CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Bourbon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bourbon Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bourbon - 7/3/2015 3:37:31 AM   
Eddie

Kentucky bourbon inventory highest in 40 years

" What bourbon shortage? Kentucky distilleries now have nearly 5.7 million barrels (5,669,682, to be exact) of bourbon aging in warehouses, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association.

That's the most in 40 years. The most since 1975's 5.8 million, according to the KDA....."

The rest of the article may be read at the link.

(in reply to pdemaio)
Post #: 91
RE: Bourbon - 7/5/2015 9:05:12 PM   
BenNoir

Still have not found any WL Weller 12. But every time I search, I end up with more spirits.
Today I came home with a bottle of Angel's Envy - which I've had before and is pretty good, and a bottle of WhistlePig Rye.
The WhistlePig is my only 100% rye whiskey, and is kind of expensive at nearly $90/Bottle, but is pretty darn smooth for a Rye.

So there it sits in the liqueur cabinet, waiting for a Rye fan.

ben

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 92
RE: Bourbon - 7/23/2015 5:05:51 PM   
vinopkm

Was able to source a Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof for $89.99 from Mission Liquor in LA.
Killer price and I haven't seen it in stock lower anywhere else.

Ordered last night will have tomorrow.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 93
RE: Bourbon - 7/24/2015 8:12:48 AM   
BRR

I had a nice nipper of Angel's Envy last night - I'm really liking it for that price point.

Cheers!

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 94
RE: Bourbon - 10/20/2015 5:04:52 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

So, I've never posted in this thread... I'm a casual Jim Beam drinker, prefering that to Jack Daniels as an everyday American Whiskey, and about 10 years ago I had the fortune/misfortune to attend a wedding in Chicago where the groom was an advertising rep for Jim Beam and related brands, so all were poured generously at the reception. I started out with Bourbon and Coke, and by the end of the evening was drinking mostly straight Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve. I paid dearly the next day, and have been very bourbon shy since.

Fast forward to today. I'm visiting my hometown and after many years know wine is not a choice here when going out, beer is spotty, but some craft breweries are popping up, and some decent choices exist. Today I was sitting at a bar and noticed several caramel colored bottles behind the counter and after having a very good Double IPA from a brewery named Wolf Den, asked to see the beer list. Oh and what do you have in bourbon? Do you want to see our bourbon list? Sure. SEVENTY FIVE bourbons available by the pour! Holy Cow, I never expected this, especially considering the surroundings, but I knew I had to try one or two. I didn't have access to this forum, so I just guessed, and after realizing they would do three 1. ounce pours for price of higher priced bourbon of the three, that's what I did. From reading this thread again after the fact it seems I chose pretty well. I picked near the top, but not very top of the list, These were priced at $17, $15, $14, so I paid $17, and (of course) I preferred the lowest priced.

Belle Mead 9 Year Sherry Cask ***
Woodford Reserve Malt Classic **
E H Taylor Barrel Proof ****

*'s represent my order of preference. The E. H. Taylor was the first I sipped and immediately I wanted to marry it. Warm smooth delicious butterscotch and caramel with no edges at all. Coating the whole mouth, then body with warmth and goodness. The Woodford seemed too alcoholic, and tastes too much like the stuff that made me sick in Chicago. Belle Mead was excellent, complex and delicious, but just a smidge behind the E H Taylor in my book.

Sadly this is my last day near this place for a while, but now at least I know where I can sample another 72 bourbons on my next visits. I'll definitely seek out some of the E H Taylor for home consumption. I visited a local liquor store for curiosity and found all of these brand there (plus a few dozen others), but only the Belle Mead 9 yr Sherry available, $80 a fifth. I started to buy it, but since I'm flying tomorrow, I wasn't sure if it would be allowed.

What is the law on flying with distilled spirits in a wine check, or similar checked bag?

Anyway, I'll keep reading here, and keep sampling as a dip a big toe back into what once was my favorite hooch, and very likely could be again.

I wonder how you make bourbon?

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/20/2015 5:25:04 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 95
RE: Bourbon - 10/20/2015 5:19:32 PM   
Eddie

E. H. Taylor is good stuff. One of the few Bourbons that I actually like. It is impossible to buy here in the land where it is made, as the demand outstrips supply by a couple of orders of magnitude.

Try Blanton's if you haven't already.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 96
RE: Bourbon - 10/20/2015 5:32:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I know the liquor store I visited had Blanton's, I remember the thoroughbred on top.  I'm sure the restaurant had it too, but I didn't memorize the whole list.  For anyone travelling through East Tennessee/SW Virginia.  The restaurant was 620 State, on (duh) State Street, Bristol (Tennessee Side).  The liquor store was Parkway Liquors on (duh) Volunteer Parkway.    I am surprised at the availability but maybe that's what folks drink here, and there is a decent tourist trade with the Nascar and Country Music industries actually being the main local industry. 

One thing I noticed is that they (either place) didn't bother distinguishing between KY Bourbon and Whiskeys made in other states, I saw TN, VA, UT, NY, and they called them all bourbon.  I noticed the Belle Mead, made in or near Nashville, TN is labeled as Bourbon.  I thought US law prohibited that for anything not made in Kentucky, but maybe things have changed.   

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 97
RE: Bourbon - 10/20/2015 5:52:02 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside
The liquor store was Parkway Liquors on (duh) Volunteer Parkway.   

I drove through there 6 months ago on the way to Martinsville. I wish I'd known that Blanton's was available there, I drove pretty close to the store. You can't find Blanton's here to save your life.

Post #: 98
RE: Bourbon - 10/21/2015 2:05:28 AM   
recotte

Chris,

Welcome back to the dark side!

Bourbon can be produced anywhere within the US and still be called bourbon, so long as it meets the various other requirements (51+% corn, barrel aged, and 80+ proof are what immediately come to mind). As far as I know, there's no reason why you couldn't check it in your luggage.

I also like EH Taylor. Haven't had the other two you listed.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 99
RE: Bourbon - 10/26/2015 4:46:40 PM   
Eddie

We spent the weekend with a friend in Virginia who is a hard-core Bourbon collector. He poured me a great selection of Bourbons, including the Pappy 20...which wasn't the best in the lineup, by my palate. The best one I tasted is not, unfortunately, sold in the U.S. .... by virtue of the inventory having been bought out by a Japanese company some years ago.

It was the Blanton's Gold.

I left my tasting notes at his house. His wife has kindly promised to remit them to me by mail. I'll post reviews when I receive my notes.

(Edit, for clarity): Since these are single-barrel selections, labeled by barrel number and dump-date, quality may vary. $45 (!!) in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Embossed with a gold medallion proclaiming "For U.K. Market", or something to that effect. Perhaps a few might be available here in the gray market. Wine-Searcher shows nothing.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 10/26/2015 5:05:59 PM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 100
RE: Bourbon - 11/10/2015 10:27:02 PM   
vinopkm

So I have continued down the brown side... (sorry, that sounds bad). But I still have the bourbon bug bad. Still trying to track down some real Pappy, I may be in luck this December.

So new additions to the ever growing collection of Bourbon and American whiskey:
2015 Thomas Handy Sazerac (BTAC) -haven't cracked yet and my LWS sold me one for $99 -wine-searcher costs are $499
2015 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon -also haven't cracked yet, but did try in Scottsdale a month ago and damn tasty. Same LWS sold this to me for $99 -wine-searcher costs are $179 or more
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof -damn tasty barrel proof, just needs a little ice or water -less sweet than the Col. Taylor Barrel Proof. For ~$70 a good Barrel Proof, but the $35 Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof gives it a good run for the money. Slight edge to the Elijah Craig, but it is double the cost.
Parker Heritage 13yr Wheat Whiskey -most I ever spent on a bourbon or whiskey, $200 and not worth the price of admission. Good, but not great. Edit: with 3 months of age, this has improved greatly.
Michter's Barrel Strength Rye Whiskey -big Rye whiskey that is a little harsh- a good Manhattan mixer... buy an expensive Manhattan
Wild Turkey Rare Breed -not bad and an ok $35-$40 value whiskey. 112 proof, but I prefer the 107 Weller Antique for $5 less. A little harsh.

Rebuys:
Belle Meade 9 yr Sherry cask -now that Binny's in Chicago doesn't ship anymore and too hard to find in CA, maybe my last bottle. A great find at $70, haven't seen under $89 for a while.
Orphan Barrel Barterhouse -I like this a lot and tied with the Col Taylor Single Barrel for a good all around bourbon. Hard to find this in the $70 range anymore vs. the Col Taylor Single Barrel.
Col Taylor Single Barrel -Slight edge to this one as my favorite.

For the money and can't be beat for every day drink- Eagle Rare still sub $30 and then the Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 (I have heard there is some bottle variations in the market with the Knob Creek)

I think we need an Orange County Bourbon tasting... and a bunch of Uber drivers. HAHA.

< Message edited by vinopkm -- 2/1/2016 11:05:19 PM >

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 101
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 12:21:43 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

I've also been bitten by the Bourbon bug over the past year. All started when a bartender snuck a friend and I a pour of Elmer T Lee while we were drinking sherry (which I don't really like).

Breaks my heart to see that a bottle of Elmer T. Lee has shot up in price astronomically since then. Anyone know where to get it cheap? All I see on W-S is a place out east selling for $80.

This really awesome waiter at Blackbird in Chicago was telling me how Elmer and Blanton's are related, as I believe Mr. Lee worked for Blanton's before launching his own label, or so I understood, and I see Eddie pumping it up here so I'll look forward to trying that soon.

Bulleit has been very serviceable at bars and while out and about. Have a bachelor party coming up super bowl weekend and the guy is from Kentucky so a handle or two of this with a kind bottle or two would seem in order.

Was also gifted a more humble bottle of Jefferson's, which I believe retails around $40, and that's what I have here at home for now. I have a killer fridge but it makes crappy ice, guess I need a tray.

< Message edited by Robert Pavlovich -- 12/17/2015 12:22:58 AM >

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 102
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 2:50:36 AM   
Eddie

Blanton's is impossible to find locally (unless you want to pay 10X unit cost at a bar). All I've ever had has been sourced in other states.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 103
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 1:33:08 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

I have a killer fridge but it makes crappy ice, guess I need a tray.

My recommendation is ice spheres. They don't melt as quickly, so there's not as much dilution. And they look cool.

Mine are Death Star ice spheres. They're awesome.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 104
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 2:34:17 PM   
Hollowine

^ FTW

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 105
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 2:46:17 PM   
MindMuse

I use the spheres too, especially with those barrel proof drams. Don't have the death star ones though.

I do want to get some of the extra large (>2") cubes though for stuff like Booker's, which a good pour of can absorb a whole sphere and still kick like a mule.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 106
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 4:14:47 PM   
vinopkm

I have started buying Burgundy and you have start buying Bourbon... what is this world coming to.

Hi-Time Wine almost always has Blantons for $55 and rarely has the Elmer for $50. I found a shop at the OC Mix Mart off the 405 and Harbor that had Elmer for $45.

Bourbon has become a slippery slope with my buying/spending. And hunting for the Unicorns is fun- BTAC, Pappy and the other hard to find limited bourbons.

Both Elmer and Blanton's are Buffalo Trace brands, along with Col. Taylor.

quote:

I've also been bitten by the Bourbon bug over the past year. All started when a bartender snuck a friend and I a pour of Elmer T Lee while we were drinking sherry (which I don't really like).

Breaks my heart to see that a bottle of Elmer T. Lee has shot up in price astronomically since then. Anyone know where to get it cheap? All I see on W-S is a place out east selling for $80.

This really awesome waiter at Blackbird in Chicago was telling me how Elmer and Blanton's are related, as I believe Mr. Lee worked for Blanton's before launching his own label, or so I understood, and I see Eddie pumping it up here so I'll look forward to trying that soon.

Bulleit has been very serviceable at bars and while out and about. Have a bachelor party coming up super bowl weekend and the guy is from Kentucky so a handle or two of this with a kind bottle or two would seem in order.

Was also gifted a more humble bottle of Jefferson's, which I believe retails around $40, and that's what I have here at home for now. I have a killer fridge but it makes crappy ice, guess I need a tray.

< Message edited by vinopkm -- 12/17/2015 4:24:16 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 10:07:18 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte
quote:

I have a killer fridge but it makes crappy ice, guess I need a tray.

My recommendation is ice spheres. They don't melt as quickly, so there's not as much dilution. And they look cool.

Mine are Death Star ice spheres. They're awesome.

Thanks Eric, you've never steered me wrong ; )

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 108
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 10:09:12 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

I have started buying Burgundy and you have start buying Bourbon... what is this world coming to.

Hi-Time Wine almost always has Blantons for $55 and rarely has the Elmer for $50. I found a shop at the OC Mix Mart off the 405 and Harbor that had Elmer for $45.

Bourbon has become a slippery slope with my buying/spending. And hunting for the Unicorns is fun- BTAC, Pappy and the other hard to find limited bourbons.

quote:

Who am I going to sell my Paso wine to, now?

Almost makes me want to open a bar...

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 109
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 10:09:29 PM   
vinopkm

So won the right to a 12 yr (lot B) or a 10 yr (ORVW)... I like the higher strengthen bourbons and now a proud owner of another 10yr ORVW- tasty corn juice and I like the 107 proof.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 110
RE: Bourbon - 12/17/2015 10:11:06 PM   
vinopkm

Haha- Bruce is a big bourbon guy too. OC Poker for Bourbon??? That could get ugly.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who am I going to sell my Paso wine to, now?

Almost makes me want to open a bar...

Post #: 111
RE: Bourbon - 12/18/2015 6:11:37 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

So won the right to a 12 yr (lot B) or a 10 yr (ORVW)... I like the higher strengthen bourbons and now a proud owner of another 10yr ORVW- tasty corn juice and I like the 107 proof.

Nice. I scored a 12 yr this go around as well.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 112
RE: Bourbon - 12/18/2015 8:08:08 PM   
vinopkm

It was a tough call between the 10yr ORVW and the 12yr Lot B... I just like the higher proof. But, now kicking myself for not doing 12yr.
I still might have another shot at the 12yr and maybe a 15yr, fingers crossed.

I saw some guy on Wine Berserkers was trying to sell the 15yr for $700+, that is just effin insane and what is wrong with the bourbon world.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 113
RE: Bourbon - 12/19/2015 7:21:40 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Old Fashioned's tonight...Jefferson's Reserve, then Buffalo Trace (more oaky and more length), then a combination of the two (which I liked best), now the combo as a whiskey sour.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 114
RE: Bourbon - 12/21/2015 11:27:36 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

It was a tough call between the 10yr ORVW and the 12yr Lot B... I just like the higher proof. But, now kicking myself for not doing 12yr.
I still might have another shot at the 12yr and maybe a 15yr, fingers crossed.

I saw some guy on Wine Berserkers was trying to sell the 15yr for $700+, that is just effin insane and what is wrong with the bourbon world.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

And to think, I have used Pappy 15 yo in homemade Egg Nog and in homemade BBQ sauce!

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 115
RE: Bourbon - 12/22/2015 6:49:24 PM   
vinopkm

Just bought 2x Col. Taylor Barrel Proofs via Total Wine. $69.99 each

They were at the Las Vegas Summerland store, luckily I'm heading to Vegas with the GF's to visit her family. Killer deal and a steal!!! Ordered them for will call and will pick them up Xmas eve.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 116
RE: Bourbon - 2/1/2016 3:32:55 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

vinopkm may be the only other to try this Bourbon/whiskey, but I found it quite good at all levels. At the distillery, prices were $25 for a 375 of their TN White Whiskey, $45 for the Belle Meade Bourbon (my favorite of the day I think), and $80 for the Belle Meade 9 year Sherry. We also tasted a single barrel bottling that my wife and I didn't like as much as any of these.

We were in Tennessee last week, and visited the distillery in downtown Nashville. Nice tour and my first ever of a whiskey factory. (unless you count a million gallon per day former Hiram Walker plant, all corn spirits, where I worked a bit in the 2000's). This operation is still pretty small, I'd imagine it is dwarfed by most KY operations or the other Tennessee Whiskey house in Lynchburg. Nonetheless, interesting.

Their mill and mash tank, fermenters making beer.

Their one and only still.

Barrel used for the "Robertson County Process", aka, "Lincoln County Process", charcoal filtering that defines Tennessee Whiskey. I suspect some KY or other Bourbons do this too, but legally only TN Whiskey can do this in the State of TN and called it TN Whiskey. As I understood it, technically these are Bourbon's too, but some TN makers [**cough JacK cough **] refuse to use that designation and stick with TN whiskey.

Here are their sherry barrels used for finishing their highest end Bourbon, the 9 year Sherry. Each Sherry barrel hold 5 standard barrels.

Patrick, I don't think they will run out of the Sherry anytime soon, and since it is their signature whiskey (imo), I'm sure they will keep producing it.

The history of this place was interesting. DSP No. 5 means it was 5th licensed distiller in state of Tennessee. Jack Daniels was a bit later, No. 7. It was produced in Greenbrier, just north of Nashville, from ~1850's-1910, when prohibition (TN enacted sooner than the Feds) shut it down. Owners died, and it never reopened, until 2006, almost 100 years later, when Great Great Great Grandsons of the original owners, one sharing the name Charles Nelson with the original owner, rekindled the brand. Most of the their early released Bourbon was produced elsewhere, bought bulk under contract, and finished, bottled, and labeled here. Current production going into barrels won't be ready fro 4-6 years. The clear whiskey in the top photo is unaged, but is filtered, and is 5% of their current production.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/1/2016 4:08:48 PM >

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 117
RE: Bourbon - 2/1/2016 10:54:49 PM   
vinopkm

Chris, awesome post. The sherry is different and a good whiskey to throw in the mix/rotation. $80 is a great price, I haven't seen it sub $89 for the sherry finish in about a year. I think they were buying from MGP -huge bulk produce that is behind quite a few "craft" whiskey company... as far as the juice. MGP is known for producing good rye whiskey.

Post #: 118
RE: Bourbon - 3/25/2016 5:07:19 PM   
vinopkm

The Total Wine in Summerlin, NV has the Angels Envy Cask Strength for $179... in store or will call only.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 119
RE: Bourbon - 3/28/2016 8:32:51 AM   
BRR

I had a very nice glass of Jefferson Reserve last night. I really like it, but it's pushing the price threshold for me.

Cheers!

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bourbon Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI