CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What BEER are you drinking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/21/2016 1:02:33 PM   
Old Doug

Russian River Pliny the Elder - Double India Pale Ale. Perfect 10 out of 10. Wow - I can see why this one often shows up on lists of the best IPAs, the best west-coast brews, the best beers in America, etc. The aroma is one of the most enticing ever - restrained yet smooth and insistent with slight sweet malt, grapefruit, pine resin and bitter, very slightly sour hops. Incredibly strong sense of, "Ooh this is going to taste great..." No disappointment - the smell leads you right; the taste is profound in it's depth, with those same elements that are in the aroma, yet somehow it retains a lightness, and you are uplifted in the process. Miraculous balance, massive centeredness, what skill the brewers have. The Champagne of IPAs.

THANK YOU to Recotte, who, in a great act of kindness/friendship/mercy, sent it to me.

(in reply to Byteme94)
Post #: 2311
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/21/2016 1:24:26 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Lately...

Goose Island - Green Line - APA
Two Brothers - Atom Smasher Oktoberfest
Boon - Framboise(raspberry lambic)
Two Brothers - Wobble IPA
New Belgium - 1554

All very solid - repeat purchases.

I am not a beer drinker, but DH is. And I've experimented with using my wine-tailoring skills to select beers for him based on his "beer palate". New Belgium has several lines that he enjoys. I began buying him the 1554 and it is clearly a repeat favorite. Other New Belgiums he prefers include Blue Paddle, Fat Tire, and Trippel.

Will use the above list for forther research for him. Even if I buy some beer he would not prefer me to buy again, he still enjoys the process. Hey. He's a guy. It's beer.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2312
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/21/2016 5:27:53 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Russian River Pliny the Elder - Double India Pale Ale. Perfect 10 out of 10. Wow - I can see why this one often shows up on lists of the best IPAs, the best west-coast brews, the best beers in America, etc. The aroma is one of the most enticing ever - restrained yet smooth and insistent with slight sweet malt, grapefruit, pine resin and bitter, very slightly sour hops. Incredibly strong sense of, "Ooh this is going to taste great..." No disappointment - the smell leads you right; the taste is profound in it's depth, with those same elements that are in the aroma, yet somehow it retains a lightness, and you are uplifted in the process. Miraculous balance, massive centeredness, what skill the brewers have. The Champagne of IPAs.

THANK YOU to Recotte, who, in a great act of kindness/friendship/mercy, sent it to me.

Yep, Pliny is on my short list of beers to find.

Lately been in love with the beers of Revolution Brewing in Chicago. Anti-Hero IPA is my favorite find so far this year. Damn good stuff.

Been on a mission to taste some more dark beers from Central Waters Brewery in Wisconsin. Great stouts! Tried several of theirs at a special tasting in Madison and was blown away.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2313
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/23/2016 4:57:59 PM   
khmark7

New Belgium - Le Terroir 2015
Dry hopped sour ale. Loads of citrus and light floral hops. Great beer with food.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2314
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/1/2017 10:28:53 PM   
arthrovine

Last beer consumed on this board was 5+ months ago????

Fluffy by Claim 52, Eugene Oregon, canned 4/27

7% Abv, 70 IBU

Fantastic hazy American IPA: delicious fruity, floral midweight on the palate and an uplifting finish. Delicious

< Message edited by arthrovine -- 5/1/2017 10:29:39 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2315
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/2/2017 2:40:45 PM   
Vietty

Just had a Firestone Kreiky Bones yesterday that was pretty interesting, although not something that I'd crave or purchase another bottle of.

Tasted like sour cherries on top of an oak plank balanced on a bale of hay in a barnyard.

I think some aging would have done this sour some good to integrate a bit, but then the brett would have been more pronounced.

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 2316
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/17/2017 10:08:36 PM   
PinotPhile

Figured this might be of interest to the CT beer crowd.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2017/05/17/abinbev-rams-10-barrel-down-san-diegos-throat-the-predictable-act-of-a-bully/

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 2317
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 7/29/2017 7:07:23 PM   
khmark7

Revolution Brewing - Anti-Hero

Maybe the best beer many of you have never heard of. Great brewery out of Chicago.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2318
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/2/2017 1:44:24 PM   
wicozani

Miner Brewing Co. Dr. Valentine Imperial Red IPA (IBU 94, 8.6% ABV). A local craft brewery here in the Black Hills. Also has a good helping of malt, so not as hoppy as the IBUs indicate. Serious brew. Not sure I like it better than my favorite, Germany's Spaten Optimator doppelbock.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2319
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/2/2017 4:28:27 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wicozani

Miner Brewing Co. Dr. Valentine Imperial Red IPA (IBU 94, 8.6% ABV). A local craft brewery here in the Black Hills. Also has a good helping of malt, so not as hoppy as the IBUs indicate. Serious brew. Not sure I like it better than my favorite, Germany's Spaten Optimator doppelbock.

Never see any craft beers from that area in Chicago, and with the abundance of locals places here & in Wisconsin the market is saturated. Have friends that will be in the Black Hills this weekend for Sturgis....but i don't think they will ride any beer back to Chicago for me

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 2320
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/3/2017 10:03:24 PM   
PinotPhile

On the brew topic, looks like another acquisition by a non-US company.

http://www.marinij.com/business/20170803/anchor-brewing-sale-called-end-of-era

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2321
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/4/2017 7:27:37 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Aargh. Is nothing sacred?

I don't drink much beer anymore, but I do like the Anchor stuff. I think I'll get some this weekend.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2322
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/7/2017 11:07:07 AM   
PinotPhile

I am not seeking nor buying any of these for DH. Although one is rather local.

http://www.foodandwine.com/beer/13-strangest-beers-earth?utm_source=foodandwine.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=well-done&utm_content=20170804#un-kono-kuro-sankt-gallen-brewery

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 2323
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/11/2017 5:51:22 PM   
khmark7

Started my fall splurge of beer purchases.....

Avery (Boulder) - Raja DIPA
Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee) - Hop Jockey DIPA
Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA
Anchor Brewing - Liberty Ale

More to come.....

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2324
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/16/2017 4:09:02 AM   
khmark7

Found some 3 Floyds Zombie Dust yesterday, so that was exciting.

Also added.....
Ale Asylum - Dr Vennom (IPA)
3 Floyds - Alpha King

Plus a pending beer trade to acquire....
Hinterland - Farmhouse Ale (Green Bay)
3 Floyds - Space Station Middle Finger (APA)

Had been looking for a few Oktoberfest beers and they were sold out....

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2325
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/16/2017 4:53:55 AM   
lockestep

quote:

Crap. I've been buying their Christmas Ale every year since the mid-1980's. They vary the ingredients a bit each year so every season is a different experience. I get the fiduciary duty, but it is sad to see this happen.
OTOH, every time a soulless megacorp buys up a brewer, it opens up room for new ventures. Delaware has added Big Oyster and Crooked Hammock in the last year, and two yet unnamed breweries are opening within a few miles of my home.
Each time you strike one down, it makes us stronger.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2326
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/16/2017 4:59:13 AM   
lockestep

Oh, and as to what I have been drinking - a lot of fruit infused beers this summer. New Belgium Citradelic, Dogfish Sea Quench, Victory Kirsch Gose.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 2327
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/16/2017 10:31:36 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

Interesting that Anchor Steam went for less than Ballast Point.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2328
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/28/2017 2:52:57 PM   
Old Doug

Guinness, the regular bottles with a bottle cap on them, not the "pub draft' deal. Just sublime - never really focused on the finish to this extent, before, but the "dark" quality tails off into the unknown, forever, the coffee, cocoa, liquorice tastes last and last.

New Belgium Brewing - 'Voodoo Ranger' 8 Hop Pale Ale. Very worthy of a mention - says "Brilliantly balanced for easy drinking, this pale ale is packed with citrus and tropical fruit flavors from eight different hop varieties." Well, yeah - it's massively easy-to-drink, not that bitter at all for a pale ale, no Sir or Madam. Very herbal and floral (and I could see somebody who was decidedly not enamored of it deriding it as 'weed juice'), yet the balance is indeed profound, sweet more in proportion to the bitter (some 'tropical' aspects there, yes), versus many such ales, substantial coniferous or 'piney' tastes, and in the end it is the citrus that is quite restrained, and much less grape-fruit centric than one is used to, in IPAs, for example. Compelling.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 2329
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/28/2017 3:17:05 PM   
Smaragd

Radeberger and Jever pilsner

I'm a hardcore german pilsner purist

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2330
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/28/2017 5:06:58 PM   
khmark7

quote:

Guinness, the regular bottles with a bottle cap on them, not the "pub draft' deal. Just sublime - never really focused on the finish to this extent, before, but the "dark" quality tails off into the unknown, forever, the coffee, cocoa, liquorice tastes last and last.

New Belgium Brewing - 'Voodoo Ranger' 8 Hop Pale Ale. Very worthy of a mention - says "Brilliantly balanced for easy drinking, this pale ale is packed with citrus and tropical fruit flavors from eight different hop varieties." Well, yeah - it's massively easy-to-drink, not that bitter at all for a pale ale, no Sir or Madam. Very herbal and floral (and I could see somebody who was decidedly not enamored of it deriding it as 'weed juice'), yet the balance is indeed profound, sweet more in proportion to the bitter (some 'tropical' aspects there, yes), versus many such ales, substantial coniferous or 'piney' tastes, and in the end it is the citrus that is quite restrained, and much less grape-fruit centric than one is used to, in IPAs, for example. Compelling.

Nice review.

Haven't had Guinness in some time now. Thinking I really should explore some old world classic beers this fall in addition to my constant exploration of new beers. With cooler weather on the horizon my palate changes just like the season.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2331
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 9/7/2017 7:19:41 PM   
khmark7

3 Floyds - Space Station Middle Finger APA

Obtained 3 bottles from a friend in a beer trade. Rather uninspiring APA, smooth and easy drinking but also not very expressive. On the lighter side for an APA. A better summer beer, but not one i will seek out in the future.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2332
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/8/2017 2:18:34 PM   
PinotPhile

Bumping this thread to provide an FYI for brew fans.

https://www.sonomapride.com/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2333
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/11/2017 10:08:27 AM   
Old Doug

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout. 9.5 This was on the edge of being too sweet for me, with the toffee/caramel taste, but other than that - this is a monster of a brew, hitting massively on richness, hoppy flavor, roasted malt creaminess - just the right body to it, thick enough to be a special treat but not cloying; clean - you could drink a lot of these. 9.5% alcohol, doesn't taste hot but oh so good. Just tone down that damn sweetness a little.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 11/11/2017 10:09:24 AM >

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 2334
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/11/2017 10:30:21 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: smaragd

Radeberger and Jever pilsner

I'm a hardcore german pilsner purist

you could do worse

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 2335
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/11/2017 10:31:55 AM   
hankj

quote:

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout. 9.5 This was on the edge of being too sweet for me, with the toffee/caramel taste, but other than that - this is a monster of a brew, hitting massively on richness, hoppy flavor, roasted malt creaminess - just the right body to it, thick enough to be a special treat but not cloying; clean - you could drink a lot of these. 9.5% alcohol, doesn't taste hot but oh so good. Just tone down that damn sweetness a little.

you, my friend, are a friend of big beers! I wish my constitution was still hearty enough to enjoy them but nowadays I mostly feel just slapped around by the likes of Imperial Stout :)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2336
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/11/2017 10:32:05 AM   
PinotPhile

TJs has a canned beer called Simpler Times. Apparently they have a brewer doing a private label. In years past, it looked like a generic label. Now, they have a Lager and a Pilsner. $3.49 per six-pack. Impulse purchase of the Lager due to greater alcohol content. For Dear Husband. His verdict: perfectly decent as a daily beer drinker. He wants to try the Pils as well.

Who knew? Maybe an OK party beer.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2337
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 11/11/2017 10:34:21 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vietty

Just had a Firestone Kreiky Bones yesterday that was pretty interesting, although not something that I'd crave or purchase another bottle of.

Tasted like sour cherries on top of an oak plank balanced on a bale of hay in a barnyard.

I think some aging would have done this sour some good to integrate a bit, but then the brett would have been more pronounced.

Firestone makes some great beers! Not sure this is one of them, but whomever runs that place has a nice palate.

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 2338
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/30/2018 4:09:46 PM   
khmark7

Rodenbach Alexander - aged in oak foeders

Great Belgian Flanders

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 2339
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 2/1/2018 7:44:08 PM   
mc2 wines

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA courtesy of their new outpost in PDX. Love that stuff.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2340
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI