CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/9/2020 11:23:48 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

Try Champagne (or Prosecco) instead of the gin ... called a Sbagliato, it is much lighter. Great brunch or mid-day cocktail.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I like a Negroni now and then, but my wife finds them too strong, so it is a pretty rare event.

Yeah this is a nice drink, good one for summer parties too mixed by the small pitcher

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 31
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/11/2020 3:19:56 PM   
musedir

Classic Angel’s Envy Rye Manhattan while the rainstorm rages and severe weather threatens. About time to start prepping dinner. Braised chicken breasts in a mushroom and onion cream sauce with brown rice, served with some broccoli florets. A Milbrandt Riesling will be poured.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 32
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/14/2020 11:00:30 AM   
Jenise

I'm the mixologist in our house, to the extent cocktails occur. Which is not often, but still a big uptick from zero when in a wild moment four years ago I ordered a Negroni at Spago in Maui and discovered I loved it. So we went from "What's Hendricks?" to owning six bottles of different gins and cocktail-purpose only vermouths. I've been experimenting with variations of 1/3 vermouth, 1/3 some kind of amaro, and 1/3 hooch, and have had great success.

And last week I made my first Manhattans, a drink I never thought I'd be able to stomach after consuming four of them at my first office Christmas party when I was underage and inexperienced, resulting in a near-rape and three day hangover. :)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 33
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/14/2020 12:18:55 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Made this punch for a party recently. It was better received than I thought, got my neighborhood pleasantly sloshy.

Super easy "bottle dumper" too, 30 seconds to do the whole batch.

Pour onto large icecubes in a punchbowl:

1 part (aka 750ml bottle) Silver Tequila

1 part (unfortunately named) Triple X Fusion mango / passion fruit / blood orange liqueur

1 part cranberry juice

1 part pomegranate juice

Float some lime rings
This is a Margarita. We learned in Mexico the basics of Tequila and drinking it neat, while very good with a good version, seems like a good way to kill oneself. Margaritas usually use lime juice but any tart fruit, cran/pom here, would work well along with fruity liqueur.

We brought back 4 fifths of Silver/Blanco from a tourist trap in Puerto Vallarta, but it is good. I drank a shot at home last night to confirm it wasn't just "tasting room" good. I'll be testing a few recipes to try to avoid drinking it all neat. Barb also got some flavored tequilas, but they were already too sweet, imo.

Our recent cocktail standard has been bourbon/rye/Jack with Ginger beer garnished with Orange. I call the Jack version a Tennessee Mule. I've seen prepackaged version of a bourbon mule, so I guess I didn't invent it. Not sure when the trend of Ginger Beer started, but is seems to be everywhere nowadays. Similar to old time ginger ale, but stronger ginger flavor is about all I can tell as different.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 34
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/15/2020 11:19:19 PM   
recotte

In the name of science, I purchased a bottle of Cocchi Americano to try MaineMark's Vesper. I've sampled several (over the course of multiple days, lest anyone think I'm capable of drinking four martinis at one go), and I have to say... they're really good!

I've made them with either Plymouth or Sacred Spirits gin, Beluga vodka and the Cocchi Americano. I think that the Plymouth gin version (regular, not the Navy Strength) was my favored one.

So, given that the Cocchi Americano comes in a 750ml bottle and the Vesper only calls for a 1/4 ounce per drink, does anyone have any other cocktail recommendations for it? My liver can't handle that many martinis!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 35
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/16/2020 7:55:01 AM   
MaineMark

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

In the name of science, I purchased a bottle of Cocchi Americano to try MaineMark's Vesper. I've sampled several (over the course of multiple days, lest anyone think I'm capable of drinking four martinis at one go), and I have to say... they're really good!

I've made them with either Plymouth or Sacred Spirits gin, Beluga vodka and the Cocchi Americano. I think that the Plymouth gin version (regular, not the Navy Strength) was my favored one.

So, given that the Cocchi Americano comes in a 750ml bottle and the Vesper only calls for a 1/4 ounce per drink, does anyone have any other cocktail recommendations for it? My liver can't handle that many martinis!

Excellent! All of the scientists here on the forum appreciate your efforts, and I know I personally look forward to testing and replicating your results (in the name of science, of course).

It is interesting and good to know that the Cocchi Americano made enough of a difference over the Lillet to make you a convert!

As for the remaining Cocchi Americano... I feel your pain. Adding to the pain of the small amount used, it is supposed to be refrigerated, and supposedly goes bad after 2-4 weeks. (https://www.bonappetit.com/story/alcohol-you-need-to-refrigerate).

And, that leads me to a separate rant... why isn't it easier to buy Vermouth and things like Cocchi Americano in much smaller sizes? I would rather pay $8-$10++ for 187ml of CA, than $20 for a 750ml, where I have to throw away most of it... argh... I like a martini, but how much vermouth (or CA) can I really use in that timeframe!??

But, to your questions... CA seems to be a "hot" item these days in craft cocktails. I used some in one of my other recipes I posted back at the start of this thread (the Downeaster, which has a blueberry sparking wine, Bluet, that may be harder for you to find...). A quick google search of "cocchi americano cocktails" yielded a plethora of yummy sounding alternatives....

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 36
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/16/2020 1:08:46 PM   
brettlaurvick

quote:

not the Navy Strength

Naval Strength gin is like drinking hydrochloric acid. I shivered a little when I read your post.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 37
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/16/2020 2:09:06 PM   
oskiwawa

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

Cocchi Americano

not sure it is any better for your liver but I would try out a white Negroni

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 38
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 1/16/2020 2:46:19 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaineMark

As for the remaining Cocchi Americano... I feel your pain. Adding to the pain of the small amount used, it is supposed to be refrigerated, and supposedly goes bad after 2-4 weeks. (https://www.bonappetit.com/story/alcohol-you-need-to-refrigerate).

And, that leads me to a separate rant... why isn't it easier to buy Vermouth and things like Cocchi Americano in much smaller sizes? I would rather pay $8-$10++ for 187ml of CA, than $20 for a 750ml, where I have to throw away most of it... argh... I like a martini, but how much vermouth (or CA) can I really use in that timeframe!??

I completely agree with your rant! I'd even take a 375ml over the 750! As it is, there's no way that the majority of the bottle isn't going to be wasted. Fortunately, the Vermouths I normally purchase (Dolin dry for martinis, Carpano for a good Manhattan) do come in half bottles, but I like your idea of a 187ml even better.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 39
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/11/2021 8:00:03 AM   
DoubleD1969

In this past week, a couple of gin-based Negronis and Bees Knees.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 40
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/17/2021 8:44:38 AM   
lockestep

My go to cocktail is also one that uses Americano - Corpse Reviver #2.

Wash a glass with Absenthe.
In a shaker combine ice and one ounce each of:
Gin (I use Plymouth Navy Strength)
Cointreau
Cocci Americano
Fresh lime juice.

Shake for 15-30 seconds, pour into washed glass.
Get revived.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 41
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/19/2021 4:28:49 PM   
DoubleD1969

Margarita with Casamigos Tequila Blanco, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice and simple syrup

showing off

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 42
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 12:36:25 AM   
Paul852

Last evening got off to a good start with a round of gin dirty martinis, followed by a round of Shafts (large measure of gin, equal amount of aperol, add ice and dilute with prosecco as desired, garnish with a twist of orange peel.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 43
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 4:58:02 AM   
MaineMark

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Margarita with Casamigos Tequila Blanco, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice and simple syrup

showing off

Consider swapping out the simple syrup for Agave Syrup. Then, IMHO, you will have the perfect margarita.

Post #: 44
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 8:25:51 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Roku means 6 in Japanese.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 45
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 9:13:20 AM   
bretrooks

We don't make a lot of cocktails - maybe one every week or two - but lately they've been Vespers. We've been playing around with the proportions a little, but I haven't come to a favorite version quite yet. And yes, the Cocchi Americano seems like it's going to be taking up space in the fridge for a while.

When not making those, we tend to default to Manhattans (for me) and Negronis (for my wife), although in warmer weather we'll shift to G&Ts, with the occasional mule or martini in the mix.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 46
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 10:52:02 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaineMark

quote:

showing off

Consider swapping out the simple syrup for Agave Syrup. Then, IMHO, you will have the perfect margarita.

Done!

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 47
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 11:25:34 AM   
Blue Shorts

I make a similar margarita, but instead of the simple syrup, I use Cointreau......YUM. I also usually used Don Julio Blanco tequila, but that's just personal preference.

Post #: 48
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 3:57:29 PM   
desertwine

I've mentioned it before, but here goes again
DanHatten:
2 parts bourbon
1 part scotch
1 part drambuie
1/2 part sweet vermouth
bitters
Shake with ice and pour neat
Definitely don't want more than a couple!!

My backup plan - drink a wine I know will be good!

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 49
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 4:15:25 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

I make a similar margarita, but instead of the simple syrup, I use Cointreau......YUM. I also usually used Don Julio Blanco tequila, but that's just personal preference.

Cointreau is what the recipe had, but I only had GM.

Post #: 50
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 4:30:59 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Cointreau is what the recipe had, but I only had GM.

Thanks for mentioning that....I forgot to mention that I add a splash Grand Marnier on top. So it's:

2 oz Tequila Blanco, 3/4 oz fresh lime juice, 1 oz Cointreau and a splash of Grand Marnier on top,

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 4/20/2021 4:34:30 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/20/2021 5:17:24 PM   
WineGuyCO

None right now as I am Day 7 on the wagon from our Florida Trip. Decided to go 18 days until May Day. On May 1 I am planning on a Manhattan in some new clear Martini glasses I just bought at Crate & Barrel recently. I just need those good Italian berries that the local Wine Shop has. $20 for a small jar of these suckers but boy are they good. Also a big fan of Old Fashions but given the choice aManhattan has a slight edge. Sazerac is another favorite.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 52
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/21/2021 2:55:40 PM   
GalvezGuy

Been on an Old Fashioned kick lately. Luxardo Maraschino Cherries make a huge difference IMHO.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 53
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 9:56:06 AM   
bacchus

VINOCCINO (tm)

A Country Gentleman

Post #: 54
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 1:00:09 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Been on an Old Fashioned kick lately. Luxardo Maraschino Cherries make a huge difference IMHO.

THOSE are the ones. HUGE difference. I like two.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 55
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 3:09:17 PM   
Ximenez

Since tasting my first Negroni last month, I've been having them, but I need to find a better vermouth.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 56
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 3:25:44 PM   
DoubleD1969

Which gin and vermouth are you using?

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 57
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 5:25:44 PM   
Ximenez

DoubleD1969, Bombay Sapphire and Dolin.

Post #: 58
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/22/2021 6:57:18 PM   
DoubleD1969

I use Carpano’s Antica Sweet Vermouth. I read somewhere that it should be stored in the fridge and consume in a month or so because it is essentially wine that’s been fortified.

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 59
RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? - 4/23/2021 3:53:26 AM   
Ximenez

quote:

I use Carpano’s Antica Sweet Vermouth. I read somewhere that it should be stored in the fridge and consume in a month or so because it is essentially wine that’s been fortified.

Thanks DoubleD1969, I will look for the vermouth and try it.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: What Cocktail Are You Drinking? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI