CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NEW SITE UPDATES

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: NEW SITE UPDATES Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/26/2010 11:07:59 PM   
brigcampbell

look forward to the changes. things are coming along very nice and I'll continue to bang around all the corners of GS looking for issues to help the cause.

I think you need to set your expectations that some people will never be happy, that's just going to be the case no matter what.  unfortunate but true so dont lose sleep over it.

I'm GS all the time now, removed the book marks to CT from the brower and posting into the forums and linking back to wines in GS when appropriate just to "expose" the huddled masses.

You'll look back in a year and say "man that sucked, I'm never doing that again" but GS will be in a much better place for the future, no question.

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 31
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/27/2010 8:11:41 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: brigcampbell

look forward to the changes. things are coming along very nice and I'll continue to bang around all the corners of GS looking for issues to help the cause.

I think you need to set your expectations that some people will never be happy, that's just going to be the case no matter what.  unfortunate but true so dont lose sleep over it.

I'm GS all the time now, removed the book marks to CT from the brower and posting into the forums and linking back to wines in GS when appropriate just to "expose" the huddled masses.

You'll look back in a year and say "man that sucked, I'm never doing that again" but GS will be in a much better place for the future, no question.

You're definitely right on a few points.

BTW, I am going to try and check in the homepage updates today. I hit several snags last night and decided I needed to do more testing before I put the changes on the live site.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 32
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/27/2010 12:05:33 PM   
Eric

Murphy's Law. I have all of the homepage updates ready to deploy, andnow my firewall/VPN in the datacenter is acting up and not letting me connect. Frack.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 33
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/27/2010 4:11:18 PM   
Eric

And to add to the fun, when I went to the datacenter and rebooted the firewall then I discovered that the config had not been saved properly back on 1/29/2010 when changes were made to allow me to host both cellartracker.com and grapestories.com. Basically it was a grenade without a pin. So after rebooting one could no longer get to www.cellartracker.com for the past few hours. Fixed now.

And here are the dozen changes that just went in for the homepage:
  1. I now support show/hide links for many of the boxes on the homepage. If you don't like a section, just click hide to 'minimize' it. And no, you CANNOT get rid of a section entirely. You have to live with at least seeing the heading.
    • Notifications (still NYI so not useful right now)
    • News & Press
    • Wine Browse
    • Popular Wines
    • Active Users
    • Recent Wines
  2. The top-level cellar valuation now also has a show/hide for those who need spouse safety but have not turned off price/value in their account in general.
  3. The POPULAR WINES box got a nice series of upgrades
    • It now remembers what tab/view were last used separately for user with inventory versus those without. And this allowed me to bring back the NOTES FROM OTHER USERS ON WINES IN MY CELLAR as the default view for all users with wine. And there was much rejoicing...
    • I now support inplace paging of the most recent 250 wines/notes in any of the views in this box.
    • The notes are no longer truncated and expose note commenting, voting etc. In other words the formatting of the notes is consistent with their display elsewhere on the site.
  4. A number of people were missing the RECENT WINES functionality from CellarTracker. That is now a new section (which you can also show/hide) in the left-hand column for users who have inventory. And there are links to let you easily toggle between all wines, consumed, purchased, added and tasted. Sticky of course so it remembers your last view.
  5. The wineglass icon next to any wine has all the commands you would want right there, and even has a friendlier "loading" status for the second or two it takes to load the very first time I use it.
As I mentioned earlier, this page is still 1024px fixed width for now, but apart from that I consider it DONE. I hope that people understand that I am listening to the feedback and want to add a level of customization and flexibility to let you dial up or down the elements that you care about. And frankly, if you don't consider this version of the homepage to be a big upgrade from the CellarTracker one then you are simply being resistant to change and are not actually looking at the functionality.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 34
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/27/2010 4:27:59 PM   
PSUSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

And to add to the fun, when I went to the datacenter and rebooted the firewall then I discovered that the config had not been saved properly back on 1/29/2010 when changes were made to allow me to host both cellartracker.com and grapestories.com. Basically it was a grenade without a pin. So after rebooting one could no longer get to www.cellartracker.com for the past few hours. Fixed now.

And here are the dozen changes that just went in for the homepage:
  1. I now support show/hide links for many of the boxes on the homepage. If you don't like a section, just click hide to 'minimize' it. And no, you CANNOT get rid of a section entirely. You have to live with at least seeing the heading.
    • Notifications (still NYI so not useful right now)
    • News & Press
    • Wine Browse
    • Popular Wines
    • Active Users
    • Recent Wines
  2. The top-level cellar valuation now also has a show/hide for those who need spouse safety but have not turned off price/value in their account in general.
  3. The POPULAR WINES box got a nice series of upgrades
    • It now remembers what tab/view were last used separately for user with inventory versus those without. And this allowed me to bring back the NOTES FROM OTHER USERS ON WINES IN MY CELLAR as the default view for all users with wine. And there was much rejoicing...
    • I now support inplace paging of the most recent 250 wines/notes in any of the views in this box.
    • The notes are no longer truncated and expose note commenting, voting etc. In other words the formatting of the notes is consistent with their display elsewhere on the site.
  4. A number of people were missing the RECENT WINES functionality from CellarTracker. That is now a new section (which you can also show/hide) in the left-hand column for users who have inventory. And there are links to let you easily toggle between all wines, consumed, purchased, added and tasted. Sticky of course so it remembers your last view.
  5. The wineglass icon next to any wine has all the commands you would want right there, and even has a friendlier "loading" status for the second or two it takes to load the very first time I use it.
As I mentioned earlier, this page is still 1024px fixed width for now, but apart from that I consider it DONE. I hope that people understand that I am listening to the feedback and want to add a level of customization and flexibility to let you dial up or down the elements that you care about. And frankly, if you don't consider this version of the homepage to be a big upgrade from the CellarTracker one then you are simply being resistant to change and are not actually looking at the functionality.

Great changes. The recent wine section is much appreciated. Thanks!

Good wine is a necessity of life to me. - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 35
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/28/2010 1:29:50 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

"As I mentioned earlier, this page is still 1024px fixed width for now, but apart from that I consider it DONE. I hope that people understand that I am listening to the feedback and want to add a level of customization and flexibility to let you dial up or down the elements that you care about. And frankly, if you don't consider this version of the homepage to be a big upgrade from the CellarTracker one then you are simply being resistant to change and are not actually looking at the functionality." - Eric

Being a PC Philistine I'm assuming the 1024px comments means eventually there will be more info. on each line (a truly critical improvement).
Personally if I could also have the CT practise of opening the forum on a new page (leaving the start page open) I'd be happy with GS.
I think though that Eric you are missing a little of how real users enjoy the site. We use what's useful to us, and find that out in a relatively undisiplined way. If you've used CT for a number of years you know what you use, what you like, and how to do it.
Increased functionality is worth little (at least early on).
If you correctly divine what we'll want for the future then everyone will eventually be delighted and offer apologies for moaning.
In the short term I suspect most would have voted for the status quo, but the masses can be wrong (look at election results ).
As I've said before I like CT, will learn to love GS, and encourage evolutionary change (which allows you to have a mutation or two thrown in).
L.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 36
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/28/2010 7:39:47 AM   
Eric

Thanks Colonel. The forum opening should be unchanged from CT btw. Unless perhaps if you click very quickly. Or if not what browser are you using?

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 37
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/28/2010 7:49:57 AM   
djseiler

Eric.

Like the Colonel, I love CT and am forcing myself to understand GS before passing too much judgment. CT is like the safety blanket of a child - familiar. I am not a computer person who is up to speed on the nuances of blogs, tweets, and apps and such. I am trying but am way behind the "IT" curve.

I do however appreciate the mass amount of time and passion you have devoted to the GS product. Thanks.

Again, I am trying to get familiar with GS. At the moment I still love CT.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 38
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/28/2010 10:56:27 AM   
craiglpalmer

quote:

Eric -- like the new homepage changes. Love seeing regular new improvements to the new site. One change I wish you'd consider on the home page is to integrate the display of cellar sensor readings into it if you are a subscriber.

Craig L. Palmer

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 39
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 3/28/2010 11:02:20 AM   
Eric

Craig, I am a CellarSensor user too, and this is on my list.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to craiglpalmer)
Post #: 40
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/3/2010 10:28:21 PM   
Eric

This has been a very quiet week on the coding front, as I have been working a lot on new Dymo support for the Mac. That's not quite ready and pending some fixes from Dymo.

Meanwhile, I just checked in some tweaks to help with the usability of the search control at the upper right. It is not done yet, but the control should be much stickier now about remembering your last search focus. Still more work to come here, but I think this will help a lot with the complaints of the usability of this.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 41
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/5/2010 3:06:56 PM   
Barbotus

Since you asked in the WLTV Forum, yes these are excellent changes and I will freely admit that the GS homepage is infinitely superior to its CT counterpart. So not to worry, your compass still points north.
It is a very nice landing page. It might even be enough for me to occasionally visit the homepage on GS. My use of CT was all about the inventory, so the primary screens I used were My Cellar, the individual wine pages, Add, Drink, and Edit Inventory. And the filters/reports pages (particularly drinkability report) to drive toward the individual wine pages.

Congrats. The progress is coming.
Best,
Antone

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 42
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/5/2010 3:12:20 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barbotus

Since you asked in the WLTV Forum, yes these are excellent changes and I will freely admit that the GS homepage is infinitely superior to its CT counterpart. So not to worry, your compass still points north.
It is a very nice landing page. It might even be enough for me to occasionally visit the homepage on GS. My use of CT was all about the inventory, so the primary screens I used were My Cellar, the individual wine pages, Add, Drink, and Edit Inventory. And the filters/reports pages (particularly drinkability report) to drive toward the individual wine pages.

Congrats. The progress is coming.
Best,
Antone

Thank you, really greatly appreciated. I will let you know when the changes targeting your scenarios are in. My goal is that classic mode is SOOO very classic with a couple of (one-time) customization clicks that you will never look back. Again, feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Barbotus)
Post #: 43
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/6/2010 1:44:32 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

This has been a very quiet week on the coding front, as I have been working a lot on new Dymo support for the Mac. That's not quite ready and pending some fixes from Dymo.

Meanwhile, I just checked in some tweaks to help with the usability of the search control at the upper right. It is not done yet, but the control should be much stickier now about remembering your last search focus. Still more work to come here, but I think this will help a lot with the complaints of the usability of this.

new Dymo support on the mac? what I have is working now... Unless you are making it easier?

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 44
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/6/2010 2:13:27 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

quote:

new Dymo support on the mac? what I have is working now... Unless you are making it easier?

It will end up a lot easier. Just like on Windows, I will be able to let you print directly from the site. No CSV, no funny standalone AppeScript, and hopefully no need to install anything on your Mac than the latest Dymo software. I have hit some bug whcih Dymo has fixed and still have a few issues to work through with them. However, I am incredibly excited that they seem to have some excellent engineers who are really looking very seriously at their web-programmability story.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 45
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/8/2010 3:12:24 PM   
Eric

This has been another quiet week as we grind on the behind the scenes changes to enable the "full fluid width" site. Those changes are pretty pervasive and require a lot of little tweaks across all of the styles, so it is taking some time to find and fix all of the glitches. That said, apart from one or two tricky problems it is going very, very well. I fully expect that we will have this deployed and turned on in the next two weeks. I will also then try to include all of my updates to the classic views. IOW, the bulk of the gripes about wasted screen real estate, especially on large monitors, should be addressed over the coming few weeks.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 46
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/9/2010 9:27:34 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

quote:

It will end up a lot easier. Just like on Windows, I will be able to let you print directly from the site. No CSV, no funny standalone AppeScript, and hopefully no need to install anything on your Mac than the latest Dymo software. I have hit some bug whcih Dymo has fixed and still have a few issues to work through with them. However, I am incredibly excited that they seem to have some excellent engineers who are really looking very seriously at their web-programmability story.

That's pretty cool. It was quite tricky to get it working correctly the first time. I have it working now but a nice and proper solution would be great too.

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 47
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/9/2010 3:37:14 PM   
Eric

I just checked in a rather large set of changes on the road toward the "full fluid width" site. We are still a week or two away from turning that on. While these changes are intended to be invisible until we flip the proverbial switch, in the short term, this has introduced a few, known visual glitches such as:
  • A misplaced help hyperlink on the bulk purchase screen.
  • Missing horizontal lines between rows in the MY CELLAR view.
  • Probably some other things we haven't caught yet, so please bear with us.
I hope to have these glitches fixed shortly, but to keep moving forward I wanted to get the latest changes onto the live site to hasten work for my (remote) web developer.

BTW, if anything goes REALLY whacky, it may be due to caching. You may have to hold down your shift key and click the refresh button in your browser, or simply restart your browser.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 48
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/11/2010 10:38:02 PM   
Eric

• The aforementioned glitches have been cleaned up, along with a number of cases where a page would be forced to be too tall. There are still glitches that can occur if you go to a screen with an expand/collapse on the main form (e.g. the DRINK OR REMOVE screen), with the screen expanded and then collapse it. In some cases the right-panel might protrude off the bottom of the frame. This will be fixed in the future.
  • It is now possible to edit a tasting note and set the LIKE/DISLIKE flag to neutral.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 49
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/14/2010 2:06:21 PM   
Eric

OK, hopefully I have just checked in the last wave of code to manage the vertical page size. It should be largely invisible. but the deeper changes we are making in preparation for a fluid width site (versus fixed width) require this. Now any vertical expand/contract of various forms and items in the right-side panel should do as expected.

I did some slightly deeper than cosmetic work on the DRINK OR REMOVE page to respond to some usability concerns.
  • A lot of people did not realize that this page could be expanded to let you post a tasting notes at the same time you are drinking a bottle. For the same of simplicity this was collapsed by default. Now there is always a small section at the bottom "Do you want to write a tasting note?" that is always present with more obvious YES/NO toggles that will then expand/collapse the form. And much like the standalone page for posting a tasting note, I have carved out a number of ADVANCED OPTIONS into a separate expand/collapse panel (drinking windows, food pairing tags, Twitter integration).
  • If you only have one bottle of a given wine, that bottle is now selected by default when you come to the form.
  • The "Had a taste" consumption type is now exposed.
  • I have removed the nested panels that are used when you do a "chained" drinking operation (selecting multiple wines through the shopping cart interface or a bulk-edit action). Much cleaner visual display now.
Plus a made a small number of other usability and bugfix tweaks:
  • When changing the search-type dropdown, the focus is then automatically inserted into the corresponding search edit control.
  • The IE7-specific visual glitch on a person profile page with no profile photo has been fixed.
  • Due to IE bugginess I have removed the "slide" animation when adding wines to your shopping cart. I may have further work to do here to prevent the cart from getting out of sync with the main form, but I can't get this to break anymore with the slide animation removed.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 50
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/15/2010 11:02:26 PM   
Eric

OK, I made some deeper changes. It should be very hard to get the shopping cart out of sync now. There are some cases where, if you really try to break it, you can get the same wine in the cart twice.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 51
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/19/2010 4:26:12 PM   
Eric

I added even more changes to deal with the shopping cart. I know of no cases know where you should be able to get it out of sync.
I also fixed a few more cases where the last column could outgrow the screen when working on the bulk purchase screen.
Finally I made a large number of under the covers markup changes in preparation for our switch to the full fluid width site. The intent for the moment, until we are ready to flip the switch, is that the search views will keep looking the same, although we did bump down the padding to let some more rows onscreen. I have also let some of these changes flow through to the grouped/pivot views so they should be MUCH less tall than before. Some of the linewrapping will look a little funny right now until we turn on fluid width. I think once people see the end result they will be very, very happy. Pretty much just like CT but more readable. I also plan to add more customization so that people can pick which data items display in these views.

At this point we pretty much have all of the 'hard' problems sorted out with the fluid width views, and we just need to do a bit more cleanup. It has taken a few weeks longer than expected, but I fully expect this to be live around the end of the month.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 52
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/19/2010 7:34:20 PM   
Eric

Oh yes, and by popular demand in the MY CELLAR view the count of pending bottles is now broken out from in-stock and is shown in parens.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 53
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/19/2010 8:03:59 PM   
gbm

I love you man!  Really.

(Need to switch forums now...got some filling in to do in the "I Just Drank" thread...if I don't get lost on the way there).  

Greg

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 54
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/22/2010 11:08:08 AM   
Eric

Past few days of smaller fixes:
  • Various style fixes related to tables on forms in particular including the bulk purchase form. All are largely fallout from the pending changes to move to full fluid width.
  • I fixed some international date formatting in the purchases view.
  • Not strictly GS related, but I fixed a nagging and long-standing bug related to the editing of bulk import data and an error message that could/would occur when you deleted bulk data.
  • The 2009 Bordeaux Futures report is live in CT: http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Futures&Vintage=2009
  • Most importantly, I spent much of yesterday wrestling with some administrative jobs that had been causing some overnight brownouts: http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=100469&mpage=1&key=&#100650

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 55
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 4/23/2010 3:41:55 AM   
rjsmall

Never knew I could get so passionate about forms of punctuation but I love having the parenthesis back!

That's what makes Eric great - he listens to the feedback.

Cheers,

rjsmall

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 56
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 5/23/2010 1:56:55 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

Thanks Colonel. The forum opening should be unchanged from CT btw. Unless perhaps if you click very quickly. Or if not what browser are you using?

Looks like behind the scenes GS is getting better.
I've even worked out why I couldn't open two pages on GS -
I'd switch my GS home page to one which showed tasting notes and from here when you click DISCUSSION it switches page.
When I put my home page back to the real one (as I have set in CT) it opens the separate page ;)

When is the new improved "broad spread" GS due?
(sorry if I've missed that elsewhere)

L.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 57
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 5/23/2010 8:34:41 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

When is the new improved "broad spread" GS due?
(sorry if I've missed that elsewhere)

L.

It was due 3-4 weeks ago, but I've gotten bogged down with other unrelated things and haven't finished the last little bit.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 58
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 5/24/2010 6:03:41 AM   
TexasWineGeek

Eric,

I think I have asked you before, however, I can access CT from my DOD computer but when I try the same with GS it denies access.  Any idea why the firewall can discriminate between the two?

Billy T

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 59
RE: NEW SITE UPDATES - 5/24/2010 9:25:57 AM   
Eric

Billy, I wish I knew why or how to contest it, but you should probably thank your stars that for now CellarTracker is not blocked.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: NEW SITE UPDATES Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI