What red pairs with Jambalaya? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Rossodio -> What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 4:04:49 AM)

See above... basic story is this - imagine your boss was having you over for dinner and was cooking jambalaya, and specifically requests a red to go with it.

I will be bringing two bottles - a red and a white. What do you guys think would pair well with jambalaya? I live in New Orleans, so this will be the real deal. What comes to my mind is a young shiraz, but I really have no idea how well this would work. For the white, it would need some RS, so one of the rieslings I have would be a no-brainer, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Check my cellar out and leave recs if you would on both red and white.

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=List&iUserOverride=34119

or

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/list.asp?Table=List&iUserOverride=34119 (new CT site)

musedir -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 4:29:58 AM)

2007 Clos La Coutale Cahors might do the trick.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:21:35 AM)

I had good luck recently pairing a grenache with jambalaya, So I'd go southern Rhone, https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=567495

grafstrb -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:26:29 AM)

Hmmm, I guess I'd take a different tack than you and the first two responders: my initial thought was "light, with zippy acidity." Perhaps a Beaujolais, Chianti, Nero d'Avola, a lighter-bodied Burgundy. If this is going to be the "real deal" then, imo, you want to avoid high-alc. wines as the spiciness of the jambalaya will only accentuate the alc. in a wine.

Real bummer a red has been requested, as, imo, this is absolutely screaming for a bone-dry minerally white wine.

Give me a few moments to peruse your cellar for recs. from you cellar:

I’m just going to list some possibilities, in order of cellar appearance, and my stream of conscience thoughts on them:

reds
I could maybe see the 1994 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chantemerle working, as it’s a lower-alc. CdP, and it will have aged into a more relaxed/refined state by now. That said, I don’t think the CdP flavor profile is what you’re really after here.

I’m not familiar with the producer, but perhaps 1999 Domaine Alain Burguet Bourgogne Les Pince Vin is what you’re looking for.

Sure, the notes on it aren’t very attractive, but 2009 Domaine de la Charmoise (Henry Marionnet) Gamay Touraine sounds like a good match.

Glad to see this is an option: 2006 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico. Many notes talk about its acidity and good typicity, which is what you’d want from any Chianti you pair with jambalaya (imo).

Maybe 2008 Rezzadore Tai Rosso Monte Oseliera if you’re looking for simple straightforward fruitiness.

With a healthy decant, perhaps 2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Morgon would be nice.

Whites
In general, I’d avoid Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc here, which knocks-out many of your whites. My whites suggestions (and thoughts) from your cellar:

I haven’t had this 2006 CastellRoig Penedès Terroja, but if it’s like many Spanish whites I’ve had (lots of mineral, low alc., with shades of fruit), then I could see that being a good match.

1997 Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Brut Cuvée Palmes d'Or would likely be excellent, but I don’t know if you want to blow such an expensive bottle in this situation.

2007 Viña Godeval Valdeorras Blanco sounds like a semi-boring wine, but perhaps the jambalaya is what it needs to really shine? Honestly, I don’t know – I’ve not had this wine, either – just going off the CT notes to get an impression of what it’s like. If it’s really fruity or has any sense of sweetness, then I’d avoid.

Either 2006 Domaine Jo Pithon Savennières La Croix Picot or 1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia could be excellent.

2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling Kabinett or your 2004 JJ Prum W.S. Kabinett would almost certainly be gorgeous with the jambalaya. Really, any Kabinett Riesling in your cellar would be a fantastic match here.

These sound interesting and promising: 2009 Rudolf Fürst Müller-Thurgau "pur mineral" and 2009 Schäfer-Fröhlich Riesling Medium-Dry.

recotte -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:28:13 AM)

Rhone or Spain... this caught my eye in your cellar:

2008 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja Berola

Hollowine -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:36:31 AM)

How many here might put Jambalaya into the same category as Paella? I know they aren't really the same, but many similarities.

That said, one of the greatest wine dinners of my life was a group of about 30 Cayuse nuts gathered at a restaurant where a monster Paella was cooked for 2 hours while we opened well over 25 bottles of Cayuse and 30 bottles of everything else (SQN, Lafite, Mouton, Kosta Brown, Pavie, Mercury Head, Champers, JJ Prum, Super Tuscan's, etc). You name the region, it was probably open. The food and wines went spectacularly!

My rule of thumb is drink from the region where the dish has it's roots, but this experiment showed the flexibility of some dishes. Don't know this helped any, but keep it in mind.

grafstrb -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:46:02 AM)

I'm really surprised at all the recs. for young/tannic/high-alc. wines you're getting. Those wines taste like tannins and alcohol when paired with spicy food. Proceed with caution and eyes wide open into such territory.[:o]

GalvezGuy -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:48:45 AM)

+1 I was thinking of something from Sicily or Spain when I started browsing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Rhone or Spain... this caught my eye in your cellar:

2008 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja Berola

fingers -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 6:55:42 AM)

Beer is actually the best match but 9 out of 10 sommeliers would go with a Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc. Only reds that would be recommended are Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, Syrah, or Zinfandel. Alcohol isn't the issue, it's tannins

grafstrb -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 7:01:46 AM)

I added my whites suggestions to my first post.

Rossodio, imo, you have many options from which to choose for this pairing. Have fun with it, and report back, please![:)]

grafstrb -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 7:02:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Beer is actually the best match but 9 out of 10 sommeliers would go with a Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc. Only reds that would be recommended are Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, Syrah, or Zinfandel. Alcohol isn't the issue, it's tannins

Lots of Tempranillo and Syrah can be quite tannic, no?

fingers -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 7:32:29 AM)

Syrah yes, depending on region but it is still one of the recommendations for Jambalaya from the "Definitive Guide to Pairing Food With Wine - What To Eat With What You Drink" book.

Interestingly, it does not suggest Riesling but rather dry Chenin Blanc as the seafood match. For chicken, go with Cali Chard

I am not a Sommelier, but I play one on this forum [;)]

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 8:11:14 AM)

I haven't tried the pairing myself, but if forced to drink a red, it would probably be Beaujolais or Nero D'Avola.  If it doesn't work out, you've only wasted $20 or less.  An IPA would be preferred or an Auslese riesling.

jeremyzolk -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 8:23:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I haven't tried the pairing myself, but if forced to drink a red, it would probably be Beaujolais or Nero D'Avola.  If it doesn't work out, you've only wasted $20 or less.  An IPA would be preferred or an Auslese riesling.

Exactly what I thought. I have no thoughts on reds, but Riesling and spicy seafood is a great match. Same with IPA. I always have IPA with spicy food, it's amazing.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 8:37:52 AM)

Veja Du[:D]

wineismylife -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 8:40:28 AM)

Why anybody would want to try and pair a Red with Jambalaya is beyond me but if I was going to do it I'd lean towards something very light and fruity.  Rose would be a better match.  Then again, BEER would be the best match.

Wine_Strategies -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 8:52:35 AM)

As some have already said, my first inclination(s) for a red would be something lighter, say Volnay or Fixin if you have some Burgundy, a cru Beaujolais, or something similar. Too much body and tannins, well, not so much. Rosé would prolly work. If white, I'd go with a Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico, Vermentino or maybe a Vinho Verde from Dirk Niepoort (Dócil). Beer would most likely work quite well; I'd prolly choose an ale over a lager.

musedir -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 9:23:12 AM)

My initial Malbec is pulled in favor of much better suggestions from a number of our more knowledgable CTers. Southern Rhone or Grenache would work fine, as would a good Rose.... But I think the whites really should be observed.

recotte -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 9:25:22 AM)

Really, the best suggestion so far is an IPA. If the host who is whipping up the jambalaya hadn't specifically requested both red and white wine, beer would definitely be my first choice.

locoghoul -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 10:33:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Hmmm, I guess I'd take a different tack than you and the first two responders: my initial thought was "light, with zippy acidity." Perhaps a Beaujolais, Chianti, Nero d'Avola, a lighter-bodied Burgundy. If this is going to be the "real deal" then, imo, you want to avoid high-alc. wines as the spiciness of the jambalaya will only accentuate the alc. in a wine.

Real bummer a red has been requested, as, imo, this is absolutely screaming for a bone-dry minerally white wine.

I'd recommend a Barbera (high acidity, low alcohol) but imo a Rose would go really well.

Wine_Strategies -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 11:28:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: locoghoul

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

I'd recommend a Barbera (high acidity, low alcohol) but imo a Rose would go really well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a Barbera fan as just about anyone could be, but since the Barbera usually sees the first and second year of new barrique (to give it the tannins it is missing) before those barrels move on to Nebbiolo (NO new barrique, already has enough tannins), I think, for me, anyway, that the wine would overwhelm the dish. Just my $0.02

- reserve the right to say it could be a perfect pairing, I love Barbera [:D]. Would love to know what the dominant spices/ingredients will be...so many different takes on this dish

champagneinhand -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 11:45:56 AM)

I am in the camp with a rose, even an NV Champers. Haven't had a chance to see the cellar, but Jambalaya employs the holy trinity of seafood in this spicy dish; Shrimp, Shellfish and Crab, Langostino or Crawfish and usually has some andoulie sausage with the red beans, rice and okra heavy veggies. I would definitely go with a Chablis or Chenin Blanc.

Uncle Noon -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 12:16:05 PM)

I live in Gonzales, Louisiana, the "Jambalaya Capital of the World." I have been eating Jambalaya all my life. The preferred beverage here is beer; any brand, any style. No cajun in his right mind would drink a "boutique" beer. I drink Zin or pinot when I drink wine with Jambalaya because good Jam is spicy, but not hot. I do caution you to be sure how the Jambalaya prepared before you choose your beverage. Case in point: In New Orleans, most Jam is red 'cause they add tomatoes; north of Nawlins it is brown from browning onions, pork, and sausage. How hot (peppery) the Jam is is one of the main differences. That said, in the book "What to Drink with What you Eat" they recommend Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc. As they say down here "I hope you get some good Jambalaya."
Laissez les bon temps rouler! Have a good Mardi Gras; I hope you catch lots of beads.
Frank

champagneinhand -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 12:23:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle Noon

I live in Gonzales, Louisiana, the "Jambalaya Capital of the World." I have been eating Jambalaya all my life. The preferred beverage here is beer; any brand, any style. No cajun in his right mind would drink a "boutique" beer. I drink Zin or pinot when I drink wine with Jambalaya because good Jam is spicy, but not hot. I do caution you to be sure how the Jambalaya prepared before you choose your beverage. Case in point: In New Orleans, most Jam is red 'cause they add tomatoes; north of Nawlins it is brown from browning onions, pork, and sausage. How hot (peppery) the Jam is is one of the main differences. That said, in the book "What to Drink with What you Eat" they recommend Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc. As they say down here "I hope you get some good Jambalaya."
Laissez les bon temps rouler! Have a good Mardi Gras; I hope you catch lots of beads.
Frank

nice. I love the stuff. Gumbo also is quite a treat.

I thought of suggesting Sancerre, but Savignon Blanc from Loire is similar in style to acid cutting crisp chablis, just a different grape. The beer is a good thing, do they drink Pearl Beer down that way, from San Antonio?

Old Doug -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 12:25:14 PM)

Sit around, drink the whites, then the reds.... After a while people will get the munchies - then bring the jambalaya out.

S1 -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 2:35:56 PM)

I can't believe I'm saying this but I am nearly positive it is the correct answer
Beaujolais

Old Doug -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 2:40:00 PM)

My father-in-law made jambalaya last Saturday and we had it with Chardonnay, Viognier, Syrah, BdM and Chianti. All good, and this was just a basic jambalaya, perhaps - rice, tomato-sauce-based, spicy, some veggies and cut up sausage in it.

Uncle Noon -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 4:05:59 PM)

Abita Beer is the most popular local beer around here. We don't see much Pearl Beer.

bretrooks -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 5:02:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle Noon

Abita Beer is the most popular local beer around here. We don't see much Pearl Beer.

We have a Creole cafe here in SLO called Bon Temps, and I invariably have an Abita Turbodog when we go there...

Winewise, assuming a spicy jambalaya but that the heat is dialed down, I'd agree with avoiding high amounts of oak, tannin, and alcohol. My inclination would be to go with a young, low-oak style of Tempranillo, Nebbiolo or Pinot, maybe a Grenache/Rhone if not too big. I could see Gamay working, too...

From your collection, I've had the 2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva and don't remember it showing much oak...that might go.

Old Doug -> RE: What red pairs with Jambalaya? (2/3/2012 5:27:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Abita Turbodog

Hats off to the funny, inventive, creative people who come up with some of these names for beer, wine, etc.  [:)]  I'm a sucker for them - doesn't have to be good - if I see a "Turbodog" or a "Dead Guy" or an "Old Leghumper Robust Porter," I'm going to drink at least one of them.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI