CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/8/2014 3:27:28 PM   
ericindc

I dunno Berg, I feel like I would just enabling your habit if I tell you. lol.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to atkinson_b2)
Post #: 91
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/8/2014 4:12:11 PM   
S1

BurgBerg needs to EARN that information

We have (probably) added local WBer Charles Fuss to the cast of characters

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 92
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/8/2014 5:38:05 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Sounds like iit's gonna be a good time in the Lowlands.

You and Dr M should join us!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 93
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/8/2014 10:09:13 PM   
atkinson_b2

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

BurgBerg needs to EARN that information

We have (probably) added local WBer Charles Fuss to the cast of characters

I actually realized that I had already signed up for them back during Charleston II, at your recommendation I just haven't been getting any emails from them for some reason, but that has now been rectified!

WineBerg - CT
WB: Berg Atkinson

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 94
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/8/2014 10:27:42 PM   
ericindc

I was gonna joke about you getting the 1918 Cosson Clos du Lambrays. I did a quick search and found that Lambrays wasnt sold to the Cosson family until 1938. But I found another '35 Cosson Lambrays online. Weird. I may have to call Greg at EFW tomorrow to ask about the discrepancy.

-Eric

Post #: 95
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 4/28/2014 9:08:23 AM   
DoubleD1969

The mag of 2004 Pur Sang arrived last week. I should still be able to work a trade for some Marcassin chards for the new world fans.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 96
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 5/3/2014 5:02:52 AM   
S1

OP updated with more declared wines.
I need to hear from the rest of you.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 97
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 5/5/2014 6:18:25 PM   
caeleric

just saw FIG in chas won a James beard award for excellence in wine program. y'all hit that one up for any chas offlines yet?

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 98
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 5/9/2014 10:16:58 AM   
ericindc

Two options for the afternoon tastings. I can bring.

2 x 1996 Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose

or

2 x 2001 2001 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg

-Eric

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 99
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 5/9/2014 2:23:43 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

Two options for the afternoon tastings. I can bring.

2 x 1996 Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose

or

2 x 2001 2001 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg

and

Eric--look at the OP and stew about what you want to bring, although things are filling nicely.

Chris--FIG is probably my favorite spot in Chas but they don't have a private room, or even an separated area for us.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 100
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 7:43:31 AM   
S1

CHECK THE ORIGINAL POST FOR DECLARED WINES!!
Who has made reservations at the inn? If most people are staying elsewhere I will need to find a place to hold afternoon tastings.

I need people to get serious and declare wines.

I need numbers for Thursday so I can talk to chef Ben. If the number does not grow we will not need 2 bottles of each.
People who want to attend on Thu but do not have access to Burg will need to step up their game IN A BIG WAY for the other sessions and need to declare accordingly ASAP. All of the declared wines for Thu are WAY above $100 each.
quote:

BURGUNDY THURSDAY--Wines declared so far
S1/HRH
atkinson_b1/TW
mclancy10006/TW
PSirah Tampa/TW
mc2wines(squared)
ericindc/Hellowine

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 101
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 12:50:39 PM   
atkinson_b2

Got my room at the inn a while ago, and think I've declared all of my wine at this point too (except for any random additional surprise bottles!)

It looks like we need more declarations for all the sessions, especially the two afternoon ones...and for the dinners, no way does 10 bottles cover 23 people for Steak and Syrah, nor 12 bottles for 23 at Circa either. I'd rather have too much wine than not enough I'm going to end up bringing like 2 cases...

WineBerg - CT

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 102
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 1:37:52 PM   
ericindc

I wasnt sure what people would want for the afternoons:

I can bring either:

2 x 1996 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Millésimé Rosé

or
2 x 2001 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg

The hermitage blanc isn't really "up to snuff", price-wise. Hermitage blanc is a weird animal where aged versions are either $50-80 or $300+.
I've been pretty confounded trying to find a mature white that isn't chardonnay at the >$100 price point.

-Eric

Post #: 103
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 3:20:21 PM   
champagneinhand

I will be bringing a 750ml bottle of 1995 Domaine Weinbach Tokay Pinot Gris SGN Quintessence d'Or. Small 2oz pours are plenty for this dessert wine. I was thinking it would wrap up Burgundy Thursday nicely, or even Steak and Syrah. Fairly low ABV and loads of great smells and tastes. Good for digestion of food, and goes with any dessert that we might have. Another option is Zind-Humbrecht Clos Jebsal from the same year. If you haven't had these Alsacian beauties, then you are in for a treat.

I'll look at the original pst to see where we need some filling in.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 6/12/2014 4:12:26 AM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 104
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 3:46:47 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

I can bring either:

or

The hermitage blanc isn't really "up to snuff", price-wise. Hermitage blanc is a weird animal where aged versions are either $50-80 or $300+.
I've been pretty confounded trying to find a mature white that isn't chardonnay at the >$100 price point.

I think Hermitage Blanc is fine. I have the same thoughts on Hermitage rouge from 2003 or 2010. Under $75 per bottle, and if we are going to be stuck on price points then we may see some sessions without enough wine. Frankly, I am at a mental impasse as what to do. many things seem to be going on at my homestead, requiring time and resources.

So maybe we have to lower the threshold just a bit to fill in some wines. Its easy to finds $100+ wines these days but older vintages weren't priced so insanely.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 105
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 4:16:33 PM   
mc2 wines

We are declared on our official bottles. We are definitely in for Thursday and we are booked at the Inn although open to switching locations if most ppl don't want to stay there (we're not wedded to the place).

For the unofficial I don't honestly know. I imagine we'll prob bring along a few, but not sure that they will be the same level as the other stuff (or the same 2x quantity if they are nice ones).

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

quote:

I can bring either:

or

I think Hermitage Blanc is fine. I have the same thoughts on Hermitage rouge from 2003 or 2010. Under $75 per bottle, and if we are going to be stuck on price points then we may see some sessions without enough wine. Frankly, I am at a mental impasse as what to do. many things seem to be going on at my homestead, requiring time and resources.

So maybe we have to lower the threshold just a bit to fill in some wines. Its easy to finds $100+ wines these days but older vintages weren't priced so insanely.

I was going to vote champers. The way we've been going we could have one of the days be a champagne tasting which would be pretty fun.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 106
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/11/2014 4:16:38 PM   
S1

quote:

So maybe we have to lower the threshold just a bit to fill in some wines.

NO NO NO

Here are declared whites/Champers/desserts
1990 and/or 1993 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Champagne--PSirah Tampa
NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Rosé x 2--mc2wines
2007 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet (Magnum)--atkinson_b1
2005 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bourgogne Blanc (Musigny Blanc) x 2--S1
2008 Dauvissat-Camus Chablis Les Clos x 2--atkinson_b1
1995 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut x 2--atkinson_b1/champagneinhand tag team
1983 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Burgberg Riesling Auslese x 2--S1/S2 tag team
2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Pur Sang (Magnum)--DoubleD1969
2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex x 2--mindmuse
2008 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux x 2--S1 (in reserve in case we need them here or at Circa
1976 Mantlerhof Kremstal Grüner Veltliner Spätlese Spiegel x 2--S1
1996 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon x 2--champagneinhand
1980 Château d'Yquem x 2--mc2wines

The rules are clear. The last two years we had too much wine; let's keep the quality up even if the quantity drops.

Lopez de Heredia Blanco?
Top tier Austrian?
Bordeaux Blanc? Laville-Haut-Brion Blanc?
2006 Guigal Hermitage Ex Voto Blanc?

< Message edited by S1 -- 6/11/2014 4:53:50 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 3:43:53 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

So maybe we have to lower the threshold just a bit to fill in some wines.

NO NO NO

Here are declared whites/Champers/desserts
1990 and/or 1993 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Champagne--PSirah Tampa
NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Rosé x 2--mc2wines
2007 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet (Magnum)--atkinson_b1
2005 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bourgogne Blanc (Musigny Blanc) x 2--S1
2008 Dauvissat-Camus Chablis Les Clos x 2--atkinson_b1
1995 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut x 2--atkinson_b1/champagneinhand tag team
1983 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Burgberg Riesling Auslese x 2--S1/S2 tag team
2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Pur Sang (Magnum)--DoubleD1969
2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex x 2--mindmuse
2008 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux x 2--S1 (in reserve in case we need them here or at Circa
1976 Mantlerhof Kremstal Grüner Veltliner Spätlese Spiegel x 2--S1
1996 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon x 2--champagneinhand
1980 Château d'Yquem x 2--mc2wines

The rules are clear. The last two years we had too much wine; let's keep the quality up even if the quantity drops.
I don't think this is physically possible and quality doesn't have to drop, as I will give some examples;

Lopez de Heredia Blanco?
Top tier Austrian?
Bordeaux Blanc? Laville-Haut-Brion Blanc?
2006 Guigal Hermitage Ex Voto Blanc?

Okay so the white group looks fine, but what about Steak and Syrah/Shiraz. That price point rules out wines like Amon-Ra, Greenock creek Alice's or Apricot block, Amery Kay Brothers Block 6 and much more. All of the above wines are rated by critics in the 95-100 point range. I have 2008 Reynvaan In the Rocks, but not in the $$ range. Personally I like drinking different wines, and we do already have wines that have filled the pre-requisite $$ figure.
I have found 2006 Glaetzer Amon-Ra for that threshold price of $100 and 2006 Clarendon Hills Astralis Syrah at $140. I still think they are incredibly young and the Block 6 and the Greenock are just as good of wines as are the Heritage options, but....

I understand that we want the absolute best stuff that we can have show up, but to exclude wines that are rated so high sees foolish, and that's my take. We would have to exclude younger ports like 2003 Taylor-Flagate or Fonseca as they are not in the $100+ I think we aren't reducing quality but making sure we have the quality and the quantity to ensure we all get great drink and great wine.

Perhaps I am not liking the wording of some points in this thread. The spot on if we aren't bringing Burgundy to BT then we need to massively step up.... I get that Burgundy is the cat's meow and that some people have been very generous bring wines that are way above the $100+ mark. I am not bringing Burgundy this year, as the 2 bottle format makes this a very difficult thing to do. I am bring Champagnes that cross the $300, and in years past I have always brought wine that passed into 4 digits. This is just getting a bit persnickety and again seems like we are biting off a nose to spite the face. This rule actually takes 2005 Leoville Poyferre off the table and that is an amazing wine. Same goes for older Gruaud-Larose, yet these are proven winners.

I also don't like pulling wines out before they are drink in their prime windows. Having said that I do have a 2005 Clos du Papes that I would pair up with if anybody has a second bottle. I also have a single 2007 Staglin 25th anniversary cab, or 2007 Chappellet Pritchard Hill cab, if somebody wants to match.

Now I apologize in advance, if my frustration is showing through, but we have spots that need filling. We have had past years where some people filled in a lot more wine, but its June and sourcing anything extra is going to be difficult. If I can get my gads on another 375ml split of 1989 Huet cuvee constance, then we could put that into the lineup as it doesn't have to be dessert, it could be aperitif. I am all for drinking champagne all day long too, but I really don't want to drink 2002 when I would like to see them age for mother 10+ years, not to mention that Bollinger GA and Pol Roger Reserve from 2002 barely cross the threshold $$ requirement. I can easily put out a pair of 1998 Le Grand Dame, though I think they could use some more time, or we could go 1998 Pol Roger SWC, but again its baby killing in my book.

At this point we are failing to see the forest because of the trees.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 6/12/2014 4:03:17 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 108
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 4:19:56 AM   
S1

I am sorry if my wording seems harsh or offensive but after two years of "herding cats" to try to get wines declared I feel the need to be direct.
The +$100 threshold is the theme for the weekend. I personally don't care about a highly rated RMP wine. This is why I included suggested list of Syrah in the OP back in October, when shipping season was opening. Right now we are 10 bottles of Syrah for 20 people. Certainly a nice Champer or two would be an appropriate palate opener for that meal, possibly an appropriate Port for dessert.
I spend many, many hours dealing with the logistics of this event and prefer not to micromanage the quality of the wines. That is why a long-time board member suggested the $100 buy in. That way we don't have to begin judging the quality of a wine and having people question whether or not it belongs.
Let's stick to the original rules; I think we have fewer holes at this point than we have dealt with the last two years.

Post #: 109
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 8:03:16 AM   
DoubleD1969

I will probably miss the Burgundy night.

As for my other two bottles (in addition to the '04 Pur Sang), I can still bring the Marcassin chards or some aged Ports. Let me know what you guys prefer.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 110
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 8:17:34 AM   
drycab

S1...I feel your pain!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 111
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 8:55:00 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

I am sorry if my wording seems harsh or offensive but after two years of "herding cats" to try to get wines declared I feel the need to be direct.
The +$100 threshold is the theme for the weekend. I personally don't care about a highly rated RMP wine. This is why I included suggested list of Syrah in the OP back in October, when shipping season was opening. Right now we are 10 bottles of Syrah for 20 people. Certainly a nice Champer or two would be an appropriate palate opener for that meal, possibly an appropriate Port for dessert.
I spend many, many hours dealing with the logistics of this event and prefer not to micromanage the quality of the wines. That is why a long-time board member suggested the $100 buy in. That way we don't have to begin judging the quality of a wine and having people question whether or not it belongs.
Let's stick to the original rules; I think we have fewer holes at this point than we have dealt with the last two years.

I was able to buy 2 bottles of 2006 Glaetzer Shiraz Amon-Ra Barossa Valley. They are just under the C note, and with a good decanting should be a very good pair of wines for the Steak and Syrah. If they are wanted, I will add them, If not I will keep them at home. 2006 are young wines.

I think the part that is the problem is most of this group is pretty young. Finding older Chapoutier La-La's is difficult and can be obscenely expensive. Then we have to have obtain 2 bottles of said wine. E. Guigal is just as bad for Cote-Rotie, unless you look at Brune et Blonde, which again usually comes in under the $100 or C note mark. Finding single vineyard Hermitage that has proper age and provenance is a problem. Those wines need year as well to come out right.

I can say that the Australian wines seem to age a bit faster. I have already met the burden of having 4 different bottles of well over $100, but I am feeling some drag.

I understand logistics is difficult. We also don't even know what the locals are bringing. So rather than get RULES, get me down or what I will just chill! When all is added up, said and done, then we will know what's up for sure.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 112
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 9:28:51 AM   
S1

quote:

I have already met the burden of having 4 different bottles of well over $100

Then you have already met the standard and don't need to bring more. 1 bottle per day per person is plenty for a wine tasting event (especially since there are some extra bottles coming). As I said, the last two years we had too much wine.

quote:

We also don't even know what the locals are bringing.

Check the OP.
S2 is only participating Fri and has declared; Jack's wines are declared bothfor an afternoon and a dinner.

Post #: 113
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 10:11:58 AM   
atkinson_b2

quote:

quote:

I have already met the burden of having 4 different bottles of well over $100

Then you have already met the standard and don't need to bring more. 1 bottle per day per person is plenty for a wine tasting event (especially since there are some extra bottles coming). As I said, the last two years we had too much wine.

quote:

We also don't even know what the locals are bringing.

Check the OP.
S2 is only participating Fri and has declared; Jack's wines are declared bothfor an afternoon and a dinner.

So you're saying I should bring less wine this year

WineBerg - CT

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 114
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 10:17:00 AM   
S1

Do you want me to post the pic of you outside Lucca?

Post #: 115
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 10:22:25 AM   
atkinson_b2

quote:

Do you want me to post the pic of you outside Lucca?

lol, I was a mess that night, but did get myself back together if you recall! High alcohol CA Cabs were not the best choice for the afternoon tasting before dinner

WineBerg - CT

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 116
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 10:54:40 AM   
drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: atkinson_b2

lol, I was a mess that night, but did get myself back together if you recall! High alcohol CA Cabs were not the best choice for the afternoon tasting before dinner

I seem to recall that it was a "Cult California Cabernet" tasting, right? Gee...Where would I expect to find high alcohol wines...

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

Post #: 117
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/12/2014 8:31:32 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

Apologies to all. Stressed filled days, and Scott is much like a brother, and at times brothers squabble. All is fine.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 6/13/2014 10:24:21 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 118
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/22/2014 6:01:26 PM   
PSirah Tampa

About 3 months to go- I'm practicing massive consumption daily.

I just gotta drink'um faster!

Post #: 119
RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III - 6/23/2014 6:39:04 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSirah Tampa

About 3 months to go- I'm practicing massive consumption daily.

excellent plan. Call if you need reinforcements!
Mark

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CHARLESTON OFFLINEORAMA III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI