CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 2:49:35 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: smigdiggler

the source has asked that we keep there private for the time being. I feel that if we decide to continue working with them they will be comfortable with us and our project to communicate who they are, the vineyard name and possibly get a name vineyard designate on the label.

BTW - for the 2010 and beyond project, I just noticed a label of cabernet that didnt state the actual name of the vineyard, but did state that the wine was a "Single vineyard wine" so this may be a way to put a little more clarity on our Rutherford, single vineyard label.

Just a thought.

while still keeping THAT secret

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 121
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 3:08:27 PM   
RadoDejarmer

Are we supposed to keep the Rutherford source secret? I thought it had already been posted.

I understand on the spring mountain source. No problem.p

Me: Good night, Garrett.
My son: No. Not Garrett.
Me: Who are you then?
My son: Rado de Jarmer.
Me: ? Ok, goodnight Rado.
Rado didn't last very long.
Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 122
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 3:47:14 PM   
smigdiggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: RadoDejarmer

Are we supposed to keep the Rutherford source secret? I thought it had already been posted.

I has been posted, but I have a contract and a relationship with Andy B that I do not want to compromise. If you want to know what kind of a mess I could get into, take a look at the beating that Billo@ Rasa received when one vineyard got wind of where their fruit was going on the WA Barrel adoption thread. So lets let sleeping dogs lie. I will let folks know the source of the Spring Mtn fruit as soon as I am able.

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to RadoDejarmer)
Post #: 123
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 4:01:30 PM   
RadoDejarmer

Sleeping dogs can bite you in the arse if you wake them. Got it. 'tis a shame tho. Personal labels saying blank blank vineyard would be cool, but to be avoided if it threatens the source.

I haven't read thru the entire WA thread, so I missed any difficulties.

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

Post #: 124
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 4:28:20 PM   
smigdiggler

What you do with the wine as the final owner is beyond what I have control over.

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

Post #: 125
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 8:25:32 PM   
floydtp

quote:

quote:

I has been posted, but I have a contract and a relationship with Andy B that I do not want to compromise. If you want to know what kind of a mess I could get into, take a look at the beating that Billo@ Rasa received when one vineyard got wind of where their fruit was going on the WA Barrel adoption thread. So lets let sleeping dogs lie. I will let folks know the source of the Spring Mtn fruit as soon as I am able.

I personally think it is a shame that a vineyard owner objects to their fruit being included in a project on the basis that CellarTracker users are involved but then again, I am not in their shoes.

Post #: 126
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 8:32:32 PM   
smigdiggler

I believe it has more to do with the thought of the wine being sold to an end client for a less than desirable retail price. The thought from the source is that it devalues the wine and could compromise the overall value of the fruit. Therefore if the vineyard designate or growers name is not on the label, devaluation would not occur.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 127
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 6/21/2012 8:59:40 PM   
floydtp

quote:

I believe it has more to do with the thought of the wine being sold to an end client for a less than desirable retail price. The thought from the source is that it devalues the wine and could compromise the overall value of the fruit. Therefore if the vineyard designate or growers name is not on the label, devaluation would not occur.

Yeah, I get it from a purely business view, but still, I wouldn't want to alienate a group like this.

Post #: 128
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/1/2012 6:56:11 PM   
RadoDejarmer

I also understand that they want to protect the value of their fruit.

The barrel projects, while possibly not unique, must be rare in the wine world. While I agree that we are the "end client", simple wine buying consumer doesn't not really fit. We partner to buy fruit, buy barrels, and consult with a winemaker to produce and age the wine. This makes us more like a wine producer than a retail store customer or wine club member. The difference between the CT groups and other wine producers is that we choose to consume all of the wine that we produce.

I don't see how the wine that we produce can effect the value of X vineyard wine, when none of our wine reaches the market.

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 129
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/3/2012 12:45:06 AM   
geppetto

quote:

I also understand that they want to protect the value of their fruit.

The barrel projects, while possibly not unique, must be rare in the wine world. While I agree that we are the "end client", simple wine buying consumer doesn't not really fit. We partner to buy fruit, buy barrels, and consult with a winemaker to produce and age the wine. This makes us more like a wine producer than a retail store customer or wine club member. The difference between the CT groups and other wine producers is that we choose to consume all of the wine that we produce.

I don't see how the wine that we produce can effect the value of X vineyard wine, when none of our wine reaches the market.

I don't think Beckstoffer needs to worry about his market. If one of his clients chooses not to buy his grapes (and what choice do they really have), 10 more are lined up to grab their allotment. The reality is that a group I am involved with buys 30 tons from Beckstoffer's Rutherford plots, and we would by more if he would let us. If only we could get our hands on some of his To-Kalon... Andy can pick and choose who he sells to and we all pay pretty much the same per ton, whether the juice ends up in bottles that sell for $30 or $150.

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

Post #: 130
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/3/2012 1:07:04 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

Andy can pick and choose who he sells to and we all pay pretty much the same per ton, whether the juice ends up in bottles that sell for $30 or $150.

I'd like the CT Barrel project to remain one of those whom Andy B. sells to.
If keeping quiet on where the grapes/juice comes from is a stipulation - my lips are sealed.
Mum's the word.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 131
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 1:14:18 AM   
geppetto

Oh, I agree completely. The CT barrel project needs to play by the rules. I just think the charade that occurs (not just with the CT project) is humorous, because it suggests that the grape is the wine. Of course quality fruit is hugely important, but so is the winemaker, the barrel, the toasting, the blending and all other aspects that go into a quality product. Beckstoffer sells his GIII grapes to at least 20 different major wineries. I don't think Schrader, for example, is worried about, let's say, Stag's Leap accessing GIII grapes, even though the price difference is about $100 per bottle. This is the business that Beckstoffer is in and everybody knows it.

If the CT project loses their juice, I think the most likely cause is a year with low yields. AB has numerous contracts that are based on tonnage, so if yields are particularly low, the little guys are the ones that lose out.

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 132
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 1:55:23 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Am I alone in thinking that having 'your' grapes in the CT Barrel wine is rather an honor, and one that could in the long term increase a wineries reputation globally?

I hope the CT Barrel project becomes a permanent feature - personally I'm in it for the long haul.

Roll on 14th July!

L.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 133
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 4:30:27 AM   
annerk

An interesting anecdote...

I recently had a conversation with a winemaker who has a significant level of control over who gets the fruit from a rather famous vineyard in Washington State.

I told him about the custom crush project in Napa and how it had been extended to Walla Walla. He was extremely intrigued by the entire concept--not that it was a custom crush project (those are a dime a dozen) but how we all "met" online and how this has all played out over the past few years. He was very interested as this wasn't just a bunch of telecom or I/T gajillionaires trying to make a wine with "names" attached to impress their friends, but rather a group of normal folks looking to make a great QPR wine without hubris. He is a friend of Billo's and was intrigued as to how he was selected as the winemaker for a project with "partners" from all over the globe.

He is very interested in talking to us through Billo about using "his fruit" for next years project. He sees the benefit in that us CT'ers collectively have about 25,000 bottles of his wines in our cellars and it would be good "PR" and just general good will. It's a very organic approach to doing business, one that should allow him to see continued success. I'll get with Scott later this year and give him the details.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 134
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 4:44:00 AM   
S1

You deserve a glass!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 135
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 4:54:09 AM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

I recently had a conversation with a winemaker who has a significant level of control over who gets the fruit from a rather famous vineyard in Washington State.

I told him about the custom crush project in Napa and how it had been extended to Walla Walla. He was extremely intrigued by the entire concept--not that it was a custom crush project (those are a dime a dozen) but how we all "met" online and how this has all played out over the past few years. He was very interested as this wasn't just a bunch of telecom or I/T gajillionaires trying to make a wine with "names" attached to impress their friends, but rather a group of normal folks looking to make a great QPR wine without hubris. He is a friend of Billo's and was intrigued as to how he was selected as the winemaker for a project with "partners" from all over the globe.

He is very interested in talking to us through Billo about using "his fruit" for next years project. He sees the benefit in that us CT'ers collectively have about 25,000 bottles of his wines in our cellars and it would be good "PR" and just general good will. It's a very organic approach to doing business, one that should allow him to see continued success. I'll get with Scott later this year and give him the details.

This is very encouraging. It is nice to see a vineyard owner that sees the value in having their fruit showcased through a project like this to a group of enthusiasts. Cant speak for others but I am fairly certain that I will end up being very loyal to the producers (winemakers and vineyard owners) that are part of these projects. I could understand if a vineyard owner was hesitant to supply fruit if they didn't know or have confidence in the winemaker but to just object on the basis that they don't want their fruit to be a part of a project because of the resulting per bottle cost to the participants doesn't make much sense to me. I know QPR has been mentioned a number of times in connection with both projects but I have a feeling that QPR is not the primary motivator of the majority of the core participants. At least, for me, it is a nice bonus but my participation is more about being a part of the community and fellowship aspect of it.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 136
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 6:58:29 AM   
smigdiggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

Oh, I agree completely. The CT barrel project needs to play by the rules. I just think the charade that occurs (not just with the CT project) is humorous, because it suggests that the grape is the wine. Of course quality fruit is hugely important, but so is the winemaker, the barrel, the toasting, the blending and all other aspects that go into a quality product. Beckstoffer sells his GIII grapes to at least 20 different major wineries. I don't think Schrader, for example, is worried about, let's say, Stag's Leap accessing GIII grapes, even though the price difference is about $100 per bottle. This is the business that Beckstoffer is in and everybody knows it.

If the CT project loses their juice, I think the most likely cause is a year with low yields. AB has numerous contracts that are based on tonnage, so if yields are particularly low, the little guys are the ones that lose out.

Geppetto,

The AB contracts are based on rows of vines. (going from memory...We are in block B1B and we are contracted to take all the fruit from rows 17-20) We can request whatever farming practices we desire, within a certain limit. i.e. leaf pulling, thinning, etc. but when it comes time to pay the bill, its determined by tonnage. So if a lean year happened, as 2011 was. we wouldnt get shut out, we would just get less. Now if they don't allow us to sign a contract next year, then we are shut out.

BTW - if we are short and there are rows available, they try to sell on the spot, when the fruit is picked. at the point of harvest, tonnage is tonnage.

I didnt want the group to think they would get pushed out if things got lean, if we have a contract, we will get some fruit.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 137
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 7:19:18 AM   
Khamen

This is all very exciting but also very confusing for a limey.

Are we saying the vineyard is a secret or we're just not allowed to talk about it? I don't even know what vineyard we are talking about

And happy Down-With-The-Brits day to all of you over there in the colonies. How have the last couple hundred years been going for you out there?

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

Post #: 138
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 7:52:30 AM   
RadoDejarmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

I'd like the CT Barrel project to remain one of those whom Andy B. sells to.
If keeping quiet on where the grapes/juice comes from is a stipulation - my lips are sealed.
Mum's the word.

I agree 100%. What is in the bottle is the most important.

I am just trying to wrap my brain around the desire to either keep sites secret or not to sell to us at all.  Logically for me, the argument that it could devalue the fruit, just doesn't add up.

That being said, if you are trying to build a reputation for your vineyard(presumably so you can sell all your fruit or raise the price), then you don't want a large majority of your fruit detached from the market at large(and the critic's tasting glass). You would have to be a pretty small vineyard for the CT projects to make a significant dent.

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 139
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 7:55:40 AM   
RadoDejarmer

quote:

Wunderbar.  It is nice to know some are interested, instead of running away.  Would this be Rhone, Bordeaux, or either varietals?

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 140
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 7:56:40 AM   
RadoDejarmer

quote:

Geppetto,

The AB contracts are based on rows of vines. (going from memory...We are in block B1B and we are contracted to take all the fruit from rows 17-20) We can request whatever farming practices we desire, within a certain limit. i.e. leaf pulling, thinning, etc. but when it comes time to pay the bill, its determined by tonnage. So if a lean year happened, as 2011 was. we wouldnt get shut out, we would just get less. Now if they don't allow us to sign a contract next year, then we are shut out.

BTW - if we are short and there are rows available, they try to sell on the spot, when the fruit is picked. at the point of harvest, tonnage is tonnage.

I didnt want the group to think they would get pushed out if things got lean, if we have a contract, we will get some fruit.

Great to know!

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

Post #: 141
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 7/4/2012 8:41:54 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

... a friend of Billo's and was intrigued as to how he was selected as the winemaker for a project with "partners" from all over the globe.

Tell him I'm desparate to own some great West Coast wines, 6,000+ bottles of wine and just a single Napa representative!!!
Lot's of upside.

L.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 142
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 3:53:04 PM   
GalvezGuy

*bump*

Might be time for an update on the progress of the vineyards and fruit. Seems like we are 2-3 weeks away from harvest IIRC.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 143
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 4:18:50 PM   
smigdiggler

actually just got a reading from the mountain fruit today 21 brix, seeds beginning to brown slightly. tasting good, but need some more time in the sun....has a few weeks to go. will be checking on the GIII fruit this week as well.

Thanks for the Reminder GG. Second deposit payments are due by Oct. 1st.

Payments of $296.75 should be made out to Elde Vin LLC and mailed to Elde Vin LLC 22 Audubon Way Novato, Ca 94945.

If you're not sure whether you have a payment due, please PM me.

Cheers,
dave

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 144
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 4:47:32 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

actually just got a reading from the mountain fruit today 21 brix, seeds beginning to brown slightly. tasting good, but need some more time in the sun....has a few weeks to go. will be checking on the GIII fruit this week as well.

Thanks for the Reminder GG. Second deposit payments are due by Oct. 1st.

Payments of $296.75 should be made out to Elde Vin LLC and mailed to Elde Vin LLC 22 Audubon Way Novato, Ca 94945.

If you're not sure whether you have a payment due, please PM me.

Cheers,
dave

Dave I thought, and it was stated in the first part of this thread that Nov 1st 2012 was the due date. Am I the only one who thought this? I'm in for half, but I need to send a check to prasm asap if Oct. 1st is the required date. I had the check planned to be cut on Oct. 1st 2012 and then mailed by the bank. If things are different then I will try to get the check sent tomorrow.

This is a cut from post number 1.

Total price for the 3 case project is $1187.00
Deposit Due by June 15th - $593.50
Second Payment due by Nov 1, 2012 - $296.75
Final Payment due by March 1, 2013 - $296.75

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 9/12/2012 4:49:02 PM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 145
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 7:08:24 PM   
smigdiggler

You're right, we were late this season getting the contract finalized. My bad the OP is updated to reflect nov 1

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 146
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 7:17:15 PM   
S1

thanks
I wasn't panicked but I wasn't prepared

Hang in there on the other thing.

Post #: 147
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 8:43:03 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

thanks
I wasn't panicked but I wasn't prepared

Hang in there on the other thing.

That's were I was at. As it seems to be the season to grab up on reduced priced wines. Treasury event is coming, I am sure there is more besides JJB, PA state store, Gary's(NJ) just finished there 25% off sale. Not to mention the big road trip. Hoping an outcome unlike "Deliverance," when traversing the Appalachians.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 148
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 9:15:49 PM   
smigdiggler

sorry everyone about the quick trigger. The contract was October but I gave you guys an extra month since we started so late. Well atleast I got everyones attention I wonder what I will get in my SS bag if I get one of you guys as my SS.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 149
RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE - 9/12/2012 9:49:55 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

sorry everyone about the quick trigger. The contract was October but I gave you guys an extra month since we started so late. Well atleast I got everyones attention I wonder what I will get in my SS bag if I get one of you guys as my SS.

We will have to do thorough research on ancient healing recipes for liver issues as long as it doesn't consist of Rhino horn or Tiger parts. I know some people in China town that would ship. Either that or a low ABV dessert wine, that you can will to your smiglets to drink once they hit 21, like a BA riesling or SGN Pinot Gris from Alsace. Something that is tasty but not so hard on the liver. Tokaji, can be opened and have just a small <2oz. pour per day and it will go for weeks in the refrigerator without the need for Argon gas. I am sure the same goes for the other low ABV dessert wines as well.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: ADOPT A BARREL 2012 VINTAGE Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI