CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 12/24/2015 6:18:19 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Now I'm absolutely engrossed by the Pulizer Prize winning "All the Light We Cannot See"

I absolutely loved this book. Truly.

I don't frequently use the word "Beautiful" to describe a book, but the prose is indeed Beautiful. I am into the last 1/3 of the book and I find myself struggling between just wanting to lock myself in a room to finish it, and with limiting myself to a couple short chapters at a time.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 121
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 12/26/2015 12:15:40 PM   
lockestep

Just finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. Very good temporal displacement/scifi fantasy/ alternate history. Premise: what if some small percentage of people were reincarnated to relive their lives over and over while retaining their memories of past lives? And what if some of them started to change history by introducing technology early? Hint: good things do not happen when this occurs.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 122
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 12/28/2015 6:26:01 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

Just finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. Very good temporal displacement/scifi fantasy/ alternate history. Premise: what if some small percentage of people were reincarnated to relive their lives over and over while retaining their memories of past lives? And what if some of them started to change history by introducing technology early? Hint: good things do not happen when this occurs.

Hmmmm - that sounds interesting!

I'm reading Becoming Human by Eliza Green - the human race has destroyed the planet Earth, but they've found another planet that will work… so they take it over in spite of the race that all ready lives there… who aren't happy at all about the situation. So - shenanigans between the two races.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 123
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 12/30/2015 3:29:46 PM   
Slye

Just finished my first graphic novel -- Fun Home. Quite good. About a young girl/woman growing up in 70s in rural Pennsylvania -- her discovery of her own sexuality as a lesbian, and her father's hidden homosexuality. Very well done treatment of that complicated relationship -- but also nostalgic for those of us who grew up in the 70s -- references to the Brady Bunch; road runner; Watergate; etc. We are going to see the musical in NY based on the book in a month, thus we picked up the book.

Post #: 124
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/6/2016 8:31:30 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

I'm going to add this to my list of 'To Read' - I'm reading a preview of it and it sounds good!

I've just started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization. (from the Goodreads site)

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 125
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/19/2016 11:12:29 AM   
PinotPhile

Jonas Salk: A Life by Charlotte DeCroes Jacobs. Starting to read more biographies. For those interested in health care, especially public health. Long slog, but reads a bit like a novel. So much about the man I never realized. Well-done.

Post #: 126
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/19/2016 2:14:07 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

I've just started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization. (from the Goodreads site)

Just finished (two days ago) Case Histories by her. It seems like the parts were simple, but deftly woven together into a very pleasing, seamless whole, not long at 310 pages; was sorry when it was over.

Post #: 127
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/10/2016 11:39:35 PM   
PinotPhile

Old thread, new book finished.

Mike Veseth (Wine Economist Blog):

Money, Taste & Wine: It's Complicated (2015)

Short, interesting read.

Cheers!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 128
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/11/2016 7:24:42 AM   
cookiefiend

oooo - thanks for bumping this thread! I had forgotten!

I've finished:
The End of Alice by A.M. Homes (deeply disturbing tale of a pedophile)
Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 bodies and the Making of a Medical Examiner by Judy Melinek (tales of the coroners office - the human body is fascinating)
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (a nice tale of a man who owns a bookstore on a small island and finds the loves of his life)
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith (set in the 50's, a tale of a young woman who falls in love with another woman)
It Takes a Village To Kill Your Husband by Jethro Collins (silly froth set in LA - a fun quick read)
438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea by Jonathan Franklin (yowza - this is why I regard the sea/ocean with a great deal of trepidation)
Into the Darkest Corner buy Elizabeth Haynes (the aftermath of domestic abuse and what it can do to someone)
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (France in WW2 and the heroism of the women left behind)
After You by Jojo Moyes (follow up to Me Before You - didn't like it quite as much)
Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones is an idiot)
Unwind by Neal Shusterman (abortion is outlawed but to get around it, if you are unwanted at the age of 18 you can be 'harvested')

Currently reading:
Sophie's Choice by William Styron
The Country of Ice Cream Star by Sandra Newman - post apocalyptic, just started

Dawn

Aldous Huxley

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 129
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/11/2016 4:57:52 PM   
PinotPhile

Quite the bibliophile, sort of like me. I always have at least one book going...

Right now, the latest Elizabeth George, A Banquet Of Consequences.

The lady sure can write.

Cheers!

Post #: 130
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/12/2016 9:04:09 AM   
BRR

I'm a bit into, "This House of Sky" by Ivan Doig. His writing, to me, is so beautiful in its stark simplicity. It's as if he's from another time altogether, even though he only passed away relatively recently.

This is almost like a biography for his father, a ranch hand and homesteader in the wilds of Montana. If his writing wasn't so wonderful, I could see this turning into a boring account of another rough life, but it's so alive. He, along with Kent Haruf, capture the West like nobody can.

Cheers!

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 131
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/14/2016 4:57:26 PM   
charleshoward

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera. I've probably read it five times but I learn something every time. How this man has never won a Nobel Prize is a travesty. Goes great with a Maury or an Irish Whiskey.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 132
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/14/2016 5:04:18 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: charleshoward

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera. I've probably read it five times but I learn something every time. How this man has never won a Nobel Prize is a travesty. Goes great with a Maury or an Irish Whiskey.

It has been a long time since I read that. This makes me want to go back to it!

(in reply to charleshoward)
Post #: 133
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: charleshoward

It has been a long time since I read that. This makes me want to go back to it!

Been several years here as well, and I'm a fan of the Kundera I've read too, but the reading pile is too large for me to work him back in anytime soon. I need to finish All the Light We Cannot See first for my book club and then decide which of the other books/journals hanging out on my nightstand comes next.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 134
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/19/2016 9:33:38 PM   
PinotPhile

Just had to revive this thread.

I just finished Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls.

My goodness. What a writer. I had never read Hemingway before. Maybe one needs a certain level of, um, maturity to appreciate....

Cheers!

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 135
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/22/2016 1:28:37 PM   
arthrovine

Slave to the Vine: Confessions of a Vagabond Cellarhand By Darren Delmore

A nice read with some occasional exceptional writing and imagery stoking the imagination. I could almost feel the exhaustion the author experienced at harvest and bottling...

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 136
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/22/2016 4:24:26 PM   
cookiefiend

Currently reading 'The Deep' by Nick Cutter - it is freaking me out.
Scary as H E double LL

Dawn

Aldous Huxley

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 137
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/7/2016 1:27:15 AM   
Yossarian

Went to a fantastic evening last night - Don Delillo talking about Underworld and how he wrote it. It is a beast of a book and I remember it took me a long time to finish it 10 years ago. Might go back to it again.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 138
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/7/2016 4:03:32 AM   
musedir

I've gone back to an old format of serial publishing and am reading Stephen King's The Green Mile, a great film with Tom Hanks but an even better read.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 139
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/7/2016 4:07:53 AM   
ccotton8

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Just had to revive this thread.

I just finished Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls.

My goodness. What a writer. I had never read Hemingway before. Maybe one needs a certain level of, um, maturity to appreciate....

Cheers!

If you liked that, then you would like the Sun Also Rises and Farewell to Arms...my other two favorites from Hemingway.

I finished Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck about a month ago, and had the same response as yours to Hemingway. Never read Steinbeck in High School or College and my wife thought i was nuts for wanting read it. Glad I did, but I will admit it was a struggle to get through it...

I did just finish re-reading Ready Player One and Armada by Ernest Cline. Love those books.

Yay boo yay boo, some say yay and some say boo.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 140
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/7/2016 4:46:30 AM   
Eddie

Plato, Prehistorian, by Mary Settegast, and Eden in the East, by Michael Oppenheimer. Both are excellent, although aimed at academics and dedicated antiquarians, rather than the beach-going set.

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 141
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/7/2016 5:18:02 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: ccotton8

I finished Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck about a month ago, and had the same response as yours to Hemingway. Never read Steinbeck in High School or College and my wife thought i was nuts for wanting read it. Glad I did, but I will admit it was a struggle to get through it...

I did just finish re-reading Ready Player One and Armada by Ernest Cline. Love those books.

Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors - The Grapes of Wrath is a classic of his, but East of Eden is a marvelous book and my favorite one.
Ready Player One is in my queue of 'To Read' - so many books, so little time!

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

I've gone back to an old format of serial publishing and am reading Stephen King's The Green Mile, a great film with Tom Hanks but an even better read.

Indeed!

I just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) and I really liked it. About a virus that unfortunately causes people to self-immolate and is extremely contagious - so mankind and our world is burning. But some people figure out how to survive with it; the story is about a group of survivors and their travails. It's very long, but I really enjoyed it.

It seems like there is such a de-evolution in humanity that happens in every end-of-the-world book that I find really depressing.
All the petty tyrants come out, women become chattel, and (I can't say what I want here because of forum rules) - but I think I'd like to read a book on this sort of subject where the majority of the male characters didn't become total asshats.
Can't we all get along at the end of everything?

Dawn

Aldous Huxley

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 142
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/14/2016 1:21:30 PM   
Eddie

Who I Am, the autobiography of Pete Townshend...which I imagine most of you would enjoy. I'm only 1/5 of the way through, and can already reveal that it's the most entertaining book I've read in years...I guffaw loudly every few pages. It's quite a read.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 6/14/2016 1:22:47 PM >

Post #: 143
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/14/2016 1:36:50 PM   
PinotPhile

Just finished:

The Organized Mind by Daniel J. Levitin. Topic is dealing with our age of "information overload". Now taking a few notes before it goes back to the library. Helpful.

In Progress:

Crazy Blood by T. Jefferson Parker. Good, reliable author.

Received from DH, yet to pursue:

Williams-Sonoma Wine & Food, Joshua Wesson. A $3 find at a used bookstore for a 2008 book. He enjoys by adventures in wine and cooking, and it has become a paired, logical set of hobbies for me. Will enjoy, I am sure.

Dawn, I agree. So many books, so little time!

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 144
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/26/2016 5:16:48 AM   
cookiefiend

Just finished 'Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End' by Atul Gawande.

This was an facinating book and did it ever make me think.
What do I want the end of my life to be like? Where do I want to spend the last of my life, where will I have to spend the last of my life (a nursing home scares the hooey out of me). Will I be able to afford what I want?

I read this for book club - it's not a book I would have read otherwise - and we had a great discussion about it. At least half of our book club is either in the medical profession or is married to someone who is - and they have thoughts about this very issue. Added to that is the fact that we all have family members who are either in the midst of this or looking down the tunnel at it - not to mention it's something that's going to happen to us!

I highly recommend it.
I ordered his first book 'Life Worth Living: How Someone You Love Can Still Enjoy Life in a Nursing Home' and I look forward to reading it when it arrives.

Dawn

Aldous Huxley

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 145
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/26/2016 5:51:12 AM   
Eddie

I recently finished Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's one of the best books I've read, and I anticipate re-reading it many times.

Post #: 146
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/26/2016 7:50:09 AM   
cjsavino

Bill Graham Presents, story of concert promoter and operator of the Fillmore East/West.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 147
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/26/2016 11:13:35 AM   
PinotPhile

I am so glad this thread keeps going.

Checked out a book by Josephine Tey, supposedly one of the greatest mystery writers of all time. Gone since 1952, but her works are new to me.

The Man in the Queue, 1929.

That I begin today.

Further, DH brought home another wine tome from the used bookstore he frequents.

A Century of Wine, 2000, Stephen Brook.

That I began over the weekend. For wine geeks + history buffs it would be a good read. I like putting wine in context, and even though I've had some education and study in wine history this is an interesting review of the 1900-2000 period with some solid contributors.

Cheers!

(in reply to cjsavino)
Post #: 148
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/3/2016 11:06:12 AM   
Hollowine

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes (25th anniversary edition)

This is one of the best books I've ever read! I'm only 1/3 through and it isn't even WWII yet...

The depth of detail about the scientists and people involved in the discovery of atomic structure, the Periodic Table, radiation, radio-chemistry, Quantum Theory, Relativity...it is literally a relearning of half of everything I ever learned in basic Chemistry and Physics, and in such a way as to truly "get" it now rather than just learn it. It is amazing to read a chapter where they talk about Bohr, Curie, Fermi, Einstein, et all and you are absolutely mesmerized in their struggles and trials, knowing they are sooooo close, then "bam"...they discover that which changes the world and science forever. And oh...happen to win the Nobel Price the next year.

Not for the faint of heart...this is a gruelingly detailed, huge tome (900 pages, the audio book is 38 hours long!). But it is so well worth the read.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 149
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/3/2016 11:11:02 AM   
wadcorp

Really good book.

I also enjoyed another of his book, Deadly Feasts, about prion disease, "Mad Cow".

Very scary stuff.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI