CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/14/2012 10:53:58 AM   
thesternowl

The problem is, what water are you going to use to "open" up the Scotch? Tap? Not me. I'd rather drink blended whiskey The distilleries are likely using water from the same spring they use in the distilling process. While I agree that a drop or two of water is often recommended and can help soften the edges and enhance the character of the spirit, one should be careful to not use water from a dubious source...otherwise you're compromising the Scotch.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 91
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/14/2012 1:46:56 PM   
BRR

Agreed, thesternowl. Seattle's water isn't terrible for a large city, but it ain't going into my single malt!

Cheers!

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 92
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 10:54:46 AM   
recotte

Not sure how I didn't see this thread before! The list below is what I currently have (I should probably add them to CT). Most of these were posted back in November in the "I just drank" thread, following an evening of tasting every single one of them with a good friend, but I have added the Laphroaig 10-yr Cask Strength since then, based on a recommendation from grafstrb.

A very good recommendation, as it turns out, as I think it blows the doors off of the regular 'phroaig 10-yr.

I definitely have a preference for Islay, and I consider the Caol Ila 25-yr. to be the gem of my modest collection. Single malts for me are a "winter drink," and I don't typically touch them until the weather turns cold (and yes, I know this is a relative thing in Southern California).

Ardbeg - Airigh Nam Beist 1990 Limited Release
Auchentoshan - 21-yr.
Balvenie - 15-yr. Single Cask/Cask Strength
Bowmore - 17-yr.
Bruichladdich - 15-yr. Cask Strength - Gordon & MacPhail bottling
Bunnahabhaim - 18-yr.
Caol Ila - 25-yr. Cask Strength
Caol Ila - Signatory Vintage "Un-Chillfiltered Collection"
Dalwhinnie - 15-yr.
Lagavulin - 16-yr.
Laphroaig - 10-yr. Cask Strength
Mannochmore - 14-yr. Single Cask/Cask Strength - Signatory Vintage bottling
Springbank - 15-yr.
Strathisla - 12-yr.
The Arran Malt - Single Cask/Port Cask Finished

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 93
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:31:04 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

I just got an offer that is (kind of) hard to just auto-delete. Anyone had the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yet? Just a hunch, but seems squarely in my wheelhouse. At $50, it could easily be something I ask momma for as a stocking stuffer

Oddly enough drinking some right now - helps to dull my cold I have contracted! Most enjoyable, although I managed to buy a litre from duty free so it wasn't too expensive.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 94
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:32:31 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Glenlivet isn't peated at all. AFAIK, Macallan isn't, either.

Quite right. if you want peat look to Islay.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 95
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:36:53 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

The problem is, what water are you going to use to "open" up the Scotch? Tap? Not me. I'd rather drink blended whiskey The distilleries are likely using water from the same spring they use in the distilling process. While I agree that a drop or two of water is often recommended and can help soften the edges and enhance the character of the spirit, one should be careful to not use water from a dubious source...otherwise you're compromising the Scotch.

I use most any mineral water at hand, even Badoit seems passable. You only need a very small amount to enhance the aromatics and just take that slight edge of the drink.

Ice? Never, ever. Well, perhaps in Chivas Regal but never in a single malt.

Post #: 96
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:39:31 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Not sure how I didn't see this thread before! The list below is what I currently have (I should probably add them to CT). Most of these were posted back in November in the "I just drank" thread, following an evening of tasting every single one of them with a good friend, but I have added the Laphroaig 10-yr Cask Strength since then, based on a recommendation from grafstrb.

A very good recommendation, as it turns out, as I think it blows the doors off of the regular 'phroaig 10-yr.

I definitely have a preference for Islay, and I consider the Caol Ila 25-yr. to be the gem of my modest collection. Single malts for me are a "winter drink," and I don't typically touch them until the weather turns cold (and yes, I know this is a relative thing in Southern California).

Ardbeg - Airigh Nam Beist 1990 Limited Release
Auchentoshan - 21-yr.
Balvenie - 15-yr. Single Cask/Cask Strength
Bowmore - 17-yr.
Bruichladdich - 15-yr. Cask Strength - Gordon & MacPhail bottling
Bunnahabhaim - 18-yr.
Caol Ila - 25-yr. Cask Strength
Caol Ila - Signatory Vintage "Un-Chillfiltered Collection"
Dalwhinnie - 15-yr.
Lagavulin - 16-yr.
Laphroaig - 10-yr. Cask Strength
Mannochmore - 14-yr. Single Cask/Cask Strength - Signatory Vintage bottling
Springbank - 15-yr.
Strathisla - 12-yr.
The Arran Malt - Single Cask/Port Cask Finished

4 things, Eric:
1. Nice collection!
2. Glad you're enjoying the Laphroaig 10 yr. CS.
3. If you haven't opened that Bowmore 17, you might want to consider re-selling it. Bowmore doesn't make a 17yr. anymore, and unopened bottles are starting to fetch upwards of $100 on the secondary market; I can only assume the price will continue to rise as the supply continues to dwindle.
4. Mannochmore: very cool you have this one. At a recent SMWS tasting I went to, a Mannachmore was my favorite of the tasting --- I was going to buy a bottle of it after the tasting: it sold-out to the guy right in front of me in line. $@#!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 97
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:39:49 AM   
recotte

quote:

Yeah, I read an online article recently (I believe it may have been posted by vinopkm?) that recommended trying to get the same water used by the distillery. Because, you know, it's soooo easy to get water from a spring in Scotland. A spring that is probably jealously guarded by crazed Scotsmen.

Post #: 98
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 11:46:07 AM   
recotte

quote:

4 things, Eric:
1. Nice collection!
3. If you haven't opened that Bowmore 17, you might want to consider re-selling it. Bowmore doesn't make a 17yr. anymore, and unopened bottles are starting to fetch upwards of $100 on the secondary market; I can only assume the price will continue to rise as the supply continues to dwindle.
4. Mannochmore: very cool you have this one. At a recent SMWS tasting I went to, a Mannachmore was my favorite of the tasting --- I was going to buy a bottle of it after the tasting: it sold-out to the guy right in front of me in line. $@#!

On the Bowmore: Too late! It's open! Wouldn't sell it if it wasn't!

As for the Mannochmore, I'll gladly share mine with you when you're back Stateside. As I recall, I bought it on a bit of a whim, not having tasted it before. I don't regret it.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 99
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 12:19:47 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

4 things, Eric:
1. Nice collection!

On the Bowmore: Too late! It's open! Wouldn't sell it if it wasn't!

Also not a bad idea!

quote:

As for the Mannochmore, I'll gladly share mine with you when you're back Stateside. As I recall, I bought it on a bit of a whim, not having tasted it before. I don't regret it.

Very cool, man. Thanks. I'd never heard of Mannochmore before that SMWS tasting. Apparently, it's extremely difficult stuff to find.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 100
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:06:08 PM   
Eddie

Here, here. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are the Bee's Knees. Laphroaig at cask strength is Scotch as it was meant to be.

I must say, though, that Dalmore Cigar Malt has perhaps the best QPR. Great stuff at an affordable price.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to cjsavino)
Post #: 101
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:27:02 PM   
Eddie

quote:

Neat, with small glass of water and a spoon or better still an eye-dropper at hand, usually for about 2-4 drops per ounce. Unless it is cask strength whisky, then I think it is better to use substantially more water.

Favorites are the Islays, but also the Speysides.
Lagavulin 16 (if it were tea, it would be Lapsang Souchong)
Ardbeg Uigeadial (PEAT ATTACK!!)
Laphroaig 15
Caol Ila 18
tend to enjoy The Glenlivet lines most Speyside
Have a great Longmorn 15 cask strength
Also really like Highland Park's whiskys, which seems to combine Highland and island character.

I hope I run into you, somewhere, sometime. You have great Scotch sense.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 102
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:32:01 PM   
Eddie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

I just got an offer that is (kind of) hard to just auto-delete. Anyone had the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yet? Just a hunch, but seems squarely in my wheelhouse. At $50, it could easily be something I ask momma for as a stocking stuffer

Skip it, Tim. Very average. Seek out the Laphroaig 10 yr. *cask strength" instead. Thank me later. Seriously, man, do not waste your money on the Quarter Cask.

Ditto on that. Can't find it here, but we visited Britain this summer, and I bought a liter-bottle at the duty-free shop at Heathrow (and for a very modest price!!!!). If I'd known how good it was, I would have bought a couple more. Hard to resist that stuff.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 103
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:34:33 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: treetops

quote:

I use most any mineral water at hand, even Badoit seems passable. You only need a very small amount to enhance the aromatics and just take that slight edge of the drink.

Ice? Never, ever. Well, perhaps in Chivas Regal but never in a single malt.

Distilled water at room temperature is the best, if you can't get the water from the spring up at Sheep Pen Gap in the Smoky Mountains.

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 104
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:37:24 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

Very cool, man. Thanks. I'd never heard of Mannochmore before that SMWS tasting. Apparently, it's extremely difficult stuff to find.

Wasn't difficult for me! Apparently I was luckier than I knew when I stumbled upon it.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 105
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:47:41 PM   
grafstrb

Welcome to the forum, Eddie. I see you've wasted no time in chiming-in on two of my favorite threads on this board!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 106
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 1:58:08 PM   
Eddie

quote:

Welcome to the forum, Eddie. I see you've wasted no time in chiming-in on two of my favorite threads on this board!

I loved your sherry thread too. I'm a huge fan of fine sherry (something which, unfortunately, is almost impossible to find where I live) and wish I'd been there to share that ancient bottle with you.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 107
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 2:20:05 PM   
fingers

I've been lovin' the Balvenie "Doublewood" 12-yr over the last few months. Splendid aroma and so smooth.

I also have a Kilchoman Islay to break into someday. Anyone have a word on this?

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 108
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 2:36:01 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I've been lovin' the Balvenie "Doublewood" 12-yr over the last few months. Splendid aroma and so smooth.

I also have a Kilchoman Islay to break into someday. Anyone have a word on this?

It's friggen awesome. They are the newest distillery on Islay and their whiskey is very young (maybe 5 years old) but I think it's outstanding.

BTW, I tend to enjoy a lot of younger whiskeys. While it's nice to have 18, 21, 25+ year single malts from time to time, I've actually experienced considerable pleasure from well crafted, younger whiskeys in the 5-10 year range. They also tend to be a little more accessible too (from a price standpoint) and so it helps you save those 30 year Port Ellen's from being consumed too quickly!

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 109
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 2:39:09 PM   
jhannah27

A buddy of mine told me about a 20 yr Speyside Finished in Sherry Barrels being sold under the Kirkland label at Costco. He said it is surprisingly smooth and flavorful, and at $45, it's hard not to give it a shot.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 110
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 2:59:03 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

quote:

It's friggen awesome. They are the newest distillery on Islay and their whiskey is very young (maybe 5 years old) but I think it's outstanding.

My opinion is the opposite ... kinda. I think the Kilchomman whiskys are really good for how young they are, but I don't think they're worth buying. I'm looking forward to tasting Kilchomman's stuff when it's had a few more years in barrel. I think Kilchomman is kinda ripping people off selling all this young whisky at these expensive prices, but hey --- if the buyer likes it then I guess it's worth it. Me? I'm totally non-plussed for the time being.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 111
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/17/2012 10:15:45 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

quote:

quote:

My opinion is the opposite ... kinda. I think the Kilchomman whiskys are really good for how young they are, but I don't think they're worth buying. I'm looking forward to tasting Kilchomman's stuff when it's had a few more years in barrel. I think Kilchomman is kinda ripping people off selling all this young whisky at these expensive prices, but hey --- if the buyer likes it then I guess it's worth it. Me? I'm totally non-plussed for the time being.

Can you imagine the start-up costs of a distillery these days? Not to mention the cash flow issue in producing a product that won't be sold for years? Personally, I don't really blame them for selling their whiskey young, nor do I think it's unreasonable to charge a little more than normal when you consider the context. It's a good enough whiskey and their boldness alone should warrant a little latitude in my opinion.

< Message edited by thesternowl -- 12/17/2012 10:17:30 PM >

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 112
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 6:30:37 AM   
Eddie

quote:

Can you imagine the start-up costs of a distillery these days? Not to mention the cash flow issue in producing a product that won't be sold for years? Personally, I don't really blame them for selling their whiskey young, nor do I think it's unreasonable to charge a little more than normal when you consider the context. It's a good enough whiskey and their boldness alone should warrant a little latitude in my opinion.

New Bourbon distilleries are popping up here in Kentucky. The market for high-end Bourbons is booming, and there is a lot of optimism among producers.

Post #: 113
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 6:48:57 AM   
Wrighty

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe a lot of 'new' distilleries aren't new but distilleries the big boys used for their blends that they're turning into brands/single malts. They can claim the history but most of that history has been not been making single malts. Think Highland Park falls into that category but could be wrong.

Wrighty

Post #: 114
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 6:51:55 AM   
Wrighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrighty

I'm a single ice cube person myself, don't know why, just do it. Used to to a splash of water but it changed to ice.

Tend to buy the Jura and then Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Not to keen on those with TCP in them!

Had a Scotish friend in London whose father sent her obscure whiskies from the Whisky Society, each of which had to be consumed in specific ways; with water, neat, ice etc. Would love to sign up and get them to HK but doubt they ship out of Scotland.

Started reading the thread from the start and this made me laugh as the last three bottles I've bought have all be Islay whiskies (current favourite is Coal Ila) heading towards the peaty TCP notes! Just like wine, our palates change.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 115
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 7:01:21 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrighty

I believe a lot of 'new' distilleries aren't new but distilleries the big boys used for their blends that they're turning into brands/single malts. They can claim the history but most of that history has been not been making single malts. Think Highland Park falls into that category but could be wrong.

Wrighty

While this may be true in certain cases, it is not true for Kilchoman. They are actually a brand new distillery and that makes them pretty unusual; certainly on Islay.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 116
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 7:15:22 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

New Bourbon distilleries are popping up here in Kentucky. The market for high-end Bourbons is booming, and there is a lot of optimism among producers.

This is true. The revival of pre-prohibition, craft cocktails (which mostly call for Bourbon and Rye Whiskey) can be thanked for this phenomenon. Many, if not most, of the new distilleries are being built by existing Bourbon producers. They are investing over $190 million in new capital.

It ain't cheap. Particularly when Bourbon requires new oak! The Cooper Union can be thanked for that one!

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 117
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 12:38:27 PM   
Laminarman

Picture this:

I come off a wind blown and very cold, sleety Atlantic Salmon river in New Brunswick after a full day in the water. Fishless. Spent. I retire to the grand lodge and take a steaming hot shower and one of the guests, a Scotsman who flew in to fish, says "Come here young man, you need ta warm up." Wherein we go outside and he pumps and pumps the well until ice cold water gushes out. He places a glass beneath it and fills it with water and brings it inside. He dumps the water out and puts a couple fingers of Lagavulin in there and I'm hooked. I swear there wasn't more than a bit of residual water left in the glass and on the sides that trickled into the spirit, and I don't know if it was imagination or what, but it was goooooood. My votes are Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig with a wee splash of fresh spring water.

Post #: 118
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 1:14:49 PM   
outplaying

I agree with Laminarman and the others who have said Lagavulin (my personal fave) and Laphroig 10yr cask strngth with a tiny splash of water. Love the smokey, peaty, salty ocean breeze notes. Not for the faint of heart though. On the opposite end of the spectrum Dalwhinnie is nice.

Jeff Vaughan (outplaying)

(in reply to Laminarman)
Post #: 119
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/18/2012 2:19:18 PM   
Redrunners

We were in Scotland last year. My younger son did a semester abroad at the University of Edinburgh.
Over the two weeks we went to visit him, we covered a lot of territory, including out the isle of skye.
Beautiful country - highly recommend if you get a chance.

Also went to several of the distilleries. They have as much passion about making their single malt whiskey as any of the wine makers in Napa.

Every night tried at least one ore two new scotchs while we were there.

If you want to try a little smoke/peatiness - Oban is a good place to start.
Tried a number of the isle scotches (Caol Isla, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc.)
Probably my favorite is the Talisker from Skye. It has the smokey/peaty flavors but with the sweetness in the background from the sherry casks, plus a little saltiness from the sea air from being on the coast.

One of my favorites is the Dalwhinnie Distillers edition - very smooth. Much nicer than there regular version (but hard to find).
Got this one at the distillery.

One of my favorite drinks for a cold night in the Fall or Winter with a nice fire going in the fireplace.

Here is what I currently have - nice mixture depending on what I am in the mood for having. Have some from four of the five different whiskey regions - Speyside, Highlands, Lowlands, and Islay (and Isle - from Skye - actually considered part of the highlands). The only one I am missing currently is Campbeltown. Will have to find some Springbank or one of the others to try one of these days.

Cragganmore Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 Year (United Kingdom, Scotland, Speyside)
1990 Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition Single Malt (United Kingdom, Scotland)
Glenkinchie Single Malt Scotch 12 Year double matured (United Kingdom, Scotland, Lowlands)
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Òr, 46% Sauternes Cask, 12 Years Old (United Kingdom, Scotland, Highlands)
Macallan Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 Years Old (United Kingdom, Scotland, Craigellachie, Eastern Elchies)
Oban Single Malt Scotch Whisky 14 Year (United Kingdom, Scotland, Highlands)
Talisker Single Malt Scotch Whisky 10 Year (United Kingdom, Scotland, Highlands, Skye)
NV Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky 16 Year (United Kingdom, Scotland, Islay)

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to outplaying)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI