CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my business

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my business Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 1:11:50 PM   
kcbrian

This thread has definately lost its "Schwerpunkt"

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 91
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 1:20:49 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Unless you personally know everyone in the chain of custody, there is a good chance, when you buy seafood, that you aren't getting what you think you're getting.

Lobster - monk fish. What's the difference?

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 92
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 3:50:02 PM   
Old Doug

When I lived in Nova Scotia (1990-1994), the uncle of a co-worker was a lobster fisherman, and both of those guys had stories about "the old days." Used to be, lobster was not considered fit to eat, and people fished for other creatures, the lobsters being cast upon the garden soil, to enrich it.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 93
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 4:23:21 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: hummus

The issues with JJ Buckley go far beyond them losing wines and having slow delivery times.

There has been a mass exodus of the quality staff that built the company in the 2007 >> 2012 timeframe, and with that staff, many long term relationships went out the door as well.

Furthermore, and has been mentioned, the quality of the offers has diminished substantially.
They are treading water.

This is a company that turned into a Bordeaux powerhouse in a pretty short amount of time, and now we are all watching the demise it appears just as quick.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Folks, obviously JJBuckley is having a lot of trouble with their systems right now.

I feel for GalvezGuy, as flat out losing a bunch of orders is a big problem. However, I also really don't want the CT Forum to become the place to come and complain about retailers (which has often been the case over the past decade with other wine forums). I really don't want to lock threads or forbid threads like this, but at a certain point the piling on is less helpful and starts to turn the forum into something it is really not intended to be.

Can we all please avoid a feeding frenzy until JJBuckley has clearly followed through and finished their work?

Are you in the wine business, or do you have a commercial interest here that would go beyond a normal customer of JJB?

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to hummus)
Post #: 94
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 5:05:51 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hummus

The issues with JJ Buckley go far beyond them losing wines and having slow delivery times.

There has been a mass exodus of the quality staff that built the company in the 2007 >> 2012 timeframe, and with that staff, many long term relationships went out the door as well.

Furthermore, and has been mentioned, the quality of the offers has diminished substantially.
They are treading water.

This is a company that turned into a Bordeaux powerhouse in a pretty short amount of time, and now we are all watching the demise it appears just as quick.

quote:

Folks, obviously JJBuckley is having a lot of trouble with their systems right now.

I feel for GalvezGuy, as flat out losing a bunch of orders is a big problem. However, I also really don't want the CT Forum to become the place to come and complain about retailers (which has often been the case over the past decade with other wine forums). I really don't want to lock threads or forbid threads like this, but at a certain point the piling on is less helpful and starts to turn the forum into something it is really not intended to be.

Can we all please avoid a feeding frenzy until JJBuckley has clearly followed through and finished their work?

Are you in the wine business, or do you have a commercial interest here that would go beyond a normal customer of JJB?

are you a former employee of JJB? Just curious.

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 1/29/2014 5:06:59 PM >

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 95
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 5:13:52 PM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

First time poster with an attitude has no business here. Especially when we've been politely asked to stand down.

This.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 96
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/29/2014 5:38:22 PM   
vinopkm

+1 these are Wine Related posts, I understand not pilling it on... But, I feel most of the post were relevant. It is Wine Buddies looking out for each other, helping people make an informed decision, even if biased.

I associate this thread to the Vinfolio fiasco.... Maybe not as bad...
https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=85965&mpage=2&key=vinfolio𕟙

quote:

ORIGINAL: markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryPrez

Eric, appreciate your perspective, but it is both comforting and helpful to learn that I'm not the only one who has been having issues with JJB.

I got two shipping emails for two six-packs on a single case worth of purchases too, for example, and am hoping that didn't trigger two more expensive charges than just a single case. No other way for me to know that unless someone posts it here. And I was also unaware that they were even going through a systems upgrade.

Apparently we cross-posted but this is pretty much what I meant. I find that kind of info valuable, too, and I'd hate to see it go away.

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 97
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/30/2014 6:54:03 AM   
hankj

quote:

quote:

First time poster with an attitude has no business here. Especially when we've been politely asked to stand down.

This.

Oh no you di'int - or did you just "this" yourself?!!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 98
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/30/2014 6:54:46 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

quote:

This.

Oh no you di'int - or did you just "this" yourself?!!

This.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 99
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/30/2014 6:57:16 AM   
hankj

I think what Eric is saying is complaint registered, natives have duly grumbled, now let's move on. Fair enough.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 100
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/30/2014 7:11:15 AM   
S1

I know I am guilty of bumping this thread but since Hank just bumped it, I join him in asking all to let this thread fade until we get more information. Right now, except for D's experience, everything is either speculation or a troll from a spammer. I don't think we are dealing with Carolina Wine here.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 101
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 1/30/2014 7:19:44 AM   
Eric

Correct. Let's wait for more information and until JJ Buckley says that everything should be working properly.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 102
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/8/2014 2:55:44 PM   
dase13

AngryPrez post on 1/23 perfectly summarized my thoughts too. It was an interesting (at best) post by JJB.

(in reply to AngryPrez)
Post #: 103
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/8/2014 3:01:06 PM   
dase13

I just saw Eric's 1/28 post and 1/30 post. I was reading chronologically.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 104
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/8/2014 4:55:25 PM   
msieurledocq

I went to the JJB office and picked up most of my pending wines. All the wines Chris said would be there were there. There are a few that were in storage that they couldn't access (he told me which ones those would be) and I have a couple still pending as pre-orders. But the headline is that I got my wines, and that might ease some people's minds.

< Message edited by msieurledocq -- 2/8/2014 4:56:38 PM >

(in reply to dase13)
Post #: 105
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/8/2014 5:28:03 PM   
rwilk_2000

Seems like JJB private client offers have really stepped up the last week or two. Maybe thinks are getting back to normal!

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to msieurledocq)
Post #: 106
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/10/2014 11:47:05 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwilk_2000

Seems like JJB private client offers have really stepped up the last week or two. Maybe thinks are getting back to normal!

Agreed. I've bit on a few.

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 107
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/10/2014 3:22:18 PM   
schwank

I too have noticed the private client offers have dramatically increased in frequency of late, however I am still playing it safe and holding off on additional purchases until I see how things progress. My 'bin end' bottles were shipped to me at a rate of over $4 each... which is far more than they have ever charged me previously and would change my purchasing math for sure. Then again I never looked to JJB for specifics, more like opportunistic purchases only.

Additional feedback is great... would love to hear more positive stories from folks as we start seeing their backlog decrease. Thanks for posting.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 108
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/20/2014 12:15:01 PM   
schwank

FYI, I spoke with Roland this morning and the word is that JJB will be running the 'final' data load into their systems in the next two weeks... I believe March 3rd he said. He is very hopeful this is the last monkeying around before they get back to normal... which means I am sure he will get a ton of followup 'please ship' notices.

Made my first JJB purchase in a while today... the 2001 grower Champagne. Here's hoping!

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 109
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/20/2014 12:37:01 PM   
gotfunk

I requested delivery of my 2010 Bordeaux futures a couple weeks ago. Received an incomplete shipment. Upon inquiring, I was told the missing bottles were in storage and they simply forgot to process them out. The rest of my order arrived a couple days later, at no charge to me.

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 110
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/21/2014 12:57:07 PM   
Bob in NC

quote:

ORIGINAL: schwank

FYI, I spoke with Roland this morning and the word is that JJB will be running the 'final' data load into their systems in the next two weeks... I believe March 3rd he said. He is very hopeful this is the last monkeying around before they get back to normal... which means I am sure he will get a ton of followup 'please ship' notices.

Made my first JJB purchase in a while today... the 2001 grower Champagne. Here's hoping!

I received a similar message from Cory. I'm sure they will be relieved when they are back to normal.

Bob

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 111
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/21/2014 1:21:08 PM   
joegish

I am still have been buying from JJB, have been for years and plan to continue to do so.

Whoever planned their data migration and system changeover should be looking for work elsewhere IMO. My personal business would be completely dead if I had this kind of transition. Must be painful for them.

Sure hope they get it together soon....

Life is too short to drink bad wine

(in reply to Bob in NC)
Post #: 112
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 2/21/2014 1:39:47 PM   
msieurledocq

Like I said, I got my wines in person (and am waiting on a handful of pre-arrivals) and I believe all is moving ahead with them. But I can't imagine how frustrated they must be when -- as far as I can tell -- their website hasn't been updated with new arrivals since November. Unless that's just my crappy browser.

< Message edited by msieurledocq -- 2/21/2014 1:40:19 PM >

(in reply to joegish)
Post #: 113
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 5/31/2014 11:30:00 PM   
CPP1

I've lurked around on various chat boards trying to gain additional wine education and insight for years, however, my most recent (poor) business experiences with JJ Buckley have finally motivated me to make a post. Talk about a company that is quickly taking a turn for the worse! We have all heard of the many nightmares that plagued the wine industry and dealer’s clients. However, recently, I, and several friends and colleagues, have had such negative experiences and difficulties with JJ Buckley that I feel obligated to warn others and share my experiences with the larger wine community.

I used to receive very good service at JJ Buckley until about one year ago. My personal account mangers were outstanding, then good, and, now, just abysmal. It seems as though there has been a large turnover and I have been assigned three different account managers this year! Each time, there is no communication between the old and new managers nor myself. I feel as though it is necessary to go through all of my pending wines and specific requests with the newly assigned manager primarily because the new JJ Buckley website still does not accurately depict my current or past orders. It is unbelievable how they do their record keeping and the new online system is unacceptable and god awful. Shockingly, I do not even think that they have the purchase section of the website up and running and I lack the confidence that purchased items would end up in my account!

My last several orders have been plagued with customer service issues. The first nightmare occurred when JJ Buckley held all of my wines captive, and in storage, for approximately 6 months, starting in December. They said that they were having problems with launching their new website and administrative systems. Finally, when I requested that my items in storage be shipped, several of my wines were "shorted", with an offer of credit or a refund. However, I had purchased these wines over a year earlier and many had gone up in value! Some of the cases that did become available did not include the wooden crates, despite being promised I would have original containers. This was just a frustrating nuisance but fit the new theme of inconsistency that I have experienced at JJ Buckley. I remain most upset about the missing wines, after all, they had held my money for over year and at what point did they realize that they were not going to fill the order?

Most recently, an associate of mine, who was a former client of JJ Buckley told me that they were missing several thousand dollars worth of his wines!!! I think they were trying to replace his pristine vintage wines "sourced" from secondary markets or in lesser condition?

This business seems to be a sinking ship. They have had like 3 or 4 CEOs and most of the sales representatives have just disappeared! I looked on their website to try and see who is in charge of this poorly run company, and there is some new CEO named Perrie Bernier that seems to have a history of restructuring (troubled?) companies and "offering value to his shareholders". Is JJ Buckley being sold? Are they going out of business? They would be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for this company. Maybe the new CEO should focus on offering better service to the clients, rather than attaining value on the dollar for the shareholders.

The only other person I see in management is some marketing director named Nathalie Tremblay who's bio seems to mainly emphasize her interest in singing and going to the gym! It does not appear that she specializes in wine at all and, perhaps, it remains a side project for her. Seems like the warehouse team has diminished as well.

Currently, I am most concerned about receiving some of my 2010 wine futures, many of which have received high ratings and have gone up in value. Will these wines be delivered? Or will they just offer me more credits and refunds? Will it be for what I paid or fair market value?

This business used to provide good service. With all the storage problems, missing wines and poor customer service, I am afraid JJBuckley is heading South. We have been patient and waited many months and it seems like there are still many problems. Do other believe there is reason for concern?

(in reply to msieurledocq)
Post #: 114
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 6/1/2014 12:29:41 AM   
champagneinhand

I love my JJ Buckley rep as he keeps all of the mess sorted out, but I to have been growing weary about why the website is so F#@ked up, not listing most of the wines I have on order, as in storage or on pre-order. This was supposed to have been done over a week long hiatus from business and shipping last Thanksgiving. Its June 1, 2014 right now and the site is still messed up.

I have been a die hard defender of letting a company that went through massive change get the house in order. I have been seeing some reasonable deals, and some "meh" deals as of late. Roland has kept me abreast of things, but I do not like having thousands of dollars in wine not showing up on the official website. This needs to be remedied quickly. They are in Oakland, the sit upon the top of Silicon Valley. How hard is it too get a software program done right that is moderately accurate. Roland has his own spreadsheet, which is truly diligent, but the people in charge, the new owners/administration, need to pull their collective heads out of their asses and get this right. I have to say many, many wine dollars this year have gone elsewhere because of a queasy fielding in my gut about the inaccuracy of the website.

Again I don't think we need a band wagon effect, but I have received exactly one of my 2010 Bordeaux. Malescot-St E. Cantemerle, Domaine de chevalier, loris et all was supposed to be in late april but i have no conformation or guess as to where it is at.

However to put things in proper perspective my 2007 E. Guigal La Turque, which I shelled out almost $273 for a bottle of was picked up by J2K this week. Upon opening the bottle, he said the capsule was missing its top, but no signs of leakage. Almost unacceptable that they didn't star this when I purchased it, as it is missing for only 2 possible reasons. 1 they thought it was leaking and needed proof positive or negative so they removed it, and marked it down about $40. or 2. they stored it improperly and thought they might have to get rid of it and pulled the top of the capsule off just to be sure. if the third option is just poor storage around sharp object is the case then, shame on the PA monopoly store and this will be my last purchase. Either way, I should have been informed prior to the purchase. I doubt I will age this as long as I wanted as I will always have a question of whether this was cooked, stored improperly...

I have never receive a wine from JJ Buckley that was attacked with a razor, without some kind of notice or compensation. In another order I placed this week a split 375ml cost $37 dollar for 2 day air. It was $10 more for 2, but their lame website didn't register that I might as well take both bottles if I was being reamed on shipping. Granted finding 1989 Huet cuvee constance in great condition is going to cost, but this just shows that everybody is screwed up, though my patience for JJB is wearing very thin and if roland wasn't my wine rep, I would certainly be gone.

Sorry Eric, but I have been a staunch supporter of JJB and there comes a time when frustration boils over. Nothing can be done of it now as its probably to warm to ship even by 2 day air, at least with the small splits I insisted that styrofoam be used and they wrap it up for the best protection since they are charging me for 3 lbs of weight on a split thats not even 16oz. Retailers, and wineries can drive one mad. Hopefully some management types from Quebec will read this and realize we have many choice as opposed to most Canadiens who are for to buy from the provincial monopoly, and/or have a storage site, just across the US border.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to CPP1)
Post #: 115
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 6/1/2014 7:20:13 AM   
slaughterer

I am only in the USA for a limited time each year, and I have only had two experiences with JBB. The only one worthy of re-narration is when I was visiting a cherished couple in Malibu and wanted to put together a super-pack of expensive Perrot-Minot wines to serve them alongside my dishes. I saw that JBB had--supposedly--just what I wanted online and put together a list. Check out was difficult as my cookies and home server are outside-USA. Nevertheless, I succeeded and paid. A week later, I got a message from JBB saying "out of stock" for every single wine I ordered (well over $1000 total). I am still fighting for my refund. It soured me totally on online ordering and JBB.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 116
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 6/26/2014 8:38:10 PM   
kidsmurf2000

I used to buy like crazy from JJB; great wine, great price, great service. I don't buy wine online much anymore, but the JJB site is just awful now; I can barely log in, as it keeps throwing up popups to confirm which state I live in (nothing funky on my end, just a regular internet connection in CA).

I have an order which is running two months late, and its finally actually showing up online (but not yet in storage).

I really hope they get things sorted out; it was a great place to shop. I'm going to ship the wine I have, then see how things settle.

But I can't believe JJB is still a going concern, as you need the patience of a saint to even login, let alone place an order.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 117
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 6/27/2014 5:58:41 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: kidsmurf2000

I used to buy like crazy from JJB; great wine, great price, great service. I don't buy wine online much anymore, but the JJB site is just awful now; I can barely log in, as it keeps throwing up popups to confirm which state I live in (nothing funky on my end, just a regular internet connection in CA).

Have to laugh - I just tried the website, and it instantly gave me the location popup, saying I was in California. Well, no, West Virginia, actually, so off the mark by a fair bit.

I too used to buy from Buckley like crazy, but they no longer ship to Georgia.... Sheesh.

(in reply to kidsmurf2000)
Post #: 118
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 9/30/2014 10:54:46 PM   
ytsai

I heard the old owner has bought the company back, anyone with insider info on this?

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 119
RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my busi... - 9/30/2014 11:41:14 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

I heard the old owner has bought the company back, anyone with insider info on this?

Yao, I can't formally post anything on the boards but if your former sales associate is still their give them a phone call or secured email. My guy said he would explain over the telephone because I was wondering about why the website and electronics are still not up to date. I was told some really great things were coming, but just not for the general public right now. I can say Yeigi, was named the interim Operating officer as they go through the newest transition, but I think kits fair to say the Quebec owners are not going to be in the picture. I would have to confirm the details but see a lot of the changes on linked in as I have most of the company in my connections, though I rarely use it, it updates me to changes in people status.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: JJ Buckley - Another Retailer that has lost my business Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI