CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

All-purpose wine glass

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> All-purpose wine glass Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 2:52:48 AM   
rthpal

While my wife and I have several types of wine glasses, we use one main type, a fairly large tulip-shaped wine glass that is not very expensive. The glass seems to matter less for white wine than red, and my wife drinks mainly whites. She uses a few types of glasses (including "my" type). I drink mainly reds, largely left bank red Bordeaux, and drink whites and other reds usually out of the same type of glass. It is somewhat different from the Jancis Robinson all-purpose wine glass.

I would be interested in hearing the views of other CT members (the subject may well have been covered before).

< Message edited by rthpal -- 12/12/2021 2:56:50 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 4:06:44 AM   
khmark7

Yes, there have been a few threads on wine stems and what people prefer, but i don't know how many people use a "universal" stem, especially given our interests in vino.

For me, i have a mostly Riedel selection of Bordeaux, Burgundy, Zinfandel/Syrah, Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc stems. It covers the entire spectrum. I very very rarely even use the Porto & Champagne stems because i now use my white wine stems for these. The sauvignon blanc stem is a nice Porto substitute, and allows for a larger pour.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 2
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 4:43:05 AM   
S1

Gabriel Glas Gold or Grassl Liberte

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 5:00:39 AM   
musedir

I’ve moved over to Grassl from Riedel.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 4
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 11:26:09 AM   
smahk

I have several Riedal varietal specific glasses. I find them exhausting and cluttering up my cabinet. But I own them and seems silly to replace.

I have a second home where I needed to purchase wine glasses. I chose a universal stem - Gabriel Glas. Very easy to have 30+ stems take up less space than all my other Riedels.

Cin Cin!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 5
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 11:44:09 AM   
Blue Shorts

We use Schott Zwiesel Burgundy glasses for most wines, and it works very well.

We used to use variety-specific glasses, but it got very cumbersome...and quite frankly, it didn't add anything to our enjoyment of the wine.

The larger burgundy glasses allow for more enjoyment of the great aromas. We settled on the Burgundy glasses after noticing that many of the top reviewers used those glasses when judging wines.

Of course, we still have special glasses for stickies

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 6
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 2:52:40 PM   
Davidh.

Rona Linea Umana glassware is the latest addition to my cabinet. Very impressed with their glasses and they can take a hit, which I find increasingly important with every Zalto I break.

Has anyone noticed that Spiegelau Definition is an exact copy of Zalto, but then for 1/3 the price and machine made. I wonder if Zalto simply doesn't care?

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 7
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 5:30:43 PM   
KPB

I prefer Riedel Vinum, https://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Bordeaux-Merlot-Cabernet-Glasses/dp/B002Y098JS/ref=psdc_13218541_t2_B00IT1B9LQ, because they look nice, work well, and fit in the upper rack of the dishwasher. Strong enough so that they rarely break.

< Message edited by KPB -- 12/12/2021 5:32:31 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Davidh.)
Post #: 8
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 6:14:16 PM   
CranBurgundy

Like Ken, my general stem is a Riedel Vinum Cabernet style. There's one next to the Riedel decanter on the kitchen shelf.

When an offline or party features one particular wine, I'll switch glasses to match. Riesling = Grassl Mineralité / Burgundy = Spiegelau Burgundy bowls / Aged Vintage Port or Italian = Gabriel Gold.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/12/2021 11:12:52 PM   
Paul852

For champagne and all still wines except fortifieds and dessert wines we use 68cl Storsint glasses from IKEA. For the ports and desserts some smaller "sherry" glasses that I inherited from my father (who, according to family lore, got them free from some promotion at Esso petrol (gas) stations).

As you can tell, we don't get snobby over glasses.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 10
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 12:00:02 AM   
rthpal

The glass predominantly used by us is very slightly larger than the Libbey Signature Kentfield Estate All-Purpose Wine Glass. As in reds I drink little but Bordeaux and Bordeaux blends, I am very happy with it. To me it seems fine for most other wines also.

< Message edited by rthpal -- 12/13/2021 12:19:14 AM >

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 11
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 8:40:43 AM   
Wine Grove

Zalto Denk'art - the Bordeaux glass is pretty much ideal and works for me for all kinds of wine - except maybe bubbly which we rarely drink.

the Burgundy glass also, slightly wider/bigger, is ideal for pinot noirs and chardonnay. works fine for a bordeaux too. I would be happy with either of these as an every day glass.

the gabriel is great, but I just prefer a larger/wider bowl in general - regardless of the type of wine.

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 12
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 9:13:20 AM   
Eric

I have ended up with a ton of Riedel Vinum, so I am probably stuck there for a long time. (I don't lose/break that many glasses.)

For me, the best all-purpose glass is a smaller stem, what they call their Riesling/Chianti/Zinfandel glass: https://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Zinfandel-Riesling-Chianti-Glasses/dp/B00099E0HQ?th=1

Although personally I prefer Chianti (and especially Brunello) out of the Riedel Bordeaux/Cabernet stem.

I actually once did a blindfolded tasting where I tasted the same wine out of 4 different Riedel stems (Cab, Pinot, Syrah, Riesling). The shape of the stem and specifically how closed the nose is definitely factors into whether the alcohol is noticeable--I was doing this with a Chateauneuf-du-Pape which is quite a ripe, alcoholic wine relatively speaking.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 13
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 12:44:04 PM   
bretrooks

We tend to use bowls with smaller stems as well, and we default to inexpensive ones as well, since we do experience breakage from time to time . Our go-tos are relatively small Schott Zwiesel bordeaux glasses. We do also have some inexpensive smaller Riedel 003 Champagne glasses which I really like for whites and there are some larger Bormioli Rocco glasses hanging around for when we want a bigger bowl. The Schott Zwiesels would be my choice for just one default, though.

I have a handful of Grassl stems which I really enjoy, particularly the Liberte as a universal glass. They do seem pretty delicate...we haven't broken one yet, but I also don't use them often (and my wife almost never).

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 14
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 3:36:37 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

We use Grassl Liberte (most whites and some reds), Minerilite (Champagne), and Cru (PN, Gamay, Syrah) when we are feeling adventurous enough to risk the breakage. We tried using them as every day glasses, but it got expensive. I guess we are not the delicate type.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 15
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/13/2021 10:01:40 PM   
rthpal

We use flutes on the rare occasions when we drink Champagne, sparkling wine or mimosas (which we have without triple sec).

< Message edited by rthpal -- 12/13/2021 11:12:13 PM >

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 16
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/14/2021 9:58:20 AM   
Slye

For many wines my go to is Coterno Sensory (given to me as a gift, as they are quite pricey, but really excellent glasses). I cycle between Grassl and Riedel Somm series -- the former my preferred for whites and some reds, but the latter for big complex reds and sometimes Pinots. We have done the experiment Eric mentions above (same wine in different glasses), and it is disturbing what a difference a glass makes. I will often now pour a wine into more than one glass and taste each before settling on one that I think shows the wine the best at that moment.

I would say that a non-starter for me is having a large enough bowl to allow aeration (definitely for reds but often also for whites). We took a nice bottle of wine to a hotel restaurant the other day, and they had those standard short tulip glasses - the wine was good, but not as good as it could have been. Once you get beyond this distinction, things become a lot more complicated.

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 17
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/15/2021 9:41:01 AM   
BRR

Our everyday wine stems it the Universal from GlassVin. They're [relatively] affordable, very light and thing, but strong. We've had guests comment on multiple occasions, "I really like these wine glasses!"

Cheers!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 18
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/16/2021 4:05:36 AM   
penguinoid

I use a Nachtmann ViVino Bourgogne glass for pretty much everything. They're hard to get hold of where I live (unfortunately) but are a decent compromise between quality and price. I find a burgundy style glass is good for pretty much any wine. (But is awful for Chartreuse, and presumably most other liqueurs ).

I'm sometimes tempted to upgrade to a Zalto, either their Universal or Bourgogne glass. I used Zalto Universal glasses at a tasting a few years ago, and they were a lot better than the glasses I'm used to. However, whenever I have the money I prefer to spend it on good wine in preference to wine glasses. So I'm rather cheapskate about this.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 19
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 12/27/2021 7:48:50 AM   
DrBad

We picked up some Spirale by Vicante wine glasses a few years ago. My wife had a connection to the people who invented them so we thought we'd give them a try. They have a threaded section at the bottom of the inside of the glass which is designed to capture the sediment. The glasses are pretty hefty, probably to make them solid enough to accommodate the spiral, so we don't use them for fancy tastings but more as an everyday glass.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 20
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 1/8/2022 3:46:40 PM   
rthpal

If we break enough of our main 17-ounce wine glasses to need more, I think a close match would be the Libbey Entertaining Essentials All-Purpose Wine Glass (also 17 oz.).

< Message edited by rthpal -- 1/9/2022 5:45:11 PM >

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 21
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 6/9/2022 10:34:45 AM   
Wine Grove

I just ordered 2 of the Riedel Veloce pinot noir stems. they are a newer angled pinot noir glass, big but not too big, they look pretty ideal. Looking forward to trying some chards and pinots in them.

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 22
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 6/10/2022 8:55:10 AM   
BornToRhone

Weekdays, we just use the Reidel 'O' glasses as they easily fit on our dishwasher top shelf. On the weekends or if the wine truly deserves its own glass, we use Zalto Universal or Gabriel Glass. We also have a slew of Reidel variety specific stems which get occasional use. Lastly, when camping or in the pool, we use the stainless steel insulated cups from folks like Yeti.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 23
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 6/10/2022 3:36:11 PM   
hankj

Buy some proper wine glasses Richard. Those Libbey glasses are robbing you of some part of the enjoyability of your wines.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 24
RE: All-purpose wine glass - 6/10/2022 4:25:25 PM   
recotte

I use my Gabriel Glas Gold 95% of the time. Red, white, rosé, orange, sake. They work well for all of them. Fortunately, I don't break many stems (realize I just jinxed myself), but the Gabriel Glas Standart is a less expensive version that are almost as great for folks who are more concerned about cost and/or breakage.

I use either Riedel Sommelier Champagne flutes or Zalto Universal for sparkling wines (the former for brighter sparklers, the latter for richer, fuller bodied), and Riedel Vinum Port glasses for, well, Port. Sauternes get the Riedel Sommelier Sauterne glasses.

Once in a blue moon I'll break out the Zalto Bdx or Pinot glasses when I want a larger bowl, but really, the GGG are brilliant.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> All-purpose wine glass Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI