RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

YoDaddyO -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/9/2009 2:53:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

quote:

ORIGINAL: YoDaddyO

GTG...i bought 6 of the Finca...would love your thoughts

DaddyO - maybe we should arrange a quick virtual tasting thread on the Finca once we've all taken delivery.  There are 3 of us that I know of - me, you, and smahk.  There are probably others.  So far, each of these Cinderella deals has been fantastic, but you have to jump on them early...they have been selling out mid-morning...and this is a very new site.  Once it becomes well-known, it might be even tougher.

I think that would be great...

I'm usually up online at 11pm which is when they go on sale and i've been reviewing each one and matching against CT Notes and actual value...the Finca seemed to leap out as far as the first couple were concerned.

Let me know when you get yours...i'd like to let it sit a couple of days before i pop one...

I've been buying a lot lately with the plan of not opening anything for a couple of years but i think this would be fun.

tourette -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/9/2009 4:01:13 PM)

quote:

Anyone have an opinion on latest WTSO offering?

Chateau du Launay Bordeaux Superieur 2004 at $13?

CT reviews of the 2003 makes it sound very new world, high alcohol, lots of oak. Not my thing, but if you're into that style it seems like a fine deal. Then again, that could be more the vintage than the wine...

hankj -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/13/2009 7:04:50 PM)

okay not exactly smoking but 2005 Smith Haut Lafitte for $56 at Costco in Seattle.  CT average paid is $73.50.
Median of 19 CT reviews is 92 points, with experienced and prolific taster R. Jennings rating it twice (less favorably than the average each time).

There are also maybe 10 or 15 other "special" Bordeaux reds in the $15-$30 range on an end cap w/ the SHL.

Also Northstar Merlot for $25 bucks, not in the fancy wine bins but the stacked boxes with the more modest wines.  I can't remember if it was '04 or '05 but in general Northstar always make a completely presentable bottle of non-soda-poppy Merlot.  Didn't buy as I'm drinking 1/2 bottles of the '03 from Pete's Wineshop for $12 -- easy to kill one on a weeknight w/ dinner. 

mj -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/14/2009 8:48:56 AM)

Picked up a ton of '06 Fess Parker Ashley's this weekend at 20.99 a bottle.  Best price I've seen.  -mJ

pghgator -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/15/2009 11:42:22 AM)

Found a few good deals at ABC here in florida:

2004 Chateua Palmer for $84.99
2002 Dominus Estate  $93.49
2005 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon $67.99
2006 Numanthia Termanthia $169.99
2005 Chateau Haut-Bailley $84.99

GoodToGrape -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (10/29/2009 6:10:38 PM)

If you are into Messorio, there is a very compelling deal right now on Cinderellawine.com

$99 for 2005 Le Macchiole Bolgheri Messorio with free shipping.

ob2s -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/3/2009 10:00:52 AM)

From deevine wine dvw.com - Deals for Burgophiles.

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Lavaux St. Jacques" 1er Cru
$78                             Sale $18.00
Very strong reduction makes the nose impossible to accurately read though the mineral-driven and exceptionally fresh flavors possess the natural elegance and vibrancy of a classic Lavaut, all wrapped in a pure, precise and vibrant finish that delivers admirable length. Lovely balance and punch here on the dusty and linear finish. Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 89-91 Drink: 2012+
Comments: Outstanding!

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Combe Aux Moines" 1er Cru                     
$79.75                        Sale $18.00
Note: from 80+ year old vines
As one would reasonably expect, this is bigger and richer with a decidedly masculine character to the layered game-suffused dark berry fruit nose that leads to earthy and underbrush nuances on the powerful and solidly concentrated big-bodied flavors brimming with dry extract on the textured, precise and energetic finish. The only nit is that this seems, at least at present, to lack the depth I'm used to seeing here as these old vines rarely miss. Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 88-91 Drink: 2012+ 

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Champeaux" 1er Cru                           
$78                             Sale $15.00
A mild touch of reduction can't completely hide the dark berry fruit and hints of underbrush and game that continue onto the richer, fuller and finer medium-bodied flavors that possess an attractively textured, round and supple mouth feel on the lovely, balanced and nicely energetic finish. Good if not truly special quality here.  Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 88-90 Drink: 2012+

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin Villages                                        
$46.75                        Sale $10.00
This is a clear step up in overall depth with its earthy red berry fruit aromas leading to fresh middle weight flavors that carry a bit more volume on the textured round and more serious finish that offers good balance. Interestingly, even though this definitely has more flavor interest, it's not necessarily any finer.  Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 86-88 Drink: 2011+

GoodToGrape -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/3/2009 6:10:05 PM)

Nice CdP deal on www.Cinderellawine.com right now.

$33 for this http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=110323 with free shipping for 3.  $100 gets you 3 bottles at your doorstep.

tourette -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/3/2009 7:57:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

Nice CdP deal on www.Cinderellawine.com right now.

$33 for this http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=110323 with free shipping for 3.  $100 gets you 3 bottles at your doorstep.

Reading the tasting notes, this sounds like a very modern style of CdP. Not my style so much, but a great deal to be sure. :)

SLIMES -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/6/2009 2:45:44 PM)

25% off 6 at Sainsbury's. lanson at under £17 etc. Think champagne and the fine wine in larger stores and you can get some very good deals.

brigcampbell -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/6/2009 6:32:45 PM)

Amazing Grapes has Rubicon Cask 2005 on sale for $36.95...  CT average is $58

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=509056

I've had the '03 and it was terrific.

YoDaddyO -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/9/2009 2:44:05 PM)

Have a question about a Bordeaux for you Bordeaux experts...

2001 Chateau Le Gay Pre-arrival $49.99

Any opinions on this one?

Blue Shorts -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/9/2009 2:53:39 PM)

A low score from R. Jennings is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/9/2009 4:10:45 PM)

quote:

Have a question about a Bordeaux for you Bordeaux experts...

2001 Chateau Le Gay Pre-arrival $49.99

Any opinions on this one?

Good Ol' Wine Exchange.  [:)]

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/9/2009 4:13:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

From deevine wine dvw.com - Deals for Burgophiles.

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Lavaux St. Jacques" 1er Cru
$78                             Sale $18.00
Very strong reduction makes the nose impossible to accurately read though the mineral-driven and exceptionally fresh flavors possess the natural elegance and vibrancy of a classic Lavaut, all wrapped in a pure, precise and vibrant finish that delivers admirable length. Lovely balance and punch here on the dusty and linear finish. Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 89-91 Drink: 2012+

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Combe Aux Moines" 1er Cru                     
$79.75                        Sale $18.00
Note: from 80+ year old vines
As one would reasonably expect, this is bigger and richer with a decidedly masculine character to the layered game-suffused dark berry fruit nose that leads to earthy and underbrush nuances on the powerful and solidly concentrated big-bodied flavors brimming with dry extract on the textured, precise and energetic finish. The only nit is that this seems, at least at present, to lack the depth I'm used to seeing here as these old vines rarely miss. Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 88-91 Drink: 2012+ 

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin "Champeaux" 1er Cru                           
$78                             Sale $15.00
A mild touch of reduction can't completely hide the dark berry fruit and hints of underbrush and game that continue onto the richer, fuller and finer medium-bodied flavors that possess an attractively textured, round and supple mouth feel on the lovely, balanced and nicely energetic finish. Good if not truly special quality here.  Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 88-90 Drink: 2012+

2006 Gevrey-Chambertin Villages                                        
$46.75                        Sale $10.00
This is a clear step up in overall depth with its earthy red berry fruit aromas leading to fresh middle weight flavors that carry a bit more volume on the textured round and more serious finish that offers good balance. Interestingly, even though this definitely has more flavor interest, it's not necessarily any finer.  Tasted: Jan 01, 2008
Score: 86-88 Drink: 2011+

Is this place legit?  Has anyone ever bought from them.  That's pretty insane pricing.

MindMuse -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/9/2009 4:41:39 PM)

I think ob2s buys rieslings from them. They specialize in German wines.
I tried registering on the site but never got the activation email.

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/10/2009 9:35:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

I think ob2s buys rieslings from them. They specialize in German wines.
I tried registering on the site but never got the activation email.

Check your Spam/Junk mail.  I found it in there.

MindMuse -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/10/2009 8:25:07 PM)

I did, for days. Finally emailed "Otto" on the site and it got taken care of promptly. But, um, too late to take advantage of the burg deals.

fingers -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/16/2009 3:50:56 PM)

I bit on four of these today:

http://www.wineblowout.com/store/product/10739/Vinoptima-2004-Gewurztraminer-Ormond-Reserve/

70% off is worth a shot

SLIMES -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (11/25/2009 12:56:03 AM)

Unbelivebaly this doesn't seem to have been mentioned but Morrisons have been doing Bollinger at £17.95 and Lanson at under £14. It's nearly finished and a lot of stores are sold out anyway.

gbm -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 7:13:28 AM)

For you Ridge fans:

DrinkTheGrapes.com is offering the 2005 Ridge Syrah Lytton West at 40% off.  That's $15.99 a bottle.  $0.99 from the "Under $15" thread, but worth the extra buck.  It only got 86 or 87 points from WS, but multiple CT users agree with me that this is a fantastic wine.

Hollowine -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 9:39:54 AM)

Wine Exchange (www.winex.com) Just put out some great pricing on aged Auslese and Gold Capsule Auslese

A special library release Riesling fest from the great Bert Simon...at 40-60% off!

So what do you do when you're ready to hang up your fermenters but have no family members interested in carrying on with the family wine business? SELL SELL SELL! Which, unfortunately, is what the great Bert Simon has had to do. We know from experience, having visited the estate a few times, that Bert's vineyards are some of the finest in the Saar valley. Both the Wurzberg and Herrenberg are precipitous, slate-covered behemoths that just look like they're ready to shrug off harvest workers and gladly watch them roll right down the hill into the river. They are imposing sites. But the wines they produce are anything but. Bert's always had a steady hand in the cellar; his are wines of balance and symmetry, built to go the long haul, and especially engaging in warmer years.

Which is exactly the point of today's offer. Bert is going about the process of liquidating (no pun intended) some stocks from his fabulous library, and we were only too willing to jump in and do our part for the Bert Simon Retirement Fund. What a list! Most of the heavy hitters here have been hand-selected by his importer, then re-tasted by us. There are no dogs, On the contrary, this is one of the most stirring German wine offerings we've sent, come to think of it.

Mind you, the original retail prices we are quoting below are the original prices on release. As some of you may know, there isn't a genre of white wine anywhere in the world that improves with age or lasts as long in the cellar as world-class German Riesling. People, these wines are just now beginning to hit their stride and have years (if not decades) ahead of them. All Bert did was age them to perfection for you and then throw a huge discount on top. We love it when that happens. Oh, and don't feel sorry for Bert, he'll still have plenty of great Riesling to drink after we're done...

fingers -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 9:54:13 AM)

why must you tickle me?

4 -  '99 Serrig Wurtzberg #12
2 -  '03 Serrig Wertzberg #3

Soon to be imprisoned at WCC

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 9:57:35 AM)

I was looking at this deal.  Which do you Germophiles recommend?  The basic 02 Auslese looks like it might be up my alley for only $20.

ob2s -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 10:23:17 AM)

quote:

www.winex.com
quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

I was looking at this deal.  Which do you Germophiles recommend?  The basic 02 Auslese looks like it might be up my alley for only $20.

That is a good one. Do yourself a favor and pick up at least one of the $30 goldcaps. I had his last vintage an 05 Auslese the other day, greatness.

ob2s -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 10:25:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm
For you Ridge fans:
DrinkTheGrapes.com is offering the 2005 Ridge Syrah Lytton West at 40% off.  That's $15.99 a bottle.  $0.99 from the "Under $15" thread, but worth the extra buck.  It only got 86 or 87 points from WS, but multiple CT users agree with me that this is a fantastic wine.

Winelibrary is pretty good price-wise, but I paid $30/ea in futures UG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks gbm I bought a case.

Hollowine -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 11:49:22 AM)

Better hurry Jeremy, they are selling out fast.

Fingers, I didn't grab any of the '99, but bought a mixed six of the 2003 including some GC. We will have to side by side a couple next time we meet.

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 11:54:37 AM)

PHUCK!!!

I had a cart full of stuff, switched to do something else for no more than 10 minutes and everything I had is now sold out

Hollowine -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 11:57:11 AM)

Jump in the car and get over there, maybe you can grab some before they clear the bins.

jhannah27 -> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers (12/2/2009 11:57:56 AM)

That's what I was thinking.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI