CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 8:11:47 AM   
mclancy10006

2018 UPDATE:
Day 1 - Friday February 16
Dinner, 7:15 PM - dinner at Seasons 52. All-in @ $105/per person Theme is "Old World" wines

Day 2 - Saturday February 17
Afternoon tasting (1pm) Buoncristiani Wines with Matt Buoncristiani - wine supplied.
Venue South Tampa at chez mclancy10006
Here is their story http://www.buonwine.com

Dinner 7:00 PM at Capital Grille. All-in @ $125/per person "New World Theme"

Day 3 - Sunday February 18 @$45/pp
11:30-3pm Brunch @ Flamestone in Oldsmar
Wine theme "Pour to Impress" Blind Tasting contest with prizes for highest scoring wine and most accurate taster,

This year all dinners will be pre-paid to avoid any confusion from last minute cancellations which unfortunately happened last year and took a lot to undo.

Please PM for payment instructions. I can take checks, PayPal, Zelle, and probably nine other forms of payment. We will need payment by 2/2, but earlier is better. if you have to cancel you can do so before noon ET on 2/2 and I can refund your $. After that we have to pay for slot either way.

-First post--

Well the conspiracy is afoot again, and we are starting to have discussions on how to pull this thing together somehow. It is earliest of days for planning, but the idea remains the same.

I got a few pings from people planning their travel schedules already so wanted to get this on the docket.

Short version: Wine bacchanal in Tampa Presidents' day weekend 2018 or there about with the usual over indulgent wine, food, and merriment.

Here are the links to the prior incarnations:

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=405785
https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=390957

At this point just trying to gauge level of interest of the CT community.

-Mark

< Message edited by mclancy10006 -- 2/15/2018 9:20:46 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 8:56:12 AM   
Eddie

There is a remote chance that we'll be in the area (Anna Maria Island) then. We'd certainly be interested (we'd be with a whole beach-house full of wine-drinkers).

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 2
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 10:35:40 AM   
CranBurgundy

Interest level: HUGE
Possibility of attendance: NIL

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 12:28:07 PM   
mc2 wines

Yep - we're in.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 1:43:25 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

SAD FACE is right

Post #: 5
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 2:47:43 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

Very interested. Any very likely to attend. (Sorry Cran)

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 6
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 3:10:16 PM   
Ibetian

After missing earlier this year, we’ll be in for at least part of the 2018 edition.

Thanks so much for organizing this again!

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 7
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 3:42:55 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

SAD FACE is right

If this gets held a month later, I'd be there for every part of it. But in retail, there are black-out dates for nearly all of February - especially President's Day weekend.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 8
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 10/30/2017 3:50:22 PM   
nmw

This means a planning meeting is necessary. Planning meetings mean wine. Good thing I’m on the way to Walla Walla. Working on special guests. Anything is possible.....

Post #: 9
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/12/2017 8:56:58 AM   
MindMuse

Thanks for the personal check-in, Larry.

So Her Ladyship and I have been pretty busy lately with design of a new house. It will be under construction during Tampa Bacchanal, but probably a good time for us to get away. I would say we are very probable to make it for three in a row. The wines and people are always insane! (Meaning insanely GOOD!)

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 10
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/19/2017 5:52:04 PM   
mclancy10006

Still working ideas on this, but starting to get some of the parts together. The triumvirate needs another planning meeting as the last one had too much wine before plans were considered. :)

-Mark

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 11
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/19/2017 7:30:35 PM   
nmw

quote:

Still working ideas on this, but starting to get some of the parts together. The triumvirate needs another planning meeting as the last one had too much wine before plans were considered. :)

-Mark

12 bottles over 10 peeps definitely impacted our planning ability. Looks like a dedicated planning session is in order. Stay tuned, this will be memorable.

Post #: 12
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/25/2017 2:26:53 PM   
tastark

New to Tampa, but we're penciling this in. We have a family member's 70th birthday around the same time, but details and dates are still up in the air. Cheers!

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 13
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/26/2017 9:56:42 AM   
Tannic Monster

Looking forward to attending again this year...finally recuperated from last year I think.

Tannic Monster

Post #: 14
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 11/29/2017 4:44:49 AM   
BornToRhone

I am certainly interested in attending this year but I am still working on convincing SH to spend the time to smell the flowers (in the wine)....

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Tannic Monster)
Post #: 15
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/1/2017 2:43:30 PM   
mclancy10006

OK working on the details still. Trying to lock down a wine maker for the weekend (and maybe a second one too) and that is close to getting booked.

As far as the tastings where we bring wine go we have 3 events planned:
. The main event as usual will be the "Pour to impress" blind tasting. Both wines and tasters will be scored. I think this time is should just be Reds, but let’s debate the plusses/minuses of that here :)
. The other two tasting events will be themed with one as "Finesse" and the other as "Power" to show case the two predominate styles of wines that seem to pop up in CT land (or at least in my mind).

We had done regional or varietal style themes before, so this is not grape/geography bound on either side. This idea of Finesse vs. Power is not per se a Parker vs AFWE kind of deal, but something NMW and I were discussing the other day about some specific regions/styles where we liked both. Who knows that might be what we conclude afterwards.

On the logistics side this time we are going to collect money up front for the dinners so we can avoid any drama when the bill comes at the end. 😊 We will have pricing information in a little bit when we lock those venues down.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 16
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/1/2017 4:41:29 PM   
nmw

quote:

OK working on the details still. Trying to lock down a wine maker for the weekend (and maybe a second one too) and that is close to getting booked.

. The main event as usual will be the "Pour to impress" blind tasting. Both wines and tasters will be scored. I think this time is should just be Reds, but let’s debate the plusses/minuses of that here :)
. The other two tasting events will be themed with one as "Finesse" and the other as "Power" to show case the two predominate styles of wines that seem to pop up in CT land (or at least in my mind).

We had done regional or varietal style themes before, so this is not grape/geography bound on either side. This idea of Finesse vs. Power is not per se a Parker vs AFWE kind of deal, but something NMW and I were discussing the other day about some specific regions/styles where we liked both. Who knows that might be what we conclude afterwards.

On the logistics side this time we are going to collect money up front for the dinners so we can avoid any drama when the bill comes at the end. 😊 We will have pricing information in a little bit when we lock those venues down.

Quick tease…winemaker is locked down, Napa. He is all in! Bringing quality and quantity. In fact had/have a really darned good second winemaker express interest. hmmmmm

One venue locked down as well. This will be another great event, worthy of a Tampa Wine Spring Break designation.

< Message edited by nmw -- 12/4/2017 7:50:58 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/1/2017 6:03:48 PM   
Les Galets

Hi All! New to the group and the thread. My wife and I would be very interesting in attending this event! Looking forward to sharing good wine and food with all!

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 18
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/1/2017 6:33:28 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: nmw

quote:

Quick tease…winemaker is locked down. He/she is all in! Brining quality and quantity. In fact had/have a really darned good second winemaker express interest. hmmmmm

One venue locked down as well. This will be another great event, worthy of a Tampa Wine Spring Break designation.

I really want to make this. What would I need to bring? I'm happy to contribute but what exactly is that? So I would just fly into Tampa and get a hotel. No problem. Where will this event be held?

Thanks

Rick

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 19
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/4/2017 1:59:19 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

I really want to make this. What would I need to bring? I'm happy to contribute but what exactly is that? So I would just fly into Tampa and get a hotel. No problem. Where will this event be held?

Thanks

Rick

I will post more complete information next weekend. The idea on the wine diners is bottles north of $75. We try to get two of the same so their is enough of a pour for everyone to get some. This usually means bringing 2 bottles for one of the dinners (and not the other) and then of course a "pour to impress" bottle.
That works out to 3 bottles per person. The venue is greater Tampa with most events in South Tampa (Kennedy Blvd & Dale Mabry Highway is a good center point) or near the airport. Most out of town folks stay close to the airport.

And since you heard it here first I guess the Power vs Finesse meme is out there already. Just saw this today. https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/04/the-new-california-is-an-old-story?h=1

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 20
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/4/2017 2:58:03 PM   
Rackit

We had such a blast last year and are planning to attend again.
Trying to get my head around the themes.

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

Post #: 21
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/4/2017 7:55:07 PM   
nmw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rackit

We had such a blast last year and are planning to attend again.
Trying to get my head around the themes.

@Rackit, this will be another great event. I’m really glad you’ll both be back! Winemaker is a real good one.

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 22
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/5/2017 10:16:44 AM   
Rackit

quote:

@Rackit, this will be another great event. I’m really glad you’ll both be back! Winemaker is a real good one.

Thanks!
Do you think the "power" theme might be a bit challenging to get through if we have as many bottles as we did for last year's dinners?
We just did an amazing dinner with the NYC folks where half the wines were aged Rayas and the other half SQN. The Rayas was probably representative of "fineness" and the SQN "power". It was a great contrast in Grenache.
It might be more interesting to do "power" wines with age to temper things a bit.
Thoughts?
I do still like last year's themes of new/old world wines.

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 23
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/5/2017 11:12:52 AM   
nmw

quote:

quote:

Thanks!
Do you think the "power" theme might be a bit challenging to get through if we have as many bottles as we did for last year's dinners?
We just did an amazing dinner with the NYC folks where half the wines were aged Rayas and the other half SQN. The Rayas was probably representative of "fineness" and the SQN "power". It was a great contrast in Grenache.
It might be more interesting to do "power" wines with age to temper things a bit.
Thoughts?

Thank you. All good points and reasons for the committee to meet over wine. Helps with decision making.

We’re still fine-tuning or even tuning. Have a good surprise that will help. Stay tuned.

Sounds like quite the event you had.

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 24
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/5/2017 11:39:55 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: nmw

quote:

quote:

Thanks!
Thoughts?

Thank you. All good points and reasons for the committee to meet over wine. Helps with decision making.

We’re still fine-tuning or even tuning. Have a good surprise that will help. Stay tuned.

Sounds like quite the event you had.

Like you guys need an excuse...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to nmw)
Post #: 25
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/9/2017 4:14:40 PM   
annerk

We are a possibility this year. If we are still living in Orlando. There's a distinct possibility that we'll be in Boston. Or Seattle. Or San Francisco. Or Hartford. Or Phoenix. Or Cleveland. Bottom line, we'll have to wait and see when we get closer.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 26
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/9/2017 4:36:45 PM   
nmw

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

We are a possibility this year. If we are still living in Orlando. There's a distinct possibility that we'll be in Boston. Or Seattle. Or San Francisco. Or Hartford. Or Phoenix. Or Cleveland. Bottom line, we'll have to wait and see when we get closer.

Welcome back!

Hope you can make it happen. You will absolutely be near wine heaven with this year’s special guest. That’s all I will divulge for now.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 27
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/9/2017 5:24:52 PM   
roguetrader97

Ive always wanted to do one of these. And Ive always wanted to make a Tampa trip to eat at Bern's.

Cant do it this year, but i would love to next year.

Post #: 28
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/22/2017 8:25:02 AM   
mclancy10006

OK a few updates.

We had some debate about the wine theme to stay with "Power vs. Finesse" as I proposed or move to the more classic "Old World vs New World". Please replay with comments on that front as we have time yet.

Friday's dinner is at Season 52 (5 courses). All in at $105/pp.
Saturday afternoon wll be a tasting at my house with wine provided. Our featured winery will be Buoncristiani with Matt Buoncristiani . http://www.buonwine.com/
Saturday's dinner is at Capital grill All in at $125/pp
We are still sorting out the Sunday Lunch event, but it will be catered at my house or Larry's.

That leave plenty of room for some other to conspire on Bern's dinner if you need more on Sunday/Monday. :)

-Mark

(in reply to roguetrader97)
Post #: 29
RE: Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 - 12/22/2017 3:48:11 PM   
nmw

Dinners should be very special!

There is some friendly competition between Cap Grille and Seasons52. Husband vs wife, Execuitve Chef @ Cap Grille v Sales Director @ Seasons52. Actually collaboration is more like it.

I’ll vote w Power and Finesse. Though for me, wines already picked either way.

< Message edited by nmw -- 12/22/2017 4:08:13 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tampa Wine Spring Break III - Feb 16-19, 2018 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI