RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Blue Shorts -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (2/7/2008 12:13:37 PM)

My wife and I had a bottle of Burrell School Cab Sauv last week.  We brought it to a local Italian restaurant.  When the waitress removed the foil, she just stared at the bottle.  She had this really bewildered look on her face.  I was surprised, too, but after the initial shock wore off, we removed the glass stopper.  It seals using a small plastic seal at the top of the stopper.

It was super easy to open and since the amount of plastic exposed to the wine is very small, I doubt that there would be any flavor issues.  I think it's a great idea for daily-style wines, but I still prefer the cork for long-term aging and asthetic reasons.

princessowine -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (2/7/2008 7:33:52 PM)

Fascinating... all of it and love the debate!

I too am skeptical of anything but horizontal storage. As I think we can all agree, wine is living. It needs the proper interaction w/ oxygen and I think the best way has been tried and tested thru the centuries and there's no short-cutting it. I'll bring bottles up that I know will be drunk but otherwise my cellar is horizontal.

zippz -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (8/24/2008 2:36:05 PM)

maestro... thank you for the link to the article on
"making sense of wine by matt kramer"
i tracked down the book via googles book previews
but unfortunately the section of the book that covers this topic is not available
so i tracked down a copy at the library and placed a hold on it
i'll either provide a scan or transcription of the section here

...and also found an article/research-study on "cork and closures"
that mentioned the following
"Another finding was that bottle storage orientation (upright or lying down)
had little impact on oxygen ingress through most of the closures into wine bottles
during the first 28 months of the controlled experiment."
http://www.winebusiness.com/ReferenceLibrary/webarticle.cfm?dataId=54423

zippz -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (8/24/2008 4:52:04 PM)

Impact of Storage Position on Oxygen Ingress through Different Closures into Wine Bottles
Paulo Lopes, Cédric Saucier, Pierre-Louis Teissedre, and Yves Glories
J. Agric. Food Chem., 2006, 54, (18), pp 6741–6746.
available via ACS Publications do we by chance, have any subscribers that can fetch us a copy?
and/or
subscribers to Practical Winery with issue
July/August 2007 in hand? scan us:
Oxygen transmission through different closures into wine bottles
Paulo Lopes, Cédric Saucier, Pierre-Lois Teissedre, Yves Glories

rbazinet -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (8/25/2008 10:32:48 AM)

Lopes et al. 2006 say “Wine bottle aging is extremely dependent on the oxygen barrier properties of closures. Kinetics of oxygen ingress through different closures into bottles was measured by a nondestructive colorimetric method from 0.25 to 2.5 mL of oxygen. After 12, 24, and 36 months of storage, only the control (glass bottle ampule) was airtight. Other closures displayed different oxygen ingress rates, which were clearly influenced by the closure type and were independent of bottle storage position (upright, laid down) for most of the closures tested, at least during the first 24 months of the experiment under controlled conditions. The oxygen ingress rates into bottles were lowest in screw caps and “technical” corks, intermediate in conventional natural cork stoppers, and highest in the synthetic closures.”

I have a subscription and can share the full article if you are interested, email me directly.

zippz -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (8/25/2008 7:30:47 PM)

thanks Rich, i just buzzed you an email at your UofT account

btw... being an alchemist/wizard-of-chemistry...
have you by chance come across any research
that would shed light on the validity of using corks to tenderize octopus?
for your reference...
here's a direct link to the beginnings of a discussion we had on the subject

jhannah27 -> RE: How long can a bottle be upright? (8/25/2008 9:19:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

My wife and I had a bottle of Burrell School Cab Sauv last week.  We brought it to a local Italian restaurant.  When the waitress removed the foil, she just stared at the bottle.  She had this really bewildered look on her face.  I was surprised, too, but after the initial shock wore off, we removed the glass stopper.  It seals using a small plastic seal at the top of the stopper.

It was super easy to open and since the amount of plastic exposed to the wine is very small, I doubt that there would be any flavor issues.  I think it's a great idea for daily-style wines, but I still prefer the cork for long-term aging and asthetic reasons.

If nothing else, I love the glass stopper that many winemakers are using these days rather than cork, synthetic cork or twist-offs.  Call me simple, but I think the fact that their sealing capabilities and their simple, easy to open functionality is pretty cool.

It's the simple pleasures in life for me.  [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI