RE: Cellar Count Milestones (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

mclancy10006 -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/12/2015 2:21:57 PM)

Its easy to move a 1000 bottles just don't lift them all at the same time. I had 900 to move when I came south so its all about getting the right people to do it. :)

-Mark

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/12/2015 3:28:20 PM)

We moved ~650 by ourselves one hot July in Yakima, when we moved from Sunnyside to our current house ~ 50 miles. We knew we'd be moving so collected enough case boxes, and made 2 trips in a u-haul solely filled with wine on bottom layer, nothing else on top. Since it was July, we did those loads early morning, say 5 AM, coolest temperature of the day. I don;t plan on ever doing that again.

Our current cellar is firmly below 1000 at 980, (not counting 2013 Goat Rocks and ignoring the fact we have two full barrels and 3 carboys of 2015 wine in our family room). [8|]

arthrovine -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/12/2015 6:19:38 PM)

just moved under 88 pending for the first time in years. The moratorium must be working

Unless that case of splits of Beaucastel from BPW is a real order...

champagneinhand -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/12/2015 6:48:38 PM)

I'm sending Pinto his 18 bottles of 2012 Syrah and just hauling a case and a half up and out of the basement for UPS pick up on Monday is no fun. I just dread moving 850-900 bottles anywhere from across the street or to Florida. I'm getting old. Old Dave aka champagneinhand.

cookiefiend -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/21/2015 7:27:54 AM)

Just hit 3000 bottles. [8|]

Moratorium here I come!

drycab -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/21/2015 7:38:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

Moratorium here I come!

Dawn,

with people like US, the moratorium doesn't work...just sayin'!

dontime -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/21/2015 8:00:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

Its easy to move a 1000 bottles just don't lift them all at the same time. I had 900 to move when I came south so its all about getting the right people to do it. :)

-Mark

True. I moved 850 this summer...twice. I'm not moving again until I drink em all.

musedir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/21/2015 8:20:42 AM)

Having boxed up and moved close to 500 bottles this past summer from one state to another state (!) with the help and strong back of a 20-something who's past summer jobs was delivering beer, it's not easy and somewhat disruptive, but the next week I plan to unpack each of the frigs and do a complete I house inventory. Ready-to-drink lose their Eurocave cellar space as the ready-to-drink in my walk-ins still in Columbus. Simple math... The number of bottles able to be stored in the two Eurocaves and Cellar Keeper are less than the number of wines currently in the Wine Room... Take away "sleepers" that need longer storage and move them back to my Georgia offsite and then bring back the ready-to-drink bottles from the offsite to be stored here in Loachapoka, well then headaches about shipping and lack of room just multiplies.

Hmmm...does anyone else have these sort of storage and shipping issue So?[8|]

cookiefiend -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/22/2015 8:13:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

Moratorium here I come!

Dawn,

with people like US, the moratorium doesn't work...just sayin'!

Yeah, yeah… I know! [;)]
We're rebels Brad, rebels I tell you!

cjsavino -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (12/22/2015 8:17:24 AM)

When I broke through 500 a few years ago, thought this was all I needed and have been good at 600 or so for a couple years, now just past 700 and at this point could see 1,000 at some point, even though I should not go there.

BenNoir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/1/2016 1:51:43 PM)

We are halfway through the year so it is time to take a look at cellar size trends.
Not surprisingly, the cellar continues to grow. I have more cellar capacity - but would prefer to hang out in the under 1000 bottle zone.
But to do that, I've got to cut purchases down to 2 cases a month.

[image]http://i.imgur.com/C14df0P.png[/image]

I purchased 234 bottles in the last 3 months. If I'm going to get down to 72 got to get a bit more selective.
The top source for Q2 was Full Pull (45 bottles) but I also purchased from 33 other sources.
Last quarter's buying was fueled in part by visits to Walla Walla, Sonoma, Napa, Yakima, Red Mountain and Chelan.
Clearly I need to alter my vacation spots.
I also received a number of club/list allocations in Q2 - so I'll need to start pruning.

The data/reports available from CT are great aids for decision making.

ben

skifree -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/1/2016 6:56:17 PM)

Net increase in 10 for me through the first half of 2016. However, did add 31 to my pending total so the real increase was 41, not 10.

Feeling quite comfortable in the moratorium, day 25. Am thinking there is a CHANCE that consumption will exceed purchases this year.

Ibetian -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/1/2016 7:30:58 PM)

Based n the first half, looks like this will be the first year that I meaningfully shrink the size of the cellar. Finally.

BenNoir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/1/2016 8:03:46 PM)

quote:

Am thinking there is a CHANCE that consumption will exceed purchases this year.

quote:

Based n the first half, looks like this will be the first year that I meaningfully shrink the size of the cellar. Finally.

There is hope.

ben

racerchris -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/1/2016 9:03:23 PM)

It looks like I'm on a path to exceed 250 in Q3 this year.
A few months ago I was trying to stay below 200 but that didn't work.

jmcmchi -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/2/2016 2:49:33 PM)

Rescue trapped wine....one bottle at a time[:)]

mtpisgah -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/2/2016 3:15:01 PM)

We are sitting at 682 with 59 pending. According to Dr C I am limited to 365 in stock at any time. I think I blew it somewhere along the line. The cellar is over capacity and I am soon going to have inaccessible areas where I will store the Long term agers. I should have built a bigger cellar.

BenNoir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/2/2016 9:17:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

quote:

I am soon going to have inaccessible areas where I will store the Long term agers.

Long term storage, separated from "ready to drink" is important.

ben

MindMuse -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/2/2016 10:16:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bennor

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

quote:

I am soon going to have inaccessible areas where I will store the Long term agers.

Long term storage, separated from "ready to drink" is important.

ben

Yes, 365 in long term storage is adequate if you have say, 365 in your Ready-to-Drink status. You probably aren't going to actually drink 365 even over a holiday weekend or a short vacation. Unless you enlist help, of course....
[;)]

musedir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/3/2016 5:21:44 AM)

I have come to discover that the line gets quite blurred between short-term and long-term storage... or the never ending desire to determine what defines "ready to drink."

PinotPhile -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/3/2016 9:38:26 PM)

The number of places where I store my collection recently increased. All at home. A 50-bottle cooler, 2 racks in 2 locations, upright storage for the screwcap wines, and part of a cabinet for overflow wines needing horizontal storage. DH is fine with the number of bottles and even supports an increase as I deem appropriate.

I am trying to inventory lower than at present, but it has become more of a challenge as the breadth of good vintners & varietals increases for me. I have approached 150 bottles recently. Not a good thing to me, but some key deals keep coming.

Ouch.

pclin -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/3/2016 9:43:19 PM)

I reduced holdings by more than 50 cases over the last 6 months, mostly sold off. More to go.

khmark7 -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/4/2016 4:23:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Net increase in 10 for me through the first half of 2016. However, did add 31 to my pending total so the real increase was 41, not 10.

Feeling quite comfortable in the moratorium, day 25. Am thinking there is a CHANCE that consumption will exceed purchases this year.

About even for purchases vs consumption so far this year, and my moratorium continues. Still trying to drop my cellar totals by 20% but it's a challenge when you don't drink all that much..[:o]

swade -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/4/2016 6:17:27 AM)

I just went over 1000 bottles. It took nine years to get here. I have enough storage for about 850 (comfortably). My original goal was 200-250 - to have wine around for guests. Then it became a hobby. Then it became a passion. I don't have any greater goals, if it grows more, then it is love.

Jenise -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/4/2016 10:32:53 AM)

Ha! I remember when I had 100 bottles and naively thought when I had 300 I'd have an answer to every need. Got to 300 and that wasn't enough. Got to 500 then and still never felt like I had the right wine to wear to an offline, but 800 should do it.

800 didn't do it, so 1000, then 1500 and so on. With only the size of my cellar imposing limits, I seem to have peaked at about 2000. Which is really too much--in spite of my Euro taste for age-worthy wines, too many of these wines need to be drunk sooner than later. So I've quit buying. No matter what it is, no matter how good! And since yesterday's Winebid auction closed at 6:00, I've now kept my promise for almost 17 hours. Pretty good, huh?

pclin -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/4/2016 11:03:45 AM)

Wow! 17 hours, like a champ! [:D]

Jenise -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/4/2016 11:13:05 AM)

Not much of a defense, but the purchase was Grand Cru burgs at Village wine prices. [sheepish look] My husband has already forgiven me....

mclancy10006 -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/6/2016 7:00:04 PM)

[image]http://www.markclancy.com/CTpics/cellarmilestones.jpg[/image]

schwank -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (7/7/2016 7:57:12 AM)

I was doing some CT cleanup last night and noticed that adding a few new bottles put me over 1500. In reality I am still slightly under that milestone due to some pending PC purchases that will never arrive, as I haven't pulled those off the list yet. Still, that's way more than I intended to have. But never enough! [:D]

I have been generally pretty good with purchases of late, at least for daily drinkers. But with all the 2015 futures coming out I have been buying tons of those as it is birthyear wine for my daughter. I bought fairly broadly into 2015 Bordeaux and have been adding some German and Austrian Rieslings as well. Luckily I still have some room in the cellar, with plenty of bottles entering good drinking windows.

BenNoir -> RE: Cellar Count Milestones (10/1/2016 2:09:11 PM)

We've reached the first day of the 4th quarter 2016. Time for the quarterly bottle count.
For the first time since keeping records, the size of my cellar has decreased.
[image]http://i.imgur.com/wc7KLwK.png[/image]

ben

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI