CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Port Season is officially OPEN!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/25/2021 5:51:19 PM   
CranBurgundy

Scored a case of 2003 Warre's LBV Port, and picked it up today. Opening a bottle tonight!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 91
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/26/2021 7:27:30 AM   
KPB

My 2003 ports are already getting to a great place! Haven't tried the Warre's.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 92
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 2/26/2021 7:52:42 AM   
fingers

I’ve been working through a 2001 Cockburn Quinta dos Canais this week with a nightly cigar. A bit on the delicate/feminine side, but it is still just a baby and I think it will really blossom in another decade or so.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 93
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 3/1/2021 8:53:43 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night, double decanted and filtered a 1994 half of Taylor Fladgate VP. Then, had it with chocolate bread pudding with black cherries and whipped cream... What a combo !!! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 94
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 3/1/2021 11:47:47 AM   
KPB

That does sound great!

Ken Birman

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 95
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/22/2021 2:15:34 PM   
BenG

I know it's probably not port season anymore but I'm planning to finish off tonights meal with some 1996 Vesuvio VP and I started airing it for a few hours (poured a glass out of the bottle and left it open) for a few hours last night. Put the cork back in and on tasting it today, found it has a lot of alcoholic heat.

My questions are: - does the alcoholic heat settle down with more airing/decanting? Or perhaps I've already aired it out too much? Or will it always have this alcoholic heat no matter how long I cellar/decant/air it?

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 96
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/22/2021 3:48:48 PM   
mclancy10006

I find the heat burns off a bit with 6+ hours of decanting in general, but as with everything different bottles will behave differently.

Mark

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 97
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/22/2021 5:07:14 PM   
BenG

Cool. Thanks mclancy!

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 98
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/22/2021 5:08:57 PM   
KPB

Chilly tonight, so I decided to open something. I have a glass of the 2007 Quinta do Noval VP. Quite good but of course, very young. Blackish purple, with a nose showing sweet, concentrated blackberries, hints of spice, vanilla. Very approachable now, ripe sweet fruit, satiny tannins, long finish. I enjoy these young but the peak for this wine might be around 2040 (if not beyond...)

Ken Birman

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 99
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/30/2021 8:56:37 PM   
BenG

I know I'm still getting port season all wrong but am finally catching up with the in-laws after a much longer break than usual and they like port. Opened a Taylors LBV 2014 yesterday for them. It was pretty good. Tonight it is stunning! (Note to self - open it a day early).

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 100
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 5/31/2021 7:06:17 AM   
Ximenez

I have not paid too much attention to Port although I try a bottle occasionally but depending on the vintage, how many years does it take for a vintage Port to be in its 'sweet spot" to enjoy?

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 101
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/1/2021 7:53:22 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ximenez

I have not paid too much attention to Port although I try a bottle occasionally but depending on the vintage, how many years does it take for a vintage Port to be in its 'sweet spot" to enjoy?

For vintage port 25+++ years 30 is good and 40 is better. For tawny and LBV it does not seem to matter as much.
-Mark

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 102
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/1/2021 8:02:08 AM   
KPB

quote:

I actually enjoy some vintage ports quite young. It depends on the vintage, but you sometimes have a vintage like 2011 that gives very sweet, ripe wines, and for those vintage ports from Taylor, Fonseca and Graham are often extremely appealing right on release. (And it is not uncommon: 1994 gave such wines, 2003 did, 2016 also...)

But I agree that if you want the wines to have the more mature character that vintage port is most widely thought of for, you need to wait 25 or even 30 or 40 years. You can purchase mature bottles very easily at auction, though, and often quite cheaply. Look for the Graham 1985 for example -- a stunning and mature wine -- and I bet you'll find it for $95. Some places will try and get you to pay much more, but you can definitely find it cheaply.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 103
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/1/2021 8:37:09 AM   
Ximenez

mclancy10006 & KPB, thank you!

Found the 1985 W&J Graham Port nearby for $105.

< Message edited by Ximenez -- 6/1/2021 8:45:52 AM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 104
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/1/2021 10:41:28 AM   
KPB

Excellent! With a bottle like that, you will have issues pulling the cork -- this is just a given.

I use a thing call the Durand, but in fact you can do the same with an Ah-So (a two-pronged thing) and a thin spiral corkscrew like a screwpull. The issue is that the cork is nearly certain to be mostly shot -- either very dry and stuck to the neck of the bottle, or (equally bad) very soft and squishy with a consistency sort of like a heavy chocolate cake. Plus, the wet version might be very loose in the neck and ready to fall in at a touch.

So, you need:
1) A very fine strainer, such as a metal tea strainer.
2) A decanter, or a clean wine bottle, rinsed but allowed to drain so it is mostly dry.
3) Perhaps, a funnel.

You then attempt to extract the cork using your various tools. With luck only a small amount breaks loose and falls in. But 90% of the time the whole cork falls in, or a big part of it.

So, you are prepared, and gently pour through the strainer into the waiting decanter or bottle -- don't splash, just run it down the side. At the end you will find a great deal of sludge in the bottle, maybe an inch deep. Not worth trying to extract wine from that stuff -- just dump into the sink. I often rinse the VP bottle, get the remaining cork out, and then decant gently back into the bottle, so that I can serve it from the original bottle.

Let it settle if you were rough and managed to stir up a cloud of sediment -- port shouldn't be cloudy.

You'll find that the first night, the port is sort of "spirity" like a cocktail, but that the second night it is totally transformed and has an amazing open nose, and is much more integrated. Then by day four it will slowly start to sag, and best to finish it by the end of day five (in my case usually by the end of day three).

Port can be corked, which is just life. The cork would smell musty, as usual, but the port itself might not actually reek of TCA. Oddly, a corked port often seems a bit muted, and may seem to have a minty note on the nose, but actually can be fine to drink. Still, if you pick up a strong aroma of laundry room or mushrooms on the cork, your bottle probably won't be at the level it should have been. And if it has so much TCA that you actually can taste the port as being corked, well, sometimes luck just isn't with us in this wine thing.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 105
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/1/2021 1:22:15 PM   
Ximenez

Thanks KPB. I do have a two-pronged thingy and with a little patience I hope to uncork the Port in it's sweet spot.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 106
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/3/2021 10:20:06 AM   
fasteddie35

Enjoyed a 1990 Dow's Quinta Do Bomfin Vintage Port Monday night for dessert with a chocolate tart. Really quite good. Not too dark in color, but medium sweet with a carmel nose. Decanted 5 hours before drinking. Opened up even more during dessert. Drink them now if you have any in your cellar. Cheers. Ed

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 107
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 6/3/2021 9:57:10 PM   
Paul852

quote:

Thanks KPB. I do have a two-pronged thingy and with a little patience I hope to uncork the Port in it's sweet spot.

In the absence of a Durand (well worth the US$22 I paid for mine; OK so it's an OEM branded from a local dsitributor), then this video from Marc Hochar shows how to use a two prong opener with a corkscrew to achieve the same effect more or less. what works for old Chateau Musar works for old port.

https://youtu.be/X9hxZ5ay5Dg

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 108
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 7/19/2021 9:03:12 AM   
fasteddie35

1952 Donaldo Port, my birth year. Tired, but not gone. It was a real treat from a friend. Very grateful !!! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 109
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/29/2021 8:19:46 AM   
Paul852

So I am far from a connoisseur of port, but this week we have been enjoying a bottle of 2000 Quinta do Vesuvio. Only ~US$58, so not the most expensive of vintage ports, and while it was very smooth, with a little interest developing on days 2 and 3, it was perhaps a little sweeter and short on complexity compared to what I expected/hoped for.

Am I simply drinking this 10 years too early?

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 110
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/29/2021 9:18:01 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

Am I simply drinking this 10 years too early?

More like 15 or 20.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 111
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/29/2021 7:17:50 PM   
khmark7

Given our weather the opening of Port season has been delayed. Technical difficulties to hopefully be resolved soon.....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 112
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/30/2021 4:31:33 AM   
KPB

Paul, see if you can find the 1985 Graham Vintage Port. Should cost you no more than $110 US.

Ken Birman

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 113
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/30/2021 7:43:19 AM   
Paul852

I can indeed get it for ~US$96 from one of my occasional suppliers, which would make it one of the most expensive bottles of wine that I've ever bought (retail not restaurant), but worth a try just to see what I'm missing (albeit that the latest TN in CT says "nowhere close to fully mature"). How would you recommend I handle it? Upright for a day or two, decant off the sediment, then good to go immediately, or needs some air?

EDIT: ah - that's what Wine Searcher told me, but when I drill down it is pre-order and in any case out of stock.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 10/6/2021 10:31:24 PM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 114
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 9/30/2021 8:13:37 PM   
KPB

The main issue will be the cork. Likely to have dried out.

Have a clean tea strainer handy, and a rinsed bottle or decanter, so if the cork crumbles you can double strain the port .

Best on days 2-4

< Message edited by KPB -- 9/30/2021 8:14:10 PM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 115
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/27/2022 4:28:04 AM   
khmark7

Opened my first port for the season. A bottle from Fennville Winery in Michigan which is quite good. This is my 3rd bottle from them and it is made from some old French hybrids that grow well in the area. Paired a glass with dark chocolate almonds on my birthday.

I need to go purchase some daily drinking Ports when i next visit the LWS. I feel guilty opening a vintage Porto on a Wednesday....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 116
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/27/2022 5:41:15 AM   
WineGuyCO

I need to buy some Port as sadly I don’t have a single bottle in the cellar. My son and wife are in Porto Portugal right now. He asked me which ones I liked and got me thinking about buying some. For sure Port weather here in CO.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 117
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/27/2022 8:46:01 AM   
ClausP

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

I need to buy some Port as sadly I don’t have a single bottle in the cellar. My son and wife are in Porto Portugal right now. He asked me which ones I liked and got me thinking about buying some. For sure Port weather here in CO.

Porto is probably one of the most expensive places in the world to buy port. I would urge you to use winesearcher and see what typical US prices are on the bottles you would like and tell him not to pay way in excess of that.

The IVDP shop generally have ok prices especially the bottles they have at a discount.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 118
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/27/2022 7:42:58 PM   
KPB

The fun thing in Porto is to see which young VPs they are pouring in restaurants and wine bars, try those, and bring back favorites. They won’t be famous bottles, but you can find real discoveries that way.

Ken Birman

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 119
RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! - 10/28/2022 6:59:23 AM   
WineGuyCO

Thanks Claus. I just sent him a text on this. They are at Taylor Flagate right now. Never knew about white Chip Port. Learned something new today.

Ken..Great idea. I texted him that too. Thank you both.

They have another week left in Portugal split between Porto, Lisbon & Algarve my wife and I need to go back to Portugal. It’s been way too long.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Port Season is officially OPEN! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI