CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Corked Tequila?????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Corked Tequila????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Corked Tequila????? - 5/27/2023 3:21:53 PM   
Blue Shorts

I opened a bottle of Don Julio Blanco tequila, poured myself a shot....and when I tried to drink it, there was a foul smell....a smell that reminded me of corked wine. I didn't realize that TCA can be a problem with tequila......until now. The Don Julio tequila has a natural cork and it definitely smelled like corked wine. The flavor of the tequila was off, too. I tried the Saran Wrap trick, and it did help it somewhat....and also confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed TCA.

Has anyone every run into this issue with tequila or other spirits?
Post #: 1
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/27/2023 6:52:48 PM   
KPB

I’ve definitely had this happen, although not with tequila. Most recently, it was actually a box of blueberries. Basically, TCA is produced by a family of molds and they grow on almost anything if conditions are right.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 2
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/27/2023 9:09:51 PM   
Eduardo787

I have never heard something like that with tequila. Could it be the cork perhaps ?

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

Post #: 3
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/27/2023 10:10:59 PM   
arthrovine

Indeed! I’ve experienced TCA with bourbon: Blantons and Eagle Rare. I’ve had it with Don Julio as well.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 4
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/28/2023 8:54:45 AM   
KPB

These molds grow on many surfaces. Cork, for sure (and many spirits have a cork). But they can grow in barrels, like when aging Anejo Mezcal, or even in the equipment used for roasting the agave and fermenting it. Same family of fungi that you see on the walls in a locker room or laundry room. In fact they can grow in an empty glass bottle if it isn’t perfectly clean and has some moisture.

Ken Birman

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 5
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/28/2023 8:57:00 AM   
KPB

And I’ll add that I’ve run into TCA in paper coffee filters and cups, bicycle water bottles, and even in the cups in the bathroom for brushing my teeth! The family of molds that can produce this stuff is huge.

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 6
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/28/2023 9:20:18 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Could it be the cork perhaps ?

Yes. That's what I've been thinking. The Don Julio has a natural cork. I just assumed that the high alcohol content would prohibit the growth of TCA.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 7
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/28/2023 9:26:27 AM   
KPB

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled? Then even if the mold stopped growing, the chemical could leach into the spirits over a period of time (TCA is just a chemical, one that people are cursed with the ability to detect in absurdly tiny amounts, probably because moldy fruit often develops TCA and isn't healthy to eat...)

Ken Birman

Post #: 8
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/28/2023 11:35:05 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled?

Agree. I ran into a corked bottle of this tequila a couple of years ago, but never made the connection to TCA. All I knew was that it didn't smell right and it tasted bad.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/29/2023 9:35:55 AM   
jcosindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

I tried the Saran Wrap trick, and it did help it somewhat....and also confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed TCA.

Though I’ve not encountered this issue with any soirits, I seem to learn something new whenever I join these discussions. I had never heard of the Saran Wrap trick for TCA. The “research” appears to be hit-or-miss, but I’ll have to give this a try sometime.

Cos

Post #: 10
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/29/2023 10:38:21 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

And I’ll add that I’ve run into TCA in paper coffee filters and cups, bicycle water bottles, and even in the cups in the bathroom for brushing my teeth! The family of molds that can produce this stuff is huge.

I sometimes get a hint of TCA in mouthwash…..just the big name brand, with alcohol, plastic bottle…

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 11
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 5/30/2023 7:55:01 AM   
wineismylife

I got a corked bottle of Grey Goose once. It can happen.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 12
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 6/1/2023 8:22:12 AM   
gruqqt@gmail.com

"If an agave worm dropped into a bottle was still wriggling by the time it reached the bottom, the tequila was safe to drink. If the worm died before it reached the bottom, the tequila was deemed unsafe for human consumption."

Post #: 13
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 6/1/2023 12:08:31 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

If the worm died before it reached the bottom, the tequila was deemed unsafe for human consumption

"If the worm hits the bottom of the bottle and starts dancing, invite all your friends over....it's PARTY TIME!"

(in reply to gruqqt@gmail.com)
Post #: 14
RE: Corked Tequila????? - 6/3/2023 11:02:44 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

I have never heard something like that with tequila. Could it be the cork perhaps ?

Of course it comes from the cork. That's why the term is "corked".

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled? Then even if the mold stopped growing, the chemical could leach into the spirits over a period of time (TCA is just a chemical, one that people are cursed with the ability to detect in absurdly tiny amounts, probably because moldy fruit often develops TCA and isn't healthy to eat...)

Indeed this is the case. Corks don't turn magically into TCA-producing wine destroyers once they're placed in the bottle. The bark is corked (ie. it contains TCA molecules produced by funghi) way before it is made into bottle stoppers.

Apart from beverages stoppered with cork closures (including not just wine, but also cider, beers and spirits like whiskies, rums, cognacs, tequila, etc.) lots of things can be corked. Some of the most common corked things people might encounter in their daily lives are garlic (typically those that are bleached white with chlorine) and baby carrots (but who actually eats these?).

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Corked Tequila????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI