CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional Italian dishes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional Italian dishes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional Ita... - 2/22/2021 2:56:05 PM   
WineJ2019

A regular meal for us on Monday nights is homemade slow cooked pasta bolognese, which I typically pair with an Italian wine like Barolo/Barbaresco or Chianti. (And I must confess it feels sacrilegious to reach for a non-Italian wine!). Just curious what others have tried in such a scenario? Thx!

< Message edited by WineJ2019 -- 2/22/2021 2:58:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 3:00:34 PM   
racerchris

I drink Bordeaux with just about anything.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 3:29:09 PM   
DoubleD1969

The other day I opened a Finger Lakes Pinot Gris with cacio e pepe because I didn’t have any Italian whites.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 3:50:17 PM   
jayrod

I think a Seghesio Zin goes well with tomato sauce,

Also had a Mondavi Napa Cab years ago with lasagna and it was great.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 4:19:56 PM   
grizzlymarmot

There is a nice tradition of Italian food in Argentina - so an Argentinian Malbec could be a good choice. Chile provides a lot of choices for 'old world' food.

(in reply to jayrod)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 4:33:13 PM   
khmark7

No

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 4:37:03 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

I drink Bordeaux with just about anything.

+1, though I do tend to pair Italian food with Italian wine most of the time.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 5:40:59 PM   
Paul852

Yes. I consider the style of the wine as much as its origin when pairing. And pasta bolognese (or pizza for that matter) for me is pretty forgiving in wine pairing - I'd be fine with Bordeaux, or Rioja or even a Cotes du Rhone, just depending on my feeling at the time.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 8
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 6:29:49 PM   
jmcmchi

Rioja,CdR, local sangiovese or nebbiolo

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 9
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 6:36:58 PM   
WineGuyCO

Cibo Italiano sempre con vini Italiani. Nessuno eccezione.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 6:55:50 PM   
ShawnM789

Yup, sure do.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 11
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 7:00:49 PM   
CranBurgundy

Burgundy goes great with some veal dishes.

On the flip side, BdM can be an awesome pairing with some Chinese dishes. Orange beef comes to mind.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 7:56:39 PM   
eyewino

Italian wine with Italian food. I believe it has been passed as a NATO resolution. This applies to no other country's cuisine...

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 13
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/22/2021 9:19:01 PM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy
On the flip side, BdM can be an awesome pairing with some Chinese dishes. Orange beef comes to mind.

"Orange beef" is an American pseudo-Chinese dish, like chop suey; you won't find it in China.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 14
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 4:41:21 AM   
Echinosum

Few countries have such diverse wine as Italy. We think of certain distinctive wines as being typically Italian. But the export market is focused on certain special things that are a small proportion of the production, and not so representative of the bulk. If, in Italy, you are drinking "an Italian red" with your pizza, that really could really be practically anything in style. It is a good thing that pizza is very forgiving of what you drink with it. Maybe that's part of why its so popular even in Italy.

Having a pizza might be an excuse to open an Italian bottle, but it really doesn't bother me if it is something else entirely.

Zinfandel? It's like primitivo. Merlot? They drink a lot of that in Italy. Etc.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 15
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 7:28:10 AM   
WineJ2019

Thanks all for the feedback / suggestions (and the warnings WineGuyCO and eyewino ! Those were well put). I went with the Bordeaux, specifically 2016 Ch Laroque which per the label is 95% merlot, 4.5% Cab Franc and 0.5% Cab Sauv (I don’t recall ever seeing fractional varietal %’s on a label before!). The match worked well for me, as the wine had a good dose of fruit and acid to pair with the dish. Also being young it was pretty lively.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 16
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 8:51:31 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineJ2019

A regular meal for us on Monday nights is homemade slow cooked pasta bolognese, which I typically pair with an Italian wine like Barolo/Barbaresco or Chianti. (And I must confess it feels sacrilegious to reach for a non-Italian wine!). Just curious what others have tried in such a scenario? Thx!

I'll frequently drink Italian wine with non-Italian food but rarely eat Italian food without Italian wine.

However, I have found that Grenache-based wines from the Southern Rhone tend to work quite well in a pinch.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 17
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 9:35:52 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl
I'll frequently drink Italian wine with non-Italian food but rarely eat Italian food without Italian wine.

However, I have found that Grenache-based wines from the Southern Rhone tend to work quite well in a pinch.

Not so surprising as grenache has long been grown in many parts of Italy. Originally from NE Spain, it was spread when various bits of Italy were run by the Kingdom of Aragon. Best known is Cannonau di Sardegna.

More generally I would suggest grenache has some broad similarities in character to various north Italian "workhorse grapes" like barbera and croatina. We rarely pay much attention to them, but are grown in quite large quantity and mainly go into more basic wines.

Southern Rhones often have a fair slug of mourvedre in them, which gives a touch of bitterness like we expect of some Italian wines such as sangiovese, Valpolicella, etc. I was drinking a Bandol (grenache/mourvedre blend) the other day and thinking how Italianate it was.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 18
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 11:02:59 AM   
Jenise

Loved walking into this thread this morning, as I am contemplating dinner tonight at the home of friends in our bubble. They're serving spaghetti. I have pretty much never had anything but red meat at their house, so this is new, and I know they pretty much buy/drink only Washington state wines. What do they usually drink with spaghetti? Surprising answer: syrah. Why syrah? Because it's not cab or cab franc, and those are pretty much the only other reds they seek out.

Some thoughts: respecting origins is nice and even important, and those of us with well-stocked cellars can go virtually anywhere. But the world's our oyster here because Italian food is so easy to pair food with! From the red sauces of Rome to the rosemary-scented roast lamb legs of Tuscany, the variables are great. And so are the grapes grown in Italy for wine. It's not monochromatic. Most pinot noir and tempranillo, for instance, respond well to tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms. And body, to my cook's mind, is as important as tannins and acidity (or the lack of) to getting the details right, in some cases more in fact than the individual grape itself.

So what am I taking to dinner tonight? Not sure, but it will be medium-bodied. :)

< Message edited by Jenise -- 2/26/2021 11:14:40 AM >

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 19
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/23/2021 2:52:37 PM   
Tricky99

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineJ2019

Nothing like a slow cooked ragu sauce. Always make ours with finely chopped celery, onion, carrots, touch of tomato purée and/or or blitzed tomatoes and finally quality mince beef. 3-4 hours on the stove simmering gently. If you can resist, even better devoured when it’s had overnight to seep and mature!

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 20
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/24/2021 3:46:45 AM   
pclin

French wines with Italian foods, my fav combo.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to Tricky99)
Post #: 21
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/24/2021 6:42:20 PM   
sastewart

Mostly Italian wines with Italian Food but have found nice matches with Rhones, Bordeaux, and Spanish Rioja or Garnacha.

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 22
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/25/2021 11:20:21 PM   
jonathanknowles

We usually do drink Italian wines with Italian food, just because we have a lot of Italian wines. We often drink Italian wines with any food really and rarely the other way round.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 23
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/26/2021 3:15:53 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

French wines with Italian foods, my fav combo.

Pretty common at Chez S1

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 24
RE: Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional... - 2/26/2021 5:04:59 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonathanknowles

We usually do drink Italian wines with Italian food, just because we have a lot of Italian wines. We often drink Italian wines with any food really and rarely the other way round.

This is our experience exactly. Steak and a super Tuscan, yes. A Cali Syrah and lasagna, not so much.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to jonathanknowles)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you ever pair non-Italian wines with traditional Italian dishes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI