three Heads Brewing Rochestafarian Wee Heavy Ale.

Very bitter and heavy toasted mated barley. Thick chocolaty mouthfeel with bitter hops notes, and almost toasty but old styled for sure. Roc city would be proud. From a local suburb of Honey Falls, NY

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2219
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/7/2015 7:05:36 AM   
Old Doug

Free State Brewing Copperhead Pale Ale . 5.8 (Kansas) I think they are trying to do too much here. Centennial and Cascade hops is a good start, but the taste is skewed toward a darker, sweeter, malty quality, and it's overly heavy on toffee, due to Caravienne and Carapils malts. It's like measures of sherry and port wine have been added to the ale, competing with the hops too much, and drowning the pine and citrus elements. One guess I have is that the brewer is aiming for people who find straightforward IPAs too bitter, but the result is a mish-mash that's going to please few people indeed; too much being lost for what's gained.

Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI