CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Port Season is officially OPEN!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/24/2020 8:27:06 AM   
ClausP

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Anyone have any good recommendations on current releases of LBV Porto? Next time i'm at the store i am going to pick up a few bottles.

Generally speaking I would go for the unfiltered LBV's, they are more complex even as newly bottled, and have ageing potential.

Rec's: Noval, Ferreira , Quevedo and Crasto.

Noval does both, make sure you get the unfiltered.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 61
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/24/2020 10:06:29 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClausP

quote:

Anyone have any good recommendations on current releases of LBV Porto? Next time i'm at the store i am going to pick up a few bottles.

Generally speaking I would go for the unfiltered LBV's, they are more complex even as newly bottled, and have ageing potential.

+1 to unfiltered - which leaves out some big names like Taylor Fladgate (unless they've changed recently).

My favorite LBV Port is Warre's.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 62
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/24/2020 4:34:16 PM   
khmark7

Had picked up a 2013 Churchhill's LBV, it's kind of lean & musty....not a good sign.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 63
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/21/2020 6:30:16 AM   
daviladc

Opened a 2000 Taylor Fladgate with friends this weekend. I purchased a case of 12 on release in the OWC and this is the first one I've opened. Not as viscous or grippy as I thought it would be. I'm interested to see what others have thought.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 64
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/21/2020 7:58:33 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

2000 Taylor Fladgate

I'm interested to see what others have thought.

2000? I think you opened it 20 or 30 years too early!

Also, viscous isn't something I've ever experienced with Vintage Port. Have you? If so, I'd be interested to know which Port(s) had that texture / quality.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 65
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/21/2020 8:06:04 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

2000 Taylor Fladgate

I'm interested to see what others have thought.

2000? I think you opened it 20 or 30 years too early!

Also, viscous isn't something I've ever experienced with Vintage Port. Have you? If so, I'd be interested to know which Port(s) had that texture / quality.

20-30 years too early? I don't know if I'll make it that far! ;-)

As for viscous, the 85 and 77 Dow I've had in the past jog my memory of a fuller mouth feel. I'm not looking for a "creamy" wine just a little more body. Then again, maybe it's been a while since I've had a Vintage Port.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

Post #: 66
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/21/2020 8:25:03 AM   
KPB

I don't know the 2000 but I often drink Taylor 20 or 30 years too early and I like them very much at that young stage! This obsession with drinking VP only at age 50 strikes me as a bit rigid. If it tastes awesome, who cares what the rules say?

The Taylor 2011 and 2003 are pretty awesome right now, to give some concrete examples.

Neither is really viscous, but they do have a somewhat chewy richness that certainly goes well beyond still red wine. To me this is part of the charm of a young VP

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 67
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/22/2020 6:57:37 AM   
ClausP

Obviously it comes down to how you prefer your VP,
generally speaking you can drink them until about 5-8 years of age and they will be very fruit forward and in your face.
After this they typically shut down for anywhere from 10-20 years, and then start entering what most people see as prime drinking from 30-50 years.

Current reviews on FTLOP seem to suggest that the '94s are slowly starting to open up, so without having tasted the 00 Taylor, I would guess that you are maybe 5-10 years early, and it is still in its "dumb" phase.

Personally I wont open anything with less than 30 years on it and this also reflects what I am byuing, so 2011 will be the last vintage I'm byuing.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 68
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/29/2020 8:20:15 AM   
fasteddie35

Half bottle of 1994 Fonseca Vintage Porto with a double chocolate brownie cake. A match made in heaven ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 69
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/16/2020 7:38:46 PM   
CranBurgundy

Let the games begin!

The first Port of the season: 1966 Kopke's Colheita. The aromas of butterscotch, caramel, and maple syrup are exactly what I expect, and enjoy, about aged Tawny! There's a little alcohol heat with this first glass (pop 'n' pour, filtered for sediment), but knowing how Vintage Port improves over a few days has me anticipating the rest of this week.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 70
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/17/2020 4:25:33 AM   
khmark7

About f'k time!!

Post #: 71
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 11/17/2020 7:53:10 AM   
WineGuyCO

I need to get some Port. Sadly, I don’t have a single bottle in the cellar. My family really likes Sauternes so that’s what I usually buy. Will be on the look out for some nice older Ports now because I love it.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 11/17/2020 7:54:37 AM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 72
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/4/2020 4:33:29 AM   
khmark7

Which stems do people use for their port wines?

Also, maybe a stupid question, but if you decant a port wine do you then pour it back into the bottle at the end of the night or just leave it in a decanter for an extended period of time?

Opened a Sandeman's Founders Reserve last night that didn't need a decant and was open from the beginning.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 73
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/4/2020 5:02:46 AM   
musedir

Karl, I'm using my antique wine stems just because... I decanted the 1997 Delaforce Porto Vintage Quinta Da Corte after the cork broke (actually 3 times), then washed out the bottle and returned the Port to the bottle. Good to see you last night.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 74
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/4/2020 5:28:35 AM   
CranBurgundy

I'm with Tom - sometimes I do several double decants, particularly for older Port, washing the bottle out each time. The first takes care of the larger chunks of sediment, and subsequent decants are for the finer powder. The second decant lasts MUCH longer than the first so the powder "clings" to the bottom of the decanter, making it easier to slowly pour the fluid back into the bottle cleanly.

As far as which glass, most times it's a Riedel Cabernet/Bordeaux bowl. Port is so aromatic that I don't need the enhancement on the nose that a Burgundy shape brings (like a Spiegelau Hybrid).

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 12/4/2020 5:30:24 AM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 75
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/4/2020 8:58:16 AM   
KPB

I use an INAO wine glass for vintage port and am really happy with the way they perform.

Ken Birman

Post #: 76
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/4/2020 1:26:04 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

Also, maybe a stupid question, but if you decant a port wine do you then pour it back into the bottle at the end of the night or just leave it in a decanter for an extended period of time?

No real rules Karl. If drinking solo (as is often the case) I tend to pour off into smaller vessels (250ml) with little air when capped, then put those in the fridge for a future week and then work off the 1/3 just in a decanter. If you choose to double decant back into the washed bottle, that is equally fine, you will just want to consume it more quickly as it is getting more air contact. I've zero issue just leaving in the decanter on the counter if I know I'm going to kill it in a couple of days, but I usually put in the fridge to slow it down some.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 77
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/5/2020 6:52:14 AM   
KPB

You will find that older vintage port (let’s say more than 25 years old) behaves like wine. On opening it often shows its alcohol and might seem a little short on the palate, not terribly aromatic, and perhaps even a tiny bit stinky. After six hours that same wine will be transformed completely, with any off aromas vanishing and the nose can just soar. I often find that on the second day a port is even better, just from the remaining half bottle or decanter. By the third day, you notice it getting a bit flabby.

Younger vintage port behaves more like young Napa Cabernet, and can hold in a bottle for a whole week while you drink a glass at a time.

And then the tawny styles will hold even longer. Those are oxidized to start with, and although they do fade over a timeframe of weeks, they can hold up well for a surprisingly long time, especially in a fridge. Madeira is even more resilient and can hold up in an open bottle for months.

Of course, a flawed bottle might seem more flawed as it has more time to breath. Fortunately, vintage port rarely develops extreme flaws in the bottle.

In fact, and for me this is odd, vintage port can even conquer some level of corking (TCA). You perceive it as minty but not moldy, at least if the level of the issue is modest. I often find corked wine undrinkable. With vintage port, that only happens one time in ten. Of course, I don’t put a score on my TN if the port was flawed that way, but often it can be quite good. The minty note kind of works well, although TCA also has a slight muting effect on the nose and palate. Anyhow, the key thing is that smelling mold on the cork is not a guaranteed disaster.

< Message edited by KPB -- 12/5/2020 7:11:32 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 78
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/5/2020 7:04:19 AM   
KPB

I should maybe add that the carafe versus bottle issue is sort of secondary to the cork issue. After age 10 or so and certainly by age 40 or 50, the cork is guarantees to have dried out and turned to powder, or reabsorbed liquid and turned to a kind of soft gunk, or developed serious TCA mood issues (which often will NOT have harmed the wine at all). So getting the cork out is a bit of an art, meaning that every experience is different, but not always in fantastic ways.

I find it helpful to use one of those fancy combined ah-so and screw devices (the Durand), but honestly, that only does the whole job one time in three, at best. So I usually have a clean wine strainer + funnel device (stainless steel, obviously... easy to find), or you could improvise with a clean metal tea strainer. Then you need a clean bowl, carafe, or even a clean empty wine bottle. You gently, slowly try to extract the cork, in a really steady, slow motion. If you get lucky, you are done, but keep it standing and handle it gently to avoid swirling any sediments up.

More often, it falls apart anyhow, and maybe some falls in. Without breaking a sweat you remove as much cork as you can from inside the neck, elegantly with your pinky finger or a paper towel, then wipe the inside with a moist paper towel to remove any TCA residue. Filter your VP into your container, then you can rinse the original bottle (don’t be alarmed by the huge amounts of black slime or gunk... VP deposits a lot of that stuff and it isn’t bad). You rinse the bottle with water, not soap, a few times, shaking vigorously.. Let as much water drip out as you can. Rinse the strainer, which will also have a bit of sediment now, and some fragments of cork. Then decant back into the bottle.

You stopper it with a clean cork or some other closure, and it doesn’t need to be tight. Port does attract fruit flies, though, so don’t leave it open.

< Message edited by KPB -- 12/5/2020 7:06:56 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 79
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/10/2020 6:58:41 PM   
CranBurgundy

A new pairing discovered on a whim: Colheita + Nutter Butter cookies.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 80
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 12/10/2020 7:41:34 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

A new pairing discovered on a whim: Colheita + Nutter Butter cookies.

POTD

Post #: 81
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 1/21/2021 6:46:10 PM   
khmark7

Drinking a Graham's 2014 LBV

Good stuff.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 82
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/5/2021 4:40:08 PM   
KPB

I have the 1994 Fonseca VP open... fantastic in a young style. Pomegranate fruit and white chocolate, dates, toffee... this will last for decades.

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 83
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/15/2021 4:20:21 AM   
khmark7

Was at the wine shop yesterday and looking at purchasing some vintage Port and the prices......yikes! I was thinking it was the new tariffs, but the prices were incredible. $60 for a 375 ml?? $110 for a 750 ml?? I didn't look at any other wines (to avoid temptation) but wow.....

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 84
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/15/2021 10:04:28 AM   
BenG

quote:

Was at the wine shop yesterday and looking at purchasing some vintage Port and the prices......yikes! I was thinking it was the new tariffs, but the prices were incredible. $60 for a 375 ml?? $110 for a 750 ml?? I didn't look at any other wines (to avoid temptation) but wow.....

You might have to hit the auctions.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 85
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/16/2021 2:47:03 PM   
Tricky99

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Awesome concept! I live further to the north, and the season started earlier for us. In the past few weeks we drank a Noval 1955 (it was over the hill, but so am I -- 1955 was my birth year -- so I'm not going to complain about it), a 1997 Dow VP that needed more time, and a 2003 Taylor that was just insanely delicious, young or not. You can find it surprisingly cheap these days -- I think I saw a bottle advertised for $59 a few weeks back. I should pick up another case or two.

But for the thread, I might open a 1985 Graham VP sometime soon. To me this is the absolute best port ever, and cheap, and mature now. Simply insane, and one of the best wine experiences available at a rather reasonable price. This runs more like $80 and I should buy more of it too. I've gone through maybe 10 cases of the stuff over the past 20 years and it just gets better and better...

Absolutely love port but it’s given me some migraines from hell over the decades - was worth it for the ‘45 Warres! Please tell me you don’t suffer from gout?

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 86
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/20/2021 8:55:54 AM   
mclancy10006

1985 Grahams VP. The official post snow shoveling beverage of 2021...

Good thing I have a bunch as we got a ton of snow this year for the coast.

Mark

(in reply to Tricky99)
Post #: 87
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/20/2021 9:08:38 AM   
KPB

It doesn't get better than that!

Ken Birman

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 88
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/20/2021 3:55:59 PM   
CranBurgundy

I'm on board too.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 89
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/25/2021 4:04:07 PM   
sastewart

77 Graham's from magnum last weekend...drinking very, very well and probably will for a long time.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI