CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Port Season is officially OPEN!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/31/2019 6:30:09 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

No idea why the URL isn’t working.

There can't be any spaces between each "image" bookend. Remove them after the ] at the end of the first one, and before the [ at the start of the last one:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Voila!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 31
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/31/2019 6:55:08 PM   
KPB

Thanks!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 32
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/1/2019 5:51:23 AM   
daviladc

I've got a 1967 "single harvest" from Taylor sitting around. Has anyone ever had it before? How does it compare to a traditional VP?

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 33
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/1/2019 6:10:42 AM   
ClausP

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

I've got a 1967 "single harvest" from Taylor sitting around. Has anyone ever had it before? How does it compare to a traditional VP?

Well, it's a colheita so it will have the usual tawny characteristics of caramel, candied citrus and molasses.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 34
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/1/2019 6:13:09 AM   
daviladc

Ahhh, thanks!

#Details

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 35
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/11/2019 4:39:55 PM   
KPB

Just opened a Taylor 1977 VP to help me survive the approaching polar vortex and blizzard. Amazing nose of red currents and white chocolate.. a bit spirity, but just awesome. I started drinking this back in 1995. 24 years later, not even changed...it will be immortal.

Ken Birman

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 36
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/9/2020 7:56:49 PM   
CranBurgundy

Dug this thread up to add the wonderful bottle of 1966 Wiese & Krohn's Colheita Port that I had over the holidays. Port Season is in full swing!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 37
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/9/2020 11:52:19 PM   
jonathanknowles

Ooh, I forgot about this thread.

My family helped drink one of these over Christmas.

1985 Symington Porto The Wine Society Exhibition Vintage

From the Wine Society's own information this is Smith Woodhouse in disguise.

Rich and fruity, very bright, slightly salty. Everyone enjoyed it. I'm not a port buff but I wouldn't have called it mature tasting, even at 35 years. I have two more bottles and won't be in a hurry to drink them.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 38
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/10/2020 8:59:21 AM   
hankj

Right now it's 35° in Seattle with moderate rain, and as I'm suiting up for my 35 minute bicycle commute (for some reason I've decided that If it's not icy I'm on the bike, period) I'm considering Port as a reason to walk out the door. I think 3 to 4 oz might get me to work today without falling over in a fit of hypothermia. And then I would need to bring some to survive the ride home, and clearly some extra so I don't sink into a funk in the middle part of the day when the morning Port has worn off.

Rereading this, doesn't seem like a good plan for staying permanently employed. Think I'll just man up this morning cold turkey and save the port for tonight ;-)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to jonathanknowles)
Post #: 39
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/10/2020 10:17:00 AM   
CranBurgundy

Hank: you just can't get caught with alcohol at work.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 40
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/10/2020 10:34:02 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Right now it's 35° in Seattle with moderate rain, and as I'm suiting up for my 35 minute bicycle commute (for some reason I've decided that If it's not icy I'm on the bike, period) I'm considering Port as a reason to walk out the door. I think 3 to 4 oz might get me to work today without falling over in a fit of hypothermia. And then I would need to bring some to survive the ride home, and clearly some extra so I don't sink into a funk in the middle part of the day when the morning Port has worn off.

Rereading this, doesn't seem like a good plan for staying permanently employed. Think I'll just man up this morning cold turkey and save the port for tonight ;-)

wuss

OP--shouldn't the tread be titled, "Port season is ALWAYS OPEN?"
(asking for a friend)

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 41
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/10/2020 2:39:58 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Hank: you just can't get caught with alcohol at work.

When I started in the advertising business in 1978, suspicion would fall upon you if you weren't drinking at some point in the day.

We had a fully stocked bar in the agency, one that rivaled some retail outlets I've been in.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 42
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/10/2020 5:27:19 PM   
khmark7

Just opened a NV bottle of Port styled wine from Fenn Valley in Michigan. I have no idea what grapes they used to make this, but it's rather refreshing and lighter styled. Goes well with dark chocolate.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 43
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/11/2020 7:09:46 PM   
CranBurgundy

Selection made for the upcoming week: Quinta das Carvalhas Reserva Tawny Port.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 44
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/12/2020 10:41:06 AM   
KPB

Awed by the wood-aged white ports from Andreson (they offer a 10, a 20, and a 40-year old). Incredible complexity... has me thinking how much we miss in the US by basically ignoring white ports!

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/12/2020 1:59:39 PM >

Ken Birman

Post #: 45
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/13/2020 4:03:57 PM   
CranBurgundy

Got myself a Lindt 78% cocoa dark chocolate bar and a chilled glass of NV Quinta das Carvalhas Reserva Tawny Port. That $765 repair bill is melting away....

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 46
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/13/2020 9:40:59 PM   
jonboy74

I have 2x 375ml of Miguels 1977 Colheita port. Should open it one of these days I suppose. Looks white. Never had white port. I'm afraid of the unknown.

Post #: 47
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/16/2020 2:04:18 PM   
MindMuse

Hmm, 12 decanters await.
Is mischief afoot?

< Message edited by MindMuse -- 1/16/2020 2:21:04 PM >

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 48
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/17/2020 3:30:37 PM   
MindMuse

Hello, Mr. Hersh.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 49
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/19/2020 3:00:25 PM   
MindMuse

A partial cross post of yesterday's Port tasting. (See page 674 of the "I Just Drank" thread.)

SATURDAY.
VINTAGE PORT.
Session led by Mr. Roy Hersh

Flight 1:

1945 Taylor
1955 Taylor
1963 Taylor
1970 Taylor

1934 Fonseca
1955 Fonseca
1963 Fonseca
1970 Fonseca

1945 Graham
1963 Graham
1970 Graham

1931 Noval (modestly corked, alas)

Interlude for Dinner at Marina Cafe:

Return for Ports tasting
Flight 2:

1977 Taylor
1977 Fonseca
1977 Graham

1985 Taylor
1985 Fonseca
1985 Graham

1994 Taylor
1994 Fonseca
1994 Graham

1992 Fonseca

Roy Hersh described the two part Port event every Port being served is considered a Legendary Port.
It was truly mind blowing. I am a grateful human for having experienced such magic.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 50
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 6:20:09 AM   
KPB

Wow, that is a nice lineup! I have had many of those bottles, but not all of the rare ones, and within that set, just once for most of them.

I will say that for me, port tastings are like anything else -- beyond three or four wines becomes more than I can really track and I leave it to those with better stamina to tackle these 20-bottle events. Still, it sounds like a once in a lifetime dinner!

Ken Birman

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 51
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 7:03:39 AM   
fingers

I’m only giving you 3 out 4 stars because there was no Dow!

Just kidding, what an amazing lineup and tasting. On a selfish and curious note, did Roy or anyone mention how Dow would compare to the other houses? I ask because I have more Dow than any of the others.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 52
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 7:50:39 AM   
KPB

Meanwhile, I've been comparing the 2003, 2011 and 2016 Taylor vintage port (I was just in Portugal where, ironically, I didn't drink much vintage port or do any real wine tastings except for whatever was available by the glass in the restaurants we ate in).

As everyone probably knows, 2016 was given off-scale reviews by Parker, who would have awarded 110 points if there was a way to do that. 2003 also was a 100 point wine for him. I think 2011 was 96 for him.

I don't like to give 100 pt scores to newly bottled wines, and in the case of VP "newly bottled" means "within a few years". But if I were going to do so, the 2011 is absolutely astonishing and would deserve that kind of score, for me. It has the richness and intensity of the best Taylor vintages, but in a remarkable balance, with just a hint of menthol that avoids it seeming monolithic. Drinking extremely well now, at age 8, but I think that in the time frame 2025-2035 it will be offscale and easily a genuine 100pt experience (for me, I'll call it 98pts right now).

2003 and 2016 are kind of a tie for me, once I sort through their relative age. Even after 16 years the 2003 is sweet and rich and hedonistic. It hasn't really changed much, and if it suffers relative to the 2011 this is because it is just a bit unstructured -- not flabby, but a tiny bit one-dimensional, with that dimension being sweetness (or maybe two-dimensional, and the second dimension being the velvet mouthfeel). 2016, in contrast, is like 2011 but with the volume, bass and treble cranked to the max: a bit too much in every way. Oddly, I think this says something about Bob Parker's palate: he is probably a little burned out on wines and ports and this issue of the wine being a bit too assertive is maybe not obvious to him. As people get older, that does happen -- someone commented on a different thread that their hearing and vision was a bit muted lately. Same for taste buds as you age. Call the 2003 97 right now, and the 2016 96, with the potential for both to hit maybe 98 at age 30?

I find it interesting that Taylor has shifted stylistically towards Graham's, by the way. It probably says something about the global sweet tooth -- we all have seen articles about sweetness in wines. Port producers have seen them too. To me a vintage port like the 1985 Graham's (my favorite mature port for a decade now) appeals precisely the way that dessert appeals, and I just love the stuff. If I think of the great classic Taylor VPs, like 1977 and 1970, as far as I can tell they were never as sweet as Graham's, or as rich in the mouth, as the 2003, 2011 and 2016. And similarly for Fonseca 1994: a rich, sweet style (that got 99 or 100 points on release, too).

Anyhow, if you have a love for sweet dessert wines, try any of these now. The 1985 Graham's and the 2003 Taylor are real bargains on wine-searcher. 2011 is only a little more costly and well worth owning if you plan to live for another 30-40 years to try it at maturity. And I should add that a hard to find rarity, 2016 Quinta S. Jose Vintage Port, is also worth finding if you can (I think only people in Europe have much chance). Lovely stuff, and again, a real bargain compared to the Taylor 2016...

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/20/2020 7:51:33 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 53
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 11:53:15 AM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Just kidding, what an amazing lineup and tasting. On a selfish and curious note, did Roy or anyone mention how Dow would compare to the other houses? I ask because I have more Dow than any of the others.

Roy did speak about Dow, which is same ownership as Warre's and Graham's and others. Graham's is considered on the sweet end of the spectrum for a house style, and Dow's is considered on the dry end for a house style.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 54
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 12:07:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Roy did speak about Dow, which is same ownership as Warre's and Graham's and others. Graham's is considered on the sweet end of the spectrum for a house style, and Dow's is considered on the dry end for a house style.

I can confirm that Dow's is less sweet than Graham's, if you'll take my limited experience in comparison. I've tried 1977 and 1985 side by side on different occasions.

ps - the owners are the Symington family.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 55
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 1:23:16 PM   
fingers

Thank you, Denni (is that plural for Dennis?) I did not know about that difference in character.

Post #: 56
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 2:13:00 PM   
KPB

The Taylor 1955 and 1970 are fantastic... hard to imagine a lineup like that.

Ken Birman

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 57
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/20/2020 3:47:18 PM   
CranBurgundy

If I had the money to fill my cellar with Port the way I'd like to, it would consist of 1966, 1970 and 1985 Graham's VP, with their 1986 Malvedos thrown in too. Maybe I'd buy some 1985 Dow also, but given my massive sweet tooth, plus accounting for palate degredation meaning the need for more flavor and sweetness later in life, I'd probably not appreciate Dow in the future as much as I did a few years ago.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 58
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/21/2020 10:54:29 AM   
KPB

I've tried the 1970 Grahams a few times but I find it a bit too attenuated for my taste -- very pale, fruit has faded and spirits can seem a bit hot and up-front. So for me, Graham's is best a bit younger -- I'm sure it would hold for 100 years, but the peak for me is this window the 1985 is in. I haven't tried the 1966

Ken Birman

Post #: 59
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/22/2020 6:14:07 AM   
khmark7

Anyone have any good recommendations on current releases of LBV Porto? Next time i'm at the store i am going to pick up a few bottles.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI