CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/2/2021 2:09:35 PM   
Tricky99

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Did somebody say Moulin Touchais? I've got '81, '82, '85, and '96 in a Danby waiting for this pandemess to be done so we could have it at an offline. Brian - ever plan on coming back to Philly? We had fun the last time you were here. It was you who brought the Three Kings, correct?

Some good choices there - my personal picks would be the ‘85 & ‘96. Enjoy.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 61
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/2/2021 3:22:50 PM   
Sourdough

Definitely a Chenin fan. Not sure I would say I prefer it over Chard but I consider it a peer. While I have had wonderful CB from around the world, the ones that rock my world are the dry to lightly off dry Loires, and particularly Montlouis sur Loire and Sauvenniere. I keep looking for a Steen that IMO compares and h ave yet to find one.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 62
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/2/2021 5:42:54 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

I know nothing about the more recent vintages. How were 2018 and 2019?

The "Jim's Loire" blog would probably have answers, but his stuff is so detailed and focused it might take hours of reading to discover a broad answer.

I just read the harvest report from Domaine Huet as Stephen Reinhardt included it in his reviews of the 2019 Huet's. Apparently it was a very mild winter, a very hot summer with no rain, and then an excellent September. As a result, they did not make any sweet wine in 2019, and quantities are down. Stephen rated almost all the wines they did make very highly.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 63
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/2/2021 8:23:13 PM   
BenG

I've brought these posts over from the other thread. I hope the posters don't mind (let me know if it's a problem) -

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tannic Monster

Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley makes some of the best dessert wines on the planet. I absolutely love Domaine Des Baumard Quarts De Chaume. Just had a 2005 the other night and it was heavenly. It is about $35 for a .375 giving it fantastic QPR. Everyone needs to try one of these whatever vintage you can find.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

Agreed, for Loire Chenin you might also look at the entire range of Huet. They produce a full range of chenin based wines from sparkling (Petillant) through dessert from 3 distinct vineyards.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

QdC lasts and lasts. Consider also Huet for the full range of sweetness to dry

At the value end of the spectrum, M.A.N. Family chenin (Steen in SAfrica) is widely available at less than $10, consistently outperforming.

From the US, Wa is just starting to produce some interesting small quantities so probably not widely available. Dry Creek occasionally produces a nice one in Ca at a fair price

quote:

Besides Huet and Baumard Quarts De Chaume, I'd also recommend looking at J.C. Pichot. Their les Larmes de Bacchus is my favorite dessert Vouvray, and their le Peu de la Moriette is one of the best values in off-dry / demi-sec Vouvray you'll find.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum
The main areas for CB are the western Loire and South Africa.

For dry whites, South Africa is where you'll find the best value. Look for wines from old bushvines. Also doesn't need as long aging as the Loire version, though it certainly ages well, if you get ones that are sufficiently good. But, for me, more interesting still are their CB-based blends, where they put all sorts of stuff in. Roussanne, the top Rhone variety, is a common and excellent addition, as Rhone varieties do very well in South Africa. But you'll see semillon, grenache blanc, chardonnay, verdelho, viognier, sauvignon blanc, all sorts of stuff, often several of them. Results in diverse and interesting drinking.

Like Tannic Monster, I was first entranced by sweet Loire CB. But there's only so much sweet wine you can drink, and I slowly graduated to the drier styles. Also the sweet ones benefit from very long aging, which means you buy and have to wait a long time. So I also lost patience. But to avoid the wait, a useful producer is Moulin Touchais, who doesn't release wines until they are ready to drink. This can be 25 years after the vintage. And remarkably good value. But quality dry Loire does generally benefit from several years aging, I usually won't open until at least 7, and has the potential to last on the same timescale as riesling.

Recommending Huet isn't far removed from saying "Latour is a reliable producer in Bordeaux". There are many other good growers. Jacky Blot is the leading grower in Montlouis, which is a bit less fashionable, and also relatively new on the scene, so prices are rather lower. He also makes top quality Vouvray, which is just the other side of the river. But because his chai is in Montlouis, so absurdly restrictive are the local rules that he has to label it vin de table. That's like telling Comte Lafon that his Volnay has to be called vdt because his chai is in Meursault. Savennieres is another absolute top appelation for dry CB, and worth exploring, though top ones are quite expensive.

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb
Hi Ben,

Taking each in turn ...

Sparkling: I've never had an amazing sparkling Chenin, and I don't know anyone who has. Huet's sparkler is the "best" I've tried, and it struck me as "fine" --- basically a really nice $18 - $25 sparkler that I might be able to find at the grocery store --- but I thought it overpriced. I've had moderate success buying random "sparkling Vouvrays" in the $20 - $25 price range: if you choose to do that, just understand you're getting a very nice/usable example appropriate for its price range. There will be some duds. Overall, I don't buy in this category.

Sweet: I don't truly like the flavor profile of sweet Chenin*, so I'm the wrong guy to ask here.
* perhaps this a little bit of a lie because I've actually had many that I like; more accurately, it's not among my preferred sweet wines.

Dry: This is where Chenin can be crazy-good. A quick word about my personal preferences, which necessarily influences my opinions: I like dry, acidic, fruity wines with mineral aspects.

Old World v. New World:
For my preferences, Old World all the way, with the occasional surprise elsewhere. New World examples have generally been too fruity or alcoholic, and sometimes a bit sweet. Old World examples tend to be leaner, more focused, and much easier to drink.

Aged vs. Not Aged:
Haven't really figured that out yet. I've bought a fair amount over the past couple years in an effort to put some age on a few. They are so incredibly delicious young, however, that I find it difficult to keep my hands off them.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 64
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 12:50:14 AM   
grafstrb

I don't mind at all, Ben. I started this thread because I didn't want to (1) derail that other thread and (2) stifle what would otherwise be great conversation by doing (1).

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 65
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 12:54:19 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

I think that Chenin from Vouvray in general ages very slowly. Here are a couple of notes from a weekend with friends in 2019.

2003 Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Moelleux
Pear, nice minerality and a touch of quince on the nose. Full bodied, with ripe stone fruits. This is surprisingly light on its feet and nicely balanced for a 2003. Purchased at the winery and cellared at 55. This wine still has plenty of time. Solid 92 points

2005 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu
Beautiful wine. Served blind others thought much younger than 14 years. Pretty nose with nice minerality and white fruits and maybe just a touch of honey. Early maturity 92 points

We have also had quite a few Baumard including Savennieres, Coteaux du Layon, and Quarts de Chaume which I think are good but a level below Huet. I have less experience with Coulée de Serrant but I must say the bottles I've had from Nicolas Joly have been fantastic!

Both of those sound nice. I've also experienced some slow-aging sweet Chenins; I'm particularly intrigued by the 2005 Huet sec showing.

One of those slow-aging sweet Chenins was one you mentioned! the Baumard Coteaux du Layon --- the Cuvee Paon --- 2005 vintage, sometime within the past few months. It was excellent, and showing youthful.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 66
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 12:56:14 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

2015 Domaine du Collier Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (1/3/2021)
-- popped and poured --
-- tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours --

NOSE: fresh lily; honey; candle wax; strong honey note; medium-light apple aspect.

BODY: medium golden yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; tastes a lot like Arcadian's Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay (and, in fact, that is *exactly* what Ashley guessed when I gave this to her blind) -- it is a bit less rich, perhaps, than the Arcadian Chard; quite ripe; kiss of oak (a pretty big kiss, really); hint of hay on the finish; a bit creamy/lactic; 13% alc. is well-hidden. This was more ponderous than I was expecting, given the vintage and the producer's reputation. Very nice, but I'm on the fence about it being worth the money.

50, 5, 12, 16, 8 = (91 pts.)

Oh yes -- I have some of the 2014 of this -- I think initially as part of a CT secret santa gift a few years ago. Really fantastic. And I have three sleeping.

Here is my most recent note on it: 93 Points
This is such a lovely wine. Wonderful tropical fruits. Some lanolin this time which I don’t think I noticed last time. Lovely zippy acidity. And it all holds together so nicely. I need to keep my hands off the others for a while to see where this goes. Lots of life still here. Such a great find from my 2018 CT Secret Santa.

Your note sounds more in line with what I was expecting from my bottle. And that's a really sweet Secret Santa gift!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 67
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 2:20:34 AM   
Eddie

A few years back a local store here had a whole bin of 2006 Quarts de Chaume on bin-end for about $22. I bought a couple. I tried one and was underwhelmed as it seemed to lack acidity and was thus a bit flabby. However, after doing some research, I decided I had consumed it too early. I've got to figure out where that other bottle is....we're having some friends over for a Loire tasting this weekend.

Edit: I just realized I gave it away as a gift in 2019.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 2/3/2021 3:35:33 AM >

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 68
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 2:20:42 AM   
ROEL

Funny how Moulin Touchais keeps popping up in this thread.
Moulin Touchais was actually my first encounter with Chenin Blanc. This must have been in 1988 or 1989, jut after I got my first job. I found a couple of bottles at a local retailer. They stood out a bit because they usually sold the generic stuff and this also had a lot more age on it. If I recall correctly I bought a bottle of 1969, 1971 and 1976. They really impressed me but somehow I didn't cross paths with Moulin Touchais again after that, until I found some 2005 not long ago. Will have to keep my hands off those for a couple of years...

In a completely different style (CB is very versatile after all), but also impressive was a bottle of Fabien Jouves (Mas del Périé), Les Pièces Longues I had recently. A Vin de France from Cahors of all places (CB is not allowed under the AOC regulation)

< Message edited by ROEL -- 2/3/2021 2:54:04 AM >

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to Tricky99)
Post #: 69
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 2:55:47 AM   
penguinoid

I'm a bit late to this thread, as I've been an infrequent visitor lately. Chenin blanc is one of my favourite grapes. I'm not sure I'd say I prefer it to Chardonnay, though I'd have difficulty picking an overall favourite or even rating them in order of preference.

I've mostly tried French examples, though not yet Huet or Nicolas Joly. Savennières in general is my favourite, especially with some age, but is hard to find here. I had a very nice 1999 Papin-Chevalier Savennières Clos de Coulaine for Christmas, which was maybe a bit outside its drinking window (almost too old?) but still drinking very nicely.

I haven't tried many South African examples yet, as South African wines aren't readily available in Australia for whatever reason. I know there are some Australian producers, but Kalleske is the only one I've found that I like — so far. I've heard that some Australian producers are now making pretty decent wines from it, so I guess I should make more effort to seek them out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

One of the issues w/ Washington is that this is seen as a rather obscure variety and very few vineyards grow it, I think I read down to less than 20 acres in production. One of vineyards Orr used, Rothrock, ripped out their Chenin block. It had also been source for a Full Pull Block Wines Chenin I sucked down in short order a while ago.

From what I've read it's a difficult grape to produce, viticulturally speaking — it tends to ripen very unevenly. Most good Loire producers will harvest in tries, selecting the bunches or berries that are at the desired ripeness level. I guess producers may not want to put in the effort required if it doesn't sell well — and it's not exactly a well known grape

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

Post #: 70
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 8:48:30 AM   
Old Doug

Moulin Touchais - Coteaux du Layon. I had never heard of it, and this was almost ten years ago when I joined CellarTracker, but I sure liked the name. So many pretty letters there, and it sounds nice. And it was really not too expensive - I got three bottles and my wife and I both loved them. Sucking at CT, I didn't save any tasting notes, and now I don't remember the vintage, and I'd forgotten about the whole thing. Just checked on prices and they're still pretty reasonable indeed. For the price, really a pretty elegant thing.

1989 Domaine Huet Vouvray Cuvée Constance - now this one, though - this was beautiful, extraordinary, truly stunning. I've never given a wine 100 or 99 points, but I shoved 98 toward this one. I wish I could relive that day...

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 71
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 10:01:30 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid
quote:

One of the issues w/ Washington is that this is seen as a rather obscure variety and very few vineyards grow it, I think I read down to less than 20 acres in production. One of vineyards Orr used, Rothrock, ripped out their Chenin block. It had also been source for a Full Pull Block Wines Chenin I sucked down in short order a while ago.

From what I've read it's a difficult grape to produce, viticulturally speaking — it tends to ripen very unevenly. Most good Loire producers will harvest in tries, selecting the bunches or berries that are at the desired ripeness level. I guess producers may not want to put in the effort required if it doesn't sell well — and it's not exactly a well known grape
This is interesting, and makes sense with respect to why growers would not want to mess with it. They likely can't charge more for the grapes, vs. other white varieties, and picking 2-3 times on same rows is expensive. If it is dictated by the winery, they might absorb that cost, but you'd see it in the wine price.

Make me shy away from planting myself, and when I checked the other day, no rootstock in inventory currently anyway.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 72
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 11:02:51 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tricky99

quote:

Did somebody say Moulin Touchais? I've got '81, '82, '85, and '96 in a Danby waiting for this pandemess to be done so we could have it at an offline. Brian - ever plan on coming back to Philly? We had fun the last time you were here. It was you who brought the Three Kings, correct?

Glad to see you pick the '96; I have one in my cellar, and the only time I had it (in 2013) it came across as incredibly dumb/closed/tight. It's so weird --- with Moulin Touchais, I have a 24 yo bottle of white, and never think about opening it for fear of it being too young. Other than Riesling, I can't say I have that experience with any other white wine.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Tricky99)
Post #: 73
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 11:03:53 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

A few years back a local store here had a whole bin of 2006 Quarts de Chaume on bin-end for about $22. I bought a couple. I tried one and was underwhelmed as it seemed to lack acidity and was thus a bit flabby. However, after doing some research, I decided I had consumed it too early. I've got to figure out where that other bottle is....we're having some friends over for a Loire tasting this weekend.

Edit: I just realized I gave it away as a gift in 2019.

Doh!!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 74
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 11:05:09 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROEL

Funny how Moulin Touchais keeps popping up in this thread.
Moulin Touchais was actually my first encounter with Chenin Blanc. This must have been in 1988 or 1989, jut after I got my first job. I found a couple of bottles at a local retailer. They stood out a bit because they usually sold the generic stuff and this also had a lot more age on it. If I recall correctly I bought a bottle of 1969, 1971 and 1976. They really impressed me but somehow I didn't cross paths with Moulin Touchais again after that, until I found some 2005 not long ago. Will have to keep my hands off those for a couple of years...

In a completely different style (CB is very versatile after all), but also impressive was a bottle of Fabien Jouves (Mas del Périé), Les Pièces Longues I had recently. A Vin de France from Cahors of all places (CB is not allowed under the AOC regulation)

Chenin from Cahors?!? Wow. What was it like?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 75
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 11:48:30 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

O.K., so I gave this 22 hours of me looking over each of my shoulders behind me, and nobody else has spoken, so I'll assume you were talking to me. As it is, I've never been to Philly (although I would *love* to change that!), so you must be remembering someone else. :)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 76
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 12:13:57 PM   
dontime

quote:

quote:

O.K., so I gave this 22 hours of me looking over each of my shoulders behind me, and nobody else has spoken, so I'll assume you were talking to me. As it is, I've never been to Philly (although I would *love* to change that!), so you must be remembering someone else. :)

Dennis is getting on in years. Sometimes things are fuzzy...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 77
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 3:51:46 PM   
Tricky99

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tricky99

quote:

Glad to see you pick the '96; I have one in my cellar, and the only time I had it (in 2013) it came across as incredibly dumb/closed/tight. It's so weird --- with Moulin Touchais, I have a 24 yo bottle of white, and never think about opening it for fear of it being too young. Other than Riesling, I can't say I have that experience with any other white wine.

The thing with MT is they release only in the best years, so you’re almost guaranteed a great wine no matter what. Don’t be afraid of the ‘96 though I’d probably hold onto it until 2026 because MT longevity is legendary. I’ve been fortunate enough to drink mostly everything well past 40 years old from MT. Sadly, I’ve only my one bottle of ‘64 now - I can console myself that it’s my birth year and one of the greatest vintages for MT of the 20thC!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 78
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 4:23:03 PM   
bretrooks

Another late reply here, but I count myself as a fan of chenin blanc, even though I don't drink it very regularly. A few somewhat disconnected notes while I'm on a break at work:

I've enjoyed dry ones younger and off-dry ones with just a little bit of age. I haven't tried anything at the Moelleux level of sweetness, but I've liked the few bottles of Coteaux du Layon/Quarts de Chaume I've tried (although, as with Sauternes, I don't feel the joy when acidity is too low). I've enjoyed a few from the US (Qupé, Roark, Chalone) and a few lower-end versions from South Africa as well.

The few Huets I've tried have been good, but not a step up over other quality producers such as Chidaine, for my palate. Vigneau-Chevreau is one of the last I had - I opened a Silex Sec 2018 late last fall and thought it was solid.

I've had one lower-level Joly and two Bellivière Jasnières, all in varying levels of an oxidized style (two of these were at Passionfish). These struck me as odd for enjoyment on their own, but the Joly, particularly, was memorable for how it paired with every dish we threw at it...a wow experience for me.

I did pick up Beau Rivage and Orr on BerserkerDay, and I'm looking forward to trying those.

Overall, my very favorites have had firm acidity, haven't been too lean, and have generally been juuuust off-dry.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 79
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 5:10:36 PM   
penguinoid

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is interesting, and makes sense with respect to why growers would not want to mess with it. They likely can't charge more for the grapes, vs. other white varieties, and picking 2-3 times on same rows is expensive. If it is dictated by the winery, they might absorb that cost, but you'd see it in the wine price.

Make me shy away from planting myself, and when I checked the other day, no rootstock in inventory currently anyway.

Yes, I'd guess so. I tried looking this up on Google, since my comments were based on what I remember hearing when I visited the region a while back, but didn't find much further information. Wine Folly suggests that the uneven ripening may be due to the cooler climate of the Loire Valley, for what it's worth, though I'm honestly not sure how much there is to back up this claim. (I'm not a big fan of the Wine Folly site overall, but it was the only reference I could find....)

I'd also note that Chenin blanc really needs to have yields kept low if you're to make interesting wine — but will give high yields if allowed. That's another headache for grape-growers.

Personally I'd think it worth it in the end — one of my occaisional day dreams is owning a winery in Savennières or Montlouis — but I'd guess it's not an easy grape to grow or make wine from. In most regions, it'd follow that up by being a hard wine to sell, I guess.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

Post #: 80
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/3/2021 5:57:07 PM   
skifree

Right on schedule an email from Grand Vin in Olympia showed up offering the 2019 Huet's, and they are in stock so price includes any tariff.

Yes, I ordered mine before posting this. Could not resist even though I have no idea where I will stash this in the cellar.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 81
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 12:13:55 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Another late reply here, but I count myself as a fan of chenin blanc, even though I don't drink it very regularly. A few somewhat disconnected notes while I'm on a break at work:

I've enjoyed dry ones younger and off-dry ones with just a little bit of age. I haven't tried anything at the Moelleux level of sweetness, but I've liked the few bottles of Coteaux du Layon/Quarts de Chaume I've tried (although, as with Sauternes, I don't feel the joy when acidity is too low). I've enjoyed a few from the US (Qupé, Roark, Chalone) and a few lower-end versions from South Africa as well.

The few Huets I've tried have been good, but not a step up over other quality producers such as Chidaine, for my palate. Vigneau-Chevreau is one of the last I had - I opened a Silex Sec 2018 late last fall and thought it was solid.

I've had one lower-level Joly and two Bellivière Jasnières, all in varying levels of an oxidized style (two of these were at Passionfish). These struck me as odd for enjoyment on their own, but the Joly, particularly, was memorable for how it paired with every dish we threw at it...a wow experience for me.

I did pick up Beau Rivage and Orr on BerserkerDay, and I'm looking forward to trying those.

Overall, my very favorites have had firm acidity, haven't been too lean, and have generally been juuuust off-dry.

Post about the Beau Rivage when you have it, Bret. That's the one offer I missed out on. Actually, I'd like to hear about the Orr, too --- it just wasn't on my radar until this thread.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 82
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 1:04:35 AM   
ROEL

quote:

Chenin from Cahors?!? Wow. What was it like?

Fun to drink, but not a simple wine. Vinified with minimal intervention (no filtering or fining, < 15 mg/L SO2). I pinned it as CB right away because of the lanolin/wax impressions but it's also immediately obvious that this is not from the Loire.
A little hazy, honeyed but dry, slightly smoky (12 months in foudres), a little more body or roundness than I expected.
Interesting food match.

Bought 2 bottles at a tasting and went back later for three more.

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 83
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 5:41:59 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

I'd also note that Chenin blanc really needs to have yields kept low if you're to make interesting wine — but will give high yields if allowed. That's another headache for grape-growers.

Personally I'd think it worth it in the end — one of my occaisional day dreams is owning a winery in Savennières or Montlouis — but I'd guess it's not an easy grape to grow or make wine from. In most regions, it'd follow that up by being a hard wine to sell, I guess.

I suppose this is why the old bushvines from South Africa is a good sign - the yield is necessarily low in such cases. In the specific case of Alheit's Radio Lazarus single vineyard CB, he bought a hilltop vineyard in the process of dying from drought, and it was abandoned after the 2017 vintage, as irrigation was not practical. I see some people on Cellartracker claim to have bottles of the 2019, but I think they don't. Basic cheap SA CB is indeed poor, and to be avoided. But you can pay surprisingly little for quality.

Good Loire CB producers deliberately pick a fraction of the grapes under-ripe, at least in warm years, maybe 25% in the warmest years, to increase the acidity of the wine. The traditional tale, whether true or not I cannot say, is that this practice comes from pre-revolutionary times, when transport was difficult, and Paris would plunder the Loire to satisfy its wine requirements. So they made some wine that would seem tooth-dissolvingly over-acidic to the Parisian merchants, and then they wouldn't take it. They knew the acidic wines would come around with time. I have a couple of times had 20+yr old bottles from ostensibly poor vintages, which had been unpleasantly acidic for a very long time, but had eventually come around. But actually spending money on young wines to see if that might happen is another matter.

South African CBs are not necessarily in an overtly fruity style. I think many of these better wines are not. A wine I bought as day-to-day drinking, but got re-evaluated as better than that, is Alheit's mid-price Flotsam & Jetsam CB. It is in a taut style, comparable to Chablis. But either it didn't make enough money, or he couldn't get the grapes again, as it was a 2-vintage wonder.

Alheit has been an influential part of my exploration of new wave South African wines. He is most famous for his several single vineyard CBs, which sell out very quickly, and later resell at fancy prices (Nautical Dawn, Cartology, etc). I'd been drinking some Ken Forrester wines. But my big eye-opening to the potential of South African new wave of wines was when I tried Alheit's 2016 Hemelrand Vine Garden. That's a blend that varies considerably from year to year, and not necessarily CB dominated. I felt it was head and shoulders the best white wine I'd drunk in years, and it cost only GBP16 in bond.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 84
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 6:16:13 AM   
Eddie

quote:

I felt it was head and shoulders the best white wine I'd drunk in years, and it cost only GBP16 in bond.

Sounds like something I'd like, but WineSearcher shows only 3 vendors in the U.S., with prices running from $37 to $49 per bottle.......

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 85
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 7:23:59 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

quote:

I felt it was head and shoulders the best white wine I'd drunk in years, and it cost only GBP16 in bond.

Sounds like something I'd like, but WineSearcher shows only 3 vendors in the U.S., with prices running from $37 to $49 per bottle.......

I have been nursing a suspicion that SA wines are not as easily/cheaply available in the US as in Britain, maybe northern Europe in general, given the relative lack of comments on them from the US direction. Here in Britain many serious wine merchants have very long SA lists, so many producers and individual bottlings it is difficult to choose what to buy.

The SAs are amazingly entrepreneurial, travelling around the vineyards to see what there is and creating something good and original out of the materials available at that moment. The result is a huge number of interesting small bottlings. A couple of specialists in this area, with cult followings, are The Liberator and Blank Bottle. The Liberator occasionally markets a wine called Perfectly Flawed which is a flor-affected CB. (The pun is better in a non-rhotic dialect.) It was sold here at a tiny fraction of the price of Jura vin jaune, which is the only other flor-affected unfortified wine I know. Originally it was an accident, but it has been made a few times now, so the process seems to be repeatable. It's a competent and interesting wine rather than a brilliant one. But it's worthwhile, original and a complete and utter bargain for the price. Production is currently only a few hundred cases. Who knows, maybe it will take off, maybe it won't.

Currently the SA wine industry needs to export even more than usual, as the SA government has banned alcohol sales to discourage social mixing. But North European store shelves are already flooded with Australian wine, following from China's trade spat with Australia. So there should be even better value than usual in the SA market just now. Though I guess that fine wines are affected less than lower priced wines.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 86
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 10:22:09 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have been nursing a suspicion that SA wines are not as easily/cheaply available in the US as in Britain, maybe northern Europe in general, given the relative lack of comments on them from the US direction. Here in Britain many serious wine merchants have very long SA lists, so many producers and individual bottlings it is difficult to choose what to buy.

Lots of opportunity for arbitrage.....

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 87
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 10:34:58 AM   
Eddie

Very few South African wines are sold where I live, and most of those that are available, are lowest-common-denominator inconsequential sorts.

I did buy 6 bottles of 2017 KWV The Mentors Orchestra from WTSO a while back, but haven't tried them yet. I guess it's been 4 or 5 years since I've consumed anything from South Africa.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 88
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 1:34:38 PM   
bretrooks

I don't see a lot around here, either.

The best of the low-priced versions I've encountered is the MAN Vintners "Free-run Steen," which has been a simple but decent little mid-week white in the vintages I've tried.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 89
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/4/2021 2:20:02 PM   
fingers

This shop might have the best selection in the US. I don't know about their shipping regimen to other states but it might be worth a try

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI