CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Port Season is officially OPEN!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/20/2019 7:30:54 PM   
CranBurgundy

I'm declaring Port Drinking Season open as of today. The temps are dropping and it's getting dark earlier, making the thirst for Port stronger each night. 1986 Graham's Malvedos is in the new Reidel decanter, being the first fix to cure my jones.

Not sure how many dedicated fans are CT members, so let's use this thread as our clubhouse.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 10/20/2019 7:31:58 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23
Post #: 1
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 3:19:43 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

I don't know a lot about Ports. But I"m easily enabled.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 2
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 4:30:21 AM   
dontime

I'll jump in when the temps actually start dropping...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 3
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 6:46:13 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

I'll jump in when the temps actually start dropping...

Port season is as short as shipping season down there.

Turn the AC down to 58˚ one night while Carol is out of town.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 4
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 7:38:04 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

I'm declaring Port Drinking Season open as of today.

We officially started on 18 October.

Maybe I could call it the preview…

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 5
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 8:23:35 AM   
KPB

Awesome concept! I live further to the north, and the season started earlier for us. In the past few weeks we drank a Noval 1955 (it was over the hill, but so am I -- 1955 was my birth year -- so I'm not going to complain about it), a 1997 Dow VP that needed more time, and a 2003 Taylor that was just insanely delicious, young or not. You can find it surprisingly cheap these days -- I think I saw a bottle advertised for $59 a few weeks back. I should pick up another case or two.

But for the thread, I might open a 1985 Graham VP sometime soon. To me this is the absolute best port ever, and cheap, and mature now. Simply insane, and one of the best wine experiences available at a rather reasonable price. This runs more like $80 and I should buy more of it too. I've gone through maybe 10 cases of the stuff over the past 20 years and it just gets better and better...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 6
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 8:44:34 AM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Awesome concept! I live further to the north, and the season started earlier for us. In the past few weeks we drank a Noval 1955 (it was over the hill, but so am I -- 1955 was my birth year -- so I'm not going to complain about it), a 1997 Dow VP that needed more time, and a 2003 Taylor that was just insanely delicious, young or not. You can find it surprisingly cheap these days -- I think I saw a bottle advertised for $59 a few weeks back. I should pick up another case or two.

Ooh - I've got some of that 2003 Taylor buried somewhere. Is it really worth opening now?

Greg

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 8:47:56 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

We officially started on 18 October.

Maybe I could call it the preview…

No worries Phil. In galactic time scale terms you're only a nanosecond off.

quote:

a 2003 Taylor that was just insanely delicious, young or not.

2003 is my favorite vintage for LBV Port. Too early for regular Vintage Port IMO, although it's certainly delicious.

quote:

But for the thread, I might open a 1985 Graham VP sometime soon. To me this is the absolute best port ever, and cheap, and mature now. Simply insane, and one of the best wine experiences available at a rather reasonable price. This runs more like $80 and I should buy more of it too. I've gone through maybe 10 cases of the stuff over the past 20 years and it just gets better and better...

1985 Graham's is also a huge favorite, with at least a case left in the cellar. We're in total agreement on it being the best. While I seem to like my Port with a little more age, there's no denying '85 has the stuffing to eclipse some older vintages like 1966 and 1970.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 10/22/2019 8:52:17 AM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 8
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 9:39:27 AM   
KPB

Personally, I really think the 2003 Taylor is amazing right now, and I mean the actual VP (haven't tried the LBV). Obviously the wine is very young and in a way, I'm not thinking of it as a vintage port really, more as a sweet dessert wine. But if you want a sweet desert wine with, say, a decadent chocolate cake, this would be an awesome option to consider. It could be an interesting weird option with foie gras too, if you like foie gras and feel like experimenting...

I'm not even sure that this particular VP will be better at maturity (or that I'll be drinking VP by the time it really hits full maturity).

My view is that one can sometimes drink red wine with fish, sometimes can drink white wine with a steak, and sometimes can drink a VP quite young, but not every white wine, red wine or VP can work. This particular VP is unusually drinkable right now. The 1994 Fonseca on release was similarly approachable, for a while after they released it.

But drinking a young VP this way does seem to shock some people. You have to factor that in. It is not done. I personally have often done things that weren't done, at least at the time I did them, and have never really cared much for what other people say I should do (at least if it wouldn't directly harm or insult them), so basically I figure hey, it tastes awesome right now, might actually not even be this good at age 50, and anyhow, when this wine hits age 50, I myself will be 93 years old. Not saying I won't still be drinking VP, but I'm not going to squirrel a case to the side just on the bet!

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/21/2019 9:40:22 AM >

Ken Birman

Post #: 9
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 10:23:47 AM   
fasteddie35

Great idea ! I am IN !!! Will stand up a bottle and open later this week. Love Port ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 11:37:56 AM   
bacchus

I don't drink alot of port, and my cellar does not have great depth, but I do have a variety of '77 that are just now coming into their drinking window.

Question (if someone wants to turn it into a poll). Does port need such intense contemplation that it is best consumed alone or does it also beg for companionship on occasion?

How about the guys who brag about having a woman in every port? Uh oh, I hope the forum censor is asleep.

< Message edited by bacchus -- 10/28/2022 10:13:49 AM >

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 11
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 11:56:20 AM   
fingers

quote:

I'm declaring Port Drinking Season open as of today.

That's great news! I've been getting tired of almondmilk on my corn flakes

Post #: 12
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 12:15:56 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus

I don't drink alot of port, and my cellar does not have great depth, but I do have a variety of '77 that are just NW coming into their drinking window.

A great year, and there are many fans of 1977. If you enjoy a hint of vanilla in your Port, this is the vintage to drink.

quote:

Does port need such intense contemplation that it is best consumed alone or does it also beg for companionship on occasion?

Yes and no. Lunch today is the aforementioned '86 Graham's Malvedos with paté. Alone, this is an excellent nightcap. Paired like this, it's fantastic in a different way. The wine brings out another dimension of the paté, and the paté helps remove most of the alcohol heat.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 13
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/21/2019 8:15:24 PM   
khmark7

The 86 Graham's sounds familiar....but i just can't put my finger on it....

Definitely Porto season here. The nights are cold, dark & lonely here...so what's a man to do?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 14
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/22/2019 8:07:02 AM   
fasteddie35

Few things in life are better than a vintage port with a good cigar after a great meal in front of a roaring fire with special friends. Life is good ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/22/2019 1:02:13 PM   
bacchus

i was actually asking whether it should be enjoyed in solitude or in the company of others, like at an off-line.

A Country Gentleman

Post #: 16
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/22/2019 1:14:11 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

i was actually asking whether it should be enjoyed in solitude or in the company of others, like at an off-line.

There's only one issue with sharing a bottle at an offline: it's a higher alcohol content at the end of the night, after many other wines have been consumed already. Designated driver(s) usually required.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 17
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/22/2019 4:01:59 PM   
dontime

quote:

quote:

There's only one issue with sharing a bottle at an offline: it's a higher alcohol content at the end of the night, after many other wines have been consumed already. Designated driver(s) usually required.

Or designated beds...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

Post #: 18
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/23/2019 7:06:27 AM   
GalvezGuy

Love this. While I great prefer the caramel nuances of older ports there is nothing wrong with an occasional youngster. 2011 ports are drinking great and I think they are only going to get better. I will be long gone by the time I consider them mature enough to drink but I am glad I purchased some. If I am drinking younger ports then stanky blue cheese is a must with them.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 19
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/23/2019 8:23:06 AM   
hankj

Port season is open? That must mean Sauv Blanc Savings Time happened without my noticing!

Fall sweet red, spring Pessac (blanc)?

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 20
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/23/2019 10:18:03 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night, 1994 Taylor Fladgate VP. WOW ! Killer bottle ! Cassis, dark berries, chocolate and licorice. YUM ! The half bottle was filled with lots of sediment. But we all felt that it was ready to drink now. I hope we have more in the cellar... Cheers, Ed

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 21
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/23/2019 1:40:35 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: fasteddie35

Last night, 1994 Taylor Fladgate VP. WOW ! Killer bottle ! Cassis, dark berries, chocolate and licorice. YUM ! The half bottle was filled with lots of sediment. But we all felt that it was ready to drink now. I hope we have more in the cellar... Cheers, Ed

That is a very nice bottle Ed! The Fonseca from the same vintage is my all time favorite that I've tried (including an assortment of the good ones from earlier great vintages), but the '94 Taylor is very close to the top of my list too.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 22
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/25/2019 7:46:31 AM   
WineGuyCO

I LOVE Port but didn't have any room for it until we moved to CO. My wife needs to buy some furniture for our living room and then after that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my 7' x 7' by 8' tall storage room. In the meantime I can start storing some things in there.

Rick

Post #: 23
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/26/2019 4:23:00 PM   
jerry6

first year without any port in he house . Usually have a few bottles of Cabral 40 year tawny , nothing better when it sytarts getting cold

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 24
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/26/2019 5:19:42 PM   
Poppacork

I was an idiot and bought two bottles of the 2016 Taylor vintage port a few months back. How long do I have to live with these before they can be consumed?

(in reply to jerry6)
Post #: 25
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/26/2019 5:25:46 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

I was an idiot and bought two bottles of the 2016 Taylor vintage port a few months back. How long do I have to live with these before they can be consumed?

Thank goodness you're young...

I like mine with at least 40 years on them.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 26
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/28/2019 7:54:06 AM   
Poppacork

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

I'm not that young! Might be handing these down in my will.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 27
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/28/2019 4:30:46 PM   
jerry6

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

I'm not that young! Might be handing these down in my will.

that's where most my wines are going , to the next generation . most will not be ready to drink until 2040 and up , just hope the children grow to apprecite good wine . that or sell the bottles . i looked up prices on some of my 2009 and 201 wines and they are insane , some are well over 500.00 now

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 28
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/30/2019 7:55:22 PM   
mclancy10006

I really need to get to NYC and bring home some of my VPs. I have '75 and '85 Grahams in the off site, but only '07s at home which are not really ready.

-Mark

(in reply to jerry6)
Post #: 29
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/31/2019 3:31:24 PM   
KPB

On a rainy, chilly Halloween night, what could be better than a glass of a mature vintage port? Well, if the port is this one, nothing...

(this image is very similar to my bottle, but from CT.)

The 1970 Taylor is quite dark, with a satiny richness. The wine is in perfect health, and even at age 49, the rim is still pink with no hint of amber. What strikes me on the nose is the pomegranate fruit aromas and the spicy floral highlights, which literally leap from the glass. That spice is hard to pin down, but to me has notes of beeswax or canuba furniture wax, cloves, nutmeg, and perhaps walnuts. Sweet and mouth coating with a rich, long finish that reveals a rising note of acidity that gives way slowly to minerals and very smooth, polished tannins. Just a wonderful mature VP! 93pts.

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/31/2019 6:54:51 PM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI