CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 8:40:20 AM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

I am in the software industry and one of the reactions you can 100% bank your money on is "I dont like it" when you release a new product - especially one that is as widely used as CT. I felt like this when I started using Office 2007 - now I love it. I have played with the new CT and I have to say I dont like it at the moment, but I am used to being on the receiving end of this kind of reaction day in, day out at work so I am trying not to be like my clients, most of which I loathe with a passion ( Freud would have a field day with me).

Therefore, I'm giving it time to re-educate myself and give myself time to adapt. This is a Beta version so any little wrinkles i am sure will be ironed out.

I do miss my home page, though!!!

I agree Paul. I'm in software industry also and the reactions I've seen are typical an no surprise. This is still the Beta version and people should not expect to master it in one or two days. Be patient and give it some time. After Eric takes suggestions and makes changes, I think things will be much better down the road.  

< Message edited by J2K -- 2/28/2010 8:43:16 AM >

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 61
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 8:46:36 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric Guido

quote:

ORIGINAL: J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

From Home page, look under Popular Wines, Recently Reviewed, Tasting Notes on My Wine Only

It's a 3-step process. And I don't like it....... yet

I would go to CT (Old) 5-7 times a day and look at what people had posted on wines that I own. It took me a while of putzing around to finally find it when I started working with it today. It's there, but I liked the "In my face" there before.

Where is that on GS?

Did anyone answer this question, I'm still looking for it. I agree that it was my favorite view of the old site.

Yeah, that's an easy one, on your home page look at the Popular wines tab, click on the Recently Reviewed tab and choose Tasting notes on my wines only. After you do it once, it will stick forever (unless you change it yourself).

(in reply to Eric Guido)
Post #: 62
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 8:50:55 AM   
jhannah27

The one I still don't see is the option to just see recent notes from my Favorites.

Anyone have that one figured out yet?

-- Jeremy

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 63
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 8:57:19 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

The one I still don't see is the option to just see recent notes from my Favorites.

I made the search manually and then saved it. I think I'm gonna like that Saved searches-function.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 64
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:04:21 AM   
PSUSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

I made the search manually and then saved it. I think I'm gonna like that Saved searches-function.

This worked great. Thanks for the tip.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 65
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:04:53 AM   
JoeD

I'm sure I have to play around with it some more, but here are my initial comments:

Really wish this was more like the old CT format...is there any way a '"Data view" can be incorporated / this way we can view cellars in the old format

Can you please remove the "like it/don't like it" when adding a tasting note, or at least make it non-mandatory, annoying! I think people will get the message based on the score.

Also, I like on the old CT how you can sort you wines by country/region/etc... having trouble with function in grape stories.

Thanks Eric..Keep up the great work.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 66
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:12:05 AM   
pgm

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

...one of the reactions you can 100% bank your money on is "I dont like it" when you release a new product - especially one that is as widely used as CT.

True from my experience as well. So double thanks, double kudos, and sympathies to Eric for his courageous efforts. Here's my impressions after a few hours of climbing up the learning curve.

First, I'm drooling at the prospects of graphs and charts. Graphs and charts! My sense (my hope) is that our present evaluations are going to sell the new UI short until that part of "My Reports" is available, and that their arrival is going to convert any remaining skeptics. (I'm also anticipating improvements coming from Eric's response to user feedback.) Also, the detail panel in the new "Standard" view is a great addition, in my opinion. FWIW, I think I would prefer to see my TNs above the Community notes.

Regarding the Summary view, I'd ditto remarks that space efficiency should be improved (density increased). The cell margins seem more than needed. I think the additional labeling is a good improvement directed at new users, but the string of data "17 bottles, 3.00%, $1,340.36/$913.79, avg. 1995.6" could be improved as the CT-style string "17 bottles - value: $1,340.36/cost: $913.79 - avg. vintage: 1995.6" instead of the stack:

In My Cellar (17)
Value $1,340 / Cost $914
Average vintage 1995.6

That (and smaller cell margins) would allow more data to be viewed at a glance. It would also be nice to allow that third column be omitted (as with the current reports.

I'm also curious about the increased social networking dimensions. There seems to be less functionality now than previously, at least in my preliminary poking around. I can't find the "wines in common" function, which I've always thought was helpful in identifying people with similar interests and tastes (or better tastes than mine, as it were). I'm also a little puzzled by the "Friend" and "Fan" categories, since for those of us who have public cellars, all "Fans" are functionally the same as "Friends", right? Are there going to be some additional functions or distinctions there that are not yet online? Also, on the "People" profile pages, clicking "More" on the "is a fan" or "fans of" boxes seem to redirect to home or refresh the page with no change.

Enough for now...

(Thanks again, Eric!)

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 67
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:32:34 AM   
slave2thevine

Wow...I have to say, as for right now I still feel like an idiot with this new set up. I don't understand how to create tasting events, I can't get my cellar to display my wines by country & region...I mean I can look at the wines from JUST one region...but I'm a little slow to understand new technology. I'm going to try to start using this new set up every other post in hopes that it will slowly build my comfort with thing...but it's the smaller things that are difficult for me. I don't like having to sign in twice to use the forum...Once I'm in my account...why do I have to re-sign in to access the forum? Small things like that are not IMPORTANT...but they are a pain. I recall there was a way to set it up to a "classic" view...and I'm going to have to try to go back and find that video so I can set mine up that way....till then, I'm happy to tool around and see what I can find. (Also posted in WLTV forum)

(in reply to JoeD)
Post #: 68
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:51:04 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: slave2thevine

I can't get my cellar to display my wines by country & region...I mean I can look at the wines from JUST one region...but I'm a little slow to understand new technology.

When you are in My Cellar, click on the Summary icon (upper right corner, below Advanced Search, the box icon with three bars through it). Once you do so, click on Pick a Preset Combination, and voilá there is Region as one option. Now if I could only make it stick, coz I don't really care where I bought my wines (which seems to be the default summary).

(in reply to slave2thevine)
Post #: 69
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:57:29 AM   
NiklasW

Woops, sorry, that was the Purchases summary, the default My Cellar summary is by producer. 

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 70
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 9:59:49 AM   
wallstreet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

For me the only issue is speed.  I can learn the new interface.

Right now it seems like there is a little bit too much lag in the speed (outside of figuring out the new flow of it).  If in the end I can do more on it, and faster, then great!

Servers getting hammered today, huge traffic, new queries I need to speed up. i agree, way too laggy.

Allocate MORE memory and network bandwidth to your VMware VM's that allocate to your production environment !

Also:

What happened to the capability of a one click sort by per bottle value? Sometimes I pick wines out for a certain price range, it seems I cannot do that anymore.

In the CT version, I click on Value and there it is. Very USEFUL feature. It is probably there, I just don't know how to use it (yet).

Eric , one praise for sure.

I can now just click ONCE on bottles per page and then see my entire cellar by scrolling down! in CT I had to do that every time I logged in! Thank you for this feature on grapes!, it was a real pet peeve of mine on the CT system.

And before I pass judgement or make a bunch of recommendations (my opinions) I will want to play with this system for awhile. Like anything NEW, it changes the way you do things. It might be for the better , it might not, but until I get used to it and have some experience, I think some peoples negative comments might be premature. I am sure there will be a bunch of good suggestions and it will make the system even that much better.

But before some of you folks beat up on Eric or "grapes", let's give it some time to get used to it. The thing has been up only a day. I will be making my own list of suggestions , especially on reports, but I want to LEARN the system first. I believe that is truly the only way you can make sound recommendations and comments.

< Message edited by wallstreet -- 2/28/2010 10:03:54 AM >

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 71
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:10:04 AM   
Eric Guido

quote:

Yeah, that's an easy one, on your home page look at the Popular wines tab, click on the Recently Reviewed tab and choose Tasting notes on my wines only. After you do it once, it will stick forever (unless you change it yourself).

Thanks, that worked great.

I really think it's just a matter of getting used to the new software for me. I feel that the networking aspects of the new software are exactly what the old cellar tracker were missing.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 72
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:14:47 AM   
J2K

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: slave2thevine

I can't get my cellar to display my wines by country & region...I mean I can look at the wines from JUST one region...but I'm a little slow to understand new technology.

When you are in My Cellar, click on the Summary icon (upper right corner, below Advanced Search, the box icon with three bars through it). Once you do so, click on Pick a Preset Combination, and voilá there is Region as one option. Now if I could only make it stick, coz I don't really care where I bought my wines (which seems to be the default summary).

You can save it after that. I saved my cellar to be viewed as Region-then individual wine

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 73
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:26:59 AM   
mbannon

The new site is definitely much more "Web 2.0" than the old one.  I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly, though I may reminisce occasionally about the old version with its highly concentrated data the same way I reminisce about the Atari 800.

Not sure I'll ever get used to the new name, though.  I understand that it's meant to bring people to the site who do not necessarily want to use the cellar tracking features, but without the CellarTrackers (meaning us) Grape Stories is nothing.  Maybe it should be Cellar Stories.

---------
Tri Me.
Work Me.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 74
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:28:14 AM   
ColoradoRick

Help.

I'm not a software developer like several on this thread.  I use software in the naïve hope of making my life easier.  That's why I was originally drawn to Cellar Tracker.  It was a much better tool than Excel when trying to keep track of my small wine cellar (about 1,300 bottles).

This new version, GrapeStories, seems to spin the model into another direction entirely- a direction that appears not to match my needs.  I understand that this may be a better business model for Eric – and more power to him.  I certainly harbor no ill will.

Will GrapeStories (gad, what a silly mouthful that sad name is?) accomplish what I need?  I suppose so, but at the expense of having to work with/around a bunch of stuff that I don’t want or need.

So fellow geeks: What other software is out there that manages cellar inventory well and good?  I’m seeking something simple that avoids the Microsoft pattern of bloat and the perpetual need for increased resources.   Has anyone shopped for wine software lately?    If so, what looks interesting? 

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 75
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:48:10 AM   
fingers

I still can't find my favorite authors. Shouldn't that be on or near my home page, where there is Friends & Fans? Or at least under the People tab but I don't see it there, either.

And the lower right box, Most Active People - I really don't need that

(in reply to ColoradoRick)
Post #: 76
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:50:24 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColoradoRick

Help.

I'm not a software developer like several on this thread.  I use software in the naïve hope of making my life easier.  That's why I was originally drawn to Cellar Tracker.  It was a much better tool than Excel when trying to keep track of my small wine cellar (about 1,300 bottles).

This new version, GrapeStories, seems to spin the model into another direction entirely- a direction that appears not to match my needs.  I understand that this may be a better business model for Eric – and more power to him.  I certainly harbor no ill will.

Will GrapeStories (gad, what a silly mouthful that sad name is?) accomplish what I need?  I suppose so, but at the expense of having to work with/around a bunch of stuff that I don’t want or need.

So fellow geeks: What other software is out there that manages cellar inventory well and good?  I’m seeking something simple that avoids the Microsoft pattern of bloat and the perpetual need for increased resources.   Has anyone shopped for wine software lately?    If so, what looks interesting? 

The original cellar tracker is still available to you. The "new one" is a BETA. That means that we are to use it (if we choose too) and report problems and issues back to Eric so that take those issues and concerns back to his design gurus to improve it for everyone.

One this I would like to see is a single, organized place for us to report bugs, issues, concerns, etc. I feel like Eric must certainly be trying to organize these things from 10 different locations right now.

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

Post #: 77
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:58:01 AM   
ColoradoRick

quote:

The original cellar tracker is still available to you. The "new one" is a BETA. That means that we are to use it (if we choose too) and report problems and issues back to Eric so that take those issues and concerns back to his design gurus to improve it for everyone.
quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

Sure, this much I do understand.  I suppose that my real issue this.  Cellar Tracker “tracks” stuff in my cellar.  It works really well, in large measure, because of its simplicity of purpose.    Grapestories appears to be primarily aimed as another entry into the social media world of Facebook, Twitter, et al.  What I originally bought was tracker software.  I am FAR less interested in access to another social media outlet - regardless of my personal addiction to all things wine.  Make sense?    Know any good wine inventory software? 

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 78
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:58:40 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColoradoRick

You're asking the wrong people.
L.

Post #: 79
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:05:24 AM   
deb293

quote:

One this I would like to see is a single, organized place for us to report bugs, issues, concerns, etc. I feel like Eric must certainly be trying to organize these things from 10 different locations right now.ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

This thread seems to be as good a place as any.

Post #: 80
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:06:15 AM   
ksmith

ColoradoRick,
Don't panic.  CT is still the best cellar management tool around, and when Eric finishes adapting this version to reflect all our input, it will be miles ahead of the nearest competitor!

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 81
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:07:36 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

quote:

One this I would like to see is a single, organized place for us to report bugs, issues, concerns, etc. I feel like Eric must certainly be trying to organize these things from 10 different locations right now.ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

This is the right place -
http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=92500

L.

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 82
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:09:33 AM   
deb293

quote:

I still can't find my favorite authors. Shouldn't that be on or near my home page, where there is Friends & Fans? Or at least under the People tab but I don't see it there, either. ORIGINAL: fingers

fingers, go to your personal profile.  If I get it right, you have 379 favorite authors.  They are listed on the left side, under your picture.  But you have to tab through pages to see them all.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 83
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:13:44 AM   
pgm

ColoradoRick, I think the answer most of us would give you is "No, there is no better inventory management software." I think you could search this Forum for past threads comparing cellar management software, but those strings would be from years ago. Cellartracker kinda killed the segment, and I don't think there's competition left.

Post #: 84
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:20:56 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

quote:

quote:

This is the right place -
http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=92500

L.

That may be the right place, but it's not the only place. I'm sure Eric is getting feedback from here, there, and everywhere in between.

As a long time software developer, a simple organized place for tracking issues is very helpful.

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 85
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:37:47 AM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I still can't find my favorite authors. Shouldn't that be on or near my home page, where there is Friends & Fans? Or at least under the People tab but I don't see it there, either.

And the lower right box, Most Active People - I really don't need that

Fingers,
     The favorite authors might not be available in the Beta version yet. It would probably be under the Freinds & Fans but if you notice, nothing happens when you click on Fans, because its niot complete in the beta version.....yet.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 86
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:38:06 AM   
NiklasW

I think Eric should (and I hope he has), just step back for a couple of days and let us sort things out for ourselves before we get to the real issues. At least for me, many of the complaints I've posted, I then figured out for myself or read somebody else's suggestion. Just a question of getting used to where things are in the new UI. For sure Eric shouldn't be taking anything personally! We are all different and have different ways of expressing our opinions.

Oh, and ColoradoRick, there ain't nuthin' better out there. Use the old interface if using a beta version is not to your taste. Once the real deal is out, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Post #: 87
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:42:06 AM   
wineismylife

Does anybody know if there's a way to do an Advanced Search on the Bottle Note field looking for multiple values?  I use that field for determining when to drink a bottle.  I'd like to search for "2008 or 2009 or 2010".  That sort of thing.

Post #: 88
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:48:35 AM   
deb293

quote:

The favorite authors might not be available in the Beta version yet.ORIGINAL: J2K

It is available.  You have 26 favorite authors. GrapeStories counts them for you quickly, whereas CT did not do this in your profile (although you could scroll through the community favorites pretty easily). Look at your profile page, same as in the past.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 2/28/2010 11:52:44 AM >

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 89
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:52:23 AM   
fingers

quote:

quote:

I still can't find my favorite authors. Shouldn't that be on or near my home page, where there is Friends & Fans? Or at least under the People tab but I don't see it there, either. ORIGINAL: fingers

fingers, go to your personal profile.  If I get it right, you have 379 favorite authors.  They are listed on the left side, under your picture.  But you have to tab through pages to see them all.

My personal profile has nothing about fans / favorites or otherwise

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI