CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Negoce?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Negoce? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 12:46:34 PM   
Blue Shorts

Well. I broke down and opened a bottle of the N.66,which was supposed to be Stags Leap...or at least mostly Stags Leap. I didn't see it.

The wine wasn't bad. I paid $15/bottle, and quite frankly, it is what would expect from a $15bottle of wine. Unfortunately, it does not live up to the pre-sale hype of being like a $70 dollar bottle of wine. If I had paid $70, I would be very, very upset.

Live and learn. I can use the wine as a "party wine"...something that I won't be the least upset if people swill it.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 91
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 1:07:30 PM   
BobMilton

That's been my reaction to #2 - a decent cheap party wine, but nothing great. Biggest problem is bottle variation - ranging from pretty good to downright awful. The Zin (#31) has been better, and worth the $12 a bottle (not counting shipping!)

Post #: 92
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 1:30:10 PM   
avalonandl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Well. I broke down and opened a bottle of the N.66,which was supposed to be Stags Leap...or at least mostly Stags Leap. I didn't see it.

The wine wasn't bad. I paid $15/bottle, and quite frankly, it is what would expect from a $15bottle of wine. Unfortunately, it does not live up to the pre-sale hype of being like a $70 dollar bottle of wine. If I had paid $70, I would be very, very upset.

Live and learn. I can use the wine as a "party wine"...something that I won't be the least upset if people swill it.

Try another bottle but do a 24 hour decant: decant the bottle the day before for 2 hours-then funnel back to bottle and recork. I find that helps on these young wines.

PS That was bottled 9/30/20

< Message edited by avalonandl -- 12/24/2020 1:46:00 PM >

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

Post #: 93
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 1:51:53 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Try another bottle but do a 24 hour decant

I still have over half of the bottle left. It's sitting, with a cork in the bottle, in the fridge.

I'll give it another taste later today or tomorrow.

Appreciate the advice .

btw...Yesterday, when I opened the bottle, I poured it into a wide decanter, through a vinturi. Then, I poured it back into the bottle, through the vinturi, again. So it has plenty of oxygen.

I'll post again after I try it.

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 94
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 2:01:07 PM   
Blue Shorts

Nevermind

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 12/24/2020 2:06:23 PM >

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 95
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 2:09:00 PM   
avalonandl

I posted a TN on # 68.

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

Post #: 96
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 2:15:57 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

posted a TN on # 68.

I assume that you are "WINE-ENTHUSIAST".

You do make a good point about it being recently bottled.....and you rated your wine similarly to what I did.....before you gave it more time and air.

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 97
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 2:20:21 PM   
avalonandl

Yes thats me. I tried the 24 hour decant, and it really made a difference by the end of the nite. The wine was starting to really open with cedar notes and more depth. It also gave me a slight headache too.

Post #: 98
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 2:25:27 PM   
avalonandl

https://denegociants.com/66

Try this page

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 99
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/24/2020 7:34:39 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

The internet is the modern day Wild West, having no real policing, and complete with snake oil salespeople. Saw this on Berserkers too: Cameron Hughes is the wine world's equivalent of J. Peterman.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 100
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/25/2020 2:49:23 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

It also gave me a slight headache too.

Do you find that a bit odd, or did you drink the entire bottle?

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 101
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/29/2020 10:21:33 AM   
haggis

quote:

ORIGINAL: avalonandl

Yes thats me. I tried the 24 hour decant, and it really made a difference by the end of the nite. The wine was starting to really open with cedar notes and more depth. It also gave me a slight headache too.

I have had screaming headaches after 1/2 bottle of some of these wines. No. 12 was the worst, but also the 43 Cab.

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 102
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/29/2020 11:31:51 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

I have had screaming headaches after 1/2 bottle of some of these wines. No. 12 was the worst, but also the 43 Cab.

It makes one wonder what's in these wines.

(in reply to haggis)
Post #: 103
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/31/2020 1:54:56 PM   
Poppacork

I bought a case of the #61 Zinfandel which is actually pretty good...especially for $9/bottle.

I also bought a case of the #50 Washington Cab which was speculated on WB to be Leonetti and it's really not showing well. I'd feel bad if i'd paid more than $15/bottle for it.

If the winery speculation on WB is correct, i have to assume these wineries are offloading bad barrels.

Post #: 104
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/31/2020 2:25:26 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

If the winery speculation on WB is correct, i have to assume these wineries are offloading bad barrels.

You don't think these wineries would sell off their best barrels to J. Peterman the Snake Oils Salesperon of Wine, do you?

If there were Truth in Advertising laws for wine sold over the internet, I would assume these are the equivalent of "factory seconds". That being said, I did buy 4 bottles out of the case of the #40 from a CTer and 3 bottles of a case of the #46 that was split among several Berserkers in the NJ / NYC area.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 105
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/31/2020 2:52:13 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

That being said, I did buy 4 bottles out of the case of the #40 from a CTer and 3 bottles of a case of the #46 that was split among several Berserkers in the NJ / NYC area.

Let me know if you want to buy a few bottles of N.66. Have I got a deal.....

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 106
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/31/2020 2:53:55 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

You don't think these wineries would sell off their best barrels to J. Peterman the Snake Oils Salesperon of Wine, do you?

If there were Truth in Advertising laws for wine sold over the internet, I would assume these are the equivalent of "factory seconds". That being said, I did buy 4 bottles out of the case of the #40 from a CTer and 3 bottles of a case of the #46

I love the part about J. Peterman......The Urban Sombrero comes to mind.

Let me know if you want to buy a few bottles of N.66. Have I got a deal.....

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 107
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 12/31/2020 5:32:02 PM   
dhp.

quote:

I really don't understand though why people use the list price as the benchmark price. If I paid the winery list price of most wines, especially in Napa, I'd be very unhappy. Most of those winery prices are inflated >30% from even normal retail pricing. I'd slash 50% off the de Negoce list pricing before using it as a benchmark.

Post #: 108
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 1/1/2021 1:01:52 PM   
Scott W

quote:

Yeah I bought that one too, the only one I bought (not sure why?) Anyways I threw it into a decanter for 24hrs and thought slightly better than how you feel? Oh well glad it was the only thing I bought. I don't need cases of unknown wine laying around!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Post #: 109
RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Neg... - 1/1/2021 1:12:31 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

I really don't understand though why people use the list price as the benchmark price.

Most of the people in this thread are quite familiar with the "list" prices for wines. We know the type of quality to expect for those wines, which is what was promised by De Negoce.

If we were told the truth, that these wines, at best, are worth the $15, and at worst, are barely drinkable, we would not have purchased them.

The wine that I purchased, N.66, is extremely young, but it is what I would expect from a $10-$15 wine, not a $70 list price wine.

And, btw, many Napa wineries sell their wine at list price, with no discounts.......and they do quite well.

Then there is the issue with getting headaches after drinking a couple of glasses. Not fun.

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 110
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Who has jumped on Cameron Hughes new Venture De Negoce? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI