CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 10:03:21 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: atlantean

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

hankj, I just have to comment here, because you know I love you. It's not that any of us have a problem with the fact that you truly don't like a lot of what WA State has to offer. That's great, and you shouldn't drink what you don't like. It's just that you appear to take any opportunity you can find to mention your distaste for so many WA Wines and, at times, it tip-toes on hinting that those of us that love them just don't know what we're drinking and have poor palates. Color me sensitive, but that's just my two cents. Go and drink your greeny, leany meanies and be happy!

Not trying to rub it in Brandon! And there are a lot of Washington wines I like!

I do though feel like the WA wine industry A) invents AVA's for marketing purposes from some mostly indistinct terroirs, and B) along with wildly overblowing annual differences (boy this 3000 gdd year sure is leaner than last year's 3250), local collectors then to some extent falsely believe that they accutely and accurately perceive these differences.

I can see how my occassional but regular pointing out "wait a minute, the emperor might not be fully dressed" (along with my refrain about WA's all around hot climate, so overdone is overkill and unfortunately done too often) can be seen as calling taste into question. But I also know that we all have different palates. People seem to love 2007 Quilceda Creek. To me it seems like a hot mess wall of muddled noise that will never come around. I really hope that doesn't make you or any other connoisseurs enjoy it any less, nor rue the $200 it cost! Lord know a cavalcade of winos are out there more than ready to take it off your hands at a profit if you've had enough.

The Washington wine industry, on the other hand, if they hear my voice and don't like it, tough isht. Just because I live here doesn't mean I have any obligation to support their $$$ driven mythologies. In fact I'd argue that random voices like mine persistently complaining about their big hot corporate steak house red trend of the 1990's and 2000's helped prompt change for the better. Beer the same - every time I walk into a Seattle bar (like twice a week) and am faced with a list of 8 syrupy super hoppy local options and 1 badly made pilsner, I'm gonna ask why they don't have an interesting dry lighter bodied ale on hand for those of us who don't consider chili dogs haute cuisine.

In short I'm truly happy for you and everyone else whose palates track to WA as a whole! My critiques are really directed at the industry in the hopes of flexing the market maybe just a little more to my palate. Probably I'm just shouting into the void, but if I do nudge the battleship even a little it's worth it.

Having shared30+ blind tastings with you I can say I usually found your comments passionate and thoughtful. Sometimes I agreed and learned something. Sometimes I knew that different strokes for different folks. Do miss the monthly events.

That being said middle of the road emplacement 12 Walla2 on the menu tonight.

Lee thanks bud - hope you and V are doing great. We do miss you at our get togethers.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 91
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 10:07:26 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

Opened up a 2009 Betz La Serenne tonight and decanted 3 hours. Again, my frame of reference for Syrah is Araujo Eisele and Carlisle Papas Block. This wine was more what I was used to unlike The Rocks AVA.

That being said, I found the wine tart, thin and not nearly as rounded of a Syrah compared to what I'm used to. This wine is not over ripe by any means but I found it not quite as full as California Syrah. There was also an alcohol component that wasn't quite integrated. I am not making any judgements yet because it's still early in my comparison. I need to try more Washington Syrah because it's different, no doubt. More to come.

Rick

Thanks for the note WGDM! It's amazing someone would think an Eastern Washington wine was thin. Maybe even "lean". I've been told they were all big blobby messes and all of Eastern Washington was just like Red Mountain.

Touche Chris. Re: Betz I've found their wines to be all over the map in weight, style and quality, from one of the very best WA Syrah's I've had to a few that were outright lousy. At least the winemaker is going for it- not at all a play it safe and find the middle approach ...

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 92
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 10:15:19 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

quote:

Opened up a 2009 Betz La Serenne tonight and decanted 3 hours. Again, my frame of reference for Syrah is Araujo Eisele and Carlisle Papas Block. This wine was more what I was used to unlike The Rocks AVA.

That being said, I found the wine tart, thin and not nearly as rounded of a Syrah compared to what I'm used to. This wine is not over ripe by any means but I found it not quite as full as California Syrah. There was also an alcohol component that wasn't quite integrated. I am not making any judgements yet because it's still early in my comparison. I need to try more Washington Syrah because it's different, no doubt. More to come.

Rick

Thanks for the note WGDM! It's amazing someone would think an Eastern Washington wine was thin. Maybe even "lean". I've been told they were all big blobby messes and all of Eastern Washington was just like Red Mountain.

Touche Chris. Re: Betz I've found their wines to be all over the map in weight, style and quality, from one of the very best WA Syrah's I've had to a few that were outright lousy. At least the winemaker is going for it- not at all a play it safe and find the middle approach ...
I've had similar experience with Betz. More good than bad for me, but sometimes I've wondered what happened, either to the bottle, or my palate.

In my own journey, I have some throat puckering 2017 Syrah that might calm down a bit after malo-lactic and more after a decade in the bottle. We'll see I guess.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 93
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 11:45:38 AM   
WineGuyCO

I have a 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse also in the cellar to try and so will be able to compare it to the La Serenne to see how it compares. Good to know about the different styles of Washington Syrah. The Rocks AVA Syrah and the Betz were not even close to the same style. This will be a fun journey.

Rick

Post #: 94
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 11:49:51 AM   
dsGris

• 2009 Betz Family Syrah La Serenne - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (8/10/2016)
    This may be a bad bottle, but it is terrible. I hold off on trashing a wine that has gotten a lot of acclaim. All I get is bitter stems and green blackberries. Out of deference to others I will not rate tonight, but mix with some cran/raspberry/laCroix for a wine cooler. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

This one was a bit better.
  • 2010 Betz Family Bésoleil - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (3/26/2016)
    Dark purple ruby with red plum, cedar nose. Dry, crisp red fruit, lightly woody tannins, medium to full body and fruit, a bit of astringent acid with the tannins. Old world style, muted but not restrained fruit balanced well with the acid and tannins, a touch of bitter on the finish. 89pts on opening.
    After a couple of hours, the rough edges have softened giving bright red berry, raspberry and red currants with well balanced acid and smooth tannins. More on the fruity than austere side and a joy to drink now. (92 pts.)

< Message edited by dsGris -- 11/6/2017 11:54:44 AM >

DennisG
    Granpa Wino

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
  • Post #: 95
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 12:49:18 PM   
    WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

• 2009 Betz Family Syrah La Serenne - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (8/10/2016)
    This may be a bad bottle, but it is terrible. I hold off on trashing a wine that has gotten a lot of acclaim. All I get is bitter stems and green blackberries. Out of deference to others I will not rate tonight, but mix with some cran/raspberry/laCroix for a wine cooler. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

This one was a bit better.
  • 2010 Betz Family Bésoleil - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (3/26/2016)
    Dark purple ruby with red plum, cedar nose. Dry, crisp red fruit, lightly woody tannins, medium to full body and fruit, a bit of astringent acid with the tannins. Old world style, muted but not restrained fruit balanced well with the acid and tannins, a touch of bitter on the finish. 89pts on opening.
    After a couple of hours, the rough edges have softened giving bright red berry, raspberry and red currants with well balanced acid and smooth tannins. More on the fruity than austere side and a joy to drink now. (92 pts.)

• Now that you posted this I went back and looked at some older posts also that showed some irregularities. I'm going to try the 2009 La Cote Rousse I have this weekend now. I said that I liked the wine, just didn't love it. It just tasted disjointed to me. It was not smooth at all.

Rick

(in reply to dsGris)
    Post #: 96
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/6/2017 8:39:27 PM   
    BornToRhone

Personally, I have preferred other wines than Betz to satisfy my Wa. taste cravings....I have found much better performance from Rotie, Rasa, Reynvaan, Andrew Will, Force Majeure, and others... (My $.02)

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 97
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/9/2017 7:38:28 PM   
    WineGuyCO

Tonight was a 2011 Force Majeure Collaboration III Syrah. My notes are as follows. Decanted 2 hours and tasted an hour after decant. Way more balanced that the 2009 Betz La Serenne without the green stemmy disjointed taste. That being said it is thin, still tart and not as rounded and full as the Cali Syrahs we are used to. Light mouth feel. No glycerin. Smells like Syrah but is lacking in structure.

Maybe I'm expecting too much or maybe Washington State Syrah is just not for me. Just to be sure, opened and decanted a 2012 Carlisle Papas Block Syrah for comparison. This was a complete butt kicking by the Carlisle. So much more full, extracted and heavier mouth feel. Maybe we just like the more extracted Cali Syrahs which is what we're used to?? Don't know. For those that like both styles would just like confirmation to what we're tasting but still haven't been wowed by a Washington Syrah. Maybe it's not going to happen. Maybe we just prefer the heavier weight Cali style. Have some Myriad and Quivet Syrah coming next week which might confirm our style of preference. So far it's Cali all the way.

Rick

(in reply to BornToRhone)
    Post #: 98
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/9/2017 8:31:04 PM   
    BornToRhone

I would expect it to be lighter in weight and body than a syrah grown 500 miles to the south in warmer weather. The question is all about preference - do you prefer jammier and weightier wines or do you prefer more acidic, multii-dimensional wines? The first would be better for drinking by itself and the second in tune for drinking with foods? Both are certainly acceptable depending on your preference. My preference is less jammy as very jammy/overly fruity wines tend to glomm up my taste buds so all I ever taste is fruit. I prefer to taste fruit, earth, leather, and other flavors in my wine.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 99
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 4:39:09 AM   
    Slye

quote:

Tonight was a 2011 Force Majeure Collaboration III Syrah. My notes are as follows. Decanted 2 hours and tasted an hour after decant. Way more balanced that the 2009 Betz La Serenne without the green stemmy disjointed taste. That being said it is thin, still tart and not as rounded and full as the Cali Syrahs we are used to. Light mouth feel. No glycerin. Smells like Syrah but is lacking in structure.

Maybe I'm expecting too much or maybe Washington State Syrah is just not for me. Just to be sure, opened and decanted a 2012 Carlisle Papas Block Syrah for comparison. This was a complete butt kicking by the Carlisle. So much more full, extracted and heavier mouth feel. Maybe we just like the more extracted Cali Syrahs which is what we're used to?? Don't know. For those that like both styles would just like confirmation to what we're tasting but still haven't been wowed by a Washington Syrah. Maybe it's not going to happen. Maybe we just prefer the heavier weight Cali style. Have some Myriad and Quivet Syrah coming next week which might confirm our style of preference. So far it's Cali all the way.

Rick

As a general matter I think you will find the WA Syrah's to be less intense than the CA ones -- though there may be exceptions. My recommendation would be to try one from the Rocks. They are not so much jammy, but more intense than from other parts of the state. A great less expensive entry point is Rotie Northern Blend -- I think starting in 14 or 15 they are sourcing from the Rocks. The flagships are Cayuse and Reynvaan -- the latter may be easier to source, but make sure you get In the Rocks -- they have non-rocks Syrah's as well. And if you can find Stoneessence that is purported to be their best. On the more pricey side, there is Horsepower, which is a higher end bottling by the Cayuse team. I don't know how easy those are to find on the secondary market. I do see them from time to time being offered on the Commerce Corner site of Wineberserkers.

Good luck!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 100
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 8:27:01 AM   
    ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Rick

Well, I'm not even gonna try to explain that 2011 is thought to be the leanest WA vintage in the past decade or so. I do own a few bottles of the wine you just drank, so will open one soon to see what my palate thinks.

WGDM, I think you clearly have a CA Syrah suited palate. I'm a bit baffled since I can't tell the wide difference between the WA wines and the CA examples I've tried, but there is obviously something missing for your palate vs. what you like in CA Syrah. It would be interesting to do a blind tasting with you someday with some bigger WA Syrah along side some CA favorites of yours and talk about the differences.

I know I've trained my palate with what I drink (and enjoy) the most, and everybody should do the same imo particularly when the entry point and access for some varieties/regions is quite expensive. I know I've never gone down the Burgundy path after trying several examples at tastings, and even have just a few OR Pinots that I'll buy to avoid too much costly fly casting. Same with Nebbiolo. I like it some of the time, but don't have enough patience or funds to learn it enough to differentiate and seek out favorites.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 101
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 9:19:48 AM   
    WineGuyCO

quote:

quote:

Rick

Well, I'm not even gonna try to explain that 2011 is thought to be the leanest WA vintage in the past decade or so. I do own a few bottles of the wine you just drank, so will open one soon to see what my palate thinks.

WGDM, I think you clearly have a CA Syrah suited palate. I'm a bit baffled since I can't tell the wide difference between the WA wines and the CA examples I've tried, but there is obviously something missing for your palate vs. what you like in CA Syrah. It would be interesting to do a blind tasting with you someday with some bigger WA Syrah along side some CA favorites of yours and talk about the differences.

I know I've trained my palate with what I drink (and enjoy) the most, and everybody should do the same imo particularly when the entry point and access for some varieties/regions is quite expensive. I know I've never gone down the Burgundy path after trying several examples at tastings, and even have just a few OR Pinots that I'll buy to avoid too much costly fly casting. Same with Nebbiolo. I like it some of the time, but don't have enough patience or funds to learn it enough to differentiate and seek out favorites.

Chris..........I saw your comment to my tasting note on CT. I think you're right about my palate. I guess I prefer the more jammy, weighty CA Syrahs to a certain point. Some of them (Paso Robles) are too jammy for me. It seems the Washington style is just different which is OK.

I need to try some more. So far I have only tasted Reynvaan In The Rocks & The Contender, Betz La Serenne and now Force Majeure Collaboration III and all were good but nothing that Wowed me. My wife told me last night that I shouldn't expect to be Wowed with EVERY bottle I drank. I said, Why not? Is that too much to ask when spending the money we spend for these wines?

So far I am putting the Washington Syrahs in the same category of flavor profile as Burgundy. Just a subtle, different expression of the Pinot Noir or Syrah grape which is more about nuances and flavor profiles which are not going to knock you over the head but are more about the experience. Again, I've only tasted a few so there are many more to try. Chris.......I will be interested in your thoughts on the wine when you drink it.

Rick

Post #: 102
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 10:14:06 AM   
    ChrisinCowiche

quote:

My wife told me last night that I shouldn't expect to be Wowed with EVERY bottle I drank. I said, Why not? Is that too much to ask when spending the money we spend for these wines?

Bingo. I agree we should expect a wow experience when investing $50+ in a bottle of wine. For the less than wow experience I can afford $20 or so, but not $50, and certainly not approaching $100+ especially when experimenting.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 103
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 12:52:59 PM   
    PinotPhile

quote:

quote:

My wife told me last night that I shouldn't expect to be Wowed with EVERY bottle I drank. I said, Why not? Is that too much to ask when spending the money we spend for these wines?

Bingo. I agree we should expect a wow experience when investing $50+ in a bottle of wine. For the less than wow experience I can afford $20 or so, but not $50, and certainly not approaching $100+ especially when experimenting.

+1. I believe many of us have our wow vs. weekend vs. daily drinker price expectations. My $ thresholds would be less than yours, Cran & probably yours as well, Rick. But we all have our preferences and our palates. And our way of assessing QPR.

Similar to what Chris said, I haven't explored red Burgs in depth because I doubt being "wowed" by what I'm willing to spend. Have had some good luck with Langhe Nebs, though. Continuing to pursue those.

Syrah Cheers!

Post #: 104
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 2:25:44 PM   
    dbg

quote:

quote:

In my experience $50 is no guarantee of a WOW, unless you count "WOW, that was a lot of money for a wine that wasn’t much better than ok." Over time, as I’ve learned what I like and what to expect from various producers, the hit rate has gone up. There’s still an occasional surprise dud. And I know there are some unexploded munitions resting in the cellar that are highly unlikely to be WOWs.

David G

Post #: 105
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 3:09:23 PM   
    WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

quote:

quote:

In my experience $50 is no guarantee of a WOW, unless you count "WOW, that was a lot of money for a wine that wasn’t much better than ok." Over time, as I’ve learned what I like and what to expect from various producers, the hit rate has gone up. There’s still an occasional surprise dud. And I know there are some unexploded munitions resting in the cellar that are highly unlikely to be WOWs.

Agree but a $50-$60 for a Syrah is buying on of the better producers unlike what we would pay for a top California Cab or top Burgundy which would even be higher. I don't expect to be wowed by a $50 California Cab or Burgundy but for $50-$60 I think a Syrah should be pretty darn good. Alban Patrina and Carlisle Papas Block and Sierra Mar are at $50 and those are pretty great.

dbg has it right though..........we should know the Producer which I've gotten pretty good at now. Even then there can be some duds in the collection and I KNOW that I have many hiding in the cellar. Case in point, Stags Leap Fay. Used to be pretty consistent but had a 2009 recently and it was not impressive. It happens. There is plenty of vintage variation, even in California. Ideally we would all taste every wine before we buy it but that's not reasonable.

Rick

(in reply to dbg)
    Post #: 106
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/10/2017 7:37:37 PM   
    fingers

Another one to keep an eye out for, Rick, is the Avennia Arnaut Boushey Vineyard Syrah. A bigger style that might just seem like a different region of Cali.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 107
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/11/2017 7:11:49 AM   
    hankj

quote:

I would expect it to be lighter in weight and body than a syrah grown 500 miles to the south in warmer weather.

Farther north yes, but Eastern Washington is hotter than basically all of the NorCal wine country, including Napa.

On the Davis Index Napa might be higher as it stays warm later in the evening compared to Eastern WA, but it is hot in summer in the Eastern part of our state!

< Message edited by hankj -- 11/11/2017 9:07:15 AM >

(in reply to BornToRhone)
    Post #: 108
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/11/2017 7:34:24 AM   
    jmcmchi

quote:

hankj

quote:

I would expect it to be lighter in weight and body than a syrah grown 500 miles to the south in warmer weather.

Farther north yes, but Eastern Washington is hotterEastern Washington is hotter than basically all of the NorCal wine country, including Napaincluding Napa.

On the Davis Index Napa might be higher as it stays warm later in the evening compared to Eastern WA, but it is hot in summer in the Eastern part of our state!

Agreed. Than add a factor that really counts in Wa - the lower night temperatures that allow more acidity than you would expect otherwise

(in reply to hankj)
    Post #: 109
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/11/2017 9:10:37 AM   
    hankj

quote:

Agreed. Than add a factor that really counts in Wa - the lower night temperatures that allow more acidity than you would expect otherwise

Yes, that's the idea. Argentina is similar, actually hotter but even more continental so cools off even more at night. Think, though, how different top Argentine wines are from top WA producers. It's interesting how differently each area tends to choose to express those high heat days and cooler nights.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
    Post #: 110
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/11/2017 6:40:48 PM   
    ChrisinCowiche

My note on 2011 Force Majeure III:

89 points. Nose is blackberry tar lavender, palate is medium to lightweight blackberry, short finish, drying tannins. Pretty direct varietal correct $20 Syrah. Unfortunately it cost almost 3 x that much.

I have no idea what people are tasting that they think warrants 93 point average. Very underwhelming.

(in reply to hankj)
    Post #: 111
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/12/2017 3:22:49 PM   
    WineGuyCO

quote:

My note on 2011 Force Majeure III:

89 points. Nose is blackberry tar lavender, palate is medium to lightweight blackberry, short finish, drying tannins. Pretty direct varietal correct $20 Syrah. Unfortunately it cost almost 3 x that much.

I have no idea what people are tasting that they think warrants 93 point average. Very underwhelming.

Chris,

Thank you for your note and glad you have similar notes to mine. Maybe these wines should be drank earlier? Don't know but for the price it wasn't worth it. 2011 wasn't a great year in California and don't know about Washington.

Like you, have no idea who gives this wine higher scores. 2009 Betz La Serenne got similar scores and was not even an 89 by me. I was
    just being nice. I think my palate is pretty accurate as far as what I taste. There was just zero WoW in the Force Majeure. Let me know when you taste an exceptional Washington Syrah.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 11/12/2017 3:25:02 PM >

Post #: 112
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/12/2017 4:04:35 PM   
    Slye

You should sign up for secret santa some year.......

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 113
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/13/2017 10:13:11 AM   
    WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

You should sign up for secret santa some year.......

Next year. I just have too many balls in the air right now.

Rick

(in reply to Slye)
    Post #: 114
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/14/2017 8:31:09 PM   
    CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

Force Majeure

quote:

Force Majeure

quote:

Force Majeure

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

Force Majeure

Wasn't that a Chuck Norris movie?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to wine247365)
    Post #: 115
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/14/2017 8:43:31 PM   
    wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

Force Majeure

quote:

Force Majeure

quote:

Force Majeure (2009 Force Majeure Syrah Collaboration Series Reserve Ciel du Cheval Vineyard)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

Force Majeure

Wasn't that a Chuck Norris movie?

Referencing Chuck seriously raises the risks of a hijacking!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
    Post #: 116
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/15/2017 4:42:02 PM   
    WineGuyCO

Well...Finally a Washington Syrah I can get my arms around. I still need to drink more Reynvaan but it's a different style. Opened a 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse Red Mountain. I like it YAY !!! So far I'd give it a 90 but only been opened an hour.

Nice dark purple, nice fruit and more of a Syrah that I'm used to but not as sweet and over ripe which I really like. The only knock I have is it has a certain dryness or dried out taste but not horrible? Is this dried tannins? Trying to think if this is something I've tasted before but don't think so. Would like other opinions on what this dryness is. It was worse on opening and seems to be getting better though.

This will be great with pepperoni homemade pizza. Diet is out the door. Eff It....Holiday Season has started

Rick

(in reply to wine247365)
    Post #: 117
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/15/2017 4:55:33 PM   
    ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Well...Finally a Washington Syrah I can get my arms around. I still need to drink more Reynvaan but it's a different style. Opened a 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse Red Mountain. I like it YAY !!! So far I'd give it a 90 but only been opened an hour.

Nice dark purple, nice fruit and more of a Syrah that I'm used to but not as sweet and over ripe which I really like. The only knock I have is it has a certain dryness or dried out taste but not horrible? Is this dried tannins? Trying to think if this is something I've tasted before but don't think so. Would like other opinions on what this dryness is. It was worse on opening and seems to be getting better though.

This will be great with pepperoni homemade pizza. Diet is out the door. Eff It....Holiday Season has started

Rick
    Well, as luck would have it, I have a bottle of that wine as well. I'll drink it and see what I think. Damn, Rick, you're drinking me out of house and home.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
    Post #: 118
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/15/2017 5:20:41 PM   
    jmcmchi

quote:

WineGuyDelMar

Try La Cote Patriarche as well....

I don't think you can get Gorman's Black Curtain but you might find some older Bunnell Bouschey-McPherson

Post #: 119
    RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/15/2017 5:23:35 PM   
    CranBurgundy

The dryness, particularly on the finish, is most certainly tannin. Strong reds need years to resolve. The problem some people have is that as the tannins / polyphenols bond and form sediment, they also bond with some of the flavor and color molecules so the wine loses some fruit and starts to lighten to what's often described as "brick" on the edge. Personally, I like a well resolved wine that has developed nice secondary / tertiary notes yet still has decent fruit.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 120
    Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI