CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine during diet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine during diet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine during... - 2/17/2024 9:54:37 AM   
Eduardo787

I've done quite a few different crazy things in my life trying to unlock health issues. There was one time that I didnt eat anything at all during 2 weeks ( yes, nothing, nada, just water) . There was another time that I was on a pure liquids diet including bone broth, etc. While this experiments have helped me understand my constitution much better, I can do this because I have no underlying health issues ( other than my obvious insanity) so during the lenght of this diets I have zero problems. Now I want to embark on the so called carnivore diet for a few weeks. My biggest issue is regarding beer because I have to make a complete stop because it is made of grains, but I have found conflicting info regarding wine. Of course I am not planning to get wasted, but also I dont want to break the diet because I want a glass of cabernet.

I would like to guess than many of you have done different diets in your life and was wondering if any of you have done this carnivore and can give me his or her input.

PS...when I mean that I am trying to unlock health issues I mean things like for example : trying to undertsand if vegetarian is better than carnivore, if tryglicerides really go up or down regarding diet, if cholesterol is affected by diet or is genetic , etc. So, to say it in another way, I love to be my own guinea pig and I go very often to have my blood drawn and because of that I have learned a lot.

< Message edited by Eduardo787 -- 2/17/2024 10:09:03 AM >

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 10:12:33 AM   
Jenise

From what you've said, Eduardo, you're not a vegetable eater, so when you say 'carnivore' you must mean virtually nothing but meat. That concerns me because your body needs fiber, but putting that aside...

A pure protein diet is essentially carbohydrate deprivation. Pure protein diets have also been dubbed 'drinking man's diets' because alcohols like whiskey aren't carbohydrates. Wine doesn't entirely qualify but once the process of ketosis starts burning your stored fats some can be tolerated without upsetting the apple cart entirely. A good friend of mine in the wine world lost 80 pounds over the last year by cutting out carbohydrates--but not wine.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 10:42:06 AM   
BenG

You might get a bit of keto breath.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 3
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 10:46:29 AM   
DoubleD1969

The diet is called Atkins. Lol

I’ve lost weight on Atkins, but it’s not all carnivore. Essentially, I eliminated carbs, including wine, for about 3 weeks and then introduced good carbs and some wine gradually. Long term, you can eliminate the bad carbs from processed foods to keep the weight off and even lose more weight. The challenge of course is having the discipline to not open the bag of potato chips or Ben n Jerry’s.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 4
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 10:58:18 AM   
Eric

Eric Guido who writes (exceptionally well) for Vinous has been living on the Carnivore diet for years. It works well for him.

BTW, it is a bit different from Atkins as I understand it. https://carnivoresnax.com/blogs/articles/carnivore-diet-vs-atkins

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 11:56:36 AM   
WineGuyCO

Mostly it’s just called the Keto Diet now but Adkins was the first rendition. The carnivore diet is just a keto diet. No rice, bread, potatoes, sugar etc. This way of eating works amazingly for me. After a while it just becomes routine. Beer is out except for no/low carb light beers. As long as you minimize carbs you will lose weight. Red wine is fine in moderation. White wine is much higher in carbs.

There are many keto recipes and keto products you can buy as substitutes. Almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husks, keto sugars, xantham gum, whey protein isolate, all products you will get used too. You can eat the amounts you want as long as no carbs. Hard liquor for the most part have no carbs so lots of Clase Azul tequila is on the diet .

After a week or 10 days you won’t crave any of the carbs you normally eat. Proteins are fine but best to mix in some fish, chicken once in a while so your cholesterol doesn’t skyrocket. Low fat cheeses are better. Sandwiches using lettuce for bread tastes great. Mix in some exercise and expect to lose 8-10 pound the first 30-45 days or more if you have more to lose.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 6
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 11:57:24 AM   
penguinoid

I'm not sure I'd recommend a meat-only diet, but worth noting that it many Indigenous peoples in the Arctic circle have traditional diets that are almost exclusively meat, and that such diets are not inherently nutritionally unbalanced or unhealthy.

Canadian explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson was apparently one of the first non-Indigenous people to take this kind of diet seriously and experiment with it: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/all-meat-diet

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 7
RE: Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine du... - 2/17/2024 5:51:25 PM   
khmark7

My friend tried that diet once and all he got was constipated.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Carnivore diet. Any experiences? What about wine during diet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI