CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 12:15:46 PM   
Ceriano

I’m considering putting a wine fridge in the garage. The garage is not air conditioned and can get very hot in the summer. Do the garage unit hold the temps steady?

Anybody has experience with this model?

https://vinotemp.com/products/garage-300-bottle-dual-zone-wine-cooler
Post #: 1
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 2:08:40 PM   
S1

S2 has 2 Eurocaves in the garage in coastal SC.
Cool as a tomb.

Not sure about Vinotemp though.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 2
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 2:10:49 PM   
Blue Shorts

It depends on what you mean by "can get very hot in the summer.". How hot is "very hot"?

I have a 350 bottle unit in my garage, but the garage keeps good temperatures on all but the hottest summer days, where it will go up to 85F or slightly higher. I had the original unit (Breezaire) fail twice in the first few years, but once I installed a CellarPro unit, it has worked great for the last 7 years. I used a standard model 1800 unit that exhausts directly into the garage.

The specs for the unit you are considering say up to 110F ambient. I have a difficult time believing that it can work/last very long at 110F. Whatever you buy, make sure it comes with a good warranty. The Vinotemp that you link to only comes with a one year warranty. Quality cooling units, like CellarPro, often have a five-year warranty. Those cooling units are typically $1,500 or more, so it's important to get a good one.

btw...I only mention CellarPro because I have one. There are likely other good brands out there.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 6/25/2023 3:55:06 PM >

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 3
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 3:23:11 PM   
DoubleD1969

In the thread below, another forumite suggested to install some kind of fan or unit to remove the hot air from the garage to reduce stress on the wine fridge.

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=34711

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 4
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 6:52:27 PM   
sanfoan

I live in the DMV - I have a Le Cache Bild 800 cellar in my garage. Garage temp goes up to 85F at most. Cellar works a little harder in the summer but the temp inside the cellar is constant year round, if that helps.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/25/2023 7:41:17 PM   
wine247365

I have a WhisperKool 2500 and it says it will only cool my cabinet by 30 degrees lower than the ambient temp. I think this is common with all cabinet cooling units. If your garage gets to 100 degrees, that means 70 in the cabinet AND the cooling unit will never stop running as it tries to get the cabinet temp down to 55. You should be very sure of the high temps in your garage first and if HOT, there are other garage temp reducing measures that may or may not help. Do your research well!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 6
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/26/2023 2:26:08 AM   
Ceriano

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanfoan

I live in the DMV - I have a Le Cache Bild 800 cellar in my garage. Garage temp goes up to 85F at most. Cellar works a little harder in the summer but the temp inside the cellar is constant year round, if that helps.

I wish I bought one before they jacked up the prices.

(in reply to sanfoan)
Post #: 7
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/26/2023 2:33:40 AM   
Ceriano

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

I have a WhisperKool 2500 and it says it will only cool my cabinet by 30 degrees lower than the ambient temp. I think this is common with all cabinet cooling units. If your garage gets to 100 degrees, that means 70 in the cabinet AND the cooling unit will never stop running as it tries to get the cabinet temp down to 55. You should be very sure of the high temps in your garage first and if HOT, there are other garage temp reducing measures that may or may not help. Do your research well!

That’s a good point. I ordered a Govee to monitor the temps first. I’m also curious to see what the temps are in the crawl space. Not sure how much it’d cost to build something there but it remain cool year round. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy. My off site storage is an hour drive, I need something for bulk storage.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 8
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/26/2023 2:44:22 AM   
Ceriano

There is a listing for a Le Cache vault on Facebook marketplace for $500. Not sure if the cooling unit works or not but that may be an option.

(in reply to sanfoan)
Post #: 9
RE: Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? - 6/29/2023 4:50:19 PM   
Ceriano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

It depends on what you mean by "can get very hot in the summer.". How hot is "very hot"?

I have a 350 bottle unit in my garage, but the garage keeps good temperatures on all but the hottest summer days, where it will go up to 85F or slightly higher. I had the original unit (Breezaire) fail twice in the first few years, but once I installed a CellarPro unit, it has worked great for the last 7 years. I used a standard model 1800 unit that exhausts directly into the garage.

The specs for the unit you are considering say up to 110F ambient. I have a difficult time believing that it can work/last very long at 110F. Whatever you buy, make sure it comes with a good warranty. The Vinotemp that you link to only comes with a one year warranty. Quality cooling units, like CellarPro, often have a five-year warranty. Those cooling units are typically $1,500 or more, so it's important to get a good one.

btw...I only mention CellarPro because I have one. There are likely other good brands out there.

I measured the temps. Garage was between 72 to 89. I imagine on the hottest days it’ll probably hit 95-100.
Crawl space was between 69 to 71 with minimal fluctuation. Next week will be in high 90s. I’d be curious to see how high it gets then.
If it doesn’t get too hot it may be an option for medium term storage.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Garage wine fridge units- do they actually work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI