CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 8/6/2023 7:47:54 AM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Last night with visiting friends from Canada:

2002 Piper-Heidsieck Rare
1996 Dunn HM
2000 Dunn HM
1991 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
2003 Lynch Bages
2010 Seaver GTS Cab Diamond Mountain
2012 Carter Hossfeld Colliseum
? La Combe des Fous Clos Saint Jean CdP

My favorite and maybe group favorite was the 1991 Diamond Creek. All were PnP except for the Seaver.

Nice set of wines!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 31
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/1/2023 11:38:29 PM   
ericindc

Two massive dinners the last 2 weekends, this week was Bordeaux with just the 7 of us.

MV Clouet un Jour de 1911 ('08 or '12 base) -Good, rich, leesy, complex, needs alot of time
2015 Vilmart Emotion rose - everyone else loved this, but it felt too light and tart for me
NV Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Extra Brut Les Couarres - this was good, but again, it was too light for me. I rarely love extra brut/low/zero dosage wines.
2005 Y de Yquem - Weird one. I feel this bottle might have been a bit off. Had some off flavors and was lighter than expected.

1985 Mouton Rothschild Brilliant, my #1
1985 Haut Brion - unfortunately too far oxidized.
1985 Lynch Bages - really great bottle, served blind. really close to
1986 Talbot - brilliant as always, but was just too young.
1990 Mouton Rothschild - great bottle, just a smidge less resolved than the '95
1993 Mouton Rothschild - good bottle, but just not great and definitely needs more time. last 1/3 in the bottle was better the 2nd day.
1993 Haut Brion - Great bottle, drinking relatively young, but has some early mature notes.
1993 Trotanoy - I see the promise, but just too young and impenetrable for me.
1995 Pichon Comtesse Lalande - Great, but again, needs more time for me.
1988 Climens - Good bottle, really nice. Needs alot of air.

Favorites were (1) '85 Mouton Rothschild, (2) '90 Mouton Rothschild, (2) '93 Haut Brion.

< Message edited by ericindc -- 10/1/2023 11:40:11 PM >

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

Post #: 32
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/2/2023 12:52:49 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

Been a month of so since our last wine dinner. Theme was originally Grower Champagne & White burgs, but after some discussion on RM vs NM vs CM - and realizing that most of the producers I thought were growers are actually technically negociants, we just said "no big houses".

Generally, this was a difficult tasting for me. I generally like older, more mature wines. Thus as stereotypical me, my favorite of the night was the Ployez-jaquement, followed by the regular Mousse & fils and then the 2010 Bouchard Corton. Unfortunately, the 2012 Jouard Morgeot and the Pucelles were pre-moxed, but still drinkable. I probably liked them more than the others as they at least had some mature/oxidative notes.

2000 Ployez-Jacquemart Liesse d"harbonville (my #1)
2012 Mousse Rose de Saignee Special Club
2012 Mousse Special Club (100% meunier) ( my #2)

I had that Ployez at a blind tasting earlier this year and it was probably my favorite out of ~20. Where it is on its aging curve right now -- pure goodness.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 33
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/5/2023 7:37:27 PM   
ericindc

Special dinner 3 weeks ago for a friend's 75th. Pretty amazing. The '78 Beze was my #1, but the consensus was the DRC and while it was great, it needed time. The '96 Dom was singing, and the Ponsot, La Mission and Yquem were really special. The '48 Lafite was drinkable, but it just a little too oxidized, but amazing to drink.

1996 Dom Perignon
1995 Cristal
2010 Faiveley Corton Charlemagne

1978 Remoissenet Chambertin Clos de Beze my WOtN
1993 Ponsot Clos de la Roche
1990 DRC Richebourg

1948 Lafite (very low fill)
1989 La Mission Haut Brion
1990 Sassacaia
1998 Grange
1983 d'Yquem

-Eric

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 34
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/5/2023 9:19:33 PM   
DoubleD1969

Great lineup!

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 35
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/8/2023 8:19:07 AM   
jonathanknowles

Good grief, you guys drink some beautiful wines! I feel a bit intimidated..

Post #: 36
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 10/8/2023 1:12:25 PM   
ericindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonathanknowles

Good grief, you guys drink some beautiful wines! I feel a bit intimidated..

dont be. My last 2 dinners were somewhat outliers. Also, once you find a good group, its about sharing your wines. You dont need all of them yourself, only a good one or two to contribute.

Honestly, I always feel a bit guilty at these dinners. I'd be more than happy to drink any of these wines on any given night, but when you have them together you generally rank them. the wines in 4th or 5th might be great wines, but they suffer a bit for comparison.

-Eric

(in reply to jonathanknowles)
Post #: 37
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 12/4/2023 5:27:47 PM   
bretrooks

Haven't really had any noteworthy tastings in quite a while, but I had a couple of nice dinners over the weekend:

Secret Santa party with my now-irregular tasting group (we bring two bottles...one to taste together, and one to give):
2021 Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos de Mosny
2015 La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Ardanza Reserva
2019 Mauro Molino Barolo Bricco Luciani
2016 Domaine les Pallières Gigondas Les Racines
2021 Carlisle Zinfandel Piner Olivet Ranches Russian River Valley
Sandeman Porto 10 Year Old Tawny
2021 Donnafugata Passito di Pantelleria Ben Ryé

All drank well, even with the Carlisle being the odd man out (both very young and distinctly new world in character). I was happy to receive the Barolo, and it was fun to get to try the Ben Ryé for a first time...it's caught my eye before. If pressed to choose a favorite, I might go with the Gigondas, as it was in an excellent place and paired well with the food.

A holiday dinner with a few close friends from church last night:
2021 Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos de Mosny (the same bottle my wife received the evening before because it drank so well)
2021 Tercero Mourvèdre Rosé
2011 Domaine Felettig Chambolle-Musigny
2001 Árvay János Tokaji Sweet Life

Both the chenin and the burg needed some air to let something slightly stinky blow off, but they both were sound in the end. The Tokaji was a lot of fun: on the decline, I think, but still a rich amber pour tasting of apple pie filling and dark honey, with enough acid sticking around to delight...that one gets the nod.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 38
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 12/4/2023 5:39:14 PM   
S1

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 39
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 12/4/2023 11:27:06 PM   
ericindc

Two big BWE dinners last weekend in DC. I'm not gonna pretend to remember all the wines as there were like 30 each night.

Friday, Dec 1 - Anything but Bordeaux

So many wines, but my favorites were the 2001 Maume Mazis Chambertin, the 1992 Dunn HW, the 1982 Tempier Bandol, and the 2001 Donnhoff Auslese (from Mag!). About a 1/2 dozen other good champagnes some chablis, some white burgs, a few more nice Rieslings, Italian brunellos and Tuscans, and a lonely '98 Rioja mag. I didnt taste the 60s ports. Special mention goes to a friend that brought a magnum of 2001 August Kesseler Spatburgunder he got on release. Very unicorny. It was a pretty damn good wine too!

Saturday Dec 2 - Bordeaux

Started off with 4 champagnes - the '02 Krug which went in like 3 minutes and a few others. My fav was the '06 Heidsieck as the Krug didnt get enough time open and I only got an early taste so impossible to judge.

So Many reds. About 8 bottles of the 2003s, the Leoville Barton was the best followed by the Latour and the Sociando Mallet. the Pavie was hopelessly madeirized. To be fair, the bottles were better than my previous experiences with 2003.

The rest. jeez, so many. Probably the best was the '85 La Mission, followed by the '83 Pichon, '82 and '83 Gruauds, and then the '85 Pichon Lalande. The 90 and 95 Pichon Baron were good, the '86 Talbot is always great, the 98 Angelus was good. Heck even the '83 Cantermerle was solid. I know I missed a bunch. I should have taken notes. Alas.

The dessert wines were simpler. '83 Climens, '76 Rayne Vigneau, and a '75 Nairac. The Climens was super intense and was my fav, although the Rayne Vigneau was a close second.

All in all a hedonistic 2 nights. Maybe I'll post a few picks.

< Message edited by ericindc -- 12/10/2023 3:16:34 PM >

-Eric

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 40
RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event - 12/10/2023 5:35:50 PM   
ericindc

Another weekend, another big dinner

8 of got together at a friend's in Arlington, VA for a Burg/Champagne and a touch of Rioja dinner to celebrate a couple people's birthdays... 1987 and 1948. Great dinner with some amazing wines which seemed all mostly correct. Man, this was a good lineup. Some of these wines are up there for my WOTY.

1990 VC La Grand Dame, really pretty light red fruits, powerful, juicy, still a bit tart
1995 Charles Heidsieck Bland de Millenaires (original paper label) - powerful chardonnay flavors, brioche, light ox, great complexity. #1 White/Champagne
1996 Amiot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Caillerrets - solid bottle quite good, but it took a while to come around

1948 Marquis de Murrieta Ygay Reserva #2 Red - I'll probably remember this the longest. What a ride. Man this was crazy good. Started with really stinky rotten nose, but it had strong sweet dried strawberry middle (rioja get this when very very old) and dazzling complexity. After an hour the stink went away and the fruit was muted. Then at 3 hours, the fruit and complexity roared back with even stronger more complex fruit, mature woodsy notes with a insanely long finish. 97
1987 Faiveley NSG 1er Les St. Georges - really good for a weak vintage, clean bottle. classic aged burg.
1987 Faiveley Corton clos de Corton - My favority early on, but fell off after a few hours. Really good, classic aged flavors, but had a complexity and deepness of flavor along with a very "thick" nouthfeel.
1987 Armand Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze #1 Red So we were really bummed when we first opened this cause the cork was corky, but the wine was clean (whew!). Wow, this was amazingly elegant, light with great fruit, lightly mature notes, nothing out of place and everything in balance. This might be one of the most elegant, gorgeoux burgs I've ever had. Would love to taste this when it gets fully mature. but this will probably be the only tasting I'll ever have of this rare wine.
1989 Jadot Chambertin Clos de Beze - A complete change from the Rousseau. Mostly still primary, just very light mature notes. Pretty closed on the nose. This is still really young, burly, muscular, and tight but started to soften a bit after about 4 hrs open. Tannins were a still pretty big and the fruit is still pretty monolithic. I would hold this for 10 more years before trying again. A great potential down the road once more mature notes emerge and the tannins soften.
1991 Remoissenet pere and fils Richebourg - Again, more elegant, but I felt that this was a bit shy. Never really opened up over 6 hours. Nice wine, but I think it needs more time.
1999 Girardin Bonnes Mares - 2nd time I've had this in the last few years. Very similar to last tasted in 2021. More the elegant and light side of Bonnes Mares. Quite a beautiful wine. Held together all night and didnt change too much. People didnt think this was a long ager, but I think it will hang around for another 15 years.

1986 Yquem (1/2 btl) Powerful, relatively youthful Yquem. Gained weight over a couple hours, but had a bit of a short finish.
1996 Climens _Not quite as powerful as the Yquem. Good, but not as good as the Yquem, has a similar short finish.

Bonus Tastes: 1996 Lafite, 1996 Mouton Rothschild
stored in fridge with vacuvin for 2 days. Lafite was really closed, Mouton was pretty open and mostly ready for people who like their bordeaux at early maturity

-Eric

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best wine of your recent tasting event Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI