CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:00:01 AM   
crispino

Welcome!

This is the Reveal Day thread for the AFWE Santas. If you see your name below, this is your group! I have listed everyone by their forum username in alphabetical order.

The AFWE Santas: (updated through Post #151)
Name__________-__________Wine Received__________-__________From
1. bdlsmo - 2010 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino and 2012 Carmes de Rieussec - River Rat
2. bkc1428 - 2012 Massolino Barolo Margheria - Franklin 10
3. ChrisinSunnyside - 2010 Château La Croix St. Georges and NV Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 50% - vinopkm
4. dhp. - 2013 Gramercy Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley - Wine Gopher
5. Endodr - 2005 Château La Vieille Cure - bkc1428
6. Exit 105 - 2015 Château Lafleur-Gazin - musedir
7. Franklin 10 - 2013 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera - dhp.
8. GalvezGuy - 2014 Small Vines Wines Pinot Noir TBH Vineyard and 2016 Arista Winery Chardonnay Banfield Vineyard and 2012 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia - yogi8938
9. Hollowine - 2012 Viñedos de Páganos Rioja El Puntido - RedRedMoreRed
10. jrockman - 2015 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont - recotte
11. musedir - 2007 Mark Ryan Dead Horse Ciel du Cheval Vineyard and 2004 Basel Cellars Cabernet Franc - Hollowine
12. R. Weaver - 2014 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Old Goat and 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Syrah Goat Rocks Vineyard - ChrisinSunnyside
13. recotte - 2008 Favia Cerro Sur - Endodr
14. RedRedMoreRed - 2006 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon - R. Weaver
15. River Rat - 2006 Tenute Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino Vigneto Manachiara - Exit 105
16. vinopkm - 2009 Ferraton Père & Fils Ermitage Les Díonníeres - jrockman
17. Wine Gopher - 2011 Tenuta Guado al Tasso (Antinori) Bolgheri Superiore - GalvezGuy
18. yogi8938 - 2014 Hourglass Merlot Blueline - bdlsmo

This first post will serve as the master list for this group, so refer back to it often! After each person’s name I will post what wine he/she received, once it’s been revealed. Whenever someone correctly guesses their Santa, I will put a strikethrough line through the Santa’s name, like so. So if a name is crossed out on the list above, then that person has already been identified as someone’s Santa. We’ll keep goin’ until everyone’s been identified!

I know not everyone plays the guessing game with the same level of gusto, and that is fine. However, everyone should, at a minimum, do the following:

- Post what you received
- Say thank you!
- Make at least a guess or two, if you are so moved (although you should feel free to take some time to sleuth about first)
- If you decide to drink your wine right away, feel free to post a tasting note and/or story
- Have fun!
- Important: if someone guesses you as their Santa, please post whether or not they’re right. This means that even if you are not following the thread very closely, you should at least check in periodically and scan the posts to see if someone’s guessed you. As Head Elf, I reserve the right to post your answer for you if enough time goes by and you are just leaving somebody hanging. I doubt I will have to do this, but just be aware that a minimum amount of participation from everyone is needed to keep the game moving along and fun for all.

Don’t forget that you can ask your Santa for a hint if you are stuck! Santas can also provide a hint if they like, although you may want to wait until your recipient specifically asks, so as not to spoil it for someone who likes a challenge. Mysterious statements cloaked in subterfuge are always a source of amusement...

That’s it! So, without further ado, start ripping open them packages and tell us what you got! Have fun and Happy Secret Santa to all!

- Chris (crispino)

< Message edited by crispino -- 12/17/2018 5:58:28 AM >

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile
Post #: 1
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:06:06 AM   
musedir

Opened at 12:00:30....
first clue: a double shipper
Second clue: a note in multiple handwriting saying ‘You’re Welcome!” And also proving that Schrodinger’s Cat survived!
Third clue: two vintage red WA State wines — 2007 Mark Ryan’s Dead Horse Ciel du Cheval (as reported in CT Santa’s sledbag) and
2004 Basel Cellars Cab Franc (a bonus bottle...)

The game is afoot!

< Message edited by musedir -- 12/8/2018 9:12:09 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 2
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:17:48 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thank you Santa. I was a very good boy this year. Up until this past Monday when I opened my gift early to avoid having to not know while I was travelling for work in CA. I have an idea or two about who may have been my extrodinarily generous Secret Santa. Not only did he/she share a bodacious bottle of Bordeaux ready to drink, he/she included one of my favorite bourbons of all time! They either are a fellow brown drinker, or they can read, since I praised this bourbon in the thread here. That alone eliminates at least half of this crew. Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! Secret Santa.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 3
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:22:30 AM   
R. Weaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Thank you Santa. I was a very good boy this year. Up until this past Monday when I opened my gift early to avoid having to not know while I was travelling for work in CA. I have an idea or two about who may have been my extrodinarily generous Secret Santa. Not only did he/she share a bodacious bottle of Bordeaux ready to drink, he/she included one of my favorite bourbons of all time! They either are a fellow brown drinker, or they can read, since I praised this bourbon in the thread here. That alone eliminates at least half of this crew. Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! Secret Santa.

2 great bottles there. You must have been on the nice list!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:29:07 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

... or they can read... That alone eliminates at least half of this crew.

Post #: 5
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:32:16 AM   
River Rat

A note...

I can now see why he was smiling.

2006 vintage! Thank you Santa, I’m stoked! Deep down I was hoping for a Brunello or Barolo. Must be a “B” thing with me.

I have a pretty good idea who you are as based on a quick database search you’re not very good at this deception thing. Or are you? Hmmm...

(in reply to R. Weaver)
Post #: 6
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:33:44 AM   
Franklin 10

Don’t know how I ended up with the AFWE crowd (although truth be told, I am an omnivore and more than happy to have a glass of balanced and nuanced fermented juice in my glass).

Thanks Crispino for continuing to administer the festivities for this crown of wine sophisticates! (and me too)

Nice treats already identified, congrats to the lucky recipients.

Well, I guess its time to open up mine. Here goes...

< Message edited by Franklin 10 -- 12/8/2018 9:34:10 AM >

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

Post #: 7
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:38:46 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

Box is opened, revealing a very nice 2006 Forman Napa Valley Cabernet. Something right up my alley. Now for the hard part... The Great Carnac asks...

R. Weaver, are you my Secret Santa?

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 8
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:39:09 AM   
Hollowine

So my Santa unknowingly has an Elf in the house here...The one that receives the box when I'm on the road, takes it upon herself to black sharpie out any identifying info, and hide it...then makes me basically beg for the box on reveal day. *sigh*

Non-wine shipper that has been duly redacted of any identifying info...grrrrrrrr

Inside, a nicely wrapped inner gift that is very heavy, and feels like a wooden box. My mind immediately goes to a few years ago when someone crafted a puzzle box and I'm getting REAL nervous...

Opened the wrapping, saw it was just a OWC for one bottle, slid right off...

Note inside, but no hint who it is, at least on first look...

Thanks Santa! Starting to love Rioja and hoping to maybe visit Spain this year!

2012 Viñedos de Páganos Rioja El Puntido

Guessing...

Well, pretty clear it came from Personal cellar due to the wrapping and inner OWC box...

Guessing maybe they live in a state that doesn't allow shipping of Alcohol due to the non-standard packaging...

Also, wine bottle was padded with many Dunkin Donuts napkins...either this is a veiled Pairing suggestion or maybe a hint that they may live East of the Rockies/Mississippi, as DD isn't so much a thing in the West-Coast...

Good grammar and punctuation in the note...

hmmmmmmm....

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 9
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:43:44 AM   
River Rat

Well, let’s give this a shot. My wine came from New Jersey with the senders name on the shipping label. Sender obviosly hides his real name on the forum but when I search the City of Long Branch I get a post from last years Secret Santa stating that Long Branch is the 105 exit off the highway.

Duh, Exit105 are you my most generous Santa?

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 10
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:44:24 AM   
dhp.

ignore/delete

< Message edited by dhp. -- 12/8/2018 9:57:16 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:45:28 AM   
R. Weaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

Box is opened, revealing a very nice 2006 Forman Napa Valley Cabernet. Something right up my alley. Now for the hard part... The Great Carnac asks...

I am, what led to that astute guess?

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 12
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:50:37 AM   
R. Weaver

Mine is on the way from the office and will be here very shortly. But I think I already have a pretty good line of sight on my SS. I know the package was sent from Oxnard and a quick search of the forum would point to an individual frequently associated with the town, but who oddly enough doesn’t live there,

(in reply to R. Weaver)
Post #: 13
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 9:53:10 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: R. Weaver

quote:

I am, what led to that astute guess?

Well.. The Great Carnac doesn't give out his secrets. However, it COULD have something to do with the box stating that the shipper was: R. Weaver. But really, it was my psychic powers.

Seriously, a very generous gift which I really look forward to trying. I've never had Forman, so I'm excited to try it. Also, 2006 was the year my wife and I got married, so extra special. Merry Christmas to your and thanks again for the wonderful gift.

< Message edited by RedRedMoreRed -- 12/8/2018 9:55:38 AM >

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to R. Weaver)
Post #: 14
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:05:54 AM   
dhp.

Thank you to the head elves for organizing during their busy schedules!

Also, I give up on trying to insert images, there doesn't seem to be auto-resizing in the forum, nor a way to manually upload the image

The North Pole, eh?
https://imgur.com/C4b93tU

The reveal:
https://imgur.com/8k34ier

2013 Gramercy Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon! My first Washington Cab! Thank you very much Secret Santa, very excited to try it with several years of cellar time! My wife and I do enjoy our cabernet, AFWE or not! I actually really want to open this now, but will have to try and forget about it. Maybe I'll request for a not-so-ageworthy wine next time!

Now, I had done a little sleuthing this week, in that I looked up the tracking info to find that this package shipped from Minnesota, so perhaps the return address of "North Pole" was accurate indeed. Based upon this information, and a cellar inventory with a healthy amount of Washington wine, including those of Gramercy Cellars, my guess is... Wine Gopher! Are you my Secret Santa?

Post #: 15
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:07:49 AM   
Hollowine

Well...even though my wife crossed out the address/name on the UPS label, she failed to redact the shipping number.

Package originated in Orlando, FL...

Endodr lives in Hollywood FL, a couple hours South of Orlando...

bdlsmo is the only one I haven't figured out location for and can't seem to find a cellar of that name...

Maybe someone shipped to another CT'er in FL...hmmmm...

Post #: 16
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:11:51 AM   
musedir

The rarity of the 2004 Basel is my strongest clue (aside from that fine looking feline)... Wine Gopher, are you my Secret Santa?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 17
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:23:04 AM   
Hollowine

Ya know... some of these older CT'ers can get a wee bit sneaky. Case in point...dontime now lives in Orlando, FL, but he is in the other Santa Grouping...

Plus I note he has enjoyed several Spanish Red's in about this age range...

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 18
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:23:44 AM   
dhp.

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

The rarity of the 2004 Basel is my strongest clue (aside from that fine looking feline)... Wine Gopher, are you my Secret Santa?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 19
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:26:18 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhp.

Well, unless you are Cookiefiend...

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 20
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:26:44 AM   
Franklin 10

Wow! 2013 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera

I’m very excited about this, thank you Secret Santa!

We’ve been exploring Italian wines and Barolo in particular and my thirst has been triggered reading TNs on this one. I haven’t had any Cogno produced wines and may not for a while as it looks like some time in the cellar is called for here.

Great gift giving SS, well done!

So... which oenogenious did this come from?

Evidence:

Sent from Bronx. At least one SS hails from that borough, but IzeAgeComing isn’t AFWE.

Community holdings includes one SS who also conspicuosly “consumed” their bottle on November 24th, 4 days prior to my receipt. But dhp. is a left coaster.

So, it could be a head fake, but a lot of players are not listing their locale or are diguising it.

I have one to guess so that’s what I’ll do. dhp., are you my SS?

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

Post #: 21
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:26:52 AM   
R. Weaver

So my guess is going to be chrisinsunnyside. I’m hoping the pictures will show up below. If not I will update with wine information.

Chris if it’s you thank you! What a treat to get not one, but two bottles. And more so to get ones I never knew existed and one apparently not even for sale to the general public. I’m guessing you made that one. Thank you for sharing the work of your hands. I look forward to sharing it with family and friends and when I do, I will also share the story of how it came to acquire it.

< Message edited by R. Weaver -- 12/8/2018 10:29:25 AM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 22
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:32:36 AM   
dhp.

Hah! Yes, i am your secret Santa! I didn't know my consumption history was public! I did change up my location as well (though I really did grow up on the left coast) and have been NYC based for several years.

Opening a bottle from my own cellar confirmed that it needed time (and that it's good), though it showed pretty well on day 2 after an overnight in the fridge. I saw on your CT profile that you were exploring French and Italian, but on the day that I shipped it, that blurb disappeared, and I was left with this nagging doubt that I had misremembered it all, hah. Hope you enjoy! Hopefully we'll all still be around when it's finally ready to open.

Post #: 23
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:33:34 AM   
R. Weaver

quote:

quote:

Well.. The Great Carnac doesn't give out his secrets. However, it COULD have something to do with the box stating that the shipper was: R. Weaver. But really, it was my psychic powers.

Seriously, a very generous gift which I really look forward to trying. I've never had Forman, so I'm excited to try it. Also, 2006 was the year my wife and I got married, so extra special. Merry Christmas to your and thanks again for the wonderful gift.

I was out of town and gave very specific instructions to my wife, but apparently they went unheeded. I hope she included the link to the podcast on Ric Forman, it’s worth a listen.

Post #: 24
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:35:02 AM   
Hollowine

I guess I'm going to go with the easy Guess, though my gut tells me it might not be him...Endodr, are you my SS?

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 25
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 10:56:21 AM   
Franklin 10

quote:

Hah! Yes, i am your secret Santa! I didn't know my consumption history was public! I did change up my location as well (though I really did grow up on the left coast) and have been NYC based for several years.

Opening a bottle from my own cellar confirmed that it needed time (and that it's good), though it showed pretty well on day 2 after an overnight in the fridge. I saw on your CT profile that you were exploring French and Italian, but on the day that I shipped it, that blurb disappeared, and I was left with this nagging doubt that I had misremembered it all, hah. Hope you enjoy! Hopefully we'll all still be around when it's finally ready to open.

Yes, in the side panel under Community Holdings, clicking the “Community” link shows 3 lists for those who allow viewing of their cellar: Holdings, Purchases (including vendor), and Consumption. That allowed me to link to your profile where I searched “Wine Consumed” which by default is listed in reverse chronological order. Voila!

Thanks again, I’m truly appreciative and will savor the wait. I hope your Christmas season is joyous.

Cheers!

the Empirate

-abra berens

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 26
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 11:09:55 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

I am not. But, based on a 2004 Basel Cellars, I have a pretty good idea who is.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 27
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 11:13:32 AM   
bdlsmo

Hi Hollowine,

My cellar is under bdlsmoran. Sorry about the confusion. Have fun guessing!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 28
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 11:15:23 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

Thank you to the head elves for organizing during their busy schedules!

Also, I give up on trying to insert images, there doesn't seem to be auto-resizing in the forum, nor a way to manually upload the image

The North Pole, eh?
https://imgur.com/C4b93tU

The reveal:
https://imgur.com/8k34ier

2013 Gramercy Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon! My first Washington Cab! Thank you very much Secret Santa, very excited to try it with several years of cellar time! My wife and I do enjoy our cabernet, AFWE or not! I actually really want to open this now, but will have to try and forget about it. Maybe I'll request for a not-so-ageworthy wine next time!

Now, I had done a little sleuthing this week, in that I looked up the tracking info to find that this package shipped from Minnesota, so perhaps the return address of "North Pole" was accurate indeed. Based upon this information, and a cellar inventory with a healthy amount of Washington wine, including those of Gramercy Cellars, my guess is... Wine Gopher! Are you my Secret Santa?

Yes, I am your SS. It is hard to pick just one favorite producer but Gramercy would certainly be in the conversation for me so I hope you like it. It will benefit from age but I'm sure it would be quite good now too. Now that I sent you this bottle, I will probably drink my other from the 2013 vintage in 2020 or 2021.

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 29
RE: Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas - 12/8/2018 11:26:22 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

... or they can read... That alone eliminates at least half of this crew.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2018 Reveal Day Thread - AFWE Santas Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI