CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't looked back since...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't looked back since... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't looked ... - 4/15/2024 2:49:54 AM   
fanglangzhe

Came across this recently and wasn't aware of the trend it describes. I wonder if it is just cyclical or represents a longer-term shift. I still sense red wines are discussed more often than white wines in this CT forum but CT members aren't necessarily representative of the entire wine drinking market. At least one active forum member doesn't drink white wines at all, any of you totally avoid RED?

https://www.meiningers-international.com/wine/insights-wine/oiv-reports-red-wine-losing-its-appeal
Post #: 1
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 3:48:34 AM   
khmark7

Growing and producing red wine is expensive (barrels etc), especially compared to white wines. Back in the day growers also cropped much much larger harvests so it was easier and more logical to produce more lower quality and lower cost red wine, thus making it easier to purchase.

Not sure if these trends are driven by cost, newer riper styles, or just different demographics of those who now drink wine but my consumption habits really have not changed all that much over the last 20 years. I still drink about 60-70% reds and overall consumption is down.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 2
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 4:50:56 AM   
Paul852

Our consumption has changed a bit. We've always been quite big drinkers of white, rosé and champagne, but even more so recently. In the last 12 months 15.8% red, whereas ~5 years ago it was 37% red.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 4/15/2024 4:51:16 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 7:21:02 AM   
MB1991

As a data point, at my country club 25% of ALL wine sales are made up by La Crema Chardonnay.....the top 5 wines make up 70% of all wine sales and only 1 of those is a red (Evolution Pinot from Oregon), the rest are a sauvignon blanc from NZ, a pinot grigio and whispering angel rose......the typical wine drinker and majority of revenue stream is FAR from the typical member here.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 4
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 7:29:02 AM   
DoubleD1969

One of the main reasons people use CT is tracking their collectible wines, and the vast majority of wines you want to age beyond 10 years are reds.

I’m probably not surprised white wines outsell reds. White wines have less alcohol. They’re better sipper on a warm day, which most people experience longer than a cold wintry month or two.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 5
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 8:50:49 AM   
Ibetian

We drink mostly reds, but we have different red and white habits.

The average price of the still whites we drink is probably around $20. We cellar almost no whites. We like ‘em cold and crisp, cheap and cheerful. We often start the evening with a glass of white, then have red with dinner.

We enjoy champagne, and I have a bit of DP stashed away, but mostly we drink NV in the $35-50 range.

For reds, I spend a lot more per bottle and have accumulated a large cellar, mostly Bordeaux, but also Burgundy, Tuscany and CA cabs. The average age of the wine in my cellar is 14 years, so we usually drink properly aged wines with good food. I’m lucky.

< Message edited by Ibetian -- 4/15/2024 8:51:17 AM >

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 10:59:12 AM   
ericindc

I know alot of "normies" who dont drink reds for a whole host of reasons, from getting headaches from red wine, to liking sweeter wines, or just an idiopathic preference for whites or rose.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 7
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 11:20:50 AM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

I know alot of "normies" who dont drink reds for a whole host of reasons, from getting headaches from red wine, to liking sweeter wines, or just an idiopathic preference for whites or rose.

Who says wine is not educational? I learned a new word today, idiopathic.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 8
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 2:59:50 PM   
bularry

dang, that's kinda depressing

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 9
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 3:01:10 PM   
bularry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

The average price of the still whites we drink is probably around $20. We cellar almost no whites. We like ‘em cold and crisp, cheap and cheerful. We often start the evening with a glass of white, then have red with dinner.

We enjoy champagne, and I have a bit of DP stashed away, but mostly we drink NV in the $35-50 range.

For reds, I spend a lot more per bottle and have accumulated a large cellar, mostly Bordeaux, but also Burgundy, Tuscany and CA cabs. The average age of the wine in my cellar is 14 years, so we usually drink properly aged wines with good food. I’m lucky.

you don't find white wines of quality a match with meals? That's pretty interesting.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 10
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 3:41:55 PM   
fingers

15 years ago my consumption was 65% red. That has fallen to 45% over time and I think the main driver was discovering just how captivating a blanc or rose', with or without bubbles, can be.

< Message edited by fingers -- 4/15/2024 3:42:14 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 6:06:40 PM   
fanglangzhe

quote:

ORIGINAL: bularry

quote:

you don't find white wines of quality a match with meals? That's pretty interesting.

That is indeed curious. I find many foods to pair much better with whites/sparkling than reds. I find sparkling to be especially food friendly/flexible. Just IMO. YMMV.

(in reply to bularry)
Post #: 12
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 6:16:32 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: fanglangzhe

quote:

ORIGINAL: bularry

quote:

That is indeed curious. I find many foods to pair much better with whites/sparkling than reds. I find sparkling to be especially food friendly/flexible. Just IMO. YMMV.

Well, that’s the way we roll. In half a century of drinking wine, I’ve tried many different things. But we’ve decided that we would rather drink red Burgundy than white with meals that others would choose differently. Indeed, YMMV. Though I agree that champagne is a fine dinner companion.

Post #: 13
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 6:18:37 PM   
KPB

I drink a reasonable percentage of white wines, but not more than reds. In the family and friends circle I’m noticing that white is often popular with people who feel that red wines have too much alcohol… I wonder if that concern is widespread?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 14
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 6:40:34 PM   
fanglangzhe

quote:

Well, that’s the way we roll. In half a century of drinking wine, I’ve tried many different things. But we’ve decided that we would rather drink red Burgundy than white with meals that others would choose differently. Indeed, YMMV. Though I agree that champagne is a fine dinner companion.

I agree. I find lighter bodied/higher acid/lesser oaked reds to be very food friendly also and would put many Pinots in that category. Also Etna Rosso, Beaujolais Cru, etc.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 15
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 6:55:37 PM   
skifree

Last year 68.6 % of the wine I consumed was red, pretty consistent with my historical average.

I too like white wine as an aperitif. However, I much prefer white wine with all types of white fish and shellfish, which we eat on a regular basis.

I drink way less pink wine than the French! Thanks for sharing the article.

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 16
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 7:33:09 PM   
WineGuyCO

Since 2011 and the 2234 bottles we’ve consumed 97.2% were red and 2.8% were white. I don’t really see this changing. I know Eduardo’s white wine consumption has been zero (0%).

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 4/15/2024 7:34:42 PM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 17
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 8:28:15 PM   
mclancy10006

In my peak white wine buying years it is only 33% of my total purchases. Most of the time it is sub 10%. There are only a few white burgs that I buy to cellar as most whites (even many burgs) are for the here and now.

All time

Red 81.5% Bottles purchased (3,062) / Remaining (1,548)
White 17.4% Bottles purchased (654) / Remaining (126)
Rosé 1.1% Bottles purchased (40) / Remaining (16)

-Mark

< Message edited by mclancy10006 -- 4/15/2024 8:30:28 PM >

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 18
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/15/2024 11:22:15 PM   
nwinther

I have much less ritual with my white wines than with red. Even at the lowest shelf-wines that I drink.
I also spend way less on a white than a red.
White is much more quaffable and if I'm in that "let's drink a lot of wine"-mood, it's usually white I drink.

So I suppose it's not surprising that white is outselling red.

If one were to look at the top quarter (or top half, even), seen as a price pr. liter, I would be very surprised to find white outselling red. Personally, I'd be willing to pay maybe 2-3 times more for a top bottle of red than a top bottle of white. For some reason.
And as much as I adore white wines (mostly Alsace), I often treat is like it's a whole different kind of drink. Almost like beer.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 19
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/16/2024 3:11:48 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7
Growing and producing red wine is expensive (barrels etc), especially compared to white wines.

Barrels are optional for both white and red wines, depending on the style. Quality red wines are more frequently fermented or aged in barrel than quality white wines. But I don't think cheaper wines of either colour, which are most of what's in the mass market, see barrels very much. Much more often they see giant tanks of cement or stainless steel.

A material factor in the cost of wine production, especially cheap wine, is if the wine needs to be aged - in whatever, tank, bottle, barrel - for longer before it is saleable. And that costs money because it ties up capital (finance cost) and it occupies space (rental cost) and it may occupy equipment (equipment depreciation cost). And to the extent that white wine can mostly be sold younger, I would say that was more relevant, at the cheaper end of the market, than specifically barrels.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 20
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/16/2024 11:09:11 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7
Growing and producing red wine is expensive (barrels etc), especially compared to white wines.

Barrels are optional for both white and red wines, depending on the style. Quality red wines are more frequently fermented or aged in barrel than quality white wines. But I don't think cheaper wines of either colour, which are most of what's in the mass market, see barrels very much. Much more often they see giant tanks of cement or stainless steel.

A material factor in the cost of wine production, especially cheap wine, is if the wine needs to be aged - in whatever, tank, bottle, barrel - for longer before it is saleable. And that costs money because it ties up capital (finance cost) and it occupies space (rental cost) and it may occupy equipment (equipment depreciation cost). And to the extent that white wine can mostly be sold younger, I would say that was more relevant, at the cheaper end of the market, than specifically barrels.

You forgot to factor in the cost of Mega Purple.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 21
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/17/2024 10:05:57 AM   
Jenise

On another wine site I'm involved with, where most of us have known each other there for 20-30 years, a whole lot of us have noted that over the years we have drifted toward a higher percentage of white wine, around 50/50 where once upon a time it was more like 80% red. The change was never intentional, it's just that our eating styles have changed as we've grown older. We haven't just abandoned the old axioms about when to serve reds and whites, though that's also involved, it's more that we eat a lot less red meat than we used to and compensatorily more fish and vegetable dishes. Our meals are not just lighter and healthier, many are quite international (Asian, and Ottolenghi-ish) with complex spices that pair better with white and rose wines.

A change that's gone along with this evolution is that our price tolerance for white wines of significance (as compared to just quaffers) has gone way up. Or to put it another way, not only do we spend more per bottle for white wines, there are more great whites in the market place to spend our money on.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 22
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/17/2024 6:19:07 PM   
bularry

I don't have any stats as I don't track a lot of wine I buy for near term consumption but I'd guess my white consumption is 70% of what I drink. Been getting into more Austrian and Alsace whites over the past couple of years

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 23
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/18/2024 12:47:02 AM   
penguinoid

I think I am probably not normal in this regard (or in many other regards, thinking about it ), but I tend to drink more reds than whites. According to CT, I drink about 66.8% red, 28.9% white, and 1.6% rosé.

I take white wines as seriously as red and enjoy them just as much, I just end up drinking them less frequently. This is partly because I need to remember to put white wines in the fridge a bit in advance, and I often forget . Red wines have the advantage that they can just be opened and poured.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969
I’m probably not surprised white wines outsell reds. White wines have less alcohol. They’re better sipper on a warm day, which most people experience longer than a cold wintry month or two.

I guess this depends on where you live. In the UK, the converse would be true -- you experience colder wintery weather for longer than a warm summery month or two

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 24
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/18/2024 2:14:16 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

I think I am probably not normal in this regard (or in many other regards, thinking about it ), but I tend to drink more reds than whites. According to CT, I drink about 66.8% red, 28.9% white, and 1.6% rosé.

I take white wines as seriously as red and enjoy them just as much, I just end up drinking them less frequently. This is partly because I need to remember to put white wines in the fridge a bit in advance, and I often forget . Red wines have the advantage that they can just be opened and poured.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I guess this depends on where you live. In the UK, the converse would be true -- you experience colder wintery weather for longer than a warm summery month or two

My own CT stats have me at 60-40 in favour of reds. I think big reds are popular in the summer in Britain, because it is seen as barbecue wine. But that's probably because, some brief heatwaves aside, our summers are not very warm by the standards of other places. At 25C, a really nice summer's day here, you aren't thinking it's too hot to drink red wine and eat steak. I also cook a lot of asian-flavoured food. But there's a fair proportion I'm happy to drink red with. Certainly happy to drink red with something like tandoori chicken or beef rendang.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 25
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/18/2024 8:33:57 AM   
Jenise

quote:

I just end up drinking them less frequently. This is partly because I need to remember to put white wines in the fridge a bit in advance, and I often forget

Another thing that changed along with our consumption rate and average price-per-bottle of white wine is our attitude about perfect serving temps. We generally pull them straight out of the cellar, though yeah we keep some quaffers in the outside fridge during the summer. Roses, though, we do tend to prefer chilled.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 26
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/18/2024 10:15:14 AM   
wadcorp

I'm at 77.1% for red, and 18.3% white, so heavily favoring reds.

Summers here see an uptick in whites, as we just cannot do a heavy red on a really hot day.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 27
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/19/2024 2:23:31 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

On another wine site I'm involved with, where most of us have known each other there for 20-30 years, a whole lot of us have noted that over the years we have drifted toward a higher percentage of white wine, around 50/50 where once upon a time it was more like 80% red. The change was never intentional, it's just that our eating styles have changed as we've grown older. We haven't just abandoned the old axioms about when to serve reds and whites, though that's also involved, it's more that we eat a lot less red meat than we used to and compensatorily more fish and vegetable dishes. Our meals are not just lighter and healthier, many are quite international (Asian, and Ottolenghi-ish) with complex spices that pair better with white and rose wines.

A change that's gone along with this evolution is that our price tolerance for white wines of significance (as compared to just quaffers) has gone way up. Or to put it another way, not only do we spend more per bottle for white wines, there are more great whites in the market place to spend our money on.

This is exactly what has happened with us. Although I've fully embraced the percentage paradigm shift, I still tend to pump the brakes at a lower price on whites than I do reds, even though our consumption habits would suggest we do otherwise. A recent-ish newfound appreciation for Champagne has played a meaningful role in driving white wine consumption up over the years.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 28
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/19/2024 6:20:22 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

quote:

I just end up drinking them less frequently. This is partly because I need to remember to put white wines in the fridge a bit in advance, and I often forget

Another thing that changed along with our consumption rate and average price-per-bottle of white wine is our attitude about perfect serving temps. We generally pull them straight out of the cellar, though yeah we keep some quaffers in the outside fridge during the summer. Roses, though, we do tend to prefer chilled.

I try not to get too obsessive about serving temperature, though I prefer to have white wines a bit below room temperature. I've not had anything approaching an actual cellar till recently*, so would have to cool them in the fridge. Even just half an hour is fine, but I don't always remember .

I prefer not to have them *too* cold either, since that can mute the flavour and aroma quite a bit.

I am happy to spend as much on a bottle of white wine as on a bottle of red wine, though.

* My current apartment has a space in the shared cellar, though it's not really optimised for wine. I guess it's probably cooler and more stable in temperature than my apartment, though, if just because it's underground. I will have to see what it's like in summer.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 29
RE: white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't loo... - 4/21/2024 11:23:28 PM   
fanglangzhe

What we've been saying here totally goes out the window in Mainland China, where it's at least 80% red wine. The very term "wine" in Chinese literally translates to "red alcohol" or 紅酒. You say white wine and most people will think you're referring to Chinese white spirits. But I figure very few CTers are based in Mainland China.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> white wine sales surpassed red in 2013 & hasn't looked back since... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI