CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/24/2023 11:48:41 AM   
Urohawk

My wife and I have pretty solid wine knowledge when it comes to US AVAs and wine. Rather than cycle back to old favorites (Napa, Willamette, Columbia Valley, and Finger Lakes) we were thinking about branching out to some areas we've never been. We live in Kansas City and as such know Missouri well. My question is, are Texas and Virginia worth traveling to to sample wine?
Post #: 1
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/24/2023 2:32:34 PM   
wine247365

They’re not!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Urohawk)
Post #: 2
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/24/2023 7:47:36 PM   
BenG

Traverse City, MI is a 12 hour drive and I would recommend quite a few wines there.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 3
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/24/2023 7:53:03 PM   
jonboy74

Not that I'm an expert but I had a surprisingly nice bottle from Colorado. Perhaps give that a go.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 4
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 7:07:59 AM   
penguinoid

JancisRobinson.com had a roundup of a few wineries in Virgina a while ago, and a couple seem worth visiting. The article is now free to read. I've never had the chance to visit myself, so can't offer personal suggestions -- but visiting lesser known wine regions is often interesting!

If you're a subscriber, there are further notes here.

< Message edited by penguinoid -- 10/25/2023 7:08:17 AM >

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 5
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 8:21:08 AM   
wineismylife

Texas has really upped it's game over the years. You can make a really nice trip through the Hill Country and taste at several nice wineries, eat well, hike if you'd like, etc... Nice long weekend trip. Plenty to see, do and taste.

Bear in mind that something like 80-90% of the grapes grown in Texas are grown in the Panhandle area near Lubbock, Texas. Several hours from anywhere. Most wineries in this state buy grapes from the growers in the "High Plains" AVA and truck them to their wineries throughout the state.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 6
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 11:36:01 AM   
Sourdough

I started a post similar to Joe’s. I agree with Joe.

Worth noting, while most of the red grapes in particular are grown in the High Plains around Lubbock, the highest concentration of wineries are in the Hill Country. And the Hill Country is more tourist friendly than the High Plains. Tempranillo, Mourvèdre, and Roses tend to be my faves but Sangiovese, Carmanere, and Cinsault are often delightful.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 7
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 12:57:30 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Would I visit Virginia to taste wine, No. Would I taste some wine while visiting Virginia, Yes.

I lived in Virginia 30 years ago, Richmond area, and began drinking some of their wines then. After moving away late 1990's I continued to cross the state often for family visits, so had opportunity to see the wine industry grow, and evolve. It's been about 7-8 years since we last visited Va wineries, so some may have changed recently. The biggest problem I observed with Virginia wine is Virginians. They buy the plonk in large volumes without discretion. Some of the bigger wineries around Charlottesville, (UVa, Horse, Monticello territory) have fabulous tasting rooms, always filled with tourists, and most of the wine I tasted there is undrinkable. I had better luck in the Shenandoah Valley to the west, but not much other tourism there unless doing Appalachian Trail, Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive.

Top wineries I tasted across the years were...

Cave Ridge (Shenandoah Valley, Cab Franc and Riesling), Barboursville (a bit North of Charlottesville, Bordeaux blends), and Horton (long ago favorite in my sweet wine days, but hey you gotta start somewhere). There are a few other well regarded Va wineries further east or closer to DC, I just haven't ever visited or tasted.

ETA... I remembered probably my first Virginia wine that I enjoyed circa 1990, Cotes d' Orange from Horton. They still make it... https://hortonwine.com/wine-detail.asp?winetype=1&wine=126

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 10/25/2023 1:13:19 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 8
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 1:23:21 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

ot that I'm an expert but I had a surprisingly nice bottle from Colorado.

Your post reminded me of a business trip to Colorado about 10 years ago. I was in Boulder and had some free time, so I went to a nearby bottle shop right next to CU Boulder. I was chatting with the proprietor for a while and asked him for some wine suggestions. I had already told him that I was from California, and I mentioned some of the wines that I preferred. He said...."The only wines that you will probably like are in that one aisle"......and he pointed to an aisle that had California and French wines. I asked him what Colorado wines I might like and he just smiled and shook his head.

Things change over time. I'm curious what Colorado wine you found to be good. I'd like to give it a try.

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 9
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 3:44:09 PM   
khmark7

Have had several wines from Colorado that I thought were well made.

If you are looking for a summer vacation area that includes some nice wineries I would recommend the Traverse City area in Michigan. Lots of boating, trails, good food, water parks, beaches and very scenic.

I have not visited Virginia or Texas.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 10
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/25/2023 7:38:10 PM   
WineGuyCO

Colterris, Carboy, Carlson & Brookcliff in Colorado.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 11
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/26/2023 9:34:39 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Is Sutcliffe still making anything interesting? I haven't tried recent vintages.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 12
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/26/2023 9:37:58 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Is Sutcliffe still making anything interesting? I haven't tried recent vintages.

They are still around and might make even more wine varieties than Colterris. I haven’t tried any of their wines I will look for some and try it. Have you had any of their wines you thought were good?

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 13
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/26/2023 9:38:43 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

Would I visit Virginia to taste wine, No. Would I taste some wine while visiting Virginia, Yes.

This.

Also, I think Glen Manor (Shenandoah Valley) is making some serious, age-able wine.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 14
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/26/2023 8:55:47 PM   
jonboy74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Things change over time. I'm curious what Colorado wine you found to be good. I'd like to give it a try.

The one I remember most was a 2016 Plum Creek Cab Franc. There was some guy on the other board from the CO wine agency or something giving a few bottls away to people to post up reviews, just before COVID struck. My bottle was left at a friends house in Denver for 3 years before I finalyl got it and tried it. I expected it to be terrible, it was actually very enjoyable. Would definitely take another glass if offered!

Post #: 15
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/27/2023 6:34:59 AM   
Sourdough

Should you decide to head south this article might be useful. The wines cited are solid to very good.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/with-hard-work-and-luck-texas-hill-country-emerges-as-a-wine-region/ar-AA1iTXaD

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 16
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/27/2023 1:28:32 PM   
thesternowl

@WineGuyCO Historically, yes. In particular, I have enjoyed their Chardonnay "Signature" and their Merlot from McElmo. Their Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc has also been good. The issue with their wines in the past have been how "green" they are young. The reds specifically. They need cellar time to round out. I'm not sure who is making the wines these days but Joe Buckle (ex-Flowers; pre acquisition) was there for many years.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 17
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/27/2023 1:51:18 PM   
skifree

The biggest problem I had in visiting central Virginia is the lack of competition at their small airports - so had to fly into either D.C. or Charlotte and drive the rest of the way. My Mom lived in Lynchburg for many years, so visited regularly with direct flights from Seattle.

Charlottesville, the Blue Ridge mountains, and the Shenandoah Valley are beautiful, especially during the shoulder seasons. I would recommend that as the base for any tasting trip and select the wineries based on the Jancis article.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 18
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/27/2023 9:06:58 PM   
prasm

Before retiring a few years ago, I used to travel to DC for business frequently and had the opportunity to visit many of the Virginia and Maryland wine areas over the years. I found the Charlottesville area to have the most interesting wines. Barboursville's Octagon, a Bordeaux blend, is surprisingly good and ages quite well. There are also several good versions of dry Petite Manseng in the area, Michael Shaps being my personal favorite. In addition, there are tons of historical sites in the area to entertain you also. My wife and I have entertained the thought of visiting the area for both its wine and history, though we're currently relaxing in our Willamette AirBnB after a day of tasting wonderful Pinot and Chardonnay.

< Message edited by prasm -- 10/27/2023 9:08:23 PM >

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 19
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/28/2023 6:43:52 AM   
hankj

If you want to visit a less prominent American wine area that has a variety of excellent wines and beautiful scenery, consider the Canadian Okanagan.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to prasm)
Post #: 20
RE: Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia - 10/28/2023 1:53:54 PM   
mjobtx

And Texas is the first and only place that I have visited and tasted wines produced from the Black Spanish (Lenoir) grape.

PlanoWino

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Rarer Wine Regions- Texas and Virginia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI