CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favorite NV Porto

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite NV Porto Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite NV Porto - 12/1/2023 7:38:10 PM   
khmark7

Any favorites out there? Just opened a Fonseca Bin 27 and it's massively corked so I need to purchase a replacement.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb
Post #: 1
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/1/2023 8:29:00 PM   
eyewino

As big Tawny Port fans...

Mt wife and I like Fonseca bin 27. And we just spent a week in Porto. But....Aussie stickie Yalumba Antique Tawny Dessert Wine is our house "Port". Sweeter and less acidity than true Port - absolutely. But overall delicious and could I end every evening with one - absolutely absolutely. (And I often do.)

I am a true AFWE, old-world wine snob. But this stuff...

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/2/2023 1:33:01 AM   
JohnNezlek

I must confess that I am a Port-slut.
I have rarely met a Port that I did not enjoy at least somewhat, I also have not had a bad bottle.

I think for the money (and the accessibility), LBV typically represents a good value.
Two of my favs (based on TNs) are Quinta do Castro and Smith Woodhouse.

For NV, as noted by eyewino, Aussie "stickies" can be hard to beat.
If you can find it, Jonesy Rare Aged Port (I think they had to drop Port from the name) represents a stupid good value.
Hardy's is another reliable producer.

van Zellers (from Portugal) is also reliable and inexpensive.

Cheers,
John

Too many wines, too little time.

(in reply to eyewino)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/3/2023 8:01:14 PM   
khmark7

Love the Yalumba tawny and I usually purchase each year.

Unfortunately I've had several Porto's ruined by TCA. I expect the reduction and funk, but I can't handle the cork taint and I do remember the very enjoyable Zoom meeting we had with Roy Hersh who discussed that topic a little.

Tonight I am trying the Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Ruby which is enjoyable, but probably just a step below the Sandeman's, Graham's and Warre's reserve NV ruby bottlings.

Thinking I should purchase another 10 or 20 year tawny....in the name of science of course. Still remember the hotel bar in Boston serving me a 30 yr tawny the night before the Boston Marathon a few years back. That didn't suck.

(in reply to JohnNezlek)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/3/2023 10:40:41 PM   
nwinther

More of a Tawny-person, myself, and I could make recommendations in that regard.
But the style is so different from Ruby (such as Fonseca's 27) that I'm not sure it's helpful.

RE; Stickies, they are sadly underrepresented in Denmark (Europe in general?). Last time I was in Australia (exactly 10 years ago) they had moved from Tawny styles to Madeira-style, selling these absolutely gorgeous Verdelho's or "Veer-del-oes" (that Australian twang, gottaloveit).
They too, are almost non-existent in Denmark.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/4/2023 5:27:02 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnNezlek
I think for the money (and the accessibility), LBV typically represents a good value.

Let me introduce to you, if you are unaware of it, the concept of Crusted Port.

LBVs are of course vintage wines, not NV. And there is a big difference in style between filtered and unfiltered LBVs. In my view unfiltered LBVs are much better, to the extent that I wouldn't drink a filtered LBV, not even from leading houses like Taylors. Out of LBVs, only unfiltered LBVs are proper port in my view. I think we established in a previous thread that QdCastro is unfiltered. I have found pictures of a Smith Woodhouse 2009 LBV clearly saying unfiltered clearly on it. Though I think the SW label is not much in use any more now that Symingtons, who own it, have bought Cockburns, a better known label.

But these unfiltered LBVs, being the thing most close to proper vintage ports, do benefit from aging, good ones for 20 years or more. You can drink them on release, and they can be delicious on release. But often they are intended to be aged in bottle for a time, often a decade or more. I'm sure people would recommend this for top ones like Warres LBV. So they aren't really drink-it-now wines like true NV productions. Though there are also, in general, NV wines worth aging - like champagne for example.

But there is an NV version of unfiltered LBV. It is even quite an old idea. It is called Crusted Port. It is essentially a cross-year blend of unfiltered LBVs. It rather fell out of fashion for a while. But it's coming back, and there's quite a bit on the market now, and even from leading houses like Grahams and Fonseca. It doesn't actually cost very much different from LBVs of that quality.

So for me, Crusted Port is the only kind of NV port (tawnies aside) I would drink. Because it is the only kind of NV port that is proper port.

(in reply to JohnNezlek)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/4/2023 6:12:35 AM   
nwinther

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum
I think we established in a previous thread that QdCastro is unfiltered. I have found pictures of a Smith Woodhouse 2009 LBV clearly saying unfiltered clearly on it. Though I think the SW label is not much in use any more now that Symingtons, who own it, have bought Cockburns, a better known label.

SW is very present in the Danish stores, since a few years ago. With both Crusted and Unfiltered LBV available.
Also Warre carries an unfiltered LBV, Rozes ("big" in Denmark - not sure where else), Noval, Niepoort, Sandeman...

But as you point out, these wines need age. A "Fresh" unfiltered can be rather acidic. Personally I often can't tell them from proper VP's.

Had a Taylors LBV 2003 (filtered) recently. It was absolutely beautiful and round, beginning to achieve some tertiary notes. Even with a T-cork, they can successfully age (but also carries increased risk of seepage).

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/4/2023 7:17:20 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7
Thinking I should purchase another 10 or 20 year tawny....in the name of science of course. Still remember the hotel bar in Boston serving me a 30 yr tawny the night before the Boston Marathon a few years back. That didn't suck.

We did a Grahams tasting when we were in Porto, which included the 10, 20 and 30 year port. 20 year was a huge improvement on 10. 30 was a bit better than 20 but hard to justify the price (around twice as much). We also liked Taylor Fladgate 20 year old, which we had after dinner in Braga.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 12:56:49 AM   
nwinther

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG
We did a Grahams tasting when we were in Porto, which included the 10, 20 and 30 year port. 20 year was a huge improvement on 10. 30 was a bit better than 20 but hard to justify the price (around twice as much). We also liked Taylor Fladgate 20 year old, which we had after dinner in Braga.

That's my sweet-spot, too, when it comes to Tawny. Both Colheitas and 10-20-30-etc. YO tawnies. To me I get most bang for the buck, at around 20 years of age. And while the older ports usually are superior, the increase in quality is logarithmic while the price increase is linear (or even exponential). I recently bought some 19 yo colheitas at $16 and they are delightful.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 5:54:25 AM   
khmark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnNezlek

Let me introduce to you, if you are unaware of it, the concept of Crusted Port.

LBVs are of course vintage wines, not NV. And there is a big difference in style between filtered and unfiltered LBVs. In my view unfiltered LBVs are much better, to the extent that I wouldn't drink a filtered LBV, not even from leading houses like Taylors. Out of LBVs, only unfiltered LBVs are proper port in my view. I think we established in a previous thread that QdCastro is unfiltered. I have found pictures of a Smith Woodhouse 2009 LBV clearly saying unfiltered clearly on it. Though I think the SW label is not much in use any more now that Symingtons, who own it, have bought Cockburns, a better known label.

But these unfiltered LBVs, being the thing most close to proper vintage ports, do benefit from aging, good ones for 20 years or more. You can drink them on release, and they can be delicious on release. But often they are intended to be aged in bottle for a time, often a decade or more. I'm sure people would recommend this for top ones like Warres LBV. So they aren't really drink-it-now wines like true NV productions. Though there are also, in general, NV wines worth aging - like champagne for example.

But there is an NV version of unfiltered LBV. It is even quite an old idea. It is called Crusted Port. It is essentially a cross-year blend of unfiltered LBVs. It rather fell out of fashion for a while. But it's coming back, and there's quite a bit on the market now, and even from leading houses like Grahams and Fonseca. It doesn't actually cost very much different from LBVs of that quality.

So for me, Crusted Port is the only kind of NV port (tawnies aside) I would drink. Because it is the only kind of NV port that is proper port.

Crusted? Never seen this. This gives me another reason to visit my local wine shop. Curse you!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 7:40:06 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Crusted? Never seen this. This gives me another reason to visit my local wine shop. Curse you!

Maybe it's time to start a Crusty Old Guys Searching For Crusted Port thread (present company excluded, of course).

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 8:12:54 AM   
Tpety

I love Kopke Fine Tawny's and drink one per week during the winter. I pay about $18 each which is probably high in the Midwest. They are perfect for ice fishing season.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 12
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 11:48:48 AM   
Blue Shorts

Here's a link to a good summary of the different styles of Port wine:

https://www.vivino.com/wine-news/the-types-of-port-wine

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 1:57:03 PM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts
Here's a link to a good summary of the different styles of Port wine:

https://www.vivino.com/wine-news/the-types-of-port-wine

Good for what? Well, it is at least brief. And I actually laughed at the chutzpah of some of the descriptions. It's good to know what they'd like you to think.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 14
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 2:58:18 PM   
ClausP

Not really sure I think it's worth chasing the crusted ports, they are 30-50% more expensive than lbv of the same age, and not really offering much extra in drinking pleasure.
You are basically paying for the producer to bottle age the wine for at least three years, which off course is more expensive than keeping the juice in a giant vat for more or less the same time.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/5/2023 3:49:07 PM   
khmark7

No crusty Porto at the LWS, but I did find some Taylor Fladgate 20 yr tawny on sale. This time of year they actually have a good selection of Porto & Port styled wines so I might return later this month for some other stuff.

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 16
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/6/2023 12:42:31 AM   
nwinther

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClausP

Not really sure I think it's worth chasing the crusted ports, they are 30-50% more expensive than lbv of the same age, and not really offering much extra in drinking pleasure.
You are basically paying for the producer to bottle age the wine for at least three years, which off course is more expensive than keeping the juice in a giant vat for more or less the same time.

Agree. Proper Vintage from smaller producers isn't expensive enough for it to make a difference (IIRC, Crusted was a VP "replacement" for the British customers, where unfiltered ruby from "off-vintage" vintages were blended and commanded a smaller price than the proper stuff, but still required some ageing. Later, LBV swooped in (at the behest of restaurants, or so I've read who couldn't afford storing VP for 20+ years, and probably didn't see the charm in crust?) and covered that end of the market - again at a lower price than proper VP.

As the use of second-wines and single quinta bottlings in off-vintage years took off with practically all producers, along side filtered and unfiltered LBV, crusted (re?)appeared on the market sort of as a nostalgic product, rather than the need to fill a gap in the port market. At least that's my take on it. And I don't appreciate (and drink) nearly enough port, let alone ruby port, to really justify diving into crusted. I have plenty of mature VP's and access to affordable new VP to really bother.
I'm much more interested in the newer white colheitas etc. that began appearing 10+ years ago.

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 17
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/6/2023 4:03:28 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: nwinther

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClausP

Agree. Proper Vintage from smaller producers isn't expensive enough for it to make a difference (IIRC, Crusted was a VP "replacement" for the British customers, where unfiltered ruby from "off-vintage" vintages were blended and commanded a smaller price than the proper stuff, but still required some ageing. Later, LBV swooped in (at the behest of restaurants, or so I've read who couldn't afford storing VP for 20+ years, and probably didn't see the charm in crust?) and covered that end of the market - again at a lower price than proper VP.

As the use of second-wines and single quinta bottlings in off-vintage years took off with practically all producers, along side filtered and unfiltered LBV, crusted (re?)appeared on the market sort of as a nostalgic product, rather than the need to fill a gap in the port market. At least that's my take on it. And I don't appreciate (and drink) nearly enough port, let alone ruby port, to really justify diving into crusted. I have plenty of mature VP's and access to affordable new VP to really bother.
I'm much more interested in the newer white colheitas etc. that began appearing 10+ years ago.

Certainly I haven't been tempted to buy crusted in recent times because it is too expensive for what it is, as you say. 30 years ago it was better value.

So your interpretation that this is about nostalgia rather than filling a gap in the market makes a lot of sense.

I hadn't noticed colheita white ports. On searching I find they are available here, but not very much. And it's seems to be pretty much all Kopke. I've tended to think of white port as being rather limited in terms of quality - Taylor sells its Chip Dry, and that's it, for example. I don't mind having an aperitif of white port when in Portugal, but when I arrive home I'd rather spend my money on sherry. It always made me wonder why they didn't try harder to make better versions, it must be possible, and perhaps that's what's now happening.

What I do like better is what I first learned to call Moscatel de Favaios, since denominated as Moscatel do Douro - though it nearly all comes from the vicinity of Favaios. I've not seen a vintage version of that. It's simple stuff, but I like it. Rarely seen in Britain, and not exactly prominent in Porto either.

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 18
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/6/2023 10:36:39 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

Graham's 10 year is the only non-vintage Port I'll buy anymore. I let it sit on the rack for at least 6 or 7 years, sometimes over a decade. It actually does improve a slight bit, with the alcohol heat settling down a little. There's just way too many very good to excellent LBV and Colheita at affordable pricing to spend time sifting through all the NV Port out there.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 19
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/6/2023 11:05:25 PM   
nwinther

quote:

I hadn't noticed colheita white ports. On searching I find they are available here, but not very much. And it's seems to be pretty much all Kopke. I've tended to think of white port as being rather limited in terms of quality - Taylor sells its Chip Dry, and that's it, for example. I don't mind having an aperitif of white port when in Portugal, but when I arrive home I'd rather spend my money on sherry. It always made me wonder why they didn't try harder to make better versions, it must be possible, and perhaps that's what's now happening.

Was my take on White port too, until recently: It was a (semi)dry cheap whatever from the bottom shelves.
Only later, I realized it's widely used as a base for many aged tawnies and I can recommend you try an aged whits (they come in 10yo etc. as well). It's a very full, pleaseant experience, and while perhaps less complex than the aged red (tawny), you are in for a good time. Makes sense why they might be interesting in their own right (as colheitas/aged).

I know Andresen makes an affordable 10yo white in 50cl bottlings (ca $8 US?)

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 20
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 5:11:41 AM   
Jenise

I love port and own several dozen vintage bottles but almost never open them because the quantity's daunting for just the two of us. Among NV's, the Fonseca is my favorite (she said, to stay on topic).

But get this, and don't laugh: my current favorite is some silly but real Portugese tawny called Portofino that I bought at Grocery Outlet. And it's my favorite not because they're high quality, they aren't, but because they are so ridiculously decent and cheap. I'll be serving them with Belgian chocolate tortes at a holiday dinner for 72 I'm cooking on the 22nd. And the price?

I'm not kidding about cheap. They were $7/bottle AND I bought them during a 20% off sale AND I got an additional 10% off for downloading their app to my phone so net-net, the cost of eight bottles (all they had after I took one home to try the day before), including tax: $42.

That's right, I'm going to serve real port to a whole room full of happy holiday diners for $42, all-in, and they'll feel pampered. How could that not be my favorite???

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 21
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 7:21:11 AM   
fingers

Jenise, my younger colleagues would say you're "crushing it!"

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 22
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 8:27:39 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

I love port and own several dozen vintage bottles but almost never open them because the quantity's daunting for just the two of us. Among NV's, the Fonseca is my favorite (she said, to stay on topic).

Well, Port does keep well for a couple weeks in the fridge so.....

quote:

That's right, I'm going to serve real port to a whole room full of happy holiday diners for $42, all-in, and they'll feel pampered. How could that not be my favorite???

That's a win, and another reason why we need a "Like" button here on CT.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 23
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 9:15:47 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Jenise just pwned this thread. w00t!

I may have to pop into our local Food 'n Stuff (the affectionate nickname for our Grocery Outlet) to see if I can score a bottle of the Portofino just to try.

I love Vintage Port, but rarely have an occasion to open a bottle--especially a full 750ml--as my regular drinking companion isn't much of a fan. These days, when I want a glass, I turn to my Coravin.

It's been a while since I've had a tawny or LBV, though, and this thread has certainly renewed my interest. You're a bunch of lousy enablers! (Said with much love.)

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 24
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 9:22:49 AM   
WineGuyCO

Just bought a Taylor Flagate 10 Year Old Tawny yesterday for $23. Thanks enablers The 20 Year Old Tawnys we’re $50-$60 which seemed high. Especially when I bought a 2000 Croft Vintage Port for $63 just a couple days earlier.

I was also worried about storing the bottle after opening since I will most likely be the only one drinking it until my kids arrive in a couple weeks. I read the bottles will keep in the fridge for a month or more so that is good. I also have several Repour stoppers a CT friend left which are really cool. I need to order a few more on Amazon.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 25
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 6:08:50 PM   
Jenise

quote:

quote:

Was my take on White port too, until recently: It was a (semi)dry cheap whatever from the bottom shelves.
Only later, I realized it's widely used as a base for many aged tawnies and I can recommend you try an aged whits (they come in 10yo etc. as well). It's a very full, pleaseant experience

White port and tonic with a fresh basil leaf, on ice, is a very pleasant summer afternoon patio cocktail.

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 26
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 6:15:58 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

It was just luck. I rarely go in there--not interested in their wine department but they actually carry something I needed and while there, I picked up a few cheap chards for cooking purposes. Saw the port and thought why not buy a bottle and swing by a winemaker friend's for a taste-test (he'll be at the dinner I bought these for). We were all kinda shocked at how decent it was.

That said, I was at the local Kroger-affilliate today and saw that a Dow's Tawny is only $16/750 ml. If I'd been aware, I might have opted for this less risky option instead--would have been $13ish with a quantity discount. But oh well, I did buy one for a backup in case one of the others is corked. And maybe that one will find its way onto my table....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 27
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 10:27:17 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Dow's Tawny is only $16/750 ml.

That would have been my move also. Dow's is my second favorite VP from 1985 behind Graham's. A little less sweet profile, yet still yummy.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 28
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/7/2023 10:50:43 PM   
nwinther

quote:

quote:

quote:

Only later, I realized it's widely used as a base for many aged tawnies and I can recommend you try an aged whits (they come in 10yo etc. as well). It's a very full, pleaseant experience

White port and tonic with a fresh basil leaf, on ice, is a very pleasant summer afternoon patio cocktail.

Agree. However there is just SO much else, that is a pleasant summer afternoon (or just afternoon) drink, that I never make that one myself.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 29
RE: Favorite NV Porto - 12/11/2023 10:29:09 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

quote:

Only later, I realized it's widely used as a base for many aged tawnies and I can recommend you try an aged whits (they come in 10yo etc. as well). It's a very full, pleaseant experience, and while perhaps less complex than the aged red (tawny), you are in for a good time. Makes sense why they might be interesting in their own right (as colheitas/aged).

I haven't got to try many white ports, but when I was in Porto earlier in the year I was served a 2011 Quinta do Ventozelo White Colheita Port as a dessert wine. It's very sweet, but a very good dessert wine. Worth looking out for.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite NV Porto Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI