CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Active Users

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Active Users Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 9:28:06 AM   
pjaines

Grafs,

Another crappy day here in cold, wet London - only another 12 hours until I have to get up again to come back into the office.

Boo!!!

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 31
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 9:38:16 AM   
grafstrb

Paul,

Being from the state of Minnesota, I know exactly the kind of weather you're talking about.  It'll all get better soon enough ... in a few months

I don't understand what the hell was going through settlers' minds when they reached the frozen-rock-solid soil of Minnesota and decided to stop there ... I just don't get it!  Moving to California was one of the best decisions I ever made ... waaaay better weather, and waaay better wine culture.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 32
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 9:41:31 AM   
pjaines

Grafs.

That is hilarious - I never thought of it like that.  Why the hell would they settle there?

Isn't it all families descended from the Swedish around there?    Maybe they missed the snow.

(Note: All my knowledge on Minnesota is based on the film Fargo).,

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 33
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 9:56:15 AM   
grafstrb

the film Fargo pretty-much sums-up rural Minnesota (MN) (about 95 % of MN is rural).  I'm a MN "city boy" ... grew-up about 15 minutes from downtown Minneapolis/St.Paul.  Worse yet, I don't hunt, fish, play hockey, or chew tobacco ... this would get my "MN card" taken-away in many circles!

yeah, there's a lot of Swedes in MN ... my father's family is Swedish ... my last name is "Grafstrom" ... very Swedish, in fact ... my grandfather was actually born in Sweden ... there's also a lot of Norwegians in the state ... there really isn't a difference, although Norwegians and Swedes will vehemently protest otherwise (I was adopted, and am actually 1/2 German & 1/2 Dutch, so I have an objective mind on this topic)

To think that those settlers could have just "toughed it out" another few months and reached California ... [sigh]

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 34
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 10:06:24 AM   
pjaines

Grafs, you really are a mixed bag!!!

I loved the accents in Fargo.  Do you talk like that?

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 35
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 10:08:37 AM   
J2K

Isn't Fargo in North Dakota?

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 36
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 10:21:19 AM   
NiklasW

I hear if you really go deep into the forests of Minnesota (or was it Montana), you'll find the Finns as well. When they found deep dark forests growing on frozen-rock-solid soils, and full of wolves and bears, they thought "ahh, home!"

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 37
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 10:22:01 AM   
grafstrb

Fargo is technically in North Dakota, right across the border from its "sister city," Morehead. 

the accents in Fargo were pretty much-spot on for rural Minnesotans, and even some city folk ... I don't really talk like that ... every once in a while something will slip from my mouth that undoubtedly marks me as Minnesotan ... usually a word with a "long "o"' ... like "know" pronounced as "knooough" ... I always laugh when I hear it coming from myself ... my cousin, Lindsay (also a city girl) has a serious MN accent ... I get a real kick outta talkin' with her ... probably my most commonly used "MN speak" is "yeahbut" ... as in,
"Hey Randy, I got a new shuvel yusterday ... werks like a charm."
"Yeahbut, have you tride that 5 horsepoouhwer snooughblooughwer? ... it shuure is daandy don'tchaknoough ... alot better thaan shouvelin fur hoouurs, fur shure."

I say "yeahbut" all the time ... I say it so much I don't even notice.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 38
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 10:24:33 AM   
grafstrb

Niklas,

yeah ... there's some Fins around, as well ... but (a tricky use of "yeahbut") for some reason it's mostly Norwegians and Swedes ... I guess the Finnish were smart enough to move-on past MN.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 39
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:23:01 AM   
jhannah27

Didn't the Mondavi's originally settle in Minnesota before Cesare moved them to Napa?  I recall something like that from "House of Mondavi"  

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 40
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:24:40 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

For the first time I wish I could hear CT.
(how do we get back to Cockney rhyming slang) ;)
No actually I prefer Scandinavian.
L.

< Message edited by Colonel Lawrence -- 11/10/2008 11:26:35 AM >

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 41
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:24:51 AM   
grafstrb

jhannah,

i don't know ... never heard that ... perhaps i'll look into this, for lack of anything better to do

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 42
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:29:46 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

We can help -
jhannah27, grafstrb, tjib13, Serge Birbrair, RoundersRob, DDL24, cgrimes, annerk, JohnNezlek
L.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 43
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:37:28 AM   
jhannah27

Hi Colonel.  Great idea on this thread by the way.

Grafs...yeah...Check this out. 

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 44
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:43:47 AM   
grafstrb

wow ... no schit!  Now I have something else to add to the [short] list of "whatever good came from MN?"

now that I think about it, grape growers are really just farmers ... and Minnesota is loaded with farmers ... perhaps there's other grape growers (I'm forgetting the technical term) who started out in MN, or Iowa, Illinois, North or South Dakota, Wisconsin, etc ... ?

thanks for the link, jhannah

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 45
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:45:30 AM   
grafstrb

Hi-ya, Colonel.

I really do think this is going to be the all-time greatest CT thread.  I can hardly imagine the mish-mash of topics this thread is sure to see over the years ... cheers.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 46
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:47:22 AM   
RoundersRob

I am confused.  What's this thread for and why haven't you all pegged me as a favorite taster so I move higher up the list.   

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 47
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 11:47:38 AM   
jhannah27

You are exactly right, Grafs.  Cesare was working out there on farms and when he had enough money he got himself and another family (if I remember correctly) and they came out here and started C Mondavi & Sons, which was their original "Jug wine" production company  in which they purchased all the cheap juice from local farmers in Napa, until they purchased Charles Krug later on.

Amazing what kind of crap sticks in your head....

< Message edited by jhannah27 -- 11/10/2008 11:48:11 AM >

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 48
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:16:41 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

I am confused.  What's this thread for and why haven't you all pegged me as a favorite taster so I move higher up the list.   

Rounders,
although I know your tongue is planted firmly in cheek, your suggestion has been duly noted ... never realized you drank that much CdP ... how did your TN's skirt beneath my radar for this long?  Thanks for your "subtle" suggestion

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 49
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:19:25 PM   
grafstrb

Rounders,

Have you had the '05 Reservee yet?  I'm waffling on whether I should pull the trigger at $80/per. 

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 50
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:21:10 PM   
fingers

Hey, you guys that are here.  Quick, go look at all the Aubert Chardonnay that winefool just posted. 
http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Notes&iUserOverride=0&T=1000
That guy drinks some great stuff.

What, 57 tags on you isn't enough Rob?

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 51
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:22:52 PM   
RoundersRob

I haven't had one yet.  I have a couple of bottles of that one which I actually paid more then $80 each for...  the 03 and 04 were great.  Pegau is quickly becoming my "1st growth" in CdP.  If you ever get a chance to try some of there more hard to get bottles, definitely don't hesitate.  The Cuvee Laurence is amazing and I will probably keel over in joy when I have a bottle of the 03 Da Capo.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 52
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:25:11 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Hey, you guys that are here.  Quick, go look at all the Aubert Chardonnay that winefool just posted. 
http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Notes&iUserOverride=0&T=1000
That guy drinks some great stuff.

What, 57 tags on you isn't enough Rob?

57?  That's pretty good I guess.....  :)

winefool has like 3800 notes.  That's a lot of notes.  I am hoping to hit 1000 before the end of this year.  I should be able to, especially if Jeremy and his wife come visit us before the end of the year.  That's good for a dozen wines right there.  :)

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 53
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:31:36 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

I should be able to, especially if Jeremy and his wife come visit us before the end of the year.  That's good for a dozen wines right there.  :)

I am still healing from my brother's wedding in Vegas.  I hope my liver can take it.

-- Jeremy

Post #: 54
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 12:35:51 PM   
grafstrb

thanks, Rounders.

I've only ever had one of Pegau's CdP's ... an '04 Reservee about a year ago.  I thought it was good, but likely shut-down ... it's bouquet and flavor seemed rather clipped.  I've read that the '04 is better than the '05, which is part of the reason i'm hesitant on the '05 ...

edit: thanks for the "favorite tasters" add, as well.  hopefully you find some of my TN's helpful ... if you find that they are not, please don't hesitate to remove me from your list ... i have removed a couple "favorite tasters" after realizing that most of their notes just weren't as helpful to me as I initially thought ... no love would be lost

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 11/10/2008 12:38:04 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 55
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 1:13:56 PM   
jhannah27

Holy cow!  Which Aubert Chard were you referring to, fingers?  Seems as though he had ALL OF THEM!

-- Jeremy

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 56
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 1:18:40 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

thanks, Rounders.

I've only ever had one of Pegau's CdP's ... an '04 Reservee about a year ago.  I thought it was good, but likely shut-down ... it's bouquet and flavor seemed rather clipped.  I've read that the '04 is better than the '05, which is part of the reason i'm hesitant on the '05 ...

edit: thanks for the "favorite tasters" add, as well.  hopefully you find some of my TN's helpful ... if you find that they are not, please don't hesitate to remove me from your list ... i have removed a couple "favorite tasters" after realizing that most of their notes just weren't as helpful to me as I initially thought ... no love would be lost

I like the style of the notes that you write.  I have removed a couple here and there as well.  I don't really like it when people just put down scores without notes all the time.  That's useless to me. 

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 57
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 1:27:46 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Holy cow!  Which Aubert Chard were you referring to, fingers?  Seems as though he had ALL OF THEM!

That's what I mean!  I noticed he moved on to the Pinot's.  Poor guy.  I should be so encumbered.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 58
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 1:32:46 PM   
J2K

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

thanks, Rounders.

I like the style of the notes that you write.  I have removed a couple here and there as well.  I don't really like it when people just put down scores without notes all the time.  That's useless to me. 

Or one like this........c'mon dude, put that in the "consumption notes"

2004 Bodegas Castaño Monastrell Yecla Hécula (Spain, Murcia, Yecla)  
Tasted by cj1 on 11/10/2008: Wine Club at our house (12 views)

< Message edited by J2K -- 11/10/2008 1:33:23 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: Active Users - 11/10/2008 1:34:07 PM   
RoundersRob

I see that a LOT.  most people don't really know the difference and it is easier with that big tasting note box that you get.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Active Users Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI